Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• Same problem with our Freestar. Will take part in this complaint
  • Ditto for my 2005 Freestar with 100k miles. It was running fine and after pulling away from a stoplight; transmission just started slipping ( 100% slip ) and from there the story is the same. Haven't spent the $3500 yet - will probably scrap the car. My 2000 Windstar did similar at 30k+ miles. So I bought a new 2011 Sienna. I'm a Toyota man now.
  • Ditto for my 2005 Freestar. I was driving down a road in January, and it just went. I had to coast to the nearest place, and had to walk over a mile to get to somewhere with a phone. Only had 54K on it, called the dealership where we got it, and he told me "lady, I have a 2008 Taurus in here with 35K with it's transmission shot, so what are you whining about?" Called Ford customer service and they told me they couldn't help either due to the mileage. So it sat for over a year because we couldn't afford to get it fixed since I wasn't working. Finally got it up and running again, but now it's starting to have other problems.
    NEVER again will I buy a Found On Road Dead. I'm a die hard GM customer from now on!! :confuse:
  • It is doing the same thing. It stalls when I am driving with no warning--I am a single mom, and I had four kids in my van!!! I took it to a local shop who could not find anything wrong with it. I got it back, and it started to do the same thing again except for it had major slippage. My transaxle light would come on and blink and then just turn off. The tachometer would surge if I put it in drive and my foot was NOT on the gas. It was very strange. I do have a used car warranty that I purchased when I got this van (8/28/10)--yep, only had this van for a short time. So it should be covered--Aamco has already filed a claim for it. I am printing out these posts to show that others are having similar issues--I don't want them to blame me for this going wrong. Ugh.

Does anyone have a link to the complaint/suit that they can post in a more recent posting?
    It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tamara :lemon:
  • fordctfordct Posts: 2
    My wife and I own a 2005 Ford Freestar (78,000 miles). This morning (1/20/2011) on her way to work the car lost power without warning. What she explained to me over the phone I suspected it was a problem with the transmission. We had it towed to the local Ford Dealership in Vernon, CT. Mechanic inspected the vehicle and said the 'torque converter' was shot and would cost $1,700 to replace. The other option would to replace the entire transmission at a charge of $3,700. I explained to him that while doing research about that this seemed to be a common issue with this specific model year Freestar and he claimed this was the 1st Freestar he has ever had with a failed converter...YEAH RIGHT!!! I'm not sure if I want to repair the vehicle or get rid of it all together. also there is a class-action suit currently filed with this same issue.
  • fordctfordct Posts: 2
    My wife and I own a 2005 Ford Freestar (78,000 miles). This morning (1/20/2011) on her way to work the car lost power without warning. What she explained to me over the phone I suspected it was a problem with the transmission. We had it towed to the local Ford Dealership in Vernon, CT. Mechanic inspected the vehicle and said the 'torque converter' was shot and would cost $1,700 to replace. The other option would to replace the entire transmission at a charge of $3,700. I explained to him that while doing research about that this seemed to be a common issue with this specific model year Freestar and he claimed this was the 1st Freestar he has ever had with a failed converter. I not sure if I want to repair the vehicle or get rid of it all together. Honestly, it's been nothing but issues with this car. Brakes changes 4-times.....tires bald unevenly (been through 3 sets)...had axles replaced with 17K on vehicle. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD AGAIN!!!!!
  • Well I'm sure the service writer has no conscience. We traded our Freestar in 2 days after my post. We now own a Chrysler Town and Country. Although I understand your comment I will still buy Ford vehicles. I have owned many great cars, trucks, and vans all made by Ford--I LOVE MY MUSTANG! However, the winstar/freestar experiment was not a good one. Perhaps that is why they do not make a minivan anymore!? FoMoCo I hope you are reading this--you KNOW that van has transmission problems-MAN UP!!!!
  • I, too, have a similar story to all of you. I was driving home from work and without warning lost all ability to move. The van was still running but there were no gears working. Needless to say had the vehicle towed and mechanic states the pump in the transmission went out. Transmission needs replaced. It will cost over $2500.00 (plus labor) to fix. That is almost as much as I owe! I have also had to replace the passenger rear rotors and breaks each year. This is the worst investment my family has ever made. Needless to say it was 12 degrees out and I had my young son when we were stranded along the side of the road.
  • My van is currently in the shop for the hydraulic pump going out on my 2004 Freestar. I purchased a warranty though when I bought it in August last year, so it is covering all of the repairs ($2500) except for my $50 deductible and a $25 charge for a filter that was not covered by the warranty. I tell you what--if I did not have that warranty, that van would be sitting in my driveway for a VERY LONG time. I don't understand why Ford makes such crappy vehicles. Is it that they want to make sure people have job repairing the crappy transmissions????? I am a single mom of five kids, and we were all in the van when the van stalled and I could barely get it pulled over. Very scary--it was also raining and at night.

Does anyone know of a lawsuit pending for the transmission on a 2004 Freestar?
  • Happened to us two years ago...needed a new tranny. Dealer gave us the same story - 'never seen it before'. I wrote to Ford letting them know I had been buying Ford for company vehicles for 15 years and had two in my garage now, but they couldn't care less. Going Honda next time...

Anyone know of a class claim to join?
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    I know that two suits have been filed. One in Minnesota and the other in Maryland. Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah (http://www.sfmslaw.com/class-action-lawsuits/cases.php?id=932) has a suit pending so you could leave them your contact information. They seem to have offices throughout the US.

“The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group,” Franklin D. Roosevelt

"A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to Farce, or a Tragedy, or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance. and a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives." James Madison, 1822
  • 2005 Mercury Monterey +100K miles. When driving at 55+mph, and only in wet/snowy cold weather, it seems like the transmission slips or hesitates ever so slightly - periodically. Seems to go away when driving at a slower speed. I'm not certain this is a transmission problem. The RPM gauge does NOT seem to change when the incidents occur. Never notice when conditions are dry. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me?
  • I followed up with the NHTSA Investigator who is handling the 2005 Ford Freestar transmission investigation. He told me that the investigation is on-going and that is all he is allowed to tell me. They have recently received information from Ford and if a recall is issued, anyone who is covered by it will be notified directly by Ford. The investigator responded to my e-mail within 15 minutes and seems very professional and thorough. I'm hoping they push Ford to issue a recall and hopefully we can all get our money back.
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    If you are not the original owner of the vehicle, you will not a notification from Ford. Only the original owner will get the notice.
  • 2006 Ford Freestar. Same thing is happening to me. Only when cold, wet, snowy. My transmission was replaced in January 2010 with 75,000 miles. Lets hope this one isn't going too.
  • I own a 2004 FreeStar with 83 K highway mileage... After parked into the garage, It will not move again!!! Engine ran OK, I asked a mechanics, it is a Transmission problem for Freestar.. The transmission oil level is very high, indicating that the pump is not working.. I saw so many Freestar owners had the exactly problem,this is proof that Ford did have a design problem for this Car.

I hope someone can take legal action against Ford.
  • Sounds like something was going on back in 2001 with the Spline problem for the Torque Converter;

