Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• johnsevjohnsev Posts: 4
    Thanks it is a 2004. Mercury Monterey which is the same as the Freestar. I'll let you know today if they want us to replace the trans.
  • misty10misty10 Posts: 23
    Hi Jim,
    Did read that article at corporateabuse.net and it was perfect but we still need someone to do something for us. Ford is well aware of this problem and worst of all is still getting away with it..at our expense. We need someone to hear us and help, maybe this article will be a start. Thanks.
  • jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Misty10,
    Happy to see that you are still engaged in this issue. If there is one thing that I have learned in many years of experience with the legal system, especially issues such as this, it is that these things take alot of time to unfold. This is part of the reason that Ford rolled the dice and took the approach that they did with this nightmare. It is the classic David v. Goliath scenario. They know that your battle as the consumer is uphill and that you as an individual are limited in your resources of both time and money. They also know that most people will be content to just take their abuse and move on, whatever the reasons might be. (Fear, intimidation, lack of knowledge of the legal system, etc.,). What they apparently have taken for granted is the awesome power of the internet and the ability that it gives us to communicate and pool our resources and knowledge. Afterall, how else would we all have ever "met" eachother. What we can't do is forget or give up. As I have stated many times before, our case is like a brick wall. Every bit of information, every report to NHTSA, every report to the Center for Auto Safety, every post on this website, the article on corporateabuse.net, is another brick in that wall. Conversely, every person on the inside at Ford who developes a concience and comes forward with information is our ability to dismantle the wall that Ford has built to protect themselves from people like us. I believe that, as each day goes by and as Ford continues to struggle in the marketplace and lay off workers, that the odds of a former employee coming forward to help us get better and better. If you recall, in a previous post, someone knew of someone who worked at the Customer Relationship Center and provided some insight into how that sham works. It is just a matter of time before Ford will be held accountable and exposed for the bad actors that they are. (Remember the Explorer rollover case?) Unfortunately, someone had to be killed in one of those crashes before Ford was called out on it. Hopefully no one will have to lose their life when another Freestar/Monteray transmission fails for this situation to be resolved. In the meantime, keep the faith, spread the word, and NEVER GIVE UP!!!
    Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • mtantmtant Posts: 2
    I have also had the transmission fail @65,800 miles. My "pump" was bad, and I was told my the mechanic, that pumps don't fail unless there is a manufacturing defect with the transmission. I wonder if he would testify to that in court?? LOL Anyway, I opted for the new transmisson with a 3 year 75,000 mile warranty costimg me a little over 3,000! Add me to the long list of people who will never by a FORD again!!
  • cmljnlcmljnl Posts: 1
    2004 Ford Freestar tranny went out on the way to work today ( 88K). No warning signs just slipped out of gear while on highway. I have extended warranty via credit union, but I am afraid I am not going to be able to get them to cover it because I can't produce records showing I changed tranny fluid every 30,000 miles. The mechanic said the failure was not fluid related and that the fluid was fine; however because the warranty company is asking for the paperwork I am guessing I am going to get screwed.
  • sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    Get out your warranty booklet. The AX4N transmission in the Freestar is not listed as needing a fluid change every 30K miles. Actually, that transmission isn't listed at all. Makes me think it is a typo, but IMHO, that is the guide you should be following, errors or not. BTW, the transmision model number is on the bottom of the transmission pan. Good luck.
