Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    Edmunds is wonderful. It helped me realize that I was not the only one with the problem, and assisted me in finding some resources to file a complaint.
  • I'm not sure why just the 04 and 05's either. Our 06 has had the transmission fail twice now. I live in fear of us be injured or killed. It's our newest family vehicle and we still owe on it, so we're stuck. I just remain prayerful and hope Ford does the right thing.
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    I would not count on Ford Motor Company doing the right thing for the consumer without a legal team forcing them to repair their problem. If they had intended to correct this, it would of been long resolved.

Ford products will no longer be in my driveway. I have seen firsthand how poorly Ford respects their customers so I will honor them with the same respect. Ask me about my Ford 2004 Freestar Van!
  • Those of you who have had more than one transmission failure on the Freestars have me really worried. As I drive a lot and most of the time alone I do worry if my transmission should fail again and try to think of all the scenarios that I could place myself in. It doesn't keep me from driving but it is always on my mind. As I have stated in previous posts I have written Ford for the 4th time and copied NHTSA as well as The Center for Auto Safety. To date I have not heard from anyone except a lawyer soliciting for a class action suit. I will not give up, however, but will keep the pressure on Ford Motor Co. They owe all of us an explanation plus either a recall or reimbursement. Good luck to you and all the others who have experienced the same.
  • My letter to NHTSA was returned today by the post office saying I needed a specific name and room number. I sent it to 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, West Building, Washington, DC. They blacked out the zip code and bar coding. Does anyone have the name of a specific person and their room number? I would appreciate hearing from anyone with requested info.
    P.S. By the way, I returned today from a trip and listened to a recorded message from Ford Motor Co. (same as several weeks ago) saying if I had any questions just to call them. Oh, by the way they will not reimburse me for the repair. I am not going to waste my time calling customer service again and then receive a stupid, senseless evaluation of the phone call.
  • ftfclubftfclub Posts: 14
    The address that we have is.....

Stephen McHenry
    Investigator USDot
    NVS-213 Room W48-308
    Office of Defects Investigation
    1200 New Jersey Ave., SE
    Washington, DC 20590-0001
  • ftfclubftfclub Posts: 14
    The address that we have is.....

Stephen McHenry
    Investigator USDot
    NVS-213 Room W48-308
    Office of Defects Investigation
    1200 New Jersey Ave., SE
    Washington, DC 20590-0001
  • Thank you very much for the info. I will get it back on its way pronto!
  • Is there any way as a group a class action lawsiut could be started against Ford. Surely someone here is a lawyer or knows of a good one!
  • jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    I feel your pain. My experience with Ford's "Customer Relationship Center" was maddening. It was obvious that they were reading from a script and that, no matter what I said, they would have one of many company sanctioned responses that all, inevitably, would have the same result; THERE IS NOTHING WE WILL DO FOR YOU.

What a bunch of cowards. My family was put in harm's way by their defective product and I had been a Ford customer for 25 years and they could not have cared less.

I guess everything I have ever been taught about building a business and cultivating and keeping customers was wrong. I guess Ford thinks that 25 years of loyalty and the future business they have now lost from me, (I am only 43), and my family which is very large in number, is dispensible.

What a shame. How different it could have been.....
  • jrodimonjrodimon Posts: 6
    I got my Van back last week after $2800 to replace my transmission. Now the van misfires, backfires and stutters. I remember it doing this just before the transmission died. The van ran great for 3 days then it got cold and rainy and the vehical is now bucking etc. It has not stalled out but feels wrong and sounds bad. I have spent $4500 in the past in two months with this car. Transmission, Binding Steering, tires(wore out in one year), sensors and vacuum hoses havbe all been changed. I need a real fix before I go broke. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • More than likely it's water getting into the PCM. Same thing happened to me and they had to reseal it so water would not get in. Make sure you have them open up the PCM to see if there is water inside (probably is).
  • cbark77cbark77 Posts: 1
    hey im having the same problem but I cant seem to find any site that can help me locate the PCM or the TSB if you still have the instructions or know how to locate them please contact me it would help alot
  • bobbijobobbijo Posts: 9
    Try message #941 in this stream. These are the instructions we used to check ours out. He does a good job taking you step by step. It is actually pretty easy to get in there & check it out. Someone also posted a link to some pictures of a water damaged PCM which I found interesting--that link was also in this stream somewhere but maybe it would be quicker to just use your browser to search for pictures--I have learned a lot about my van that way! But you will be able to tell if there is moisture in there or not--even if water doesn't pour out, carefully take the PCM out of the cavity & stick your hand inside. The 'ceiling' of my cavity has a fabric-like liner that would feel damp. My mechanic said even a little moisture is bad so even if you don't get a waterfall you may still have water gremlins. Good Luck! At least this fix isn't as expensive as the torque converter/transmission!!
  • Today I received my second written response from Ford Motor Co. While they thanked me for keeping them apprised of my situation they have provided me with a final resolution (nothing) and therefore this response will be their last written communication on the matter. What a way to treat a loyal Ford customer.