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/2009/PE/INR- D-PE09033-41780P.pdf
  • barrybeck1barrybeck1 Posts: 11
    edited February 2011
    Exactly the problem I had with my 2004 freestar. They told me the oil pump when out and drove the pump shaft thru the torque converter. Fortunately for me, my freestart was under a Ford extended service program and Ford fixed it under warranty. I now have 139,000 miles on it and I'm hoping for the best. I no longer have any kind of warranty except for me. I have a 2004 SEL fully loaded and Knock on wood since that time only one other problem. Cruise control went out but I found reading on the internet it was a break control switch. I called my Ford dealer and the parts man said when I asked for the switch, what happen cruise go out? The switch cost $28 and my local mechanic put it in for another $50, everything has been working ok since but I still worry about the transmission.
    I think Ford needs a law suite leveled at them for this, its very much of a known problem, as is that cruise contro break switch. I was told the trans is really for a Taursus and subquently not desiged for a 4500lbs auto, and thats why it eventually gives out.
  • Your story is so sad. That's the main reason why I sold my freestar a year ago.
    I do a lot of long driving every summer with my kids and I don't want that
    thing gave up on me with them especially on highway. I lost money when I sold it, but the main thing here is we don't worry about it anymore while driving away from home. It will happen once or twice mine just once after that
    it is over for this junk. Good body, but bad tranny and more...
  • We also own a 2004 Ford Freestar and when it gets really hot our transmission light comes on. The sensor system is also screwed up the drivers side window does not go up or down. My air conditioning also went out. And our engine light just turned on and it makes a horrible screaming noise. What are we supposed to do? I can't buy a new car this one is almost all paid off. My husband was diagnosed with a terminal brain disease and I rely on my car so much to get him to dr appointments and get the kids to school and myself to work since I am the breadwinner. Any input would be nice thanks.
  • Hello, sorry to hear about your husband. The drivers side window in my freestar would not go down, I removed part of the rubber seal on the outside that was holding it from doing so. There was also also a squealing noise ( sounded just like squeal disc brakes make), but brakes were fine. It is the hub assy. Right front in my case; The noise is annoying , but prob. will not fail. I do not know about your other issues, I can only offer my labor free of charge if you are close enough to south central Pa.
  • Transmission transaxil ,I'm having the same problems with my 04 freestar,paid $1500 to have transmission rebuilt,but now my 1 yr. 50,000 mi warranty is up and this thing is not right,sometimes hesitates going into gear and the transaxil light is on.I hope we can get a recall for this or even selling is a bad option
  • Can you provide any details about the NHTSA Ford Freestar investigation?

I am the original owner of a 2005 Freestar that had the torque converter replaced at 30K mi (one month out of warranty!) and now again at 65K mi the torque converter and pump need to be replaced. Both times it was completely without warning and the second time was at night on the interstate.

It cost $1000 the first time and they tell me it will be $3500 for this.

I am very interested in seeing what the investigation reveals.

Thanks!
  • Here is the website...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

you will need to search defect investigations. when you get to the results, you will be able to view a summary of the investigation and also the documents. it is still an open investigation.
  • I just got my van back exactly one month ago. When I picked it up, they said to bring it back in 2 weeks to a month--well, here it is. One month later, and I had to have it towed to their parking lot as it was after hours. I can't wait to hear from them in the morning. I will not buy another Ford. I am a single mom of five kids, and I REALLY need my van. Too bad Ford doesn't care about it customers. :lemon:
  • as far as I have read on here, the NHTSA investigation has not reached the 2005's yet... they are still on the 2004's with no resolution. I have had the same exact problems (around the same mileage no less) with my 2005 Freestar. First was at 39K second at 67K. We did manage to get it fixed (had it towed away from the dealer that quoted $3500) at a transmission shop for $2300. Still too much out of pocket money but better than what the dealer would have charged. I feel your pain!
  • alton5alton5 Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    I have a 2004 Freestar and was traveling on a 5 line freeway when all the sudden the tran light came on. The car lost all power even the power steering. I was in the inside lane and had to coast to try and make it off the highway cutting off traffic. I had my 3 kids in the car and was terrified as we almost got slammed in to twice since I was coasting at 30 and the traffic was going 70. Once on the side of the road I tried to start the van and nothing worked. Had to walk with my 3 girls 2 mikes along side the highway "against the law" to get to a pay phone and call AAA. Had the van towed to a shop and it will cost me $3000 to fix. Ford- Shame on you! You have put a big burden on my family and put our lives at risk!!! - Alton Dennis :lemon:
  • we need everyone here, to register a complaint with the NHTSA. It getting rediculous to read all the same complaints and problems and then go the NHTSA web site and see they only have 200 complaints. That is not going to get them on Fords back to do something. They need everyone to complain. yes I have registered a complaint and everyone else :mad: here should also.
  • what is the new URL. i have tried the link and no go.
  • I feel your pain as well.

I opted this time (again) to have the repair done at the dealer, even though it's probably more expensive, on the hope that there is a recall on this problem and I can get reimbursed.

This is clearly a defect that is a huge safety issue.

On the second failure I sat with my two young children on the side of the interstate at 10pm in the middle of winter for 1 hour waiting for a tow truck. Unbelievably nerve-wracking!

I understand that investigations must perform due diligence, but where is the action on this problem? How do you find a contact to learn more?