  • sec6sec6 Posts: 1
    I am the not so happy owner of a 2004 Freestar with the same problem. It is at the dealership as we speak. They said that I must have had the vehicle in a flood or something. I had the crank shaft replaced in August of 2007 at 60,000 miles and when the trans started shifting hard, whining in overdrive, losing power while driving down the road, and the transaxle light came on, we took it back to the dealership. They are telling me that it isn't covered by waranty and that I should claim it on my insurance. Being an insurance agent, I know that I don't want a claim on my insurance. Also, I have a $500 deductible. SO - if you have a low deductible, you could probably get yours fixed if you haven't already, by claming it on your insurance if it is caused by water - I haven't ever heard of this. I think that if the dealership didn't seal the transmission properly when they fixed it only 10 months ago, that they should be fixing this problem. I can't imagine that they make a car that you cannot drive while it is raining out. :mad:
  • Hi-
    I posted several months ago that we had had our transmission replaced again in December and so far it was working good. Guess what - it's going in again tomorrow. It's doing something a little different this time - making noise when the acceleration stops - but according to the guys at our shop - it's the trans. This car is an absolute disaster. I was reading postings about the tires and doors and found them very interesting. I have been driving cars for about 30 years and I have had a tire problem twice in all that time. I have taken this car in more times than I can count for leaking where the light comes on. Also, we had the power door parts replaced before the warrantly was up because of numerous problems with them. Since the warranty the doors act up about once every two weeks. No wonder Ford only made this product for a couple of years. What a mess this car is. I have already filed the complaints. I just can't believe Ford is not standing behind their product at all.
    Classic FORD BLAME-THE-CONSUMER FRAUD. What a crock. What's next? You can't drive when it's hot out? Cold out? Wake up NHTSA! Wake up Attorney's General of these United States! Do your job and prosecute this fraud and protect the consumer!
  • cowboys59cowboys59 Posts: 38
    I haven't been on the website for a while as I have been crazy buzy but I wanted to respond to your posting. I too have a 2004 Mercury Monterey. The transmission went at 44,000. It cost over $3200 at AAMCO (Ford will not see a penny of my money ever again!). I have the extended warranty which Ford would not honor as I didn't have my transmission fluid changed at 30,000 miles. Two different Ford dealerships lied to me. They both claimed that they had never seen this problem before. The dealerships were Koons Ford of Leesburg and Kip Kilmons Ford at Tysons Corner. I have no doubt the mechanics are told to lie. Anyway, the mechanics at AAMCO explained to me that the engines that are in the Ford and Mercury Minivans are too powerful for the transmission. That is why the transmissions are all burning out. It is without a doubt a design flaw. It is in no way an owner mistake. We didn't cause it and COULD NOT HAVE PREVENTED IT! Anyway, Ford is a horrible company. I will never own another Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury. The sad part is I have been a Mercury owner for life. Time to go to Honda or Toyota. So much for American made.
    Maybe we will eventually get Ford to have to do the right thing. They are obviously not going to do this without being forced to.
    Good luck.
    Kelly Lilly
    Sterling, VA
  • cowboys59cowboys59 Posts: 38
    Hey Jim!
    How are you. I am sorry I have been gone for so long. I have been so busy but I am back.
    I filed another report with NHTSA. I can't find the old one. How do I look up to see how many of us there are with the same problem. I could only find searching one year at a time. Is there a better way.
    Hope you are well and are having some luck getting this crooks!
    Take care,
    Kelly Lilly
  • Hello ALL,

I just read a few letters that everone wrote. I am so floored by all this. On 6/28/08 on the way home from TN only had about 11/2 hrs left to go to get home and with no warning the Transmission went out and only 84,000 miles. Thank goodness for my dad he was able to come get us and tow the van home. Please let me know of any lawsuits I want to be a part of it. So now with 2 adults and 3 kids we are down to a 3 seater truck. So now I have to find another vehicle until this junk fixed.

Heather
    Frederick, MD
    welcome to our Ford Freestar Fanclub Heather in Frederick! Consider yourself lucky that you got 84K out of yours before it left you stranded. Ours had 45K when it left my wife and 5 out of 6 of our children in the middle of an intersection! we are lucky no one got injured or killed. As for the class action, it is just a matter of time before all of this comes together. I don't expect much over the summer with everyone on vacation, etc,. But stay tuned! It took the Explorer situation a while to get going and look how that turned out. In the meantime, report your failure to NHTSA. One more complaint is one more complaint that they can't ignore and make excuses why they didn't intervene before someone gets killed or injured driving one of these defective vehicles.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    That is my story exactly! My dealership was Koons Ford of Annapolis! Coincidence? I think not! I can't wait to get those cowards and liars in a courtroom in front of a judge. How can NHTSA and the Attorney's General of the states that we live in-I contacted mine and I know someone contacted the office in VA-ignore this pattern of fraud and deception? How can Ford think that we are so stupid that we wouldn't find eachother on the internet and band together? Wake up NHTSA! This is a defective vehicle due to a design flaw and everybody knows it. One can only assume that NHTSA is in Ford's hip pocket. There has to be some sort of arrangement for the government agency that is supposed to protect the consumer to turn a blind eye this disaster. I wonder what the response is going to be when someone gets killed in one of these things and the posts on this forum and all the complaints to NHTSA are plastered all over the news. That reminds me. I found out why none of the television stations that I have contacted are willing to take this story on-MONEY. The management of these stations does not want to alienate Ford as an advertiser. How pathetic is that? They are more than willing to take on small time mom and pop companies but not a cash cow like Ford; that is until they can't ignore it because somebody got killed. How sick and twisted is that? Remember how the Explorer story was all you saw on TV 24-7? I remember seeing the hearings on the Fox News Channel. What a country. We don't want to confront the crooks and it's not a story until someone gets killed. Then, it's 24/7 coverage depicting the victims and the surviving family members-rating gold! The worst part of it all is that, at the end of the day, the answer to the WHY? in all of it is the same - MONEY. Keep the faith though. Good triumphs over evil every time.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • I just had the same thing happen to my Mercury Monterey. It's gonna cost me $4,000 to get it replaced. Has anyone had any luck contacting a Ford representative to see if they'll help with the bill?
  • Unfortunately, our 2004 Ford Freestar, 88,000 miles, died at midnight last night.. It wouldn't go forward or reverse. Luckily, we had a working cellphone and AAA came and towed us.

My husband thinks he can just change the torque converter and solve the problem, without changing the whole transmission.

Has this been successful for anyone?

Thanks,
  • misty10misty10 Posts: 23
    Hi,
    Ours did the same thing and we had just the torque converter done....it's also a 2004. It's been over a yr and so far so good. It cost around $1500 I think. Mine just died at an intersection with absolutely no warning at night with my kids in the car. Please be sure you report this as we are all trying to get Ford to do something about it. How could there be almost 30 pages of us all with the same problem? I always send in each new complaint on here to Ford....they must recall this car!
  • 3forme3forme Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 Ford Freestar with almost 80K miles. About 2 months ago, the transmission began to shudder. At first, I thought it was because I changed my driving habits. I try to accelorate keeping the tach about 2K in an effort to save gas. The shuddering only happens sporadically now. After reading these posts (from May 2006 to present), I know the transmission is defective because of Ford, not because of my slower acceleration. I suppose I should be grateful that my van has made it this far, but I fear I'm living on borrowed time. When (not if) the transmission goes, I will file my complaint with the NHTSA(?). What does that stand for? I'm a single mom and student with 3 kids living on $1200 a month, so my financial options are limited. Life will be extremely difficult when the van doesn't run anymore. I wish I could trade in the Freestar and buy a Prius. Oh well. :)
  • skinny62skinny62 Posts: 2
    I need to know what to do, and I am asking for your assistance. We all know that FORD(found on roads dead) is covering this crap up! My 2004 Freestar tranny failed at ~60K(costing me $1850, mechanic is a friend and said that there are a ton of updated parts) and now the 3.9 wristpins failed, so I had to dump $2200 for an engine swap. Detroit customer service just feeds you BS that there are no documented problems, I know everyone out there has a tranny on borrowed time but the engine blew me away(3000 mile MAX oil change interval with FULL synth. Mobil 1). By the way, the 3.9 failed at ~85K. Class action on tranny is a given, motor may be in the future. Where do I go and what do I do to get satisfaction from the WORTHLESS BASTARDS FROM DEARBORN? Rcc823@comcast.net
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I would get the transmission shuddering looked at before a complete failure. Right now, they can probably replace the torque converter. later it will be the entire transmission.