Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• More than likely, your Torque converter has failed and caused metal filings to enter the transmission. This results in total transmission failure in which I, as well as most on this forum have experienced. I wouldn't waste alot of money trying quick fixes. Just take it to a transmision shop or the dealer and they'll diagnose it. I just had mine repaired two weeks ago and it cost me $3,800. I got a 3 year and 100,000 mile warranty.

Do like everyone else has and file a complaint to the NHTSA and also call a ford representative. This may reduce your overall cost.

I hope that it's something simple for you but what you described are the tell-tell signs.

Post back after you know the cause.
  • cocoheadcocohead Posts: 3
    Sorry, but I'm just a grunt millwright way at the bottom of the food chain. But if it's any consolation they don't treat the rank and file worker any better when the **** hits the fan about your vehicle. Why should they? It's the joys of payroll deduction.
  • on july 22 my 2006 freestar with 52200 miles no longer had a working tranny. My sister,the kids and I were left stranded 2hours from home with no warning signs. dealer first told me $3200 for new tranny because the plantier? gears were gone. then called back 2 days later and the price went to $4200. we towed the van home and when i called ford they said they could not even open a case without the van being at a dealer. :mad: I have already paid $95 for one dealer to tell me i have a no tranny now thy want me to pay another one. The good news is that we stopped at mcdonalds 4 drinks and werent on the freeway with concreate walls. At least we are still alive. How many are going to be killed before Ford does something
    :confuse:
  • jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Thank goodness no one was hurt. The scary thing is that, everytime this happens and no one gets hurt, the odds become greater that the next incident will result in a serious injury or a death. Ford really needs to demonstarte leadership and confront this issue headon by standing by their customers. The financial toll alone is killing American families like ours. Our incident took place in November of 2007 and we still havn't even put a dent in the principal of the loan we had to take out to pay for a rental and the repairs. It makes me sick that an American Company that American consumers like us have supported to the tune of billions of dollars collectively and, in my case, approaching two hundred thousand dollars individually, would treat us in such a way. I guess it is no wonder that Ford is withering on the vine in North America and has to claim in its TV ad that, "Our quality is now as good as Toyota!" How embarrasing is that? When have you ever heard a company proclaim, "We are finally as good as our competition! It only took us 50 years, but we finally did it!" Lo and behold, Toyota rules the roost and why? BECAUSE THEY BUILD A BETTER PRODUCT AND THEY STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT! Please don't forget to report your incident to NHTSA on their website. It will be one more close call that they can't ignore. Also, stay tuned and keep us informed as to your progress!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • johnsevjohnsev Posts: 4
    Ok I finally went ahead and filed the complaint. It's ridiculous. my van is sitting in my driveway collecting dust. I hope that his page creates a call to action very soon.
  • I also have filed my complaint with NHTSA and will keep everyone informed
    :sick:
    Outstanding! Thank you for doinghat. At the very least, yours is one more complaint closer to NHTSA finally waking up and doing their job, we hope. Stay tuned!

Jim Genovese Annapolis, MD
    Outstanding! Thank you for taking the time to do that. It is very important that NHTSA have as many complaints on file as possible. That way, at some point, somebody in a position of authority over there will have no choice but to stand up and take notice and do the right thing, we hope.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • eranwolferanwolf Posts: 1
    Well add me to the list of transmission failures for this hunk of junk. We have had nothing but issues with our 05 Freestar since the day we bought it. It has been in the shop 3 times because the TRAC will shut off after driving for about 5 minutes. Then the check tires light will come on. The tires are fine and the van was into Ford 3 times for this while the van was under warranty. That is besides the point. My wife was driving down a major highway yesterday with our two kids during rush hour and the van flipped itself into neutral just like every other story on this board. She luckly had the presence of mind to get to the shoulder before she slowed to much. There were no warning signs, etc. I took it to our local garage that I have been going to for years and the owner looked at me and said I will bet you 50.00 its the torque converter!! He said straight up for me to take the van over to Ford and have them look at it and ask them for assistance. I was just like holy crap, this happens that much that you know all this as soon as I bring my car in. What stings even more is that the van has 38255 miles on it!!! Only 2k over the warranty!!! The roadside assistance man wouldnt even talk to my wife when she called and we had to pay to get it towed!! I will keep everyone posted about the end result.
    Please tell us everything they say when you get to the dealership. My guess is that they will act like they have never heard of this before and then they will blame you for not having the trans fluid changed at 30K miles. One way or another, report your incident to NHTSA via their website. This is very important! It is especially important that give all the details like you did in your post. at some point, God willing, NHTSA will wake up and hold Ford accountable for this disaster.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • We are still doing are part to inform our government entities about this Ford mess. We have recently posted some statistics http://corporateabuse.net/2008/08/an-update-to-our-ford-article/, and we continually e-mail Ford for answers about this mess. So keep on fighting Ford, and make as much noise as possible. Oh and BTW lawyers have been hitting this particular article heavily, some are corporate lawyers, others are civil. We will not give up on this battle, so please help us.

Thom
    http://corporateabuse.net
  • I made a complaint on ConsumerAffairs.Com and they have decided to feature my story so it should be up in about 24 hours this is what they said
    Thanks for the consumer report you filed with us recently. We appreciate your telling us about the situation you encountered.

Your complaint has been selected for publication on our site and will appear within the next 48 hours.

Even if you are not able to achieve satisfaction individually, you will at least have the comfort of knowing that thousands of consumers will see your complaint, perhaps enabling them to avoid a similar misfortune. Also, our site is visited regularly by law enforcement agencies, local and national media and consumer organizations and we work closely with all of them to help identify consumer concerns.
    Outstanding!
    Jim Genovese,
    Annapolis, MD
    Great job! Outstanding! This is exactly the kind of thing we all need to keep doing to keep this thing alive and in the public domain. Keep up the good work.

Jim Genovese,
    Annapolis, MD
  • johnsevjohnsev Posts: 4
    How can i help I hav posted here and the govt site that we talk about here what more my van is still sitting in my driveway
  • OMG I just had the same thing happen to me last night 08/04/08 I turned out into traffic on a state route and my van just started coasting just like it had popped into nuetral. I had to coast to the side of the road after nearly causing the cars behind me to pile up after everyone had to hit the brakes to keep from hitting me. I have only owned this van since Jan 2008 and have only 76 K on it. I can not believe this is happening to me. I guess hoping it would be something minor is out of the question. Please let me know what the website is to file a complaint.
  • I too have a 2004 Monterey. My transmission went out at 44,000 miles. I had the extended warranty and figured everything would be taken care of. Ford had other ideas. Since I had not changed the transmission fluid at 40,000 miles they said the extended warranty was not valid any longer. It cost me $3500 (at AAMCO, not Ford. I will not give them a penny). Read through the postings on this website. You will find out the proper places to lodge your complaint. As this website grows I am getting more optimistic that eventually Ford will have to do the right thing. Just follow the correct paths to notify as many people as possible. Jim Genevese is the most knowledgeable on this situation.
    Good luck. It is a shame that you have joined our little club. I wish you the best.
    Kelly Lilly :lemon:
    Again, thank goodness no one got hurt. It is amazing that this happens so often and no one has been hurt or killed. Sadly, the odds of this type of tragedy are getting shorter and shorter. It is a shame, in the most literal sense of the word that Ford continues to sit idly by while thousands of families who counted on them, their reputation, and their marketing of these vans as, "The safest in their class," are ruined financially because their transmission has already failed or are sitting ducks, waiting for this to happen to them. What I really don't understand is how the thousands of moms who work for Ford at all levels of the chain of command could sit idly by and do nothing. I know that my wife would stand up, even at the risk of losing her job, and do the right thing here. Anyway, the website to register your complaint with is NHTSA. They are the govermnet agency who's job it is to protect the consumer from situations just such as this, warn the public, and hold the manufacturer responsible. So far however; they have not done their job. Do not let that discourage you from lodging your complaint. The more complaints that they get, the harder it will be to keep their heads buried in the sand. Moreover, if, God forbid, their is a fatality that can be linked to this defect, they can't say that they were not informed. (My belief is that there have already been fatalities but they just havn't been properly linked to this defect. Due to the nature and mechanics of the failure and the resulting lack of control over the vehicle's speed, the odds are that a fatal, or near fatal, collision has already been caused by this defect.)

Please keep yourself engaged in this endeavor, spread the word, lodge your complaint, and stay tuned!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • :mad: Add me to the list at 82000 miles. On Jul 29, 2008, I was driving home from a local amusement park when I has to stop at a red light. When I tried to go when the light turned green, all that happened was the engine just revved up. I had it towed to a transmission shop to have it looked at and they told me that the torque converter had blown up and that the valve body inside the tranny was shot. Well long story short, the bill was $3060.00. The van is barely worth that if I were to trade it in. This is not the first issue that I have had with this vehicle. In Apr 2006, my wife was pulling into our bank when a torsion bar broke off the rear axle. Luckily she was only going ~5mph when it happened. When we took it to the dealer, the service writer told me that he had never seen this before. We called Ford's customer service and were told that we were out luck. I have been a Ford guy all my life but after owning this van and getting the runaround from Ford, I will NEVER buy another Ford in my life.
  • Just to let you know that my Freestar :lemon: is a 2007 and this problem has been happening since january of this year. Ford has tried to fix it on 5 different occassions... and when the 6th incident happened they were more concerned if I pushed the button of the computer they put in my van to record problems then my safety. Lets say i was too concerned for my life to push a dam button. I left the van on the road called Ford to pick it up (this was on May 30) and have now since stopped all payments to ford and have gotten a lawyer involved.... It is true what Jim says that Ford denies this problem, they even had the nerve to ask me to let them try and fix it one more time... so i told them sure go ahead then get your wife and kids to drive around in it and tell me how you feel. I am sure this will be a long battle but I will not give up... Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated. :mad:

I used this van daily for work as well as drive my 3 kids around I just thank God that nothing serious happened to them.

Claudia
    Toronto, ON