I would ask EVERYONE that has had a problem please, please write to Ford Motor Company more than once if you have to. Let's inundate them just as we inundated the Congress phone lines this week. Customer service sends out form letters and when they call you can tell they are reading from a script.

In the next few weeks let's start bringing this to the public's eye as I am sure there are many Freestar (and other models) problems that have not been reported and would certainly make other Ford owners aware of the problems.

REMEMBER THE SQUEAKIEST WHEEL GETS THE OIL - LET'S ALL SQUEAK!!!!
    Thank you.
  • lsagolsago Posts: 1
    Have had van since Sep 2005., now with 109,000. No problems till lately.
    Same problems everyone else relates. Loss of power with no warning. No reverse.
    Will jump, buck, and chirp like a bird. In to dealer several times. Have had sensors, PCM , etc replaced. They "dry out" PCM, fabricate a shield, and say I am good to go. Still back to them as we speak. A very scary and unsafe situation. I am in fear of my and family safety to drive it from the dealership. Svc mgr advises he was unaware of any such problems. I directed him to the internet to learn more. Ford produced the Freestar from 2004-2007 model years. I see no complaints for 2006-2007 models. Seems maybe Ford fixed the problem. Trying to figure what to do now. Know of anyone who may have installed a 2006-2007 in an
    earlier year model ? Would it work ? Picking mine up again this p.m. Will advise all of outcome.
  • drhmthdrhmth Posts: 6
    Please, please be sure that you are reporting your problem to the NHSTA. There has been an ongoing investigation since last fall but they need to hear directly from all those affected, one by one. If any of you believe that Ford/Mercury is going to step up to the plate on this, I'm sorry to say you are wasting your time. Please go to the NHSTA web site and they have a place where you can air your grievance.
  • I have written NHTSA and the Center for Auto Safety. However, I am continuing to write Ford regardless. I have not heard from either of the above.
  • tervmomtervmom Posts: 12
    Transmissions problems are in all years of the Freestar. The 2006 & 2007's just don't have as much time on the road. My 2006's transmission went out at 47,000 in March 2009. NHTSA investigator told me (after I sent him a letter making sure he was including 2006's in the investigation) that the investigation is open to later years, too.
  • Thanks for updating everyone. We have a 2006 that has failed twice! I did worry that we would not be included. I don't have a lot of hope that Ford will do the right thing. HOWEVER, unfortunately, it's not if but actually WHEN someone(s) die or are seriously injured, I want there to be as much evidence of this as possible.
  • iferifer Posts: 11
    Does anyone have the part number for the PCM? I've been looking to order online but need the part number to be sure I order the correct one. I DO NOT want to call the local dealship to help and they do not have a good reputation here. :(
  • jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Unfortunately, this has been Ford's response from the beginning and I have been at this since November, 2007 when our transmission went at 45K miles on our 2004 Freestar, leaving my wife and kids stranded in the middle of an intersection during rush hour traffic. They could have been killed. Ford does not care about its customers, end of story. I had been a loyal Ford customer for 25 years. The only chance we have to get anything done is either through legal pressure, public scrutiny, private sector organizations like the Center for Auto Safety or a combination of all three. NHTSA has pretty much been proven to be a lapdog for the industry rather a watchdog although, they are conducting an investigation. Given the backdrop of the Toyota debacle, I actually think we might have a chance that NHTSA will hold Ford accountable. Imagine if they give Ford a pass and the issue comes to light on a national scale when, inevitably, somebody gets killed as a result of this defect. (I wouldn't be at all surprised if this has already happened and has either been covered up or not properly attributed to this defect.)

In the meantime, keep up the pressure. Contact all of your representatives at all levels of government, your local media outlets, your local attorney general, etc.,.
    Most importantly, tell everyone you know that drives a Freestar to beware of the danger. You just might save their life.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • drea3005drea3005 Posts: 9
    Thank you all for posting. It is from this website that I found out that I am not alone. I was travelling 45mph on the highway when my van dropped to 20mph and
    would not accelerate. I immediately put on my hazzard lights so that I would not
    get rear ended and pulled right into a driveway. At that point it would not move anymore. I had to have it towed home (which was 30 miles away). I had it taken to a shop that belongs to a friend. He checked the PCM and it showed no signs
    of being damp. He could not figure it out. So I had it towed to the local Ford dealer. By the end of the day -I was told it was the transmission. We have had transmissions go out before on other vehicles and we had warnings -so we were able to be ready. We had no signs of a transmission going out with this vehicle. Nothing!! I just thank God that we were not hurt. By the way a new transmission will cost me $3100 -due by Friday/April 2nd. I have e-mailed Ford, NHTSA, and CBS-Investigator Dept. I will send out a letter today to Mr. McHenry. All in an effort to avoid a death. I hope someone will listen.
  • I have an 05 Freestar, last year it stranded me. I had it towed to Ford garage, the linkage was bound up. Then it would not go into reverse. The transmission was full of water and was rusty. They blamed it on road conditions, my insurance paid to have it repaired. Two days ago I took it in because the tranny was slipping. The brain was full of water. Get this, it has been out of warranty for some time now, but they are telling me that it is still under warranty and they fixed it for free. I know they lied to me. What is causing the tranny and the brain to get full of water? I have not driven through flood water at all, I live in Tillamook Oregon. I am thinking this van should have been recalled. Can anyone email me with phone numbers to call and complain? linnettegallagher1@embarqmail.com Thanks, I dont know when I can check back on this forum. Linnette Gallagher
  • Go to the website of nhtsa.gov or nhtsa.org and also car safety. I JUST got my frestar back today, THREE weeks in the garage because of the way it needs to be taken off the frame and this removed and that removed and then put all back together. BLAH BLAH BLAH. The mehcanic was great, but FORD WAS NOT. Also control arms had to be relplaced. Please know also that I put in a heavier duty gear that usually BREAKS because it was CHEAPLY made. (Emphasis is if FORD happens to read these posts.) IF you take it to a tranny shop or a dealer shop beware --they WILL likely schiester (spelling?) you. Don't give up. Also, on both the websites say YES to class action suit and SAVE ALL your receipts from ANY and ALL work & repairs done to your car, just in case. I hope the best for you.
    Make sure you get your seals checked.
  • The same is happening with my 2005 Ford Freestar, bought it 7 months ago with 38,000 miles and thought I was getting a great deal...its was driving normally and then would not move....No lights or Warning at all!!! I am willing at this point just to pay and fix it...BUT...has anyone fixed it and then been good for a good number of years?? I mean, I don't want to spend $1,000 - $3,000 and then still have the same problem, but my wife needs this car to get around with the kids and I can't afford to go get another car right now.
  • anabelanabel Posts: 21
    Just wanted to tell you about our experience. I am also a mother of 3 little ones and this vehicle was very necessary for my getting around with them safely. We broke down the first time February of 2009, and then 5 months later on July 4th broke down again with the same problem. Our transmission was defective and there was no resolution to making it where it would not break down again. AAmco could not promise me anything. So we had to get rid of it. My husband lost his job in June of that same year during those break downs and just got back to work 3 weeks ago, so I understand the being able to afford getting a new vehicle. But because we have been just waiting for the next breakdown, and we couldn't trust it going anywhere anymore, the worry just wasn't worth it. We had to down grade to something we new would not breakdown like that. Good luck and hopefully you can make the right decision for your family. We simply couldn't wait for justice to be done with Ford. Our families safety depended on us moving on.
  • sjtdadsjtdad Posts: 11
    We bought our '05 Freestar in January '06 with only 4700 miles on it and got an unbelievable deal. Last December, with 52,000 miles on it, it just wouldn't move one day after we came out of church. No warning, nothing. We finally got it to budge in a lower gear enough to get it 3 miles to our Ford dealer. They had always treated us well doing warranty work even though we hadn't bought the van there. It cost about $3400 for a rebuilt Ford transmission unit that carries a 100,000 mile warranty. I figured it would be better to just replace the thing than repair it and take a chance. We've put 5,000 miles on it in 3+ months and it is doing fine so far. We were like you--we desperately needed this van for 3 kids and couldn't afford another van or SUV--and we knew the Freestar had no trade-in value as it sat, so we had to bite the bullet and fix it. Maybe after we get some of our investment back we'll look at selling/trading it, but so far it's doing fine. Otherwise, I still like this van a lot. Good size, drives great, good engine. I've driven Fords for 30+ years and this is the first failure I've had, so I can't get too upset I figure.
  • steph_mcsteph_mc Posts: 1
    I want this taken care of..... I am udderly pissed off about this. My 2005 freestar quit on me 2 days ago...quote $1000-$1600, after diagnosis $3000-$3300...... WHAT THE HECK FORD!!!! With all of these complaints seriously you want someone to get killed before anything is done....I am sure that this has caused some accidents. I was on the e-way when mine just quit!!!! I am outraged!!!!! I have owned nothing but fords my whole life, my father worked for them and is retired from there. Come on really I will never by a ford again unless this gets paid for!!!!! 5 years old and 80,000 should not have happened!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • shocked1shocked1 Posts: 85
    GOOD LUCK STEPH.... BEEN GOING ON 2 YRS. SINCE MY TRANNY WENT OUT. FORD, NASH, OR OBAMA CARES! HUBBY'S 71, STILL WORKS, ONLY CAR WE'LL HAVE SOON. TIME FOR TRANNY TO QUIT AGAIN.

AGAIN, GOOD LUCK..WE'RE STUCK WITH FORD'S TRASH....UNLIKE TOYOTA...