Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Thank you for reporting your failure to NHTSA. This is a very important step! Also, I found it interesting that Koons Ford in Rockville has gone out of business. My troubles were with Koons Ford in Annapolis. I wonder if they are next? It would be a shame because when Joe Koons SR operated that store, this type of thing would never have happened. I knew him and worked for him. He was a good man. I guess this is yet another example of why the "Big 3" are on the verge of collapse. I know that my next vehicles will NOT BE from Ford. Shame too, I had been loyal to Ford for over 20 years and bought 9 new Fords in that period of time. Seven from the same dealership! The treatment I received, at every level of the organization, from the dealer to the "Customer Relationship Center, to Ford HQ in Detroit has sealed that fate, however. NEVER AGAIN! In the meantime, everybody hang in there. Keep spreading the word. Remember, our MAIN GOAL is an informed public with safety in mind. Our secondary goal is for NHTSA to do their job and force a recall. Our third goal is for Ford to step up and do the right thing and repay those of us that it turned its back on. I have still not even put a dent in the loan I had to take out to have our transmission replaced. Our family will be hurting for years to come because of this situation.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • myvan5myvan5 Posts: 1
    I have been reading these forums for about a year - just to get an idea of what problems people are having. I was hoping that our van would make it until we could trade it in or pay it off. Think again!!! Our van also broke down on the highway coming back from the Christmas holiday. I had cruise on and going 70 mph for about two and half hours when with no warning at all the rpms pegged out. We almost had a semi on top of us. Luckily, we were not hit, and were able to coast to the side of the road and down the exit ramp. We had it towed to Ford. Big mistake! They want $3600 for a rebuilt transmission. Granted it would have a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty, but our van isn't even going to last that long!!! Does anyone know what this transmission failure does to an engine? Does a 2004 Freestar have a rev limiter to protect it from such things? The dealer says the noise we hear is from the transmission not the engine. Any ideas?
  • msq1224msq1224 Posts: 16
    I'm sorry that I don't know the answers to any of your mechanical questions, but I had to reply since your incident was so similar to mine! (I'm back around entry~#185 in this very sad list of stories.) Ours was last Christmas, and we spent 3 hours on the side of I-65 in central Indiana. I paid for the Ford repair, and while I continue to drive the vehicle (who wants to buy one????), I'm still ANGRY.
  • I just got my van back from the shop & plan to trade this piece of junk as soon as I'm even on the payoff: about 6 months. There should be a recall for these vans as there are too many doing the same thing and its Ford's responsibility. I've reported mine but I'd like to know of any other agencies that might take up our cause for recourse. I've never had a drive train issue on a vehicle under 100,000 miles.
    First things first; report your incident to NHTSA via their website. They are the federal agency that is SUPPOSED to be looking out for us unsuspecting consumers but thay aren't. One of my main goals of staying so engaged with this cause is to get these vans recalled before someone gets killed. Your scenario is exactly the kind of scenario where someone will get killed. Unfortunately, unless Ford does this voluntarily, which doubt they will, only NHTSA can force a recall. Why they havn't so far is anybody's guess. They have enough information to go on.
    The only other way to force this issue is a class action lawsuit. More on that later...
    In the meantime, tell everyone you know. Tell people that you don't know who are driving their family around in one of these things. You just might save someone's life!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • bgantbgant Posts: 3
    Well, I am joining the club. I bought my van Oct of 2005. New Year's Eve the torque converter went out and had to be replaced. Fortunately, I was covered under the warranty. I was assured by the dealership that I would not have any more issues with that. Well, 3 yrs later (to the date) it went out again. I am in Kansas City, MO. I took it back to dealership that I bought it from. (the same place that fixed it 3 yrs prior.) They are now telling me that I need to replace the torque converter AGAIN. They say they can not find anything else wrong with vehicle. Of course, they are going to knock of 10% because they such givers.

So, I have called some local transmission shops and they are telling me that torque converters don't just "go out". I am also going to go the NHTSA website. I would be more than happy to talk to an attorney if this group ends up going that route.
    I went back through and read all 47 pages of posts. We are all extremely fortunate that we have not been physically hurt. I am going to see about contacting a local class-action law suit attorney.

Brandi
    Kansas City, MO
    Outstanding! Keep us posted on your progress.
    Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • I'm late in my reply largley due to the holidays and being a 48 yr old father/step father to 9 children. Thanks for your response. I share your passion for this issue which is becoming reminiscent of the early model Pintos (early 70's) with the exploding gas tanks when rearended. Funny how they disappeared from production just like these vans have. I believe 2007 was the last year. Only these Freestar tranny failures don't require an accident. They just go out unexpected and yes someone is going to pay with their life/lives eventually if they haven't already. I always research extensively before buying a vehicle: bought my van used in Oct. of 2005. There was virtually nothing online indicating there was a problem with these transmissions. Now all of a sudden, this pattern seems to be occurring DAILY around the country according to the emails and thats just through Edmunds. I'm committed with what feels like very limited ability to act against Ford for myself and for all the others that have been robbed of their hard earned money for costly repairs and even more importantly whose lives have been put in danger by Ford! the same company that has very capably built sound vehicles for a century. Absolutley they are liable & somehow must account for this product.

