Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• Hey ya'll , This is my first post...Just want to say that I have a 2004 Ford Freestar and the transmission went out without warning on I -26 Going to Charlotte for Thanksgiving.Does anyone know of a recall on the transmisssion? I think it's pretty pathetic that a car that is four years old would have this type of problem..I also had to replace an egr valve, an intake manifold runner...and now possibly a mas [mass airflow sensor],has anyone else out there gone through these type of problems literally days apart? Thanks in advance.
  • Welcome to the unfortunate club of miserable freestar/monterey owners...No, there is no recall as you have probably figured out from this board. Our 04 transmission went out at 59000 miles w/o warning also. Your dealer and sevice people will tell you that you are the first person with this problem that they have seen. Sorry... :sick: :lemon:
  • Thanks for the info, Jim. I avoided the Ford dealer since my warranty was up. I will report this to the NHTSA website as you suggested.

Dave Hagerman
    Bear, DE
  • my 2004 monty has 60000 miles on it. I bought it used with 58k. Over the Thanksgiving weekend the van would all of the sudden jerk while travelling at highway speeds. This happened probably 6 times in approximately 100 miles during our trip home from our family gathering. The jerk felt like it would be if your tires were spinning on a patch of ice and then you hit dry pavement. It is sudden but lasts less than a second then back to smooth sailing. The transmission shifts ok but softer than i would like. I do not detect any excess slippage, but with my mpg average being around 16 i wonder if it could be and i just dont notive. If anyone knows weather this jerking is related to or a symptom of a failing torque converter please let me know. Also is there a replacement torque converter on the market that is not prone to the failure that has been reported on this forum. Sadly i think i soon will be a victim of a failed tranny. :confuse:
  • Hello all you lucky FORD owners!!! :sick: NO, there's no recalls.... But our tranny repairmen stated they've seen alot of :sick: 2004 FREESTARS. Im VERYYYYY paronoid now of ours, repaired. I did report it to NASTH. good luck
  • :( I also own a 2004 Freestar. Bought it certified about 20k ago and it now has 60k. In the last 2k miles it has been in for transmission issues three times and is now in again for the same. Its symptoms are similar to those that you all have posted: lurching in the transmission, not shifting into gear, and also it revs out of control when the transmission won't engage. The first time a output shaft speed sensor was replaced. A second time the turbine shaft speed sensor was replaced. Time three the powertrain control module was replaced. I am currently waiting to here what it is this time. I am fortunate to have it still be under warranty, but the undependability of it concerns me. My wife who works third shift drives it and I am concerned that it will strand her in an unsafe area. Even after this repair how can I trust it?
  • You CAN'T ever depend on your 2004 again!!! My own transmission repair man told me that I can't. Cost me $1495.00. Again NOOOOOO warning. We're afraid to take it to see family 87 miles. :( Ford is SO unfair to us. I hope they DON'T get their "billion $$$$$ bale out"!!!!!!!!!!
  • ref2ref2 Posts: 1
    Friday driving on the highway car 75mph,all of a sudden the van just coasted no transmission . I read all the stories and it true.Friday night on a soccer trip with my family on the side of a route 81 south cars flying by me. .It was dangerous. Let me tell you 5-10K is worth every penny BUY a toyota. It's Nissan Tranny. Junk would not ever buy Ford Mercury again. Bailout.Sh..... let them rot I'm out $1700 who wants to bail me out..NEVER AGAIN FORD/MERCURY...
  • We just had the torque converter and front pump replaced at 68,845 miles. I also had to replace the Air Conditioner compressor at 42,000 miles.

In the 48,000 miles that we have owned this van it has cost in excess of $2,600 to repair things that should not have failed. Ford your quality of your vehicles is unacceptable. When we replace this vehicle we will NEVER buy a Ford again.

I wish we never replaced our old 98 Dodge Grand Caravan. It had over 128,000 without either of the expensive repairs listed above.
  • Somewhere in this mess... about a year ago... I posted the same problem For some fluke reason, the van just decided to work again. Then on my way to work last week, it started the SAME thing again. I contacted my good friend and mechanic AGAIN. He ended up coming out to my house. After disconnecting almost everything electrical, he pin-pointed the problem. I am no mechanic, so I am going to explain this in terms that the simple-minded woman I am can comprehend...
    On the underneath is an ABS (Anti-lock break) box. I guess it is common for water to get up inside, freeze, thaw, and corode it. Causing it to malfunction. It then sends a message to the computer system that the wheels are turning at an unexceptable rate, causing the governor to kick it & stall out the vehicle. There are about 20 different things running in to that box, which causes the confusion to the computer when trying to get a code as to what the malfunction is. There for, all the sensors over the years replaced were most likely not malfunctioned. This is a $400 dealership part. I found a used on at the junk yard for $45! I have also seen a couple for sale on Craig's List. Once the part was replaced, she is running like a GEM! I told my mechanic to type in "2004 Ford Freestar transmission problems" on google & see how many complaints of the similar problem were posted. He told me to start replying to them & let people know what it is. It is a very common problem for 2004 & 2005 Freestars. Luckily, one of his co-workers had serviced one & told him how to check it. He knew when he disconnected all the wires & it ran that it was indeed the part. I am not at all exaggerating when I say that there are MULTIPLE electric items going through that box. My dashboard looked like a christmas tree lit up with every light on as well as the speedometer & all the guages did not work.
  • skyhigh.....lucky for you. but mine was total trans went out. and after $1495.00 could again. as you see,most on here are trans. FORD NEEDS A RECALL. :mad:
  • Sorry to hear that. It is VERY frustrating, I know. Especially in these hard economic times when you are struggling to keep what you have... to make a payment on something that isn't reliable. I sold my old vehicle for something newer so that I wouldn't have that problem. After 2 years of guessing games. Infortunately, alot of these posts sounded like the exact problem & it wasn't the transmission. Nobody seemed to have a diagnosis for the problem. My van would not even go in reverse last week. It didn't want to take off from a start. Everyone kept telling me transmission problem also. But my mechanic said that wouldn't cause it to stall out when driving. We knew it was something electrical or sensor. But everytime the machine would code it as crank shaft sensor. I replaced it twice!
    I TOTALLY agree that Ford needs a recall. I tried before to contact Ford & got the run arounds. I also contacted the local news (6 on your side) investigator & added my name to the website to investigate for possible recall.
    Good luck!
  • I am taking my van in today again for an electrical problem. The heated seats went out. I am printing off what you wrote and taking it in. My van has been in the shop about 25 times in the two years I have owned it. The problem before this was when it completely quit working while driving, had it towed, and then it started right up.so they never found the problem. I think your mechanic hit it right on the nose. I have had soooo many different issues, so this would make sense why I have had so many sensors replaced. Thank you!!!
  • >>> my 2004 monty has 60000 miles on it. I bought it used with 58k. Over the Thanksgiving weekend the van would all of the sudden jerk while travelling at highway speeds. This happened probably 6 times in approximately 100 miles during our trip home from our family gathering. The jerk felt like it would be if your tires were spinning on a patch of ice and then you hit dry pavement. It is sudden but lasts less than a second then back to smooth sailing. The transmission shifts ok but softer than i would like. I do not detect any excess slippage, but with my mpg average being around 16 i wonder if it could be and i just dont notive. If anyone knows weather this jerking is related to or a symptom of a failing torque converter please let me know. Also is there a replacement torque converter on the market that is not prone to the failure that has been reported on this forum. Sadly i think i soon will be a victim of a failed tranny

My 2004 Monterey just did this exact thing for the first time the other day. 52,000 miles on it. Just purchased used a month ago and was happy until now. Please don't tell me my transmission is on the way out. I see on another board that lurching could be a pump issue. Hope that's all it is. Did you figure out what your problem was, mercmonty? Note: it was raining hard at the time it happened but I'm almost positive it wasn't hydroplaning because I was driving pretty slow and the road wasn't ponded that bad.
  • Hey everybody. Looks like the hits just keep coming with these Freestar/Monteray transmission failures. I hope evryone is reporting these incidents to NHTSA so we can keep their feet held to the fire. Also, keep spreading the word to anyone and everyone, especially other owners of these vehicles so that they can be aware of the danger that they are in. We can not drop this issue or lose hope.

Stay tuned to this site and stay safe!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • Ford recommends changing the transmission fluid at 30k and 60k. Perhaps you have a fluid related issue. Hard to say.
  • If fluid was the problem all 416 complainers wouldn't be paying for transmissions 2 or 3 times of ownership. :mad:
  • Actually, what we have is a P.O.S. problem. We did all recommended service stuff and still are the sad owners of a crappy van! :P :lemon: :lemon:
  • It is not a fluid issue. It is a defective part and defective engineering. The fluid change interval is Ford's way to say, "Gotcha! It's your fault, not ours." Changing the fluid at 30K would not have prevented our failure. Not only that, my manual does not indicate my transmission as one of the models that they recommend this interval for. Regardless, I checked the fluid just prior to the failure during other regular maintenance and it was fine. Further, my transmission professional with over 20 years of experience agrees with me. Also, see the previous post. There is someone who did the change and still had the failure!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • Amen.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD