Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• Say what you will, if the NHTSA saw this as a major safety issue we would all be at the Ford dealer right now getting a free repair ! This site gets it money from Ford, Toyota, GM etc...Remember people, there are guide lines that the NHTSA must follow, and at this moment in time, the Ford Freestar & Monterey Transmission Problem don't meet the criteria that mandate an all out recall. Remember, a fool and his/her money are soon parted..... :lemon:
  • From what you describe, it is the same "exact" issue that happened to our family
    "Freestar" van 2.5 weeks ago. Our van had around 60,000 miles on it. What
    you are describling, is the reason for our postings on this site. PLEASE
    file a complaint with the NHTSA, it only takes a few minutes. They are investigating
    this DANGEROUS SITUATION. Your transmission problem have affected
    hundreds of thousands of Freestar owners, and FORD will do nothing, they
    claim it isn't a safety issue!!!!! Try writing to Ralph Nader too!

Our Freestar transmission cost us $3000.00 to fix and the transmission
    will most likely fail again.........as many others have!!!!

Please warn everyone you know with Freestars about this dangerous situation.
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    Do I understand that you do not think the issues with the Freestar/Monterey are a safety issue? Because if that is what I hear you saying, I would respectfully disagree.

I believe that I was a fool when I had to continually be subjected to all the extreme stress this vehicle created. My money was soon parted to the dealer who could not or would not admit that they could not repair the vehicle, but continued to charge me for a factory defect created by the Ford Motor Company. Ford needed to investigate the problems with this vehicle and inform dealerships on the proper corrections that needed to take place. Instead, they choose to ignore the situation, and put families at the risk of serious injury.

Ford commits fraud as they continue to allow these vehicles to be sold through their dealerships. I know for a fact that my vehicle came from the online auction they hold for dealerships so Ford just wanted to turn over the vehicle.

Defination of fraud from Wikipedia:
    In the broadest sense, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and is also a civil law violation. Many hoaxes are fraudulent, although those not made for personal gain are not technically frauds. Defrauding people of money is presumably the most common type of fraud, but there have also been many fraudulent "discoveries" in art, archaeology, and science.

Again, I will refer to Franklin Delano Roosevelt message to Congress stating," The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself. That in its essence is fascism: ownership of the government by an individual, by a group or any controlling private power."

As long as the laws of this land continue to protect me, I will continue to fight being a victim of fraud.
  • A complaint has been filed for this with the NHTSA. :lemon:
  • Safety yes, but what degree...like I said earlier, if it was black and white issue, our problem would go away by an all out recall. Like when a plane crashes and kills everyone on board, they determine the severity of the problem and decide what course of action to take, ground similar planes or monitor it or make them fix the problem by a certain date.
  • Everyone with FORD/MERCURY.... FREESTAR/MONTEREY should buy

some car WINDOW PAINT and warn the AMERICAN FAMILY'S how

dangerous these FAMILY vans really are, it just might gain the attention

of the media and Ford...........at the very least it will be bad press, and

Ford might just issue a recall on these dangerous vans.

window paint cost only a few dollars...........

With hundreds of thousands of victims......FORD WILL HATE THE BAD PRESS
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    I am grateful that Edmunds provides a place where we can all find each other and work as one large group, but does anyone know how this forum (blog) functions? Who pays to maintain this site and why? Edmunds benefits from the forum - how?

Here is a link to our company profile that may answer some of your questions.

Also, please know that we do have a strict policy concerning solicitation (of any kind) on the site. I was away for the holiday and was not aware of recent postings here.

If you or anyone in the discussion ever have concerns or questions about the site or possible violations to our Membership Agreement, please send me an email, karen@edmunds.com. That way I will be alerted more quickly and can respond accordingly.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• iferifer Posts: 11
    Same exact thing happened to me last year only at 89,000 miles. No warning, no tugs...it just went out in busy holiday traffic while driving up hill....

At any rate, I took mine to a transmission repair shop, torque convertor splines had stripped off, throwing metal shavings into the tranny and causing it to fail. Total to clean everything out and replace failed parts (torque convertor etc...) $1,900.....Ford wanted almost $3,500 for a new tranny...I'm sure glad I didn't go brand new with them as it most definitely would've happened again! The transmission shop I went to has their torque convertors built out of house as to not use the ones that Ford suggests (due to failure issues).

Everything seemed to be going well until just a couple weeks ago. Now I think alot of my problems are related to a soggy PCM so that's my next fix....definitely NOT going to a dealer for that one though!

