Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• olangolang Posts: 5
    Not that i am aware of. Need to get one.
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    Why do you ask? Are you an attorney?
    Which case are you addressing? It appears that there may be two different items - The torque converter and the PCM (Power Control Module). If you are an attorney, I could use a little advice right about now.
  • All I can say at this point is;

Stay Tuned!!

Jim Genovese,
    Annapolis, MD
  • It's pitiful how we all hope against hope that an attorney will see our plight and want to help. I'm not getting that this person is an attorney. If you are, please, consider helping what appears to be a lot of working, family people who have suffered and continue to be victimized by Ford and our govt. In our case, we've had to pay to replace the trans, had it go out again, and now live for the next 18 months in fear because we owe to much on the vehicle with too many miles to trade, sell, etc. Not a day goes by that I don't fear for my husband's safety and pray. With a daughter in college 3 hours away and this being our "best" vehicle, we will put our whole family in harms way to transport her this holiday season. I'd like to know how these people at Ford and NHTSA sleep at night. Please, any attorney who has the slightest sense of justice or a need to help others, hear our plea. We've got a 2006 Freestar that we are paying $500/month for. We've never caught up from the $3200 trans job and the loss of income from not having a vehicle. Now we get to live in constant fear that one or all of us will lose our lives. I guess it's the American way now. When there is 1 or more fatalities, then some magazine show looking to make money with some investigative reporting; will profit on the dead bodies. America has come so far. God bless each owner and their families in harms way.
    Reading your post makes me very sad for the state of affairs in our country.

Ford is under the belief that it's all about customer satisfaction issues, and that the complaint rates are low and primarily related to inconvenience with the repair process or overall vehicle dissatisfaction.

If the CEO,engineer, or attorney who writes the letter may have a difficult time understanding the cost factor because I am sure they make a considerable amount more money than the average low to middle class person. However, the safety issue far out weighs the cost factor. Maybe they should drive their family around in the Freestar
  • These pics are terrible....how can anyone refute this??? :confuse:
    Looking at TSB 06-14-10, I find it interesting that the title of the document is "Engine/Transmission Driveability Issues". It's criminal that Ford can generate these documents in order to avoid having to correct a dangerous situation.
  • These are totally two different failure modes....The torque converter is more catastrophic wrt to the transmission, it is a mechanical failure of the splines within the torque converter, The PCM issue is caused by water entering into the PCM and shorting it out.
    So what do we do about it?
  • Either you get it fixed, trade the car in or sell/give it away...until there is a recall or class action...those are your options, or you can leave it parked....
    I tried to get it fixed more than three times, and decided that it was not worth getting myself killed in that vehicle. Husband finally realized what I was talking about when it happened to him on Interstate 95.

Too big for a lawn ornament.

Why is this situation so mess up? Right is right - wrong is still wrong. Wasn't it Michael Moore who asked, "Dude, Where's My Country?" This is like "The Awful Truth" of corporate America!
  • My problem was on a 2004 Freestar. Had exact same issues as you. Once in my driveway and the last time while doing 60+mph on the winding two lane road outside Galena.

Everything you need is posted on this site. Google National Highway Transportation Safety Administration/NHTSA and file your complaint. Make sure you have your vin # available at that time.

Good luck to you. After the van was "fixed" I took an offer from the dealership and sold them the vehicle for about 12% of what I paid for it brand new. All in all, it was worth it not to put my family in danger.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Is this what you were refering to: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091117/ANA02/911179988/1254-

NHTSA probes Ford minivans over transmission complaints

Neil Roland
    Automotive News
    November 17, 2009 - 4:23 pm ET

WASHINGTON -- Federal safety officials are investigating hundreds of complaints that 2004-05 Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey minivans have defective transmissions that can cause the moving vehicles to stop suddenly.

Subscribe to Automotive News

As many as 205,000 vehicles could be affected, NHTSA said today.

Investigators are focusing on the torque converter output shaft, NHTSA said on its Web site. The shaft, in the rear of the transmission, drives the wheels.

NHTSA reported 654 customer complaints and 2,791 warranty claims related to the vehicles' sudden inability to move on the road.

“It's a safety defect and should be recalled,” said Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the nonprofit Center for Auto Safety.

The agency's engineering analysis is to be completed in 12 months, according to NHTSA.

A Ford Motor Co. spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Freestar and its Monterey sibling debuted in late 2003 and were discontinued after the 2007 model year after sagging sales.

In one complaint to the Center for Auto Safety, a Delaware resident said her 2004 Freestar suddenly stopped three times -- twice while on high-speed roadways trying to merge into traffic.

“While the vehicle was moving, the rpms would ramp up extremely high, but the vehicle would not move forward (felt as if all power, including steering, were gone),” wrote Nadine Burroughs of Middletown, Del.

“Driving down [Interstate 95], the transmission quit!” Ted Bennett of Crawfordville, Fl., wrote to Ditlow's group.
  • Jim,
    Is this really true? How will this impact those of us who have already paid out of pocket for a new transmission?
    I am sorry I haven't been active lately. I had some health issues which put me out of commission for six months (lost 70 pound though:-))
    I know you are largely responsible for this happening. GREAT JOB!
    Kelly Lilly
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    That article is from Automotive news website. It targets folks in the auto industry. My guess is if it was written there, it's most likely true. We'll see what comes of the NHTSA investigation. Very positive step for Freestar owners.
  • This all sounds great, if happens. This month ended our warrenty on our tranny rebuild. Weve got to take it out town this week end. I drive it on prayers.
  • Kelly,

Yes, it is finally coming to fruition. NHTSA has undertaken an investigation into the Freestar/Monteray transmission failures. This is in no small part due to the efforts of all of the good people who have taken the time to become informed, get engaged in the process, and stand up for themselves. Without every other consumer who respoded to our call to arms, this would not have been possible. Most of the credit, I believe, should go to Nadine. I believe that it was her research and the steps that she took that got NHTSA going on this issue.

Keep in mind however; this is just the beginning. This investigation likely will take months and the outcome is unpredictable in spite of what common sense tells us it should be.

In the meantime, hope your health continues to improve , congrats on the weght loss, and stay safe and keep the faith!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • Ours just did the same thing. Everyone has problems with this with the FreeStar. I can't believe Ford hasn't recalled this. When our motor failed on the Windstar, they replaced it. We sold it with 160,000 miles on it. This is disappointing. Our next car will not be a Ford.
  • I logged my complaint in Aug 09
    Jim,

Thank you for the kind words, but I believe that Edmunds deserves a lot of the credit for providing a space where we could all share our experiences. I have read every entry posted, and without them, I would have felt very alone in this process. All the people on this site inspired, encouraged, educated, and fought to get their voices heard. They filed complaints with NHTSA, Senators, Congresspeople, Better Business Bureau, and the Center for Auto Safety.

Personally, I would like to thank you all for providing hope.

Now, we need to respond to Fords letters to NHTSA.
  • Had a 2002 Windstar, that, 200 kilometres prior to the 60,000 kilometre end of the warranty, the transmission started slipping. I called the dealership, told them I was experiencing problems, but that the issue semed to go away.
    We made a service date for about a week later, and they informed me it needed extensive tranny work, and that the warranty was no longer in place. ( I was now 300 kms over). After some discussion, they agreed to swallow the whole cost...........thank god! Hats off to the dealer.
    Now my 2005 Freestar with 111,000 km (65,000 miles) is lame. Went out to he driveway, put it in gear, and nothing happened. I had drove home the night before with no problems.
    Had it towed to the local Ford dealer, who phoned back and said there wasn't any tranny pressure, so I needed a new tranny. They are looking for a used for approximately $1500, and with installation, filters etc, will be $3100, plus tax.
    Ford misspoke when it named this vehicle a "FREE" Star. I have some other ideas for sur names
    Seems to be a similar theme with these vans.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    You're very welcome! This is what the Forums are about. Consumers sharing information and supporting each other. :) :)

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    Sounds like another torque converter failure. When ours failed, there wasn't any transmission pressure either. If the input shaft to the transmission doesn't turn, the pump doesn't work. Hence, no pressure. A transmission replacement seems a bit overkill. We just had our torque converter replaced and everything cleaned out. Just a bit over $2K.
  • I have a 2004 Ford Freestar that I bought new 5 years ago. It has 62,000 miles on it. I have had minor problems with it over the years. The plan was to keep this vehicle for 10 years as I don't drive too far.
    Last night I was driving home from running errands and was about a half mile away from home. I was making a sharp right turn off the highway and onto the street which I live. As I started to turn the steering wheel, the car shut off and I lost steering. I drifted onto the other side of the road after just missing the passing car and luckily into a parking lot of a doctors office. I started the van back up and was able to move forward to get the back of my van out of the road as I was praying that a car wasn't going to come over that windy hill. There was no warning. I had it at the shop about 2 months ago because the engine light came on--that was a gas cap issue. I am just astonished that the light will come on over replacement of a gas cap, but not of a transmission problem.
    Long story short, my husband was able to get the van home, cutting out on him 2 times in less than a half mile. And, I still sitting here shaking like a leaf.
    Report it to NHTSA, The Center for Auto Safety, and complain to Ford. If you had rain where you are, it could be the PCM.

Good luck and I hope that your holidays improve.
  • That sounds more like the PCM to me (the other infamous problem with these things). In the tranny failure, the engine would still run, but you would have no forward momentum. In a PCM failure, the car would shut off. Was it raining when it happened? If so, almost for sure the PCM. Poor design where water runs on the computer. The sad thing is, if it is the PCM, while easier to fix and less costly than the transmission, the fact that you're driving an '04 means you'll probably have transmission failure soon too.
    Lovely situation isn't it? To know that you are driving a ticking time bomb, never knowing where, when, or how the vehicle will stop operating properly perhaps leaving you in a dangerous situation.