Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• jouzieljouziel Posts: 3
    I just got a reply back from the NHTSA and am following up my claim with details of my ordeal, and I hope it comes to something. Just to finish my story, I got towed 60 miles to a dealer in Spokane, WA. Two days and $2K later, I was back on the road. The guy said it was a failed torque converter (surprise) but that fortunately the splines were still intact, otherwise it would have been more $$$.

To the credit of the Gus Johnson service dept. in Spokane, they did all they could to expedite the repair and provide my family with shuttle service (Ford ended the loaner car program a couple years ago). It's a darn shame about this since I've been otherwise generally happy with this car.
  • shocked1shocked1 Posts: 85
    I received my 2nd e-mail from Emily Reichard today. you can go to www.safercar.gov. Type in investigation # PE 09033. Check on 'OUR' investigations!!!!! :) May starting to look up for us Jim....
  • From National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation

Dear Freestar/Monterey Owners,

This is Emily Reichard again with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation. As some of you may already know, an investigation has opened on the 2004-2005 Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey vehicles for transmission failure. This can be viewed on our website at www.safercar.gov under investigation #PE09-033. After this week I will no longer be in this office and my e-mail will be phased out. Therefore, if you have any other responses or questions, please contact principal investigator Stephen McHenry . Thank you so much for all of your time and information. Have a great day.

NHTSA Action Number : PE09033 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
    Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    FORD / FREESTAR 2004-2005

MERCURY / MONTEREY 2004-2005

Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
    Component :
    POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:TORQUE CONVERTER

Date Investigation Opened : July 15, 2009
    Date Investigation Closed : Open
    Summary:
    ODI HAS RECEIVED 178 COMPLAINTS ALLEGING THAT AN INTERNAL FAILURE OF THE TRANSMISSION CREATED A SUDDEN AND UNEXPECTED LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER IN MODEL YEAR 2004 THROUGH 2005 FORD FREESTAR AND MERCURY MONTEREY VEHICLES. SIXTY-FIVE (65) COMPLAINANTS WHO PROVIDED SPECIFIC INFORMATION TO ODI REGARDING THE FAILURE MODE OF THE TRANSMISSION IDENTIFIED THE TORQUE CONVERTER AND/OR THE TORQUE CONVERTER OUTPUT SHAFT AS THE FAILED SUBSYSTEM/COMPONENT. FOR THE LATTER, THE ALLEGATIONS INDICATE THAT THE SHAFT SPLINES FAILED SUDDENLY AND WITHOUT WARNING, RESULTING IN A SUDDEN LOSS OF VEHICLE PROPULSION DUE TO THE ENGINE POWER BECOMING DISCONNECTED FROM THE DRIVETRAIN. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY, AND POTENTIAL SAFETY-RELATED CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.
  • momx6momx6 Posts: 5
    Has anyone else had any trouble after the transmission repair? My cruise control is now only working intermittently since I got my van back a week and a half ago.
    Jill
  • Well, our van was bought in August of 2006 and now, in August 2009, the transmission has gone. The van is at the dealership and they told us the internal planetary gear has disintergrated. Great. The van only has 45,000 miles. We have always performed all the necessary oil changes and whatnot. This was so unexpected. Now the dealership is stating that they have to contact Ford and will let us know the price. I am like, what the heck? We purchased the extended warranty, even more than a powertrain and now they are saying they may not cover it? Very unhappy with Ford right now and I truly wish the van would just go away.
  • Please join the ranks of us and file a complaint with the NHTSA. If we get enough complaints submitted I believe this will really open their eyes even more. I have filed mine and they want to see the diagnostic sheet from Ford. We have asked for it and they said they would fax it to us. They did fax it, but its a parts order sheet listing how much the torque converter is and transmission fluid exchange, basically what it was going to cost to have it repaired. So, I have to call them AGAIN. :sick:
  • On another note, we called around to see if we could find a better price to get the van repaired. CarX said they would do the repaire for $896 and some change. Ford was going to charge use about $1300. We called Ford back with the info and that we were going to have someone else do the repair. They immediately dropped thier price to the same amount, but said they would not offer a warranty. Well CarX also had a warranty.

If you are having a problem with your van please file a complaint with NHTSA so we can overload them reports. Let's see how long Ford will sit on their hands once they get some real pressure.
  • mwirtmwirt Posts: 1
    Hello everybody!
    Our 2004 Freestar (79k miles) came to a rolling stop today, making a load whining sound (similar to low fluid in a power steering pump) from the trans. The ESP Warranty ended at 75k miles.

Beginning at 55k miles, it became slow in engaging from Reverse to Drive and occasionally shuttered. A local dealership found nothing wrong and after servicing it, gave it a clean bill of health. Slow shifting started again and now, we're stuck. A local trans technician experienced in rebuilding these beasts diagnosed it as likely the planetary unit(?). Isn't it considered a clunker now??? :sick:
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    I think they were a clunker the day they came off the assembly line.

Hope you file a complaint with NHTSA.
    Good luck.
    Sure they were junk in the factory!!!!! They didn't make the tranny large enough for the engines, we were told. I tell everyone driving a FREESTAR, to turn complaints into NHTSA. I also get ill when I see children in them. COME ON FORD..... FESS UP... YOU MADE A DEADLY MISTAKE..... FIX IT FAIRLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confuse:
    I believe that NHTSA also needs to take responsibility along with Ford in getting these vehicles recalled, repaired, or off the roads. NHTSA has a duty to gather the information from Ford so hello, federal government, do your job!

I totally agree that children should not be in these vehicles. For that matter, anyone riding in these vehicles are at an unacceptable risk for their safety and others on the roadways around them.

I will never own another Ford. Wonder why the "Cash for Clunkers" program had 41% foreign vehicles sold through the incentive. I believe that Ford will fail soon if they keep this kind of business practice.
  • Just last night in a small town between Cedar Rapids, Ia and Iowa City my wife was picking up our 2 year od from our sitter after work when I got the call,”Our van just died!” When she explained the symptoms I immediately knew it was the transmission and because the vehicle was going 55 mph when it lost all drive train power I knew it had to be the spline b/c had it been anything else she wouldn’t have lost power until after coming to a complete stop. My step father, whom has his own garage, thankfully towed our 05’ Freestar with 85,000 miles on it to a small town transmission expert that again confirmed my suspicion of the spline. He is keeping all parts for me and will be willing to provide me with a signed affidavit. Please let me know where I should forward this material to so that we can help others that have purchased this vehicle.
    Please ask for a hearing as well. The Secretary of Transportation can make a motion or on petition of any interested person for a hearing to decide whether the manufacturer has reasonably met the requirement for defect or noncompliance in regards to motor vehicle safety.

We need to have them hear that we want our day in court by requesting the hearing. There is a lot of power in numbers.
    I'd love to have my day in court...... And I hope this crap of a vehicle is TOTALLY REMOVED FROM OUR ROADS!!!!!!! Iam under so much stress when driving our Ford junk since Nov.08. No more Fords for us either. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • anabelanabel Posts: 21
    Hello Jim, Can you tell a little more about what you are getting into or what you have already done and what you are wanting us to do? Is this not something I can do myself?

Thanks,
    Anabel :confuse:
  • I just filed my complaint. ODI 10282433

Thanks for the help with this!!
  • Im intrested in class action, but.... don't understand why gov. isn't notifying us thru US MAIL? Im not wanting to give personal info. on puter. Won't someone notify us bout class action?
  • As we value the personal safety of our members, please do NOT post your address, phone number, etc. If you wish to correspond with another member privately, you can send them an email via their CarSpace address, username@carspace.com

We also prohibit the posting of third party phone numbers. Although they may have provided it to you in an email, you may re-post it in the Forums.

If you have any questions, you may direct them to me in an email. Click on my username for that information.

Thank you for your future cooperation.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• That should be you may NOT re-post third party emails and contact information. :blush:

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Karen,

Thank you for informing us all of the rules.

This vehicle had created much stress for so many of us, produced quite a bit of confusion as to why this vehicle is still on the roadway without a recall for such a serious safety issue, and left many of us wondering why the government is not doing something. Financially, it has drained many of our pocketbooks to benefit the CEOs of Ford.

A class action suit is not handled by the government so it is up to the private sector to handle the situation. The government will not send you anything in regards to a suit. My understanding of what NHTSA does is to gather information from the manufacture, assess the situation, prompt the manufacture to make the corrective changes, and I believe that they will fine the company if they are found to be at fault.

With the personal cost, we must gather as a group, find an attorney who will take the case to court against the manufacturer, win the case, and then, restitution can take place according to the settlement that was won (if any). So, if a class action suit was to take place, an attorney would need to gather a "class" of people.

I could be wrong about this information, but from what I have read, I believe this is the case.