Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Thank you for filing the reports. Each report is CRITICAL to the cause. Think of our cause as a brick wall that we are trying to build and each report as a brick in that wall. The higher and wider our wall becomes, the harder it is to ignore.

Keep us posted on your repairs.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • well about got my 04 fixed most of these probl;ems sound like mine it was the torque converter. it stripped out the pump splines and after talking to a local transmission guy he said it wont burn the tranny up so everyone be sure to ask what exactly was wrong dont let someone charge you so much for just a converter. i got an aftermarket one my guy says he has not seen any com back. total cost on mine is under $400 cause i pulled it and replaced myself but ford wants that for just the converter.
  • Got my 2006 Ford Freestar out of the transmission shop today, the total damage was $2013, plus taxes. Good thing I'm rich, or else I'd be broke! (can you smell the sarcasm?)

Thanks to the Ford Motor Company, I am broke. I had to take out savings to pay for this, and since I still owe more money than it's worth, I had to pay for it - I didn't have a choice. Normally it wouldn't bother me, but this is obviously a known (and ignored) issue.

I will NEVER buy another Ford vehicle, EVER!

As a side note, I found out that FORD is actually an acronym. Found On Road Dead. LOL
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    There is a facebook group - Ford Sucks. They have the Ford emblem on the page and below it the statement - Well.....At least they circled the problem....

Adrian Jara posted a poem, "Go to ford, buy the best, drive a mile, then walk the rest!"

FORD spelled in reverse-Driver returns on foot

I am sure that we all can come up with some other select word that we use when we speak of Ford.
  • I passed this truck on the interstate and it said they manufacture torque converters and transmissions, so I called them….they said they make harden turbine blades in the torque converter and also harden spline shaft which comes out of the transmission into the torque converter which I believe are the failures in the Ford design. At least you are getting a different product then Ford is still offering. Company's name is ETX Inc Dacco Inc, DACCO's International Headquarters is located in Cookeville, Tennessee

http://www.daccoatparts.com/customer/index.html
  • Our story is exactly the same as the others, luckily I was not on the road. No notice, no advance warning, Started the car in the driveway and the car started with no problem but no gears. This happened about 10 months ago. I found it hard to believe that transmissions would just die like that they usually start slipping, etc. ahead of dying.

We immedialy went to the web, found this forum and many other postings and were furious. My mechanically inclined husband decided to investigate the PCM based on the posts here. Foud the TSB with detailed instructions. Took it apart and it was full of water. We dried it out with an air compressor and put it back together. The car started and ran like a dream for about two weeks (and several rain storms later) no slipping, etc. It then sputtered and died on the road. We had it towed to the dealer. Same story there acting like they never heard of this .We came prepared with the TSB on the PCM part and insisted they investigate the PCM (if it were tranny, we may not have had it working perfectly after drying the PCM). They said they wouldn't know if the problem was the PCM or the transmission unless they worked on/replaced either. They found it hard to believe the PCM would cause this issue even though the TSB clearly says this affects the transmission. We insisted they try replacing the PCM first (only a couple hundred dollar repair - small compared to a tranny) and we would go from there. They replaced it and performed the TSB procedure and the car ran like a dream and has been for 10 months (through the snow, rain, etc.). There is no guarantee that this will be a long term fix but it has been good so far.

The dealership may not be aware of the impact of the PCM on the transmission or even know to check it, Go prepared to discuss. They may be quick to say transmission when in fact they may not know.

Keeping my fingers crossed :).
  • My '04 Freestar had the same problem. In December I broke down on the highway at 1:30 A.M. and had to tow it to dealer to the sum of $160.00.
    The next day I was told that the transmission converter pump shaft was damaged and would be about $2500.00 to repair, but he suggested if I was keeping the car a rebuilt trans was a better choice because of the 36 mo./100,000 mi warranty, After looking into any possible Ford warranty coverage I learned that the '04 models were only covered by a 3 year /36.000 mi warranty. ( no additional power train warranty ) My car had 80,000 mi.
    Like others have posted I still owed 2 payments on a car that was worthless unless I fixed it!I dont know how a finance company can lend money on a car that wont last the term of the loan.

I then tried to find some one at Ford to listen to my online complaint, thats when I stumbled on this forum and all of you fellow screweeez!

I am sending a letter to Ford and to the NHTSA. I dont know how much good it will do , but like a previous post said its just another brick in the wall....

