Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• mumpspromumpspro Posts: 1
    Add me to the list with 2005 Ford Freestar Transmission failure....only 54k miles on the vehicle and no warranty :(
  • I called Ford customer service. All thou they were very friendly they could not tell me any thing other then there has been no recall on the transmission. They said I could pay to have the van towed to the dealer and pay to have a dynastic test to see what the failure is. But no promise of any help.
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    edited April 2011
    Ford does not play well with others so I would not play nice with them. This is a well know issue, well documented issue, and if you are waiting for a promise of any help...I would forget it. This is a time to be assertive with them otherwise they will let you foot a rather large bill for repairs. From what I have experienced, Ford has not a bit of regard for your safety, financial status, or any ethical issues that revolve around this vehicle. All reasons that I will never, ever have another Ford in my driveway. I will express this to all I know, and the longer that Fords allows this miscarriage of justice to continue, the louder I will become in my expression of outrage.

Regards.
  • i have a question....i have a 04 freestar with the 3.9 motor in it....ithas just recently started squeaking over somewhere by the serpentine belt and we just cant figure it out...it doesnt do it all the time only when it is cold...but now it will sputter every once in a while and die but it never turns on the check enginel light when it does so we have changed the belt tensioner because it wiggled a little thinking that was it but it wasnt...it sounds likeit is inthe back and lower on one of the pulleys but i have no clue...plz help...it only has 104,000 miles on it...we have replaced the everything but the sparkplug wires, fuel pump,and the motor and tranny because we havent needed too
  • misty10misty10 Posts: 23
    We also have a 2004 and the squeaking comes from the cam position sensor. Just take out the two screws and unplug wire, then lift the cap off and squirt turbine oil or slick 50 lube. This does work for quite awhile but the part does need to be eventually replaced. It's about $140.00 and need the alignment tool to do it. My husband is a mechanic so I luck out with this. You're lucky because we had to replace out torque converter twice so far.
  • fordfailfordfail Posts: 4
    Wanted to join the list of Freestar transmission failures. We heard a noise, and the transmission was gone. Had it towed to a transmission shop. Waiting to hear an estimate for repair. Anyone know what this is likely to cost me?
  • carranoacarranoa Posts: 7
    $3000-$4000.
    Wow. That is a tough pill to swallow. I was thinking $2000 max. I'm gonna puke.
  • cknechelcknechel Posts: 1
    Have a family member with a 2005 or maybe a 2004 Freestar. The van only has 17000 miles on it. The tranmission just stopped working. No problems leading up to the failure. This just occured yesterday April 11, 2011. She was told that it would cost $3400 to replace. It is totally wrong that Ford knows there is a problem, and never had a recall. So much for anyone in our family ever purchasing a Ford again.
    I was given three options for the transmission.

1. Rebuild existing transmission for $2200;
    2. Install after-market transmission by Precision Auto Parts with a 2 year parts/labor warranty for $2600 or;
    3. Get a genuine Ford transmission with a three year parts/labor warranty for $3150.

Since the car is an '04 with 60,000 miles on it, and I don't trust the Ford transmission anyway, I decided to hedge and go with the Precision Auto Parts transmission.

Any thoughts?
  • In anticipation of replacing the tranny on my 2005 Monterey, does anyone know if the rebuilt trannies have corrected the spline issue, are they any better than Ford's replacement?

Is there a definitively better replacement tranny out there?
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    edited April 2011
    A friend suggested this as recommended reading: http://asavagefactory.com/

I believe that you will find it very interesting to read about Ford through an employees perspective.
  • The transmission should be covered by the warranty even if you bought it used. I had the same problem, called Ford directly, and they took car of the replacing the transmission. Mine went out a 45,000 miles. You have to be forceful but kind with the people at corporate. They really are descent people. I hope this helps.
  • tervmomtervmom Posts: 12
    Nadine, Thanks for starting a FB page. My 2006 Freestar transmission died at approximately 47,000 miles without warning in March of 2009. (I posted on this website fairly soon after and have also filed with NHTSA.) Just asked to join the FB group.

Thanks, Brenda
  • Purchased a 2004 Freestar 11 months ago. We've now spend $1,400 in repairs to date. Took it in a couple of days ago to find out that the PCM we had replaced in Aug is already causing problems again. Luckily (or maybe not) the dealership did the PCM repair and I have my documentation. I'll be duking it out with them to cover the repairs since then that wouldn't have happened if they had fixed the problem right from the start. Mechanic opened the box to the PCM and told me that water poured out. In August, we were assured it was sealed up tight. Even the Ford mechanics can't fix these vans right! As someone else said, I thought the van was a steal but now I wish someone would steal the van!
  • ddivittoddivitto Posts: 3
    I have 2004 monterey, I replaced the transmission last year, and have had several electrical issues that seem to be the PCM problem. I called the dealer and he told the cost to replace the PCM would be $700 to $1000 dollars and he could not give any idea how long it would take because the part was hard find either new or used. So I had a friend who is a mechanic take the PCM out and dry it, and seal it up after replacing it, that was about 3 months ago and I am having problems again. Does anyone know if I could order a new PCM and have him replace it or does the PCM have to be hooked to a computer before using.
    thanks!
  • Well, I thought I was done with the mechanic for a while. Torque converter went. Besides the tranny, this is the last thing in the long list of Freestar problems to go. They quoted me $1000. Sound about right?
  • gobamagobama Posts: 16
    I have the Mercury Monteray. My transmission and torque convertor both went out. The cost was around $2,300. We did not have it done by the dealer ship since they would not cover it. A local transmission place did the work. So far we have had no additional problems. We did purchase an extended warranty on the work. I gave up on Ford after several attempts. Mine is a 2004 and has less than 80,000 miles on it. I drove my last two Mercury vans, both Villagers well over 100,000 miles each and never had issues either of these. I was hoping the same would hold true with the Monteray.
  • philvidphilvid Posts: 8
    edited August 2011
    Only 48,000 kms, holly ****!!

I've got a Freestar 2004 - 4.2 l and the transmission went last August. I was at 150,000 kms approx. Cost me $2500. Lucky for me that the transmission shop has a one year / 30,000km guarantee. I need ti send a letter of **** to Ford Canada...What a piece of junk this van !

Phil
    edited August 2011
    The transmission of my Freestar 2004 - 4.2 l died on me last August. The van had 150,000 kms on the odometer. A $2500 job + towing, thank you very much !
    I need to contact Ford and give then **** !

Don't ever buy a used one !

P. Vidori
    Get rid of the car...

:lemon:
  • artklartkl Posts: 1
    I OWN A 2005 FORD FREESTAR AND THE BLOODY TRANSMISSION WENT WITHOUT ANY WARNING. IT ONLY HAS 120000KM ON IT i CALLED FORD OF CANADA AND GOT THE RUN AROUND, I HEARD THAT THERE IS A LAW SUIT GOING ON WITH FORD AND SOME OF THE DIGRUNTLED OWNS OF THEIR FORDS. I THINK IT IS ABSOULUTE A DISGRACE THAT FORD WON'T RECALL THESE VEHICLES WHEN THEY KNOW THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THEM. SO IF ANYONE KNOWS WHO AND WHERE I CAN GET IN CONTACT WITH TO JOIN THE LAWSUIT.
    Honestly, getting 120,000KM out of a Freestar is pretty good. They are usually ready for the junkyard well before that. Expect expensive repair from here on out. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, it is just that we've all been there. The vehicle sucks...money. It was a disaster and Ford knows it. Notice they are no longer built!
  • jetmech03jetmech03 Posts: 1
    2005 Freestar I had same problem. Yes you can after you let the computer dry out for at least 3-5 days and reuse it After reading how the water passes under the drip shield under the windshield wipers due to cheap foam gasket which the water drips down the fire wall right onto the computer also the water drips on to the coil pack which cracks the plastic and will make the van backfire. I installed a home made shield over the top of the computer and put large amount of sealant where the gasket is that was 10,000 miles ago and have not had more problems. This pmc will destroy your transmission if you do not keep it from getting wet. when it gets wet the shifting it controls gets out wac making the trans do small micro shifts to torque converter lock out which then strips out the splines in the torque converter and your trans stops working. People have had thier trans go out replaced them and 10,000-15,000 milres later go out again for for the same torque converter failure because of water getting on the pmc. The pmc can get so wet that reverse would not work which was my case. I hope this was a help to you.
  • shocked1shocked1 Posts: 85
    I haven't responded on this site in 2 years... first time i registered complaint was 3 years, when we replaced a $1500.00 transmission!! And 3 yrs later NOTHING different. NO RECALLS!!Not going be any.... cause FORD still able to sale junk. In bank line Fri. lady nx to us had open door to do bussiness @ bank in her WINDSTAR. I noticed her cause Iwas having to do same thing!! Windows quit working!!!! FORD, WINDSTAR & FREESTARS SUX!!!! Oct / 2011 we are buying a TOYOTA.... WEVE NOTICED THEY STAND BEHIND RECALLS & REPAIRS...WHEN NEEDED!!!!! :mad: :P :lemon:
  • drhmthdrhmth Posts: 6
    The following is a copy of a letter I sent today to Stephen McHenry, the last know investigator with the NHSTA:
    It’s been several months since I have seen any reporting through Edmunds.com on the above titled issue and it looks like dates are changing on the dates investigations were opened (assume that’s just a procedural issue), but am pleased to see that the investigation is not closed, however, I am concerned that there is still no information about a recall campaign.

