Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• The dealership that I bought this from says that they didnt know that it had been replaced. They said there is no record of the repair, so how do I acutally know that it is a replaced transmission. The only warrenty that I got with the vehicle was up to 36,000 miles.

I bought this from a dealership that has many different brands of vehicles. they got the vehicle from their sister store, which was Basil Ford....

TIA
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I'm assuming the dealership was not an authorized FORD dealership since you were only given the original warranty (up to 36,000 miles).

If AAMCO is saying it is a refurbised tranny, get the serial number from them. give customer service a call and explain the situation to them. I'm finding it hard to believe that if this is in fact a refurbished unit, it is not documented somewhere either by the work order, VIN # or part number. there has to be some paper trail to track the part.

I don't think you have any recourse on the tranny repair but something isn't right. If it were me, I would want to know why I have a refurbished tranny in my vehicle and it is not documented esp. since I bought it from a dealer. Too bad ANT14 doesn't frequent this board much. he may be able to give you more suggestion.
  • I own a 2004 ford freestar also. Just recently I have had the flashing light....with no problems due to the transmission, fuild everything check out fine. It has 53,000 miles on it. 3 weeks ago the van started going only 10 mph. We parked it and then brought it a ford dealership to be told that the transmission was burnt up and ran without fuild. Which was not true. We have always bought ford products and been satiafied until now. The treatment that we received as a ford owner alone was no acceptable. I am amazed at your story and the others I have found. Please let me know if you get any satisfaction with ford. thanks
  • I bought a 2004 Monterey with 22k miles on 09/11/2006.In the 3 weeks I have owned the car I have had to take it in 5 times for various issues. The 3 more important being replacement of the ABS Module and power switch, replacement of the HVAC case assembly and more importantly a blown out transmission. They have told me they replaced the torque converter and a shaft in the transmission.

Because I have only had the car for a short period of time and I complained enough, the dealer has offered to take the car back for the full purchase price if I buy another car from them. My question is what has been the experience of those who had the transmission repaired? Should I take the deal or does the car run well once repaired? The car is still at the dealer. Thanks
    Based on the limited activity on this board, i would take the dealer's offer and buy another car. The recent posts on 2 year old Freestars have not been good. Quite honestly if the new tranny went at 22k miles, the rebuilt tranny will probably fail in a similar time frame and mileage.
  • Thank you for the input.
  • maxsaxmaxsax Posts: 1
    I owned a 2000 ford windstar transmission failed at 50 thousand miles.I traded it in for a new 2004 ford freestar.Transmission failed at 40 thousand miles.It is at a ford dealer waiting to see if the extended service contract by ford will pay for repairs.Does anyone know what the failure rate is on these transmissions.
    I'm not sure anyone can give you a failure rate but it seems like the trannies on certain Ford brands (Explorer, Escape, freestar) are having problems. By extended service contract, do you mean extended warranty?
  • My 2004 Freestar had the transmission go today at 41,000 miles. How was your problem resolved?
  • Hey there.

Well, same story, different badge. 2004 Mercury Monterey. Transmission failure at 47XXX going up a hill on a three lane hiway in the rain. We didn't have the extended warranty, so it is going to cost big bucks.

After reading all the posts, we may have to get rid of it before it happens again.
  • I have been searching several posts trying to find answers to my problem. We own an 05 freestar with just 60K miles. Thursday the tranny just croaked without any advance warning. No x-tended warranty, so going to be very expensive. Did have brake problems about 4 months after purchasing, but it seemed to be resolved. If I had researched before purchasing we might have kept our old caravan a little longer. Seems that Fords fix or repair daily is very true when it comes to the Freestar.
  • I JUST HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY TRANNY.I WAS DRIVING AND THE VAN DID NOT RESPOND TO ACCELERATION. I HAD IT TOWED TO A FORD DEALER AND THEY TOLD ME THAT A CONVERTER WAS BAD. THAT PRICE WAS $1600. HE ALSO INFORMED ME THAT IF I GET THAT FIXED AND THE TRANNY GOES OUT IT WOULD BE $3200; SO I GOT THE WHOLE TRANNY REPLACED. MY WARRANTY EXPIRED AT 75K. SO I WAS HOT. I HAVE 79K ON THE VAN
  • DO YOU KNOW OF AN GOOD WARRANTY COMPANY THAT IS GOOD FOR FORD FREESTARS? i'VE BEEN CALLING AROUND AND HAVE NOT FOUND ANY GOOD ONE'S ON THE INTERNET. HAS ANYBODY HAD PROBLEMS WITH THEIR POWER STEERING PUMPS ON THE FREESTAR? I HAVE TO ADD FLUID EVERYDAY INTO THE RESERVIOR TO KEEP IT FROM MAKING THAT LOUD WHINNING NOISE WHEN YOU TURN THE WHEEL. I'M STUCK WITH THIS VAN DUE TO MY LOAN.
    You will be hard pressed to find a compnay that will sell you a warranty on a vehicle with 79k miles on it.

YOu probably should get your power steering looked at. If you are adding fluid, something is wrong.
  • From what I've seen; there are alot of companies out there that will give me a warranty.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    What kind of warranty did you get on your $3200 ( :lemon: ) transmission? I would be very leary of third party warranty companies that would offer one on a Freefall with 79,000 miles. How much longer do you plan on keeping it :confuse:
  • I got a 3/36K warranty on it....I owe more on it than what it's worth.
    What company and how much was the warranty?
  • I think he got a 3/36000 warranty from Ford when purchasing the $3,200 replacement transmission. Chrysler/Dodge also warranties their replacement transmissions for the same time period, but they don't cost $3,200.
    I missed your post when you asked him about the warranty on the tranny. the problem is the second transmission will probably go as well. Hopefully it is after he has paid off the loan and can unload it.