Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    You can file a complaint at The Center for Auto Safety http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint

From their website "The Center for Auto Safety needs public complaints on vehicles to pursue recalls and make auto companies take responsibility for defects. Should you choose to submit a complaint, any personal information contained therein will be used to obtain remedies for the defects about which you complain. For example, we have used individual complaints in public petitions to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in order to obtain recalls of defective automobiles, such as the Ford Pinto for exploding gas tanks."

I believe that Ford will have to correct this. We still live in the country that states "for the people by the people". As our President has stated, "YES WE CAN."

How many of us will ever purchase another Ford? I use to defend them. If they do not take action to correct this, I will never buy another Ford, nor will I stay silent if anyone in my family buys one.

Tell everyone you meet about your experience with the Freestar and Montery. Let them be the judge of Ford.
    I so agree with your comments. It would cost Ford big money to do this except in the long run, I believe that Ford would of gained more respect in being a responsible company. Instead, they choose to jeopardize families safety. They ethically should of pulled these vehicles off the market. If this were the case, I would still be defending them, but instead, they provide me with the desire to learn more about why these situation arise. After educating myself, I learned that Ford has reputation of not being an ethical company. Why would I support this?
    Jim,

Justice will prevail.

I believe with all my heart that something will be done to right this situation. You've been a strong advocate for so many of us on this list.

Thanks.
  • THIS IS SATURDAY MORNING OCTOBER 24 AND I WAS DRIVING MY 2004 FORDFREE STAR AND IT JUST STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF TRAFFIC SO ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHERE I VOICE MY COMPLAINT AND WHAT ELSE I NEED TO DO TO GET THESE BASTARDS BACK BEFORE THEY KILL SOME ONE
    File a complaint with NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm File a complaint with The Center for Auto Safety http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint
    File another with the Better Business Bureau.

Then, read what rights you have under Title 49 of the US Code, and DEMANDthem! You can have a hearing through the Secretary of Transportation, but you have to ask for one. Write your senators, congresspersons, and attorney general.

Did it rain before this happened?

You have just become a member of the Club from Hell. Welcome and sorry you are here!
  • Someone asked for a hearing on PCM,

NHTSA Action Number : DP09004 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
    Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    FORD / FREESTAR 2004

FORD / FREESTAR CONVERSION 2004

Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
    Component :
    POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)

Date Investigation Opened : June 4, 2009
    Date Investigation Closed : Open
    Summary:
    ON MAY 6, 2009, NHTSA RECEIVED A REQUEST FOR "A HEARING THROUGH TITLE 49 OF THE UNITED STATES CODE, CHAPTER 301, MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY, PART 557." THE REQUEST WAS IN REFERENCE TO VEHICLE OWNER COMPLAINT, 10266067, FILED WITH NHTSA ON APRIL 20, 2009, WHICH DESCRIBED A PROBLEM WITH ENGINE STALL IN A MODEL YEAR (MY) 2004 FORD FREESTAR MINIVAN DUE TO WATER ENTERING THE PCM. PART 557 OF TITLE 49 OF THE CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS, ESTABLISHES PROCEDURES FOR HOLDING A HEARING TO DETERMINE WHETHER A MANUFACTURER HAS REASONABLY MET ITS OBLIGATION TO NOTIFY OWNERS OF A SAFETY RELATED DEFECT. BECAUSE A SAFETY RELATED DEFECT HAS NOT BEEN DETERMINED REGARDING THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN MY 2004 FORD FREESTAR VEHICLES, THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION IS INTERPRETING THE REQUEST AS A DEFECT PETITION UNDER PART 552 OF TITLE 49 OF THE CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS. A DEFECT PETITION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS WHETHER THERE IS EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT OPENING A SAFETY DEFECT INVESTIGATION CONCERNING THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES.
  • I traded in my 2005 Freestar Thursday!!! I bought an 09 Ford Explorer (we have always had Fords). The reliability rating is a 9.0 on US NEWS, so I guess we will see. Can't get a better safety rating for the price either.
  • I JUST WANT YOU ALL TO KNOW THAT IAM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM MY TRANNIE WENT OUT AND I NOTIFIED NHTSA FILED A COMPLAINT AND I WANT A BOARD WITH YOU ALL IAM IN THE PROCESS AND THIS MIGHT SOUND ODD BUT IAM WRITING OBAMA A LETTER WITH ALL THAT I HAVE DONE AND LETTING HIM KNOW THAT HE NEEDS TO GET INVOLVED WITH THIS MATTER I DONT KNOW HOW FAR ILL GET BUT IF YOU ALL COULD SENDD ONE TO IT MIGHT HELP FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND HE OWNS SOME OF FORD THANKS REX GET ME UPDATED
  • WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR JASPER TRANSMISSION AT I NEED ONE BUT I REFUSE TO BUY FORD ALSO KEEP YOUR RECIEPT WE MIGHT GET IT BACK IN THE LONG RUN AT LEAST IAM KEEPING ALL MINE THANKS REX
  • IAM IN INDIANAPOLIS ,INDIANA I WILL TRY AND GET SOME UPSET FORD PEOPLE TOGETHER IAM CALLING ALL THE FORD DEALERS MONDAY AND TELLING THEM TO CALL MY CELL NUMBER IF THEY HAVE THE TRANNIE PROBLEM KINDA MISLEAD THEM TO THINK I HAVE A SOLUTION TO THERE PROBLEM AND YOU KNOW AS LAZY AS THEY ARE THEY WILL GIVE MY NUMBER 2 WORDS INTO THE CONVERSATION THANKS REX TRY AND DO THE SAME
    You should file under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). See if NHTSA got the information that Ford is suppose to release to them about costumer complaints. I bet they never got the information or Ford doctored the results.

Still would like to know if it was raining or had rained when people have problems.
  • THE DAY I LOST MY TRANNIE IT HAD RAINED FOR 3 DAYS PRIOR
    At our house, we switched from Chevy to Ford about fifteen years ago, but after this experience, I do not think that I would go back to Ford unless they did something to rectify this situation.

My husband will not have a foreign vehicle in our driveway, but if the American manufactures keep building these "junk" vehicles, we may not have any choice.
    I think the PCM and the transmission problems are all related, and I do not think that the Ford engineers know how to fix this dilemma. What bothers me is that Ford will not recall them.

Writing President Obama is a good thing to do. I wrote to the White House, but did not receive any response. Got a canned form letter from Biden's office. He was my Senator, I worked on his campaign, and many people in my family made contributions to his campaign. Really disappointed with the letter, but the more people who hear our voices, the better.
  • JIM I HAVRE BEEN CLICKING YOUR NAME TRYING TO LEAVE YOU A MESSAGE THE DIRECTIONS YOU SAID ABOUT CLICKING YOUR NAME DONT GET YOU THERE SO IF YOUR NOT GETTING ANY RESPONSES THEN THATS WHY LET US KNOW A BETTER WAT TO GET IN TOUCH OF YOU THANKS
    File a complaint with The Center for Auto Safety
    "http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint<a href="
    The information will get to the right people for the right purposes.
  • JIM I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO POOL THERE MONEY TOGETHER AND HIRE AN ATTORNEY OR A GROUP AND GO AFTER THESE CROOKS,I KNOW BY READING THESES BLOGS THERE SOME OUT THERE EVEN THOSE THAT HAVE PAID TO GET THERES FIXED THEY SHOULD BE WILLING TO DO THIS YOU SEEM LIKE THE PERSON EVERYONE IS TALKING TO IAM MORE THAN WILLING TO GIVE YOU A HAND AND GET THIS THING ROLLING IAM SO UPSET WITH ALL THIS TRANSMISSION REPAIR PEOPLE ACT LIKE THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM AND WE ALL KNOW Y SO THEY CAN GET YOUR VAN AND TEAR IT APART BEFORE THEY TELL US WHAT WE ALREADY KNOW SORRY FOR VENTING IAM WILLING RIGHT NOW TO GIVE 500.00 TOWARDS AN ATTORNEY OR GRUOP OF THEM THINK ABOUT IT IF WE GET HALF OF 178 THAT WOULD MAKE A GOOD RETAINER LET ME KNOW IAM IN INDIANA WILLING TO TRAVEL AND YES I DO WORK AT LEAST 10 HOURS A DAY BUT I CANNOT TAKE THESE CROOKS DOING WHAT THEY ARE DOING SOME PEOPLE ON HEAR HAS PUT 2 OR MORE TRANNIES I THERE VAN LET ME KNOW I WOULD BE WILLING TO SHARE PHONE NUMBERS LET GET THIS ROLLING
    When I spoke to an attorney in May, he told me that it would take $300,000.00 to start a class action lawsuit.

First, I think we need to let NHTSA do their work. There are two investigations underway so they will have their engineers look at these transmissions, and make a determination. They have the power to make Ford issue the recall.

You could take Ford to court yourself and sue them. I think that we should all file claims at one time, and make them send all those lawyer to all the different states to defend these claims. How funny would that be? More funny, how much money would it cost them?

Each state has a different amount of time that you can file a claim. In my state, it is three years. I still have about two and half years left. I do not intend to wait that long, but you also have to have all your ducks line up in a row to win the fight. In the end, I believe that we all want to see the problem corrected.
  • jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Be patient everybody. I don't want to get kicked off of the site. We will come up w/ a better way to communicate about a class action.

In the meantime, follow Nadine's advice and file complaints/reports with the organizations/government agencies that she lists. Also, contact all of your representatives in Congress, your local attorney general, any consumer advocate group you can think of, and, of course, your local media outlets.

I am 100% in agreement with Nadine that something, wether it is a recall or a class action, will happen soon. Keep the faith, spread the word about these vans, especially to other families who drive them and who may not know about this potentially deadly defect, and stay tuned to this website!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • jroysejroyse Posts: 7
    I was worried about the replacement transmission failing also. Still do. However I looked on the NHTSA website: www.safercar.gov under investigation #PE09-033 and you can view the documents related to the case.

Basically for a defect investigation the NHTSA receives the safety concerns from consumers (us with failed transmissions!) and compiles them and other questions into a document request of Ford. You can view all the questions and most of the public responses Ford offers the NHTSA. I am going to summarize here, please read it for yourself. But among one of them is under a routine inspection of failed parts Ford analyzed the torque converter spine shaft and found it was basically not heat-treated correctly. Someone obviously dropped the ball there - They didn't make that many of this type of van so my guess when they go to rebuild the transmission they go and find a new torque converter spline shaft - not one off the shelf from 2003, so odds are the replacement is heat-treated correctly and won't leave your loved ones on the side of the highway during rush hour with an infant in the back seat like the non heat-treated torque shafts. Sorry for the snark.

If you read closer into the docs that Ford submitted to the NHTSA you can find that Ford admits to only testing a small sample of 2% of failed parts to analyze the reason for failure. I understand that. But what is really funny is the dealership and Ford service department relationship. Read the reply from Ford to the NHTSA and you can find that Ford basically doesn't read what the dealer wrote under the suspected cause of failure or shop notes. I think it must be some type of corporation litigious firewall. As a company that makes them a bit indifferent to parts failures- they basically don't want to know why the part failed, if they did they would be reading what dealers/customers reports when their vehicles are breaking down and getting fixed. If you really wanted to be on top of quality control you would leverage that relationship with the dealer- because they could gather information on how to make the vehicles better.

My 2 cents.
  • I too am sooo aggrevated with it all. But, our garentee runs out this Nov. and our " rebuilt" tranny is slipping now. So, because we refuse to sell the junk ford, cause of possible death to other families, we are at end of rope! Can't afford lawyers,etc. Ford knows many are "stuck" as we are with their crap! But, as Jim says, have faith& hang on. :P FORD!
  • We should set up a Facebook page. There are millions of Facebook users that are probably not even viewing this thread. How many of these thread users are Facebook members already. Let's get something started there.
  • anabelanabel Posts: 21
    Ours is a 2004 Ford Freestar Limited.

I broke down twice with the same issue as I mentioned before in my posts several months ago. Both times I broke down it was hot and dry. We have been in a tremendous drought in Austin Texas this past winter and into the summer months that was during the first breakdown in Feburary.

Then we broke down in California on a vacation, we were driving in the Mojave Desert and it was 112*F on July 4th on our way to see the fireworks in Las Vegas with three kids in the car. Not fun. But we made it out of there safely after 7 hours of waiting for a tow truck on a holiday weekend. This last breakdown we were going 80 mph on somewhat of an incline and then the transmission gave out. It was hot and dry. The van started slowing down rapidly and it was hard to get over to the right side since that lane is designated for large trucks. We got lucky to have had enough momentum to make it to a call box and exit ramp.
    I do not want to have to check too many other sites. In my opinion, Edmund's has been a wonderful host to us because they are established. Since The Center for Auto Safety is an established non-profit consumer site set up for our type of situation, I feel that we should use them. They ask if you are interested in a class action suit, too.
    Do you know when they posted that information? I've been monitoring the site, and have not seen this. Can you post the link?
  • Just want everyone to pass the word that this problem is not unique to the '04's. We have a 2006. It has high milege. The trans went at approx 100,000. We had to pay the $3500 to have it fixed because of the high miles and the amount we still owe. The trans went out again at 130,000. I live in fear for my husband's safety every day. Let's stay together and tuned in folks. I have a co-worker who was driving a Freestar. I told him of our problem. 4 months later, trans went!! He traded it in. We don't have that luxury. God bless all who must ride around in this thing. I pray justice prevails and Ford pays for this.
    Way to go. I just read your letters to NHTSA, Senator Chambliss, and Ford. Good work. Did the Senator ever get back to you?
  • tervmomtervmom Posts: 12
    Thank you for mentioning it is problematic in other years. Mine was a 2006 Freestar with only 46,000 miles. A total surprise when it just stopped with me still pushing the gas.
  • jroysejroyse Posts: 7
    Here is how to search a defect investigation and see the documents:
    1. SaferCar.gov links to here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/defectsearch.cfm
    2. Type in the defect # (in this case the torque converter is PE09033 )
    3. Click on Document search in the results at the bottom
    ----
    This returns the document results here:
    http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/documentList.do?docId=PE09033&docType- =INV&fromPublic=true

And Ford's recent response to the Office of Defect Investigation is here:
    http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/20- 09/PE/INRL-PE09033-37150P.pdf
  • Our van's transaxle light flashes only when on the highway for a period of time, well this past Sat. We had to get it towed home, the wife was stranded 50+ miles away from home. Van would not shift out of first & 30mph was top speed. We are wondering what is going on, this is supposed to be our "reliable" vehicle with only 50,000 miles. The AC went out as well. I noticed the light flashing sometime after a power steering leak was detected. I'm lost on this. Can't afford a new vehicle, can't sell this one in good faith, Paying the car payment while it sits in the drive way. Ford has got to do something. thanks for letting me vent.