Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• I'LL NEVER OWN ANOTHER FORD. THEY DON'T BACK US AT ALL. I TELL EVERY FREESTAR OR WINDSTAR OWNER I SEE ABOUT THIS TRASH THEY SALE!!!!!!!
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    If I know anyone who is looking to buy a new or used vehicle, I tell them about my experience with the Freestar. I find it interesting that all the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) were issued the first year that the vehicle was released on the market. I believe that Ford knew these were lemons even before they started to sell them. Fraud.

Not only do we have to pay for their engineering mishaps, but they have the audacity to risk our lives and others. Criminal.

Did you know that TSBs are copyrighted?

Here is an interesting article on automobile disputes. Sort of a self-help guide.
    http://philip.greenspun.com/politics/litigation/automobile-disputes.html
    Has anyone written letters to Senators, Congressman, NHTSA, or others? If you have written, did you receive any response?
  • The transmission on my 2005 Freestar went out on the interstate going 70 mph with four grandchildren on board. There was no warning except the motor suddenly raced twice. The transmission shop advises that it is a pump and the repairs will be $2K. The van has less than 60K miles so this should not have happened. Is there any action that can be taken?
  • With this many breakdowns and problems with the same issue, and NHTSA says it does not matter how many "#" people complaints they get, what is taking them so long to go forward to Ford? Could they actually be waiting until something like a fatality or close occurs before they move forward? I don't understand their hesitation on this.
  • rdg2rdg2 Posts: 1
    Tess,
    My 05 Freestar did the same thing as yours Sep 18. Only my transmission died when I tapped brake to shut of cruise-control. It never slipped, made noise , or ANYTHING !! I cant afford another & dont know what to do now ?? We ALL need to join the clas-action suit that is coming !! The more the better chance of getting something done about Ford getting away with selling what they know is defective brand-new !!
    Rod
  • Im sorry, but im not too optimistic of FORD doing anything. Our trans. guarentee runs out NOV. 09. Been told our's will go again. Well NEVER BUY ANOTHER fORD!!!!! MMmY BRO. GOT RID OF HIS MUSTANG,and went to TOYATO. aND i TELL EVERYONE i RUN INTO ABOUT THIS CRAP WE'RE STUCK WITH!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • You know what is sad about this? I know I got a lemon but so does ford. I have traded in many cars in my day, upside down or not but they always take my trade due to the fact they want your bussiness. I have two years left on this piece of junk freestar and went to trade it in, they flat out told me they would not take the van as a trade in. Would not give me a reason, just they wont take it. Now that tells you they know it is a piece of junk, now thats SAD......
    We all have the right to go to small claims court and file claims against Ford ourselves. Think about how much money it will cost Ford to send legal representation to defend all those claims.

I have found that the government has a hand in all this as well. They need to do their job and have Ford release the information. I am sure that Ford has made a plea about the hardship they will encounter if they have to recall these vehicles.

How many of you have called the customer relations center at Ford?

Under the TREAD Act, Public Citizen's proved that NHTSA lacked the authority to issue substantive rules under FOIA, and that releasing the Early Warning Data would cause competitive harm to manufactures. This includes all the customer complaints to them. Our government has not been protecting us as they should be, but instead, they've been protecting the car manufactures. Look how many defective vehicles Fords has been producing.
  • Bought a used 2004 Freestar in May, and thought it was a good deal. Van was traded in with a bad trans. Dealer put a used trans in it, I test drove it and bought it. Less than 5000 mles later, I have a 4000 pound boulder in my driveway. Now seeing if I can peddle it back off! Is there any info on success rates with replacement transmissions?? :sick: :lemon: :mad:
    Welcome to the club of defective Freestar owners......sorry! Not the kind of club you want to be in.

