Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

lloydcynlloydcyn Posts: 1
has anyone had any problems with transmission on 2004 Freestar? we have 80,000 miles on ours and the tranmission is gone. Ford does not cover it - we even bought the 75,000 additional warranty - got screwed on that one

Comments

• To lloydcyn. Testerday I was accelerating onto a highway and all of a sudden my 2004 Freestar started to buck and shake like the transmission was slipping. I stopped and checked fluids and all were ok. I started down the road and it was rough and the tachometer was jumping all over the place. To make this story short I got it to the dealer and they said it was two blown fuses related to the powerpoint...cigarette lighter which had confused the computer!! I picked it up today and it is runing alright, but this sure sounds like a slipping transmission to me.
  • This is an interesting comment. I had a little problem with my Freestar yeaterday that I truly believed was a transmission issue but the dealer said not. (See my post on this site #799). I have the extended warranty coverage to 80,000 miles, are you saying that Ford will not cover me if there is a transmission problem?
  • ham2ham2 Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with my 2005 Freestar. they put it in on Monday, got it back on Tuesday. Got it towed back to the dealer on Wednesday. It has the check engine and the transaxle light on. they replaced a computer chip the first time. I have a rental over easter weekend and maybe longer. The van only has 48,000kms on it. :sick:
  • kkabbykkabby Posts: 1
    Ours went out at 40,854 miles (on an out-of-state trip). They want $3000 to replace! AHHHHHHH!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    lloydcn warranty only covered to 75,000 miles so he/she is out of warranty. You should be fine to 80,000 miles.
  • ljacomeljacome Posts: 8
    2004 Freestar 42,000 miles transmission is shot. My waranty was 3 year 30,000 miles. How can the consumer get screwed like this?
  • bri66bri66 Posts: 220
    When I bought my wife's van in 2004 Ford was offering a free 100,000 mile powertrain warranty as an insentive. Are you sure you don't have this powertrain coverage? I believe this was to all it's Freestar models and I remember it was listed by all the Ford dealer ads in my area and for quite a long time window.
    Here is the update. 42,700 miles Planitary shot to pieces blasting metal particals into the system. Overdrive shot causing no gear switch. Dealer can not get van over 10 miles per hour in first gear. I am not covered. Ford customer service called dealer and got them to waive the 150. towing fee and the 128. diagnostic fee. Bottom line. 3,500. for a remanufactured trans. FYI difference between remanufacture (Everything is back Ford Specifications) means screwed again. Rebuilt (just the broken pieces are fixed). Today when I go home I had a letter from the original dealership where I got the van. Here is the quote from the letter. (anybody wants a copy I will fax.) " We need acquire several pre-owned 2004 Ford Freestars by Monday in order fulfill special used vehicle requests. Our records indicate you own one of these vehicles and our new car managers have been authorized to buy back your current vehicle."

The only piece that looks like a mail merge is the dealers name.
    Sorry to hear about your Freestar. Since you ahve nothing to lose, I would keep pushing to get Ford to at least split the cost. If not, call your local tranny shop and see what they charge. It will definitely be less. You already know how long a Ford spec transmission will last in you Freestar. so you ahve nothing to lose by going to an independent shop.
  • revjohnrevjohn Posts: 3
    I saw your posting and wanted to ask a question. My '04 Freestar (bought used from dealership) recently started emitting a high pitched whine when driving (not all the time, but a lot). I took it to the dealership and they said it was the Planateriu gears in the transmission and that this sometimes happened. I haven't noticed any performance issues, but after seeing your posting became concerned that my transmission is going to explode!!! Any advice? By the way, this started happening about a month after the vehicle went out of warranty.
    My planateriu broke into pieces sending metal throughout the transmission and oil. I would get a second opinion to see if it needs to be replaced. It cost 3,600. final bill. Then when I went, they had not even fixed the front Hub and rotar recall that they said they would so I had to leave the van again.
  • lesmarklesmark Posts: 2
    My 2004 Freestar has 45,000. miles on it and the transmission completely went out...Ford does not cover it. My mechanic said same thing happened to his moms with 75,000 miles on it. The service mgr at our local ford says he's seen this several times before. Obviously a big problem but is Ford doing anything to fix the problem?.
    I sent a letter into ford requesting reimbursement for the new transmission. Robin of Corp Headquarters called me back and in her terms, " In the presence of customer satisfaction, we would like to pay for 25%" I said 25% this does not make me happy. out of 3500. on a car that has less then 45,000 miles on it and is less then two years old you want to give me 825. dollars? She said yes. I asked for it writing, she said it would not be a good idea for Ford to put it in writing. I told her I needed to discuss it with my husband. My husband called and she stated that withdraw the offer because we would not be completely satisfied. Never heard from them again. Anyone who has or had a transmission go under 50K like this, please email me at laurenjacome@yahoo.com. I will be contacting 7 on your side or channel 2's shame on you.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    Not to defend Ford, but if I was offered $825 Towards the repair, I'd take it. With their very short 3/36,000 warranty, they are not obligated to give you anything. They don't care if you never buy another minivan from them because their sales are so low that they are discontinuing them. You have to make it your mission to tell everyone you know, never to buy a Ford product. Maybe park yours in front of the dealership with big lemon/explanation signs. If you had a 2004 Chrysler/Dodge minivan the repair would be covered as they USED to have a 7/70,000 powertrain warranty. Starting in 2006, they also are only offering the same short 3/36,000 warranty. That really irks me, I could buy a used 2004 or 2005 and have a better powertrain warranty than if I purchased a brand new van :mad:
    I did not say that I would not accept it. What I said was that it made me very unhappy to have to replace the transmission at 43,000 miles for 3,500.00 and all they wanted to offer was $825.00 what kind of customer satisfaction is that? The dealer stated it was due to an Interal fault in the engine. I advised her that my husband would call her and when he did the next day, the offer no longer stood.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than unhappy, and then to top it off, they withdraw the offer because: what's the matter? you're not happy? I'm sure you will NEVER purchase another Ford product. I also find it highly unlikely that an "internal fault of the engine" caused your transmission failure, but rather a weak or poorly designed transmission for this application.
    The Ford dealer invoice states that it was an internal fault in the engine. The planitairy (not sure how it is spelled) broke off and the metal peices broke off and flowed throught the engine. :( :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Sounds like a crock of $#!+ to me. The planetary (gear) is part of the transmission, if that disintegrated, how would that be a fault of the engine, and how would the pieces flow thru the engine? Surely, the engine must also be damaged if pieces of a large gear are floating around inside.
  • What do we do if our transmission goes?

Here is my sad story.....

3/2005 bought used 2004 Ford Freestar SES in NYS. Had 24,000 on it. 6/2006 tranmission dies, 55,000. miles on it in NC. Take it to local AAMACO, find out that transmission has already been replaced. AAMACO knows that it has been replaced because the serial # on the transmission starts with FQR = Ford Quality Reman.

The repair isnt on the records by my VIN #.

What should my step be? I already called the dealer that I bought it from , and he has no information.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Did you buy this vehicle from a Ford dealership? If so, they should be able to track the serial number for you. Also, I thought Ford "certified" their used cars and carry a longer powertrain warranty (up to 60,000 miles).

If this was not a ford dealership that sold you the vehicle, you are probably out of luck.