Best of luck to you!
  • igot4igot4 Posts: 1
    Transmission just failed in my 2005 Ford Freestar. I am from Canada, and this vehicle has 120,000 kms (75,000 miles). My four young daughters were in the van when this happened.. No warning, no nothing, had no previous problems with this van. I was lucky that this didn't happen on the highway... Is Ford just waiting for somebody to get killed before they address this problem? I sent Ford an email and basically they told me I was SOL... I am so sad and mad. This happened 2 days before Christmas while my daughters and I were out holiday shopping. I took my van to the Ford dealer where I was charged $96 to tell me that I would have to spend another $800 for them to tear apart the transmission to diagnose the problem. Guess I have a nice lawn ornament too. Did I mention I HATE FORD??? :( :cry: :mad:
    Good idea! Didn't Ford have the slogan,"Safety is job 1"?
    NHTSA has the entire TSB posted on their Office of Defect Investigation page for that Ford put out for the PCM. If you need more information let me know.

Also, someone had posted what they felt was a solution to the problem when they went to repair their PCM so you may want to look at the older posts before you take the vehicle into the dealership or repair it yourself. The PCM problem can be costly in more ways than one so beware.

If you are in for a good laugh, check this site out.
    http://media.ford.com/pdf/2008_Product_Guide.pdf
    Thank you for the information.
  • Nadine,

Please don't give up the fight. You have added so much to this forum and this issue with all of your hard work and information. I still believe that you are the main reason NHTSA finally undertook an investigation.

I believe that we, the consumers, will prevail when all is said and done. I pray however; that there are no fatalities before this issue is resolved.

Finally, the slogan was, "Quality Is Job 1." I wonder why we havn't seen that for a while. Their new slogan should be, "Greed Is Job 1."

Keep up the good work everybody! Keep the faith, and stay safe.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • $800 just to tear down the Tranny? So that is what I am in store for also I guess? I may just have to default on this vehical and let the bank and my credit suffer. Which means I will be the only one suffering for FORDS KNOWN BUGS! If my software had a catastrophic bug like this I would get fired and the company would put a hotfix in immediatly and no lives are at stake. :confuse: :lemon:
    I would not let my credit suffer because of corporate greed. Instead, I would look at any consumer laws that protect you from this type of fraud. Look at the Lemon Law in your state. Contact your attorney general for help.

Good luck and keep up the good fight!
  • I considered keeping the '89 Bonneville rather than the '04 Monterey, but unfortunately there are a few too many things wrong with the Bonneville. It's never needed to have the transmission replaced, though.

Elmer Ploetz
    Assistant Professor, Journalism
    Communication Department
    SUNY Fredonia
    ploetz@fredonia.edu
    Thank you for the kind words, again. I have not given up, but I did need to reorganize.

I, too, believe that the consumer will prevail only because it is right. "Greed is job 1" is a very good slogan for this type of corporate fraud. In the long run, Ford will pay by shrinking their customer base. I will NEVER own another Ford, and I tell as many people as possible my story with Ford, too.

The shame of the situation is that it could have been a better story to tell. A story about honor, commitment to their customers, a company that stands behind their product, but instead, it has become a story of corporate greed, families placed in peril, consumers pillaged, and health diminished due to stress.

Pete Seeger's quote: There's no hope, but I may be wrong.
    My father-in-law who's owned many vehicles told me that he's never had to replace a transmission in any of the vehicles he's owned.

So, will you be keeping the Monterey?
  • Nadine,

As always, spot on with your commentary/quotes. I could not say it better myself.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • sjtdadsjtdad Posts: 11
    First post. After reading these horror stories since my problems began this past Sunday, I am now a full-fledged member of the club. Got the call this afternoon--tranny completely gone--$3400. We got into our '05 Freestar after church Sunday (53,000 miles), started it up, put it into D, and nothing. No warning. After it warmed up it finally moved, jerked, and slipped in "3" enough to get us home with the transaxle light on all the way. I called the dealer on Monday, got it there barely on Tuesday, slipping in and out of gear, jerking, doing fine at times. It cost $80 to check it. Then I got a call that it would cost $850 to tear into it to find the problem, now $3400 to replace. This tranny was serviced at the dealer 17,000 miles ago--no problems at all until Sunday. I filed a complaint with NHTSA online today.
  • drhmthdrhmth Posts: 6
    I posted our sorry tale earlier in this post and have been glad to see that so many are using it to vent, but I can almost guarantee that if we don't flood the NHTSA with as much information as we all have, there is no chance of our receiving any kind of solution to this problem. If anyone is unsure of how to do this, please ask me and I will be glad to help.
    If any of you beleive that Ford is going to come up to the plate or even let you get to anyone higher than the GM of a dealership, please think again and file with the NHTSA. You can see the actual complaint on their site, but at this point they are only showing something over 200 filed complaints out of more than 25,000 of these vehicles that may or may not be on the road.
  • If you believe that your warranty is still good, you might be able to use Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, "Under a full warranty, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with the written warranty, the warrantor: must, as a minimum, remedy the consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge. " You can also collect lawyer fees as well, but $3500, you can sue in small claims court without a lawyer......

Good luck and a Happy 2010......
    Just looking at the NHTSA complaint postings and saw there was an accident due to loss of power. The accident involved four vehicles, but thankfully, no one was seriously injured.
  • Hello all, Just coming home from my family for New Years driving my wife's 2005 Freestar with only 55K on it. Did I mention I was in a snowstorm in Indiana and all of a sudden the car lurches at about 55 mph and scares the Holiday Feast out of me !!!
    Okay, I think must be a fluke and my wife says no, it has been doing this about every few miles for the last 3 weeks. She thought it was sliding or jerking due to skidding on pavement.....NOT THE CASE. It happens a few more times.....about 5 minutes apart on a 60 mile trip. All of a sudden, again the van lurches and put us IN A SPIN AND OFF THE ROAD. Thank God, My wife and my 9 year old son and I were not hurt. I got composed and thank God again that I was able to pull back on the road and get home. I immediately googled the issue and got to this web site and started reading.......I am of course PISSED to see the frequency of issues. Question is, Is this what everyone encounters before the tranny just gives up the ghost.....It will run fine and hiccup about every 5-10 minutes with a missing type jerk or lurch and then smooth as can be for a few more minutes. Is this only temporary to a fully blown tranny......? Is this the same symptoms as everybody else? Please respond if able to...Thankyou all and also thankyou Ford for showing the world and us your quality...>: ( :mad:
    This sounds similar to what happened with my vehicle. It would lurch and jerk, sometime engage into gear sometimes it would not. Other times after running fine, it would just stop, and then, it would not start again.

Because this vehicle has a design fault, water intrudes into the PCM (power control module) which creates all types of problems. The dealership, after numerous attempts, could never correct the problem.

As you know the other design fault is the transmission. I do not know if the PCM and the transmission issues are connected, but I believe that the NHTSA investigators are researching this.

File a complaint with the NHTSA, The Center for Auto Safety, and Ford. Educate yourself on your state Lemon Laws.

Good luck!
    You may want to look at post 941. He may have found the solution to why there is continual problems with the PCM.
  • That is also what mine would do but there was a longer gap in between the 'roughness'. It also seemed to drive worse in the rain & the night before it died for good was I drove home in an awful rain storm. The first mechanic I brought it to said that there was some moisture in the PCM but not dripping like some other peoples. But he did put it in writing for me that there was moisture. He also told me that my PCM didn't look original & that somebody before me probably already had it 'fixed'--I'm guessing right before they traded it in. My advice to you is to educate yourself on the problem before you let anyone try to fix it. I was clueless on vehicles before & was sick when I found this forum. I spent hours online learning about transmissions & torque converters & PCM's and even made my husband open it up & show me all the parts and pull out the computer so I could feel inside & really understand what people were talking about. I found a good independent transmission shop (and was sure to let them know I knew what I was talking about) & got the pump shaft, veins, etc,etc, rebuilt for $1500. (& BTW, they didn't even have to order parts cause they said they see this so often that they just keep them in the shop) I figure that might get us through the 2yrs left on the loan. I am glad that you and your family are OK. Good Luck!
  • drhmthdrhmth Posts: 6
    We live in the Metro Phx. area. I have posted a couple of times about the importance each of us filing with the NHTSA and now have contacted the consumer reporters on the local ABC and NBC affiliates to see if that gets us anywhere. I'm sure it couldn't hurt if others in various parts of the country were to do the same. If I get any kind of response, I will let you know.
  • I received a reply from Ford about my complaint. A three sentence reply, thanks, blah,blah, blah. This is a joke. I was contacted as well from the NHTSA & replied back with additional info but haven't heard anything since. Spending the 2300+ during the holidays really sucked, but driving this POS :lemon: knowing it's going to happen again really irks me. Let's hope a recall is issued & people will be saved the trouble that a lot of us has had to deal with. I can't state it any better than previous posts, If you have had a tranny problem, file a complaint with the NHTSA.
  • I dropped my van off at Yankee Ford in Maine and they ran a diagnostic test and said my transmisson is infact shot and the bear minimum to repair is $2700 and change, only if there is nothing more. I asked them about the issues with the these vehicals and they told me (Tim). That this is the first one they had seen with an issue like thie, then I started talking about the NHTSA and the known issues. This had them singing a completely different song the one that goes "This is your issue not Fords". So I guess I am hosed until I can find the $ money to repair! Anyone with a spare transmission? :sick: :lemon: :mad: :cry: