Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• There is a lot of sensitivity with recalls (Toyota) in congress right now and the spot light is on the NHTSA, so now is the time to write your congress man/woman via internet or mail make sure you ask for a response from your congress man/woman, not one of their support staff even a phone call might work, just google their name. Tell them that they a being put on report and they will have blood on their hands if they don't do anything. This is a "family" vechile not a sports car....and people have already been injured and luckily no family has been killed.....we need you to push this issue to a head now, its time to pile on!
  • Tell them that they are being put on report and they will have blood on their hands if they don't do anything.
  • YOU CAN ADD MY FAMILY TO THE LIST!! Driving my kids to school in our 2005 Freestar, going uphill and no forward drive. I pulled over to the side of the road and tried every gear, nothing engaged. No check engine light or anything. I called the local shop where my vehicles are maintained and they towed it in and inspected it, needs a new transmission or rebuild. The van has 63K miles on it! I filed the complaint with NHTSA and called Ford. I explained that I am a loyal Ford owner and currently own SIX Fords, (we have 10 kids). They said there is nothing they can do! I was just seeking some help with the $2500 repair bill, they are willing to lose a loyal customer like myself and not admit that there are serious issues with this van. I will be selling my Fords and will never buy another! Unfortunately, I will have to fix my SLAVE-star to trade it in. :sick:
  • YOU CAN ADD MY FAMILY TO THE LIST!! Driving my kids to school in our 2005 Freestar, going uphill and no forward drive. I pulled over to the side of the road and tried every gear, nothing engaged. No check engine light or anything. I called the local shop where my vehicles are maintained and they towed it in and inspected it, needs a new transmission or rebuild. The van has 63K miles on it! I filed the complaint with NHTSA and called Ford. I explained that I am a loyal Ford owner and currently own SIX Fords, (we have 10 kids). They said there is nothing they can do! I was just seeking some help with the $2500 repair bill, they are willing to lose a loyal customer like myself and not admit that there are serious issues with this van. I will be selling my Fords and will never buy another! Unfortunately, I will have to fix my SLAVE-star to trade it in. :sick:
  • Today I officially filed my complaint on the NHTSA/ODI website. We all need to DO THIS NOW and KEEP THE PRESSURE ON FORD MOTOR COMPANY TO DO A RECALL! More later!
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    Searching the website for NHTSA, as of today there are 461 complaints on the 2004 Model, 247 complaints on the 2005 Model, 42 complaints on the 2006 Model, and 4 complaints on the 2007 Model.