Keep you posted.
  • "ENGINE/TRANSMISSION DRIVEABILITY ISSUES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN Reference Number(s): 06-14-10, Date of Issue: July 24, 2006 Superceded Bulletin(s): 05-23-7, Date of Issue: November 28, 2005 Related Ref Number(s): 05-23-7, 06-14-10 ARTICLE BEGINNING ISSUE Some 1999-2003 Windstar and 2004-2007 Freestar / Monterey vehicles built prior to 6/22/2006 may exhibit engine / transmission driveability issues due to water entering the powertrain control module (PCM) or transaxle vent. Symptoms may include various diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), harsh or delayed transmission shifts / engagements, no reverse engagement, engine overheat, engine lean condition causing a misfire (possibly leading to melted electrodes on the spark plugs), and rough idle. The water leakage may be due to the PCM connector cover not seating completely and water leaking down from the cowl panel grille (cowl top vent panel) area. ACTION During normal diagnostic and repair procedures, inspect for evidence of water damage at the PCM, PCM connector, and/or transaxle. If present, inspect the sealing area of the PCM cover, seal the water leak path in the cowl panel grill area, and service the PCM as needed per the following Service Procedure. SERVICE PROCEDURE Disconnect the PCM connector. Remove the PCM cover from the studs in the bulkhead. ( Fig. 1 ) Fig. 1: PCM Connector Inspect the body sealant on the bulkhead to ensure it is not protruding out causing the cover not to seal properly in that area. ( Fig. 2 ) If sealant is interfering with the PCM cover, remove excess with a sharp tool. Reinstall the PCM cover ensuring the cover seals and is flush with the bulkhead. Fig. 2: Body Sealant On Bulkhead 1. Remove the wiper pivot arm. ( Fig. 3 ) a. Release pivot arm nut cover. b. Remove the pivot arm nut. FORD: 1999-2003 Windstar; 2004-2007 Freestar MERCURY: 2004-2007 Monterey NOTE: This article supersedes TSB 05-23-7 to update the Service Procedure and model years. Page 1 of 4 ENGINE/TRANSMISSION DRIVEABILITY ISSUES -2004 Mercury Monterey 8/3/2008 "
  • Got my van back with a new transmission on Wednesday. Total cost was $3300 and change. They also found broken studs for the exhaust...Which they convienently fix and charged me for. I've also started having problems with the automatic locks and only the driver side sliding door not unlocking and the control panel in the ceiling over the middle seat will not stay up in the ceiling and is now hanging. I think that happened when the dealer had to replace the blower motor for the back heat/ac back in June 2009. What next!
    den2pack495,

Please file an online complaint w/ NHTSA and also the Center for Auto Safety. We need as many bricks as possible in our wall. Good luck and stay safe!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • I too have had the blower replaced in my van for heating/AC. And too many electrical problems to list here. What a piece of junk, to say it politely!
    I would bet that some of the electrical problems could be related to the PCM since it is the control center. Because of a design defect, water on the sensors can create many issues.
    Several sites that I have posted about have since disappeared. Anyone care to venture a reason why? Diesel Dave had posted the entire TSB for the "Engine/Transmission Driveability Issue" - gone. The Flickr site (http://www.flickr.com/photos/iarpca/2809441868/ ) which hosted photos of a PCM and repairs - gone.

I do not believe that this is all by chance.

NHTSA has the entire TSB so if you need it, you can still find it there, but the other site - well .....
  • A year ago this past Nov. our tranny went out...no warning so ever. Mechanic said was the torq convertor. And FORD had made the tranny too small for the engine. And that the tranny will go out again. So, we own junk & a safety hazard...and FORD SIMPLY DOESN'T GIVE A CRAP!!!!!!! OR anyone else. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Ford may not give a crap, but we all share the problem in some form or another. Most of us on this forum all care because we have this issue in common. We are a large group of people and if we work together can accomplish a lot together.

United we could be a very loud voice that other would hear even FORD! I have not given up. Together, we could make Ford give a crap because we do matter, our families matter, our lives do matter!

If your cause is just and right, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP.
    Amen, Nadine. I have been at this for over 2 years now and I will NEVER give up. There is a movie that came out not long ago about the man who invented the technology for intermittent wipers. Long story short, Ford stole it and he spent the rest of his life fighting the good fight. With that story, the Pinto, and now this, Ford seems hell bent on cementing their image as a corporation that puts money over people, families, and integrity. What a shame. I understand that it is a business but I draw the line when lives are at stake. This story could have such a good ending but, sadly, based on history, it likely won't without one hell of a fight. I am in it for the long haul. I know you and the others are too. Together, we WILL make a difference.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    Since this TSB in the public domain, I can post it for those interested in learning about the PCM. TSB 06-14-10

">Freestar/Monterey Power Steering Line Inspection

Certain 2004 Model Year Freestar and Monterey Vehicles-Front Wheel Hub and Rotor Replacement Certain 2004 Model Year Freestar and Monterey Vehicles-Front Wheel Hub and Rotor Replacement
  • aggiemeaggieme Posts: 10
    Now Toyota has recalled another 4 million vehicles for an accelartor that sticks in the engaged position......why can't Ford admit to their design problems and do the same??? I already know the answer....a transmission upgrade versus an accelrator updgrade is quite a difference in $$$$$.

Just frustrating Toyota gets it..... :mad:
  • Think twice about Toyota getting it, I have a brand new 2009 Camry, and the seat is falling apart and they won't fix it under warranty....
    If there had not been the four deaths in California, this would not be a story or a recall.

First of the year, the Freestar had it's first accident because of these problems. Four car accident in which three people were injured - thankfully not seriously. Ford may be starting to listen now, but they really do not care about the people in these vehicle.

Bottom line is the $$$$$$.