Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• I too have had the blower replaced in my van for heating/AC. And too many electrical problems to list here. What a piece of junk, to say it politely!
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    I would bet that some of the electrical problems could be related to the PCM since it is the control center. Because of a design defect, water on the sensors can create many issues.
    Several sites that I have posted about have since disappeared. Anyone care to venture a reason why? Diesel Dave had posted the entire TSB for the "Engine/Transmission Driveability Issue" - gone. The Flickr site (http://www.flickr.com/photos/iarpca/2809441868/ ) which hosted photos of a PCM and repairs - gone.

I do not believe that this is all by chance.

NHTSA has the entire TSB so if you need it, you can still find it there, but the other site - well .....
  • A year ago this past Nov. our tranny went out...no warning so ever. Mechanic said was the torq convertor. And FORD had made the tranny too small for the engine. And that the tranny will go out again. So, we own junk & a safety hazard...and FORD SIMPLY DOESN'T GIVE A CRAP!!!!!!! OR anyone else. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Ford may not give a crap, but we all share the problem in some form or another. Most of us on this forum all care because we have this issue in common. We are a large group of people and if we work together can accomplish a lot together.

United we could be a very loud voice that other would hear even FORD! I have not given up. Together, we could make Ford give a crap because we do matter, our families matter, our lives do matter!

If your cause is just and right, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP.
  • jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Amen, Nadine. I have been at this for over 2 years now and I will NEVER give up. There is a movie that came out not long ago about the man who invented the technology for intermittent wipers. Long story short, Ford stole it and he spent the rest of his life fighting the good fight. With that story, the Pinto, and now this, Ford seems hell bent on cementing their image as a corporation that puts money over people, families, and integrity. What a shame. I understand that it is a business but I draw the line when lives are at stake. This story could have such a good ending but, sadly, based on history, it likely won't without one hell of a fight. I am in it for the long haul. I know you and the others are too. Together, we WILL make a difference.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    Since this TSB in the public domain, I can post it for those interested in learning about the PCM. TSB 06-14-10

">Freestar/Monterey Power Steering Line Inspection

Certain 2004 Model Year Freestar and Monterey Vehicles-Front Wheel Hub and Rotor Replacement Certain 2004 Model Year Freestar and Monterey Vehicles-Front Wheel Hub and Rotor Replacement
  • aggiemeaggieme Posts: 10
    Now Toyota has recalled another 4 million vehicles for an accelartor that sticks in the engaged position......why can't Ford admit to their design problems and do the same??? I already know the answer....a transmission upgrade versus an accelrator updgrade is quite a difference in $$$$$.

Just frustrating Toyota gets it..... :mad:
  • Think twice about Toyota getting it, I have a brand new 2009 Camry, and the seat is falling apart and they won't fix it under warranty....
    If there had not been the four deaths in California, this would not be a story or a recall.

First of the year, the Freestar had it's first accident because of these problems. Four car accident in which three people were injured - thankfully not seriously. Ford may be starting to listen now, but they really do not care about the people in these vehicle.

Bottom line is the $$$$$$.
    Nadine,

Was that the first of 2010? If so, please provide more information. I am aware of an accident that was reported in 2008 or 2009 on this website that was attributed to this defect as well.

Sadly, you are correct. It is all about the $$$$$. As for me, I will never put a price on the heads of my family and I refuse to sit idly by while Ford does so, not only to us, but also to the hundreds of thousands of other victims of this defect.

Keep up the good work. You are an asset to our cause.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • Was driving home by myself just after midnight when the car choked and died. It now will not go forward or in reverse. After reading all the problems with this model, I went back and forth with the dealer and Ford customer relations. The bill is $3000. The dealer says he will graciously take off $200! I am so outraged at the lack of integrity with this company. I can barely make the mortgage payment much less pay this bill. Where do I go from here??
    Jim,

I found that there were twelve (12) injury reports filed with NHTSA. The most recent Date of Failure was 9 Dec. 2009 which had three injuries, and the earliest, if you can believe the date on this one is 1 January 1901. Ten of the reports are in the 2004 Model, one in the 2006 Model, and one in the 2007 Model.