Please do file a complaint with The Center for Auto Safety. They ask if you want to be a part of a class action suit. Make it easier for the attorneys to find you!!!
  • My husband and I purchases a 2005 Ford Freestar eight months ago and have had nothing but problems since the getgo. It's been in the shop five times from water leaking into the spark plugs. No matter what they do, they can't seem to stop it. It will be driving just fine and the engine will cut off out of the blue. This thing is a total lemon. We also had the back latch break within the first frew months of owning it. I'm so fed up with it and the money it has cost us. Unfortunately it is our only vehicle. We've had to pay for a rental car all week while the transmission people have been looking it over. They said there was nothing wrong with the transmission, it just needs a new computer box because of the water damage. We are going to try to trade it for something else, but we will see what happens. Wish us luck. :lemon:
  • Today, per suggestion from a previous post I filed a complaint with The Center for Auto Safety concerning the failure of the transmission while enroute home on the interstate (alone and miles and miles from home). If there is something else I need to do please let me know. Thank you.
  • The NHTSA as well as Ford is well aware of the problems with the transmissions on the make and model vehicle as well as the F-150 pick-up trucks. According to several sources, the same transmission that is used in the Ford taurus was used in these two vehicles. The Taurus weighs approximately 2,000 pounds less than the Freestar or the F-150. It is widely considered that the transmission is too small to adequately last for an acceptable period of time without failing. Ford has also used its warranty limits for getting out of paying for repairs; no fluid changes every 30,000 miles or the transmission fails after the mileage limit expires. What a coincidence that in many cases most failures are right after the warranty expires. Unfortunately, and maybe because the government now has a vested interest in the motor industry, the NHSTB fails to recognize this common problem as a defect. There have been thousands of complaints lodged, all with basically the same reply; they feel there is not sufficient evidence at this time to force a recall. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    While the Freestar and Taurus used the same transmission (or transmission family), the F-150 does not. The Freestar and Taurus transmission is only for front wheel drive vehicles. The F-150 transmission is a rear wheel drive transmission that is common between the 4.2L V-6, 4.6L and 5.4L V-8s. While the base F-150 had the same 4.2L V-6 as the Freestar, they did not share transmissions.
  • That is precisely why we have to keep the pressure up on Ford and NHTSA. We also need to piggyback off of the Toyota situation. Say what you want about Toyota, however they got here, they are stepping up to the plate. Ford, in stark contrast, continues to thumb it's nose at us and NHTSA. It is up to us to hold both Ford and NHTSA's feet to the fire until we get action. NHTSA works for US, not Ford. The disgusting thing is that Ford is acting very self righteous right now, at Toyota's expense, while they themselves are guilty of concealing a defect that could cause a fatality. Where is the media on this one?
  • I say we go really, really, really public with this - notify local, state and national media! Any thoughts on this suggestion?
  • Last evening, Feb 16th, my 2005 Ford Freestat also lost all motive power. Fortunately I lost power turning onto a major street that had a wide centre median where I was able to stop and await a tow. I have the van at a local Ford dealership and am waiting on the unhappy word as to the cost to repair. This was an abrupt loss of power with no prior problems, as reported elsewhere in these postings. Can anyone advise if there is a procedure to report to NHSTA for vehicles located in Canada or if there is another reporting proceudre that should be followed.
  • I'm sure Canada has their own government transportation safety agency in Ottawa ....remember, if you get it fixed, make sure they use aftermarket harden steel for the spline shaft and torque converter. Additionally for people who haven't had this problem occur yet, you can save some money by replacing the torque converter and splne shaft and this should keep you from having to replace the whole transmission since the transmission wouldn't be affected by foreign material e.g. steel pieces entering the transmission housing from the failure of the spline shaft and torque converter ...
  • This is from Congressman's Darrell Issa website serving California's 49th district “As Congress continues to investigate and evaluate how both industry and regulators have responded to consumer concerns related to vehicle malfunctions, I want to get a firsthand account of how local dealerships are responding to the growing amount of consumers who have questions about the safety of their vehicles,” Issa said. “Whether it is a microprocessor engineer or the top executive, it is essential that we pursue every available information resource so we can be better informed heading into next week’s hearing. I want a clear picture about what is being done to ensure the safety of not just Toyota owners, but of every driver of any vehicle in America.”
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    Thank you Congressman Darrell!
  • I am sorry for your Fallstar. If I were you I would trade that vehicle away. I'd just traded mine last week, Yes! I've lost money but at least I don't have to worry again. This might help you to report this problem here in Canada.

God Bless your Family!

Here's the email response to my letter to Transport Canada:

Thank you for your inquiry to Transport Canada:
    Transport Canada is aware of the transmission problems with the 2004-2005 Ford Freestar. In order for us to proceed, we require additional information. We request that you complete our on-line complaint form. Please include your vehicle's seventeen digit vehicle identification number(VIN), current kilometerage, a narrative of the incident or problem, along with all other pertinent and contact information.

Please visit our webpage at:
    https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDpp?Index
    We provide the following additional information and explanation:
    Transport Canada administers the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. This act provides that if a vehicle manufacturer becomes aware of a defect that may affect the safe operation of a motor vehicle, they are required by this Act and Canadian law to notify the Minister of Transport, and the owners of the affected vehicles that a Safety-Related Defect exists. The defect must occur without prior warning to the vehicle operator, and affect a certain identifiable group or class of vehicles.

Transport Canada's mandate does not permit us to negotiate with a vehicle manufacturer on behalf of individual consumers with respect to any warranty and financial concerns and /or disputes. This is the responsibility of provincial consumer agencies, organizations and /or groups, or the courts.

Yours truly,
    Recall and Defects | Rappel et Défauts
    613) 993 9851 - (800) 333-0510
    TTY / ATS (613) 990-4500
    facsimile / télécopieur (613) 991-5802
    Transport Canada | Transports Canada, ASFAD
    2780 Chemin Sheffield Road, Ottawa ON K1B 3V9
    Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada
  • We to had the third ford van die from a transmission that was not assembled correct at the manufacture no lazor weld on the planatery gears and it prematurely wore and the metal filings destroyed the transmission
  • How many miles did you have when transmission went out? What year Freestar?
  • olangolang Posts: 5
    Mine is a 2005 Freestar. It was around 119,000 I am thinking. But, I don't have the paperwork with me at this time.

I also just had to replace the Universal in the steering. I was told by one shop that it was either Power steering pump or the rack and pinion. I then took it to another shop that wanted to get into it before they said it was that. But, they stated it wasn't the pump before getting into it.

I do drive mine alot. However, I think the transmission problem is not from driving it alot.