Is there a way to know how many of these vehicles were manufactured and are still on the road, today. Or, the totals vs. number of complaints for the model history?

I know from previous conversations we have had that there is little you can say, but, I do have to admit that Ford now being lauded as the car company that didn’t require a government bailout (maybe because they did such a poor job of standing behind their product back then), is a little disturbing.

I guess one question I can ask is that now that the Mercury brand is no longer being manufactured, is this travesty just going to die a slow death or will the Ford Freestar (same components) keep it alive?

Thank you for whatever has been done and can only hope that someday there will be a fair resolution.

PEOPLE............THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP THIS ISSUE ALIVE IS TO CONTINUE CONTACTING THE NHSTA WITH AS MUCH DETAIL OF YOUR "HORROR STORIES". THE CORRECT EMAIL FOR THE INVESTIGATOR I HAVE BEEN IN TOUCH WITH OVER THE YEARS (YEARS???ABSURD) IS: Stephen.McHenry@dot.gov
    :mad:
  • madman77madman77 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 freestar 3.9l with 84967ms on the dash which my family & I took on our vacation. The drive down & around was great but the trip home was something different. Without any warning my transmission went up. I notice that the van was losing power, the rpm damn near did a whole lap and massive smoke started coming out of the exhaust & from under the hood. I pulled over to get my family out & safe then I pop the hood when a small flame shoot out. I never had a vehicle that did anything like this and reading some of the other posted forums ford has some serious problems they need to address. How can you "FORD" have a vehicle on the road that's catching on fire or even having faulted transmission :mad:
  • idbumpkinidbumpkin Posts: 4
    I was leaving a softball game, and turned onto a busy road when all of a sudden I was no longer moving, like my Freestar was put in neutral. I immediately put my hazards on and tried putting it in reverse to see if I could get out of the road. No such luck! I called a girl on the team who was still in the parking lot, and she called over a family friend who was gracious enough to help me. He ended up having to bump my car accross 4 lanes of traffic so that I could park in a lot across the street. I was nearly hit by a motorcycle and another car!! I had the van towed to the dealership who said it was the torque converter. The cost to fix it is $1700, but he recommended that we rebuild the transmission because when there is one problem, it is likely the whole thing will go later. That is a mere $3400. We called a local place who said he could do it for $1100. He also said we should look online because he heard there was a class action lawsuit filled for this. He is right!! Here is the link! http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/08/10/Ford.pdf
    We are now having to tow it to the local guy to have it fixed, and Ford is charging us $200 because they spent 2 hours looking at it. They didn't even try to match the local guys fees to keep the business. Maybe it is because they know about the lawsuit and really aren't saying much at all!! I should also mention, the family friend who helped me push my car through traffic and waited with me for the tow truck.. the same thing happened to his sister a week earlier. He said it would be about $1500 to fix if it was the same thing!! I am going to forward the same information to them, maybe they can get their money back too!!

It sounds like most of us were fortunate enough to not get hit by oncoming traffic!! We are supposed to go on vacation in 5 days, driving this vehicle!! This is setting us back quite a bit as you all know!!"
  • tervmomtervmom Posts: 12
    It's just frustrating to see the lawsuit end at the 2005 model when my 2006 Freestar did exactly the same thing with about the same mileage of the original claimant.
  • bambam12bambam12 Posts: 1
    My 2006 freestar broke down June 2. Took it to the dealership and they checked it out. After six days they called to "regretfully" tell me the radiator line running through the transmission caused the problem. Now the radiator also needs to be replaced and the warranty will not cover the expenses because the radiator caused the problem. Any feedback on these issues is greatly appreciated.