Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• iferifer Posts: 11
    Does anyone have the part number for the PCM? I've been looking to order online but need the part number to be sure I order the correct one. I DO NOT want to call the local dealship to help and they do not have a good reputation here. :(
  • jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Unfortunately, this has been Ford's response from the beginning and I have been at this since November, 2007 when our transmission went at 45K miles on our 2004 Freestar, leaving my wife and kids stranded in the middle of an intersection during rush hour traffic. They could have been killed. Ford does not care about its customers, end of story. I had been a loyal Ford customer for 25 years. The only chance we have to get anything done is either through legal pressure, public scrutiny, private sector organizations like the Center for Auto Safety or a combination of all three. NHTSA has pretty much been proven to be a lapdog for the industry rather a watchdog although, they are conducting an investigation. Given the backdrop of the Toyota debacle, I actually think we might have a chance that NHTSA will hold Ford accountable. Imagine if they give Ford a pass and the issue comes to light on a national scale when, inevitably, somebody gets killed as a result of this defect. (I wouldn't be at all surprised if this has already happened and has either been covered up or not properly attributed to this defect.)

In the meantime, keep up the pressure. Contact all of your representatives at all levels of government, your local media outlets, your local attorney general, etc.,.
    Most importantly, tell everyone you know that drives a Freestar to beware of the danger. You just might save their life.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • drea3005drea3005 Posts: 9
    Thank you all for posting. It is from this website that I found out that I am not alone. I was travelling 45mph on the highway when my van dropped to 20mph and
    would not accelerate. I immediately put on my hazzard lights so that I would not
    get rear ended and pulled right into a driveway. At that point it would not move anymore. I had to have it towed home (which was 30 miles away). I had it taken to a shop that belongs to a friend. He checked the PCM and it showed no signs
    of being damp. He could not figure it out. So I had it towed to the local Ford dealer. By the end of the day -I was told it was the transmission. We have had transmissions go out before on other vehicles and we had warnings -so we were able to be ready. We had no signs of a transmission going out with this vehicle. Nothing!! I just thank God that we were not hurt. By the way a new transmission will cost me $3100 -due by Friday/April 2nd. I have e-mailed Ford, NHTSA, and CBS-Investigator Dept. I will send out a letter today to Mr. McHenry. All in an effort to avoid a death. I hope someone will listen.
  • I have an 05 Freestar, last year it stranded me. I had it towed to Ford garage, the linkage was bound up. Then it would not go into reverse. The transmission was full of water and was rusty. They blamed it on road conditions, my insurance paid to have it repaired. Two days ago I took it in because the tranny was slipping. The brain was full of water. Get this, it has been out of warranty for some time now, but they are telling me that it is still under warranty and they fixed it for free. I know they lied to me. What is causing the tranny and the brain to get full of water? I have not driven through flood water at all, I live in Tillamook Oregon. I am thinking this van should have been recalled. Can anyone email me with phone numbers to call and complain? linnettegallagher1@embarqmail.com Thanks, I dont know when I can check back on this forum. Linnette Gallagher
  • Go to the website of nhtsa.gov or nhtsa.org and also car safety. I JUST got my frestar back today, THREE weeks in the garage because of the way it needs to be taken off the frame and this removed and that removed and then put all back together. BLAH BLAH BLAH. The mehcanic was great, but FORD WAS NOT. Also control arms had to be relplaced. Please know also that I put in a heavier duty gear that usually BREAKS because it was CHEAPLY made. (Emphasis is if FORD happens to read these posts.) IF you take it to a tranny shop or a dealer shop beware --they WILL likely schiester (spelling?) you. Don't give up. Also, on both the websites say YES to class action suit and SAVE ALL your receipts from ANY and ALL work & repairs done to your car, just in case. I hope the best for you.
    Make sure you get your seals checked.
  • The same is happening with my 2005 Ford Freestar, bought it 7 months ago with 38,000 miles and thought I was getting a great deal...its was driving normally and then would not move....No lights or Warning at all!!! I am willing at this point just to pay and fix it...BUT...has anyone fixed it and then been good for a good number of years?? I mean, I don't want to spend $1,000 - $3,000 and then still have the same problem, but my wife needs this car to get around with the kids and I can't afford to go get another car right now.
  • anabelanabel Posts: 21
    Just wanted to tell you about our experience. I am also a mother of 3 little ones and this vehicle was very necessary for my getting around with them safely. We broke down the first time February of 2009, and then 5 months later on July 4th broke down again with the same problem. Our transmission was defective and there was no resolution to making it where it would not break down again. AAmco could not promise me anything. So we had to get rid of it. My husband lost his job in June of that same year during those break downs and just got back to work 3 weeks ago, so I understand the being able to afford getting a new vehicle. But because we have been just waiting for the next breakdown, and we couldn't trust it going anywhere anymore, the worry just wasn't worth it. We had to down grade to something we new would not breakdown like that. Good luck and hopefully you can make the right decision for your family. We simply couldn't wait for justice to be done with Ford. Our families safety depended on us moving on.
  • sjtdadsjtdad Posts: 11
    We bought our '05 Freestar in January '06 with only 4700 miles on it and got an unbelievable deal. Last December, with 52,000 miles on it, it just wouldn't move one day after we came out of church. No warning, nothing. We finally got it to budge in a lower gear enough to get it 3 miles to our Ford dealer. They had always treated us well doing warranty work even though we hadn't bought the van there. It cost about $3400 for a rebuilt Ford transmission unit that carries a 100,000 mile warranty. I figured it would be better to just replace the thing than repair it and take a chance. We've put 5,000 miles on it in 3+ months and it is doing fine so far. We were like you--we desperately needed this van for 3 kids and couldn't afford another van or SUV--and we knew the Freestar had no trade-in value as it sat, so we had to bite the bullet and fix it. Maybe after we get some of our investment back we'll look at selling/trading it, but so far it's doing fine. Otherwise, I still like this van a lot. Good size, drives great, good engine. I've driven Fords for 30+ years and this is the first failure I've had, so I can't get too upset I figure.
  • steph_mcsteph_mc Posts: 1
    I want this taken care of..... I am udderly pissed off about this. My 2005 freestar quit on me 2 days ago...quote $1000-$1600, after diagnosis $3000-$3300...... WHAT THE HECK FORD!!!! With all of these complaints seriously you want someone to get killed before anything is done....I am sure that this has caused some accidents. I was on the e-way when mine just quit!!!! I am outraged!!!!! I have owned nothing but fords my whole life, my father worked for them and is retired from there. Come on really I will never by a ford again unless this gets paid for!!!!! 5 years old and 80,000 should not have happened!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • shocked1shocked1 Posts: 85
    GOOD LUCK STEPH.... BEEN GOING ON 2 YRS. SINCE MY TRANNY WENT OUT. FORD, NASH, OR OBAMA CARES! HUBBY'S 71, STILL WORKS, ONLY CAR WE'LL HAVE SOON. TIME FOR TRANNY TO QUIT AGAIN.

AGAIN, GOOD LUCK..WE'RE STUCK WITH FORD'S TRASH....UNLIKE TOYOTA...
    Steph,

Welcome to our nightmare. First, thank God no one got hurt when your transmission failed. Second, PLEASE file a complaint with NHTSA and also the Center for Auto Safety via their websites. NHTSA is the goverment agency that is tasked with protecting us, the consumer, from defects such as the defect in the Freestar transmission. They are currently investigating the situation and it is CRUCIAL that they be notified of each and every failure. This will help them see that this is not an isolated or even a contained problem and therefor, requires immediate action on their part such as a recall. I have been fighting this battle for over 2 years now and we are finally getting some results. Please stay engaged in this forum and this issue. Also, contact every elected representative that you can, at every level of goverment, and also your state's Attorney General and make them aware of this issue. Further, contact all of your local media outlets, TV and newspaper, and let them know as well. Finally, tell everyone you know or meet that drives a Freestar to be aware of this problem. You just might save their life.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • kfrw0zkfrw0z Posts: 1
    My wife's van (2004 Ford Freestar) has the same problem. She drove it the night before, then got in it the next morning and it wouldn't move. We are trying to find a used one but after seeing all these posts, I don't know what we will do. It only has 67,000 miles so, it should have been good to go for another 67,000 in my opinion. :sick: :sick: :sick:
    We are up to nearly 1200 posts on this forum alone and hundreds of complaints to NHTSA and the Center for Auto Safety yet Ford still refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem, falsely claims that the complaints are focused primarily on the cost of the repairs and not the safety aspect, and blames the customer for somehow causing the failures which, based on what I have learned from an industry expert, are clearly due to a defect.

Maybe when NHTSA is done trying to put Toyota out of business because they are a foreign manufacturer and compete w/ GM which is now owned by US, the taxpayers, they will hold Ford accountable for this debacle.

In the meanwhile, we can only hope that no one is killed as a result of this defect. (It is my personal belief that there has/have already been a fatality/fatalities as a result of this defect however; the incidents either have not been properly attributed to this failure or there has been some sort of deal worked out to protect Ford.)

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • misty10misty10 Posts: 23
    Well, my 2004 Freestar torque converter just went AGAIN! We had it replaced at 79,000 miles and now tonight driving my daughter home from college it went again at 130,000miles. We had it towed home and not sure of what to do with it. Ford just can't get away with this. There was no warning....just like before. Why can't something be done about this!
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    edited April 2010
    Nothing will be done because the system is corrupt. Rotten to the core.

I learned that NHTSA does not have the engineers to do the research so they are dependent on the car manufactures to figure out the problem. Then, many of the NHTSA people will work for the vehicle manufactures.

Sorry to say this, but I feel that nobody really cares about the hard working people of this country except to collect their tax money and give it to the CEOs who run this country.

They all need a Scrooge moment!
  • jrodimonjrodimon Posts: 6
    I just sent the following email to both

Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine, I hope one of the two will help us out.

Email below:

I would love to see someone ask Ford questions about the Ford Freestar Transmission Problems. There are hundreds of complaints to the NHTSA and thousands of post at Edmunds.com about transmissions that fail without notice. This is a link to my post on Edmunds http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fb94a/999#MSG999

I have lauched a formal complaint with the NHTSA and spent thousands on a new transmission that will also fail due to the defect.

I am not sure what else to do but there are thousands of hard working Amercians having to pay money they don't have to fix cars that the manufacturer denies there is a problem with.

I had to take a loan from my retirement account to fix my car.

Thank you
  • gama2gama2 Posts: 1
    My 2004 Mercury Monterey Trans ( I believe identical to Ford Freestar) went down in highway last week @67K. Without any warning (alarm or light) lost power. I was driving in FL turnpike in heavy traffic with my whole family w/ kids, thank! God, we escaped without any major accident. I was immediately pulled into a roadside without getting rear ended. I tried but didn't able to put to any gear, heard only bird chirping sound from the engine. Contacted my mechanic and he told trans pump may had blown up. After stranded for more than 3 hours, I had it towed to my mechanic almost 73miles and had to pay $300 towing fee out of my pocket. Van is in well maintained condition so decided to replace w/ factory built one for $3100 (w/ 3yr and 100,000 waranty). Mercury dealer quoted $3500-$4000. Ford /Mercury should recall these vehicles to fix this transmission failure problem and not to put Ford customer in extreme danger. I already put a complain in NHTSA website.
    Outstanding. Good work. This is exactly the kind of thing we all need to be doing to keep the momentum going and ratchet up the pressure on Ford and NHTSA.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    You are correct. The Monteray and the Freestar are one and the same. Thank God no one was hurt or killed. It is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you for posting your complaint with NHTSA. Please also consider the Center for Auto Safety. They are very credible and influential both in the industry and also with NHTSA.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • grube47grube47 Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Monterey that I already had the transmission rebuilt for the problem everyone else here is complaining about. Now today the vehicle started bucking while driving at a constant speed down the road, also feels like shifting is rough. Any ideas is it the transmission again? Thanks for any help.