The number of complaints filed with NHTSA for transmission and other failures is growing so fast. The figure is well over the four hundred (400) mark now.
    File a complaint with NHTSA and The Center for Auto Safety. Check the lemon laws in your state.

How many miles on the vehicle?
  • Hi folks,

Just looking for a gut check here. I have a 2004 Monterey with 70k on it and a 75k extended warranty. I've been following this thread after finding it due to an unrelated transmission issue.

I have the urge to sell the van when the warranty runs out to avoid the trans. issue but my wife thinks I'm being overly cautious and should just stop reading this forum. Our van is paid for and we really don't want a car payment but I'm thinking family safety is more important. Anyone want to take sides and help me make a decision?

Thanks!
    Ted
    No car payment - good thing.
    PCM could be a problem later - check condition see post 941.
    Transmission - may fail after warranty runs out. See if you can purchase a new one to cover it. May be less expensive than a new vehicle. You could start saving for the new transmission.

Personally, I would replace the van if I had children it would go fast. I was extremely frightened for my safety in our van. My van failed while I was entering a high speed road way. It failed on my husband during rush hour on I95 leaving Philly.

You decide.
    Anyone know what if water could enter the transmission of these vehicles through the cowl?
    Wow. Thanks for the update. As for the NHTSA website, what a valuable resource. Why isn't this on the news yet? 400 complaints! I guess someone will pick it up when there is a fatality.

Ford could take a lesson from Toyota. Unprecedented action that they took. That is yet one more of the many reasons my next 2 vehicles will be Toyotas.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • Did anyone see that CNN interviewed Allen Mulally (Ford CEO). He talked about Toyota & praised them for taking such decisive action & explained that Ford was checking one of their oversees ventures because less than 2000 vehicles may have used the same supplier. He said it was important to Ford to learn everything they could about the problem & act decisively even they have no complaints & it may affect so few vehicles--& that that is what they do with any potential hazards that Ford or other manufactures find. I was watching for my son's bus so I didn't hear the whole program (& didn't think to record it) but I was shocked by what he was saying. He said the recall & production stop were the right thing to do while Toyota got a grip on the problem & that it is Ford's policy to do the same with any potential safety issue. Never once did they mention the Freestar investigation--just the Firestone situation.
    Did anyone else get a better look at the segment? It was on Rick's List.
    Again, shame on Ford. I believe that they are hoping that they can take over all the sales that Toyota may loose due to this problem. At least Toyota is doing something. I really hope that Ford does not benefit from this. Ford does not like any negative publicity. In some of the the letters about recalls they were forced to undertake, they specifically state that they (Ford) will not notify the media.

I was researching the powertrain control module problem and found a DaimlerChrysler publication from February 2004 for Dodge Ram Pick-up Trucks. It states,"The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) electrical connectors on about 70,000 of the above trucks may allow water to enter into the connectors. Water and the resulting corrosion in the PCM connector can cause the speed control and /or transmission overdrive function to become inoperative."

They also continued to state that if you already paid to have it repaired, send the original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment for reimbursement. Hello Ford give me back my money for your defect!
  • Remember, it took the government to make Toyota to do the right thing.....
  • ftfclubftfclub Posts: 14
    Might be the right time to contact the local media about this story. Our local tv stations in Philly are covering the Toyota story like it is the only story in town! I am going
    to contact our local media "consumer report department", and refer them to this
    site......just maybe someone will tackle this story?
  • That's a good idea! Here in Vancouver Canada no one really exposing this Ford's
    problem. Please do it exposed them!
  • Well after reading all the complaints and it seems literally always the same thing, electrical (PCM Related), transmission and/or brakes I have decided to also lodge a complaint with the NHTSA. I would say fortunately for me the trans and the electrical was handled under warranty, not to say the trans won't happen again, and I am now well out of warranty. And Ford did extend my warranty because of not only all the trouble I had but the dealership itself was trying to work with me so they got Ford to extend my warranty, and fortunately for me they did because the trans did fail during the extended period. So I decided it couldn't hurt to file a complaint and maybe help to get things corrected or replaced under a recall or at the very least help save a life. My report Number is 10303445. I would suggest to everyone with similar problems to their Ford or Monterey Vans to file a complaint.

Barry
  • On a Friday in July, 2009 I was traveling home from a memorial service out of state and as I was passing a trailer truck in the center lane on I-77 my transmission failed. I was fortunate enough to be able to drop back behind the truck and then maneuver my 2005 Freestar to the side of the road (where I thanked God that no one hit me nor me hitting someone else). The closest garage (after waiting one hour for AAA to send tow truck) diagnosed the problem as a crack in the torque converter. Since they could not get one until Monday I had the tow truck to take me and the van to Huntersville, NC where they diagnosed the same problem. They lent me a car (free) and said it would be ready on Monday. The cost was $1600 plus anquish and inconveniece. My car only had 68,000 miles. I wrote to Ford (Mulally) twice but got a form letter once and a call from customer service on the second correspondence saying there was nothing they could do - sorry but.... I was told that Mulally was very busy and could not directly respond to my request. I had asked if transmission problems on Freestars had been a problem and where my vehicle was built. They said they could not give me that info. The last call from Ford was last week (almost 6 months after my initial inquiry). I have contemplated writing Mulally again with a copy to the major TV channels (ABC,CBS,NBC and FOX). Has anyone else expierenced this nonchalant response?
  • This would be a great opportunity for an enterprising media outlet person, perhaps an investigative reporter, to confront Mr. Mulally on his apparent hypocrisy/dishonesty. It's just a matter of time before the media picks up on this website and this issue.
  • That's not nonchalance. That is systemic, intentional, reckless indifference and fraud. Mulally is "busy" trying to capitalize on Toyota's troubles. What he apparently doesn't realize is that it is Toyota's response and handling of the problem that is what consumers like me are going to remember when we make our next new vehicle purchase.

The contrast is quite remarkable. The cowards at Ford lie, obfuscate, mislead, and deny, while Toyota acknowledges, engages, and fixes the problem.

Toyota gets it. Ford does not. Toyota gets my business. Ford does not.

Ford had my business and my endorsement for 25 years and blew it with their handling of the Freestar issue. The truly sad part is that Ford does not care. A loyal customer for 25 years and they turned away from me and my family in an instant.

Ford put my family and thousands of others in harms way by marketing a family vehicle based on its safety rating. This defect almost cost my family their lives and likely will cost someone their life before all is said and done.

What a different course this could have taken had Ford done the right thing.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    If the Freestar I saw along the side of the highway this morning was there because of a transmission problem. I thought about stopping and putting a note on the windshield, but was already late for work.
  • What we're seeing here is the difference between Asian and American culture and business practices. When something like this happens, it's a loss of face for an Asian, and simply unacceptable. It's unfortunate that more American companies don't feel the same way, and do the right thing. Although it appears Toyota was "forced" to take this unprecedented step, plenty of other Asian-based companies have stood behind their product far after the warranty expired, including Honda with their AT problems. I'm a current Ford owner, and am willing to give them a chance. In fact, I think Ford is our last great hope for an American auto manufacturer.
    I found an interesting piece this evening in the Federal Register/Vol.67, No. 183/Friday, September 20, 2002. It is a Denial of Motor Vehicle Defect Petition from NHTSA. The petition was from Mr. William Salyer concerning sudden acceleration. "Mr. Salyer's analysis concluded that water in the PCM was the cause of the sudden acceleration."

Personally, I am done with Ford. They have poorly handled this situation in order to protect their own company at the expense of the American people. It will take Toyota years to come back from this financial crisis, but at least the company has some honor. Ford on the other hand would rather keep families in peril driving these vehicles. I seriously doubt that they even have any engineers working on these issues. Unlike Toyota, Ford seems to be able to handle damage control by controlling the media.

The other problem I see is NHTSA itself. They do not seem to have any standards for opening investigations. If the American public does not take a stand, they seem to turn a blind eye on situations until too many people die and the public cries out in protest. Out of all the automotive companies, NHTSA seem to protect Ford the most when they appear to be the most UN-AMERICAN!

If Ford is our last hope for an American company, we are all doomed! There is a saying to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Well, Ford since I understand that Ford's philosophy is.....Let'em crash and burn..........................