Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• bonnie30bonnie30 Posts: 3
    far as i no i would run from it it will give u nothing but headachei had my freestar less then 2 years it been n the shop more then my driveway i had everything completely tune up oil change every 3000 keep up with everything i have put more money and this dam vehicle and it still not running right now we going to put 2 new cv shaft to see if it is causing the shaking.. i just talk to my sister-n-law the other day and she just got town and chreler and she said she had nothing wrong with it i was thinking about getting rid of this and getting another model good luck if u consider buying it.. please keep n touch and let me no how it run if u consider buying it
  • nadinebnadineb Posts: 190
    If you are looking for advise on whether to purchase this van, my advice would be to totally avoid this vehicle. I know that my vehicle would have gotten me or someone in my family killed. Any vehicle that preforms in this matter could be potentially deadly. If you have a family, I would not recommend this vehicle. Think about being rear ended in the vehicle, and the harm that it could do to those you love.

Jim has been attempting to fix a wrong for years because he knows and I believe has seen a number of auto accidents and the damage they leave behind. I personally can not comprehend this outrageous, neglectful, criminal, behavior on the part of Ford Motor Company or NHTSA. Is the fox (Ford Motor Company) watching the automotive henhouse (NHTSA)?
  • shocked1shocked1 Posts: 85
    NO, I will NEVER own another FORD!!!!!!!!!! Simply cause they DON'T STAND BEHIND THEIR JUNK!!!!!! The 2004 FREESTAR VAN is nothing but a death trap And, once you buy one you're stuck with it for life.. NHTSA, POLITICS, NO ONE cares. Or they would force FORD to recall their trash!!!!!!!!!! Ive replaced 1 tranny, and will go out again, & I have the brake's problem also.But, as I said, who cares?
    FORD MOTOR CO. SUKS!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Sorry for the delayed response. To my knowledge, the affected model years are, at least, 2004-2006. This vehicle was marketed as the Windstar prior to 2004 and was last manufactured and sold as a 2007. Additionally, I do beieve that some 2007's are already experiencing the same defect. (Plesae review the previous 1000 or so posts on this forum to verify this, however.

The flyers are an excellent idea. Any way we can get the word out to potential victims of this defect. Keep spreading the word and stay safe!

Jim Genovese
    Anapolis, MD
  • ehwilliehwilli Posts: 3
    Hi folks,

Sorry for the long post. I'm a long-time lurker and want to share my story before I unsubscribe from this thread. I've followed this discussion for a long time and prayed on many occasions that my 04 Monterey w/73K miles would not put my family at risk. Then on a 3 hour drive to the beach 2 weeks ago my RPMs shot up, van lost forward momentum and white steam was everywhere. The transmission warning light came on and I just knew we had lost our transmission.

As we sat on the side of the road and discussed our options, we checked the GPS to find the closest exit and mechanic. It was 6 miles away so we decided to start the van and see if we could get it that far. We prayed that we could at least get our children safely off the side of the highway and that God would provide a way for us to continue our vacation.

The van started up fine and there were no warning lights or anything. I put the van into drive, slowly stepped on the accelerator....and we started moving. My wife and I prayed (we are a Christian family) silently for the 6 miles it took to get to the exit. The transmission was slipping just a bit but otherwise everything seemed ok. Rather than stop we thought we'd see if we could get to the next town. Although the tranny clearly had issues and was slipping and jerking now and again we made it another 80 miles to the beach. As we drove we talked about how amazing God is that he can fix transmissions, that there is no way we should be moving down the road!

While at the beach I took the van to an Aamco and the only problem they could find was a blown pan gasket. They did say the new fluid went in very slowly and were not sure why and to keep an eye on it. So we spent $150 on a fluid, filter and gasket change that needed done soon anyway. As we drove the 200 miles back home we stopped a couple times to let the transmission cool. It was a stressful drive but we made it home.

The local transmission shop took the van for a drive with a inflight recorder hooked up and they said the torque converter was not locking up. They also said the fluid going in slowly was due to the transmission running hot and soot clogging up the vent. The estimate for repairs was around $1000 but they weren't sure what they'd find once they were inside. They could not take our van until the following week so we drove home in hopes it would last that long.

We decided that since the van is in running condition we should try to trade it in for the book value minus expected repair costs. We disclosed the transmission issues to the dealer and got offered $5000 for the van, exactly what I had expected. Hard to believe that's all it's worth, but no price can be put on my family's safety. We've prayed with our children giving thanks for how this turned out and that our van will be repaired and not cause trouble for it's future owners.

FYI the new minivan market is small and the options stink. We did not want to buy used because of the prevalent transmission issues with so many vans. The new Sienna has been cheapened and getting less than stellar consumer reviews, the Odyssey is still plagued with tranny issues (and Honda thinks way too much of themselves for me) and the Sedona just wasn't a fit for us. So we are now the owners of 2010 Chrysler Town & Country with a 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty, and as much as I hate extended warranties I might just buy one...still not sure on that.

Sorry for the long story but I felt led to share how God carried us through this journey. I will continue to pray for Freestar and Monterey owners that your families stay safe in these vehicles and that financially you are able to handle whatever problems may come.

God bless,
    Ted
  • bobbijobobbijo Posts: 9
    Prayers got our family to a safe spot in our 2004 Freestar 3 times during a long trip. We were going through some windy, isolated, and unfamiliar areas & had little choice but to pray hard & keep going. (& I should add that each of the 3 unplanned pull overs were in beautiful places that we would have never otherwise noticed & our 3 little boys never even realized anything was wrong--they just thought that Mommy & Daddy were making some cool extra stops!) This trip was before I found out about the PCM issue & we couldn't figure out the problem since the warning lights were not consistent & went away after we took a break. Our torque convertors final breath was in the safest place possible--our driveway. I know that God keeps a hand on so many tiny things that we never even realize & I am glad to know that He kept your family safe too. Now I pray that our rebuilt torque convertor will get us through until the loan is paid for & that Ford & the government work this out before it is too late! I have tried to focus on the blessings that have come out of this mess & not the anger that I have towards the irresponsibility on Ford's part!
  • mel9i6mel9i6 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    While I was driving on the freeway, my freestar all of a sudden lost power and I pulled off to the side and was able to get the power back and get to my destination. Called a lot of places who are insisting on rebuilding the transmission tho I just want them to replace the torque converter. I was coming from out of town, so I ended up taking another vehicle back home, leaving my Ford at my parents... trying to figure out what to do... I had 3 kids in the van and after reading all this stuff that happened to many others, I am infuriated!! the lowest price to fix my van is about 2500! I am filing a complaint as soon as I find out exactly if its the torque or the transmission, but since I am able to drive it after shutting it off, it's obviously not the transmission, in the morning it goes about 10 miles, after that it doesn't go more than 2 feet.
    Mel
  • sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    If the torque converter goes, it won't come back. When it loses power, does it act like the transmission is in neutral (you can rev the engine, but it won't move) or some other symptom? Given your description, it could be transmission related, it might also be related to water in the PCM. That can cause intermittent powertrain problems.
  • fordfan12fordfan12 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Freestar Limited with 74,000 miles and 2 weeks ago it suddenly stopped moving while driving with the engine reving. The van would not move and when put into gear nothing happened. I had the van looked at by a private mechanic who advised it was not the transmission that had failed. The mechanic advised that the torque converter design on the Ford Freestar is flawed causing the spines inside to eventually strip out. The mechanic replaced the torque converter and changed the transmission fluid and filter with a total cost of $560.00. The torque converter was a remanufactured unit that my mechanic said had an improved design better than a unit direct from Ford. With the old torque converter out of my van the mechanic showed me inside of it and I clearly saw the stripped out spines that connected to the oil pump shaft. Before replacing the entire transmission it might be a good idea to check on the possibility of a torque converter failure. My van shifts and operates like new.
  • misty10misty10 Posts: 23
    Hi...Ours is a 2004 too and our torque converter went out at 79,000. It lasted for almost 50,000 then went out again. In fact we just replaced it again just about three wks ago. Good Luck!
    Please report your failure to NHTSA and also to The Center for Auto Safety.This is the same failure we all have experienced althought it appears as though yours may have been less catostrophic. One way or another it is CRITICAL that you report your failure to both NHTSA and The Center for Auto Safety.

Thanks,

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • When are these bozos going to ask for a recall - every day or so there is a new post - just think how many out there who are not reporting. This is absolutely rediculous.
  • shocked1shocked1 Posts: 85
    The "bozos" don't care, that's why no recall. like myself, they know soon we'll have to pass the "death trap" on....or junk it. ( which is what i'll do,junk it) Obama, or Gov. don't care, they can't clean an oil spill. My lemon's been on here 2 yrs. now. all futher it will be noticed. Ford has lost out though.... family & friends NOMORE FORD JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lemon: :lemon: = FORD
  • Hi
    Looks like I've got pretty much the same problem as other people here. I was commuting to work on a busy road when everything cut out. The engine was still running but the power steering and assisted breaks were gone and the accelerator didn't work. I'm a young female driver and I could not stop or steer the vehicle. Lucky for me I had just passed a yellow light and the traffic behind me didn't make it through.
    I'm 600 km from home working a summer job so when I called for a tow I just let them take me to the closest mechanic's place. I have no experience with cars so I pretty much let them do their thing. They first told me it was a cam sensor problem then it changed into the problem of whatever runs the sensors. I believe it's the PCM but I'm not sure and they didn't bother explaining. They told me the fix was at least $1000 and that there was only one such unit available in all of North America and it just happened to be in the city where I'm at. I bullsh*t alarm went off at this point. But I'm a broke student who relies on my vehicle for my job and they've got my van ripped apart in their shop. A shop I can't get to without a vehicle.
    I'm wondering what everyone else paid for their PCM because I'm pretty sure these guys are just messing with me.
  • I paid $1600 for a torque converter (refurbished) - I thought that was a lot of money but I have seen on this forum that some have paid more and some less so I guess my repair cost was fair.
    Remember,
    These are the same BOZOS who knew about Toyota's acceleration issues since at least 2007 but didn't take any action until a high profile fatal crash occurred as a result of the defect. Unfortunately, NHTSA seems to be reactive and not proactive, in spite of overwhelming evidence of a problem, and typically doesn't act until someone gets killed. This is unacceptable and we must keep up the pressure on NHTSA to take action.
    Welcome to America. Home of the Corporate rip off.

You have to call and demand action from Ford. The dealership has to get reimbursed from the manufacture. Ford has secret warranties that is at their digression to reduce that bill. Make sure you tell Ford that you know there is a TSB on this problem. The dealership will still charge something, but fight for your rights! My $1000.00 PCM replacement went to $250.00, but it still did not solve the issues. Make sure that they replace all connections because there may be corrosion.

I would start looking for a replacement vehicle if you can afford to because it may be more cost effective, but more so, you will be a heck of a lot safer.

Good luck.
    https://web2.westlaw.com/expo/linkviewer.wl?RS=WLW6.06&VR=2.0&SV=Split&FN=_top&M- T=Bankruptcy&TF=649&TC=1&RD=AN-ANAUTOLR&standalone=Y

Transmission Torque Converters: WARRANTY, OTHER CLAIMS SURVIVE AGAINST FORD, Daigle v. Ford Motor Co., 29 No. 24 Westlaw Journal Automotive 9, Westlaw Journal Automotive May 25, 2010
    A Minnesota federal judge has allowed class-action, breach-of-warranty and unjust-enrichment claims to move forward against Ford Motor Co. for allegedly designing minivans with faulty transmission torque converters. Plaintiffs Rex Lindsay, James Genovese, Henri Caron, Sylvester Hobbs and Edward Daigle say their 2004-2006 Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey minivans have defective torque converters that cause the vehicles to lose power to the wheels.Their class action alleges six claims against F...
    My new hero. Here's to ya Judge Michael J. Davis!!!!
  • olangolang Posts: 5
    Same here. Here to you JUDE MICHAEL J. DAVIS!!!!!
    About time someone does something on the behalf of us Ford mini van owners.
    It cost us several thousand dollars.