Steve Cummins
    Joshua, TX
    Well, the attorney I spoke with was quite discouraging. I don't feel that he wants to take this on.

We have decided to have yet another torque converter put into our van. I guess I was fortunate that the spline materials did not get into my transmission. I plan to drive it a few more months until I can trade it in for a NON Ford product. I just worry then who will end up with my van. I could never sell it myself knowing the issues we have all faced.

If anyone else has any luck pursuing a civil suit, please let us know.

Brandi
    Kansas City, MO
    Brandi,
    Don't be discouraged. One attorney out of hundreds of thousands across the country will not break our resolve to get justice and force a recall and accountability for this fiasco. My experience in dealing with attorneys on many issues is that they rarely, if ever, want to stray from their area of expertise or take on a case that they don't feel will be a cakewalk. This is not the type opf attorney we need on this case. We need one who has been personally affected by this, either directly or indirectly, who can not only identify with our pain, but also be motivated by the same things motivate us to seek justice. At the rate that these transmissions are failing, it is just a matter of time before this scenario becomes a reality. In the meantime, keep all of your recepts and, more importantly, keep the faith and spread the word. You just might save someone's life!
    Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • I think I'm the newest victim of FORD. My van just died last night no reverse/drive, good thing it didn't happen when I am driving my daughter home from school. I have to pick her up EVERYDAY at school and go back to work, it just stop working with no warning. All things I read here are the same to what happened to me today. My van is still under warranty until Nov 09 good thing because I don't have money right now. I don't know what to do with this sh.. after they fixed this, if all I read is all complain for this product. I'm from canada by the way.
  • My 06 Freestar died again last Monday. I was luckily driving on a slow street, but it was during a snow storm. I waited a few minutes it did start back up, chugging a bit, and then continued on. It has been over a week and it hasn't done it again. I am waiting on a loaner vehicle from Ford and they are going to keep it for as long as they need, to figure out what is going on.

I also had a piece of trim fall off the door. I HATE this van!

I don't understand how the lemon law would help me if it dies on me and it doesn't show up on their computers and it started back up. Basically it would be my word against theirs if I were to pursue the lemon law.
  • My sister's van just died :sick: . From what I can tell she must have fell victim to the infamous torque converter failure. I'm considering replacing it myself, but not sure whether those metal shaving made it to the transmission. If that's the case she might as well have somebody rebuild it. So far I got a quote for around $1400 for a rebuild and that's including R&I. I think the guy i got the quote from knows what the problem is and that's why his price for the "rebuild" is kinda low. Well I'll check the price of a torque converter and weight my options.

I've always hated domestics, and now my sister learned the hard way not to buy ford ever again.
    F :lemon: O :lemon: R :lemon: D
  • aggiemeaggieme Posts: 10
    The same thing happened to me when I was slowing down on a street. Here was my problem, and hopefully, this may be your solution too:

Following up to my previous post......I brought the vehicle to the delearship where I bought the 2005 van, and they called me first thing this morning. The idle control module was stuck in the closed position, and since they replaced it, the van will run great (or so they tell me). I just wanted to add this to the list of things for people to be aware of as we go through the Ford issues together.
  • Thank you aggieme. My van is now in the hands of a different Ford dealership. I have a loaner and I told them to keep it as long as they needed to. I don't want it back until they know what is wrong with it. I always pass on info. that I read on this board. Thanks for the help. If a problem can't be fixed this time I think we are going to force them into giving us a good trade. Is there any Ford that anyone loves? We have had many Taurus's and never have had a problem until this van. I am considering getting the Taurus X. I love the interior of the Flex, but hate the exterior shape.

There is no way I could sell this van to someone on the street and have a good conscience.
  • kiki6kiki6 Posts: 2
    I am the "lucky" owner of a 2004 Freestar (should have followed my gut instincts as I never wanted the van in the first place but my husband's work lease was up and we thought it would be a wise move to buy it out!). Two days ago, I simply lost power and thankfully, I was not on the highway (I had a very close call with my Dodge trannie blowing in the middle of a highway last year). I am shocked to discover that the Techinical Bulletin was issued and yet, they do not have a legal obligation to issue these bulletins to consumers. The service rep today told me they only have to advise the technical support people at the dealerships but the information stops there. If I had known about this bulletin, I would have never bought this vehicle. I have not had my van fixed yet although one mechanic has advised me that the computer program shows water getting in somewhere?? It looks like we could be in for a big bill from reading some of these emails.

Anyways, thanks for listening and welcoming me to the "club".