"Failure of the "Neutral to Drive Accumulator" causes hard shifts into a drive gear (R, OD, D, 1). from "N" or "P". This can become quite violent. Reason for this part's failure: Piston stuck, seals or springs—damaged, missing. Correction for this problem: Check for damage. Replace as required (located inside the transmission, recommended that a transmission shop do the repair, but a full rebuild of the transmission is NOT required).".....as per Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AXOD_transmission#AX4N
  • msq1224msq1224 Posts: 16
    So sorry you've joined our club! If it makes you feel any better, when mine failed at 67,000 miles, I didn't want to take a chance on a rebuilt transmission. I paid the extra to get a new one with a 75,000 mile warranty. I now have >101,000 miles, so it has lasted at least 34,000 miles and has no signs of trouble (yet). The problem is that once you put so much money into the vehicle you have to keep it!
  • My 2004 Ford Freestar just stopped moving while I was driving into a parking lot. I had it towed to a nearby service station where I was told that my transmission went out. My husband and I called 2 transmission shops to get an estimate on how much the repairs would be and we were told that there were 5 other vehicles in the shop within the last week with the same problem. I called the Ford dealership thinking that there must be a recall on this problem and was told by the dealership that yes, it was a very common problem, but there were no recalls on this vehicle. This is the last Ford vehicle we will ever buy.
  • Remember, the NHT(Safety)A will not do anything major i.e. recall, until they determine that it is a real safety problem. Similar to the Toyota recall.
  • My repair guareente will expire this Nov. And have been told "it will goout again". My self&71 yr.old husband was very lucky 1st time, whose to say 2nd? We are VERY ticked with ford AND NHTSAFETY?A. bOTH HAS HAD ENOUGH TIME ON THIS STINKIN SUBJECT AND DEATH TRAP!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    NHTSA works for the people of this country.

I would recommend that you contact your Senators and Congresspeople and get NHTSA to do what they need to do. There is no doubt that this is a SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE and a MAJOR DEFECT that will get someone killed or serious injured. I do not believe that any of us who own or have owned these vehicles believe anything different otherwise we would not be so determined to get this issue resolved.

Let those responsible for correcting this problem hear you! Have Ford disclose the number of customer complaints, warranty repairs, secret warranty repairs, and recall and FIX this problem!
  • jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Nadine is right everybody.In addition to the class action, we need to contact our representitives in Congress and turn up the heat on NHTSA. They work for us and need to their job. Their inaction is like me standing by while a crime is being committed and doing nothing to stop it. I believe what Ford has done and is doing is both fraudulent and criminal and needs to be addressed accordingly. People's lives are literally at stake.

In the meantime, I would really like for everyone who wants to join me in a class action to contact me via my Email address which you can get from my profile on this website. I have several contacts already but, as we all know, the more, the better.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • The transmission went at 85,000 with no signs of any problems prior...well driving on a somewhat busy street during rush hour, going up hill, i suddenly lost the ability to accelerate and was forced to pull over as much as possible to prevent a traffic back up. I understand based on previous comments that there would be no recall on such a problem unless it was a "safety" issue. Can someone please define "safety", because if what they mean by safety issue is that someone would need to actually be injured before this can be recalled I would need to question the social responsibility of both ford and the NHTSA. If a situation like this, happens without warning to an unsuspecting driver while on the highway then i would have to question the safety factor here?
  • Just last night I had the same thing happen with 7 women in the VAN on i-25 1400 miles from home. The Van was towed to a local dealership and I "believe" I have the extended warranty -- how did they fix your problem? What was the cost?
    Yes we also were hit by several tractor trailers trying to get off to the shoulder of the highway from going from 75 miles a hour (the posted speed limit) to no power.
    Any info you can provide as I deal with this out of town dealer would be appreciated. AndreaDoria
    If I were you, I would contact Ford and I would not let them give me a bill for this. Then, I would file a complaint with NHTSA.

Would you explain what you mean when you say that you were hit by several tractor trailers? Do you mean that you were personally hit by the trucks or the vehicle was hit by the trucks?