Carol (from Canada)
  • Im just ill from all this Freestar CRAP!!!!!!!!! As Ive posted many times before, had tranny rebuilt in Nov. 08. Tonite in reverse, heard like 3 weird "clicking" noises, then finally goes in reverse. Bout hour later put van in drive & hesitates, then feels like tranny slips. We've had this piece of trash for 2 years. I'll NEVER buy a FORD again!!!!! And I tell EVERYONE of their unconcerned attitudes!!!!!!! I HOPE FORD READS THESE. YOU'RE A SORRYCOMPANY!!!!!!!!!!! :P :confuse: :sick: :lemon:
  • skihighskihigh Posts: 15
    I went to the local dealership and asked for a spec sheet so my husband could locate the parts. The guy was kinda unhelpful at first. Saying that he never heard of such a problem and we should bring it. If you get a loud enough, they really don't want you to air their dirty laundry to potential customers and will give you what you want to shut you up. No cost. Sad things is, it is a inexepensive fix. After pending hundreds and thousands of dollars, if someone would have been honest up front, it would have saved a lot of heartache for many people. On the hand, if it doesn't fix the problem, you are only out a few bucks for some foam and silicone and instead of thousands for a tranny that might not fix the problem.
    Sorry I have not kept in contact w/ everyone. Fixing the PCM problem has managed to solve the problem. As it has been in record low temps and snowing and she fires over and runs like a champ!!! THANK GOD!
    Anyway... I did think of you guys b/c the other night I was watching one of those investigation shows (Dateline or 48 hours or something like that). They were in a small town that Ford dumped "sludge" back when they first starting manufacturing autos. There were still traces of paint in the soil. ALL BUT ONE household in this town suffered from CANCER. When they questioned Ford about it, their response was "It wasn't illegal back then". EPA ordered them to clean up another town. They said it was cleaned and upon investigation, it wasn't and they had to go back out. I just couldn't help but to think that all around, the people of Ford have unexceptable customer service and a true lack of human compassion!
    I found the bulletin I was originally referring to (I saved it on my computer). There are some diagrams on there.

http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/tsb/061410.pdf
  • :lemon: :lemon: Thanks skyhigh.... My 70 yr. old hubby & I want to go to Hershey Pa. this spring....but dead deal...(unless we rent a CHEVY....) Can't take our $$$$ sucking FORD!!!!!!!!!! As I stated earlier last week our "rebuilt" tranny's screwing up AGAIN.HESITATING kickin in. NO SURPRIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORD CO. IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P.S. CALLED A DEALERSHIP
    TODAY, FORD. HAD A FREE RECALL CHECK.
    WHEN I ASKED OF A TRANNY RECALL CHECK,
    GUY GOT OFF PHONE QUICK. :mad: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Hi, this is my first time on this forum. I am surprised as to how many people have been affected by this. I thought that I did something wrong, but now I see that it is a manufacturing defect / nightmare. Thank God that at least my problem happened after I got to work. I parked at 7am, went to lunch at 12:30pm - but when i went to drive my 05 Freestar, it did not go in gear. I have called many Tranny shops and they are all telling me the same thing... the torque converter.Mine went out at 97,000 miles. The symptoms are exactly as described in many of the postings here. Is there any advice concerning what kind of repairs it needed?
    I work for a Caterpillar Dealer, so I have some understanding as to the technical bulletins that do come out. Believe it or not, a lot of these issues might be addressed in the corporate level, but not necessarily given to the service level. The actual service department might never hear about some of these problems. To them it seems like "lack of proper maintenance". In some cases it can be, but most often it is a problem with the product.
    to think I almost traded my van back in December. Well, that's life.
    I don't know if Ford will ever do a recall... they might not exist when that happens.
  • My tranny got fixed today with a grand total of $2309.87 including labour and parts.
    The guy in the shop said is cheaper because the warranty company is paying for it
    and they have a discount for parts. Shop said about $3000 or more if I were to go somewhere else without the warranty. I don't know if he's telling the truth, the most important thing is my van is running again and I have another year warranty for it.

FORD WAKE UP!! FACE THIS PROBLEM!!HELP US!!

ALL FREESTAR OWNERS GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!
    MAY GOD BE WITH YOU IN YOUR EVERYDAY DRIVING.
  • :lemon: Fallingstar, Not trying to bring you down..... my tranny job was $1495.00 (rebuilt). I HAD TO PAY FOR IT. I too now have a 1 yr. warranty. BUT....... They know it won't happen again for probably 3000 miles. Nov.08 when got our's fixed... Jan.now, already acting up...... FORD SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Well... got my van out of the shop-- running like a champ. Going straight to trade it in.... Honda... here we come.
  • I just got my van back from the shop. They found water was getting in my power control module. It was replaced and sealed up. Hopefully that is the end of my problems. I'm debating trading it in, but I don't want to take a huge loss.

Madmax....Let us know what kind of trade in you get.
    Better to lose money than to lose your life or a loved one.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • shocked1, I know mine it's a bit higher than what other tranny shop charge, that time I don't have a choice I need the van fixed right away and I'm not paying for it anyways
    it's the warranty people. If that money is coming from my wallet I will look for the cheapest guys for sure. I'll keep you posted on what will happen to my van. Could you please tell me what do you hear or whats the van doing when it's acting up. Thanks.
  • fallingstar, didn't know if you meant my van. but, if so, my tranny stopped right on the road. got a rebuilt. now it's hesatating in gears. it's ONE BIGGGGG FLUBUP OF FORD'S. love get rid of it before causes a death. I'll buy toyato next time!!!!! FORD IS NOT RESPECTFUL OF CUSTOMER'S SAFETY!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: