Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• Regarding the Acura comment, Honda and Acura replaced thousands of transmissions and provided free extended warranties when they had a problem from 1999 through 2004. I'm very frustrated with this whole situation as I deliberately did not consider a Honda Odyssey because they "only" extended the transmission warranty to 100K miles and I was concerned with what would happen after that.

PS - I have a 2004 Monterey with 44k and some knocking noises coming from the transmission, but no failure yet. Based on comments in the forum I know it's only a matter of time.
  • I went on the website www.lawyersandsettlements.com and was able to file a complaint against Ford and they gave me a case no and now have to see if a lawyer takes it or not. Please do the same so they see that there are many of us. Ford has got to recall this van....instead of making a fortune off of us in transmission replacements. Again: www.lawyersandsettlements.com
  • On 2/14/08 my 10 year old daughter and I were on I-26 in route (via I-95) to Florida for a school trip when my 2005 Ford Freestar transmission went on us, after only 52,000 miles. We were traveling at 70 mph and I feel fortunate no one was hurt.

As a collective group we need to do something!!... Does anyone here recall the Firestone/Ford fiasco involving the Explorer and thousands of fatalities a decade ago???? This transmission issue is a public hazard.
  • Vicki,
    I cannot speak to the issues of the automatic doors or the possible leak however; with regards to the transmission symptoms your are describing, take your van, or, better yet, have it towed to a reputable transmission shop. Based on EVERYONE's experiences with them, I would not trust a Ford service department to be straightforward with you on anything to do with the transmission. It may cost you some money for the transmission shop to pull the transmission and inspect it, but IT COULD LITERALLY SAVE YOUR LIFE. To me, that is money well spent. Try and get all of this done before you hit 36K miles so you are still under warranty. If the transmission shop discovers debris in the pan and/or a torque converter with stripped splines, have it towed to the Ford dealer and demand that they repair it under your 3 Year/36K mile Bumper to Bumper warranty. If you do all of this and the Ford dealer tells you that you are out of luck because you didn't have the 30K transmission fluid flush and fill, please let me know. I will tell you what to look for from there, both on your transmission and in your owners manual. Also, if it is determined that the transmission/torque converter are damaged and/or need to be replaced or repaired, report it to NHTSA via their website. (Google NHTSA. It will be self explanatory from there.) Unfortunately, NHTSA, an agency of the Federal Govermnent, appears to be in the back pocket of Ford and, thusfar has refused to open an investigation into these failures. However; it is still important to report each and every failure so that when the day comes when someone is seriously injured or killed as a result of this defect, the weasles at NHTSA can't say they didn't know about it ahead of time. Maybe then someone will be held accountable and some heads will roll. I hope that day never comes, but based on the feedback on this website alone, it is statistically inevitable. Also, report your failure to the Center for Auto Safety via their website. When you do, don't forget to check the box indicating that you are interested in being part of a class action. Finally, try and peruse as many of the 220 or so posts in this forum as you can so that you can get fully up to speed on the situation. We have to stick together and spread the word on this issue. We cannot let Ford and NHTSA get away with putting our families in harms way.
    Jim
  • Please, Please see post 218.
    Jim
  • Outstanding idea. Please let us know if you get a response. If you do, I think it would be much more effective for us all to then contact that attorney more directly via their website. That way, he or she will know that we are all part of the same group.
    Jim
  • Lulabelle,
    Thank goodness no one got hurt. Please see post 210 and post 218. Please report this incident to NHTSA and Center for Auto Safety.
    Jim
    Jim
  • well..I finally broke down and sent my Freejunk to the transmission shop. I decided to not use the dealer since all they do is rob you and lie ( Park Ford ) . I had my transmission rebuilt, and the culprit was a defective torque converter. The reason for the rebuild is that all the steel flowing thru the trans. I told him I do not want any Ford replacement parts installed, He installed all the best parts offered on the market. $2200 later Im back on the road, but I intend on dumping this piece of junk as fast as I can. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Did you get it in writing that it was the torque converter and that the torque converter was defective? We all know tha it was but it is better if a qualified mechanic puts it in writing. I'm still working on this on my end. Has anybody heard back from any attorney's? I am working on a loose script for a video to put on Youtube. I think we will be able to get really good exposure this way. Imagine how many people are in the same boat as we are who don't happen to know about this site. I would venture to guess that more people are familiar with Youtube than are with Edmunds. No offense Edmunds, you have a great site. Looking forward to everyone's feedback and ideas.
    Jim
  • Hey everybody, I almost forgot. I want everybody to contact my TV media guy. His name is Barry Simms and the station is WBAL Channel 11 in Baltimore, MD. Needless to say, Edmunds won't let me put a phone number or Email address in this post but his contact information is in the WBAL TV website. Please refer to my name in your Email/phone calls to him/his producers so that they can put it all together. I know it will be helpful to our case for him to hear from all of you. These people do an excellent job once they get ahold of a story. Let's hope they get going on ours.
    Jim Genovese
  • cowboys59cowboys59 Posts: 38
    Hi Everyone,
    I got the news from my mechanic that it was the torque converter. Surprise surprise. He also told me that the problem is that Ford put in an engine that is too big for the transmission and it is wearing it out. The torque converter is apparently the weakest link. I have all of this in writing from an independent mechanic. I am now getting ready to go onto the WBAL website and contact Barry Simms. As always Jim, thanks for getting all of this going. My total repair cost is $3100. I really want to get this back from Ford. It makes me sick that they keep getting away with this.
    Take care,
    Kelly L
  • Hello Jim, Kelly,

I too have written to WBAL, Barry Simms. This is so important to make FOrd responsible. Please everyone write and let's get something going so that no one gets hurt and also so that we can possible get our $$ back. It cost me $3400 for my new trans and I had less than 30,000 mile on my Freestar. This is NOT right that Ford just says sorry, you are out of warranty, I mean come on it has so few miles. Help. Please, everyone write WBAL now! Thanks, Robin
  • jgenovesejgenovese Posts: 220
    Kelly,
    This is exactly the type of information that we need. Excellent work. Please let me know if you hear back from Barry Simms. I really think that, once they hear from enough of us, it will encourage them to get involved with our cause. Everybody else needs to contact him as well. We need to keep the momentum going on this. In the meantime, keep your eyes and ears open for any others with this issue that may not be aware of this site and spread the word!
    Just checking in with everybody. Please let me know if anyone has heard from Barry Simms. I am waiting for a court date for my suit in my local jurisdiction. I would really like to bump this up to a class action. I believe that is the best way to hold Ford accountable for the disaster they have created for so many of us and the fraud that they continue to perpetrate on their customers. In the meantime, keep spreading the word and telling everybody you meet with a Freestar/Monteray about the danger they and their family are in if they have not had their transmission checked out by a qualified mechanic.
    Jim
  • I was just reading some of the messages out here and am amazed. I had no idea so many people had the same problems we've had. The entire power steering system went at 39,000 miles. That should have been our first clue. At 79,000 the transmission went out on the expressway in the left lane with my baby in the car during rush hour. We were lucky to make it to the side of the road. We were told the trans was out and had to be replaced. About $3500 and a month later we had a new trans. Of course we only had it for about a week before the light was on. We had pieces of the trans fixed including the torque converter several times over the next couple months. Then, it went out again and kept going out. Almost 3 months later and many meetings between Ford mechanics and our trans shop - we had another new trans. It's been ok so far since December after 2 1/2 trans. replacements. I would love to know if anyone is having any success with pursuing this - Ford basically washed their hands of us.
    Sharon,
    Welcome to our world! Thank goodness neither you nor your baby were injured. My wife and 5 of my 6 children were in our van when our transmission failed in the middle of an intersection. After being yelled at and threatened by some rude drivers who could not understand why this van was just stopped in the middle of the road, my wife and children had to walk home after some kinder souls stopped to help her and push the van off to the side of the road. The whole thing has been a nightmare. We got off to an especially bad start when our Ford dealer, Koons Ford of Annapolis LIED TO US and said they had never heard of this problem. They then blamed us by claiming the transmission failed because we didn't have the 30K mile flush and fill done on our transmission. (Our manual did not indicate that our transmission model required this service. It named another model transmission that we do not have in our van.) We then contacted Ford's "Customer Relationship Center." What a sham this is! They also LIED TO US and claimed they had never heard of this problem before. All you have to do is a quick internet search as you did to see that they are liars too. To add insult to injury, they helped others in the exact same circumstance with financial assistance but refused to help us. When we asked why, they basically told us that we didn't get to know why. I eventually got my Office of the Attorney General's Office involved and they attempted to mediate the situation. Both my dealer, Koons Ford of Annapolis, and Ford even LIED TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF MARYLAND! IN WRITING! AND I CAN PROVE IT! There seems to be no end to the sheer temerity and gall of these jackals. They sold us a van based on claims that it was, "The safest vehicle in its class." This vehicle almost got my family killed. Sadly, there are tens of thousands of other unsuspecting families out there who are in harms way because Ford is run by a bunch of thieving cowards who lack the decency to stand behind their product and take care of their customers. I have directly purchased 9 new Fords in the last 20 years, 7 of them from Koons Ford of Annapolis. (My dealer, Koons Ford of Annapolis, the owner, Joe Koons Jr. actually, challenged me when I told him this fact.) What kind of businessman tells a customer that they didn't buy their product when there is proof of it in writing? I guess it is obvious why Ford can't compete in the marketplace anymore. They have managed to chase away a previously life-long loyal customer. I will never buy another Ford product or any product that Ford is affiliated with such as Volvo. In fact, I am selling both of the Fords that I purchased new in 2005. I will no longer be a rolling billboard giving Ford free advertising. In fact, I make it a point to tell everyone I know about our experience with Ford, especially people who come to me for advice when purchasing a new vehicle. (Because of my years of experience in the car industry and above average knowledge of the industry, alot of people seek my advice.) We are going to replace our Fords with a Toyota Sienna and a Toyota Tundra. We can't wait to make the switch.

There are a couple of things you can do to help us hold Ford accountable. First, report your failure to NHTSA via their website. These are the people that are supposed to be protecting us from defective and dangerous vehicles. So far however; they are also ignoring the problem. When more people report to them however; they have more incentive to get their heads out of the sand, (or out of Ford's back pocket, I'm not sure which), and force a recall of these dangerous vans. Second, you can SUE FORD in small claims court in your local jurisdiction as I am doing. Third, you can contact Barry Simms at WBAL-Channel 11 News vis the WBAL TV, (Baltimore, MD), website and let him know that you are also a victim of Ford and their defective product. He will know what you are talking about because I have been in direct contact with him on the issue. It is my hope that his team will pick up the story. Fourth, you can report your failure to the CENTER FOR AUTO SAFETY via their website. When you do, be sure to check off the box that says you wish to be part of a class action lawsuit. Fifth, and most importantly because lives are at stake, if you know anybody who drives one of these things, give them a heads up so they can at least have their vehicle checked out by a qualified mechanic. There have already been at least 2 documented accidents involving this vehicle that were directly caused by this problem. Luckily, no one has been seriously injured yet. It is just a matter of time however; before there is a fatal accident involving these vehicles.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and get involved. I and a few others are committed to this cause and, together we can hold Ford accountable.
    Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • Jim-
    Thank you for responding to my posting. I will follow the steps you suggested. I had no luck with Ford as I said before in my posting. A friend of mine used to work for them in New Jersey in the customer complaints area. When I expressed my frustration to her, she explained they classify people who call in. If it is clear you are upset and will most likely not continue to be a Ford customer-they write you off immediately. She said she used to do that job and listening to me she would have automatically classified me this way. Once people are classified like this they essentially get no response whatever from Ford. It sounds like you were probably classified like this as well. I'm glad your family is ok. It is a very scary situation and you are right - eventually there will be a fatality. Anyway-
    Thanks again-
    Sharon
  • msq1224msq1224 Posts: 16
    Sharon, so sorry to "welcome" another member to the club! I won't go into detail on mine (I think my initial post is ~#118), since the story is much like everyone else's. I'm fascinated by your description of how customer relations classifies callers, since I really DID want to continue as a loyal Ford customer, and told them that. If they had offerred 75% or even 50% restitution I probably would have taken it, and probably would have purchased another Ford...seems like they're trying to drive me away!

Jim, in the "never give up" category. In 1997 I replaced the entire engine in my 1995 Neon ($1600). I fought with Chyrsler for a while and eventually gave up. In December 2007 (10 years later), I finally disposed of all my records about that vehicle. In January this year (yes, one month after getting rid of all those records), I received notice that I was going to get a partial settlement from a class action suit on engine repair...all I needed was proof of repair...oh well! I'll never throw out car repair records again.
    Mary Q.
    :cry:
  • Well, I guess I am not alone with the FreeStar thing. I bought the car new, 2004, and without any noise or warning, it coasted to a stop out on the freeway (I-70 in the remote part of Utah) about 1 month ago. Luckily, there was little traffic, so I was able to get off the road over on the shoulder. I called my son in Grand Junction and he said that has access to a tow truck. So he pulled it back to Colorado that night. Next day, I was told by the Ford dealer (Western Slope Ford) that it was the torque converter. Now the bad news: 46,000 miles and out of warranty, and they wouldn't cover a dime. Estimate was $3200. Sooo, I had my son take it to an independent transmission place in Provo, Utah. Total cost, with after-market parts? $1150, with parts and labor. Pays to shop around, but the main thing is that the Ford dealer lied about the frequency of the failures. He (the shop foreman) said this was the first Freestar van that he had ever heard about breaking down (with transmission problems). The transmission shop in Provo, however, has repaired 9 of these cars with the same problme in the last 6 months. I would love to sue Ford, as would all of you out there. Perhaps if we get in touch with Consumer Reports, they may put us in touch with an attorney for a class-action litigation. Sad part is, I like the car, and this is the only trouble I have had.
  • cowboys59cowboys59 Posts: 38
    I finally got my van repaired after three months of hoping Ford would do the right thing and cover it. Of course they didn't and I had to pay. I know what you mean about liking your car. I love my van. But I will never buy another Ford because of the way they have handled this situation. I have been a loyal Ford customer for almost 30 years. That means nothing to them. The Ford Motor Company would rather lose every customer they have than do the right thing and admit they need to cover a repair. Does that sound like good business to anyone? As we mentioned in earlier posts, Acura had a similar problem and took care of it right away. My brother is a loyal Acura owner for life because of that. Oh well, hopefully we can force Ford to finally do the right thing. Until then, let's all keep at them.
    Kelly
  • Our 2005 Ford Freestar's transmission went at 55,000 miles. We bought it for its quality and safety ratings. Our son, Zachary, was born in 2004 and has had 22 hospitalizations to date. We bought our van to give our family a safe and reliable family vehicle to get our son to the hospital on an emergency basis. We have no vehicle right now and have had to borrow my brother's car. We do not have $3,500 to fix our van. We do not have any credit cards or such to throw an emergency repair on. It would be a matter of us coming up with the cash. It is sick to know that Ford is aware of this problem and is doing nothing. I will be contacting both NHTSA and the WBAL newstation. Thanks to all for their hardwork and dedication. We too would like to join any class action suit.
    Sharon,
    Thanks for the post. The information provided by your friend is intriguing and speaks volumes about why Ford is struggling in the marketplace. Apparently, the bottom line is that they obviously think customers are dispensible. I guess that is why Toyota is now #1 in the US. My reaction as a business owner, and I have owned a business, would be to reach out to my unhappy customer and see if the relationship can be salvaged. Knowing that a current customer is a potential repeat customer and a source for referrals, (not to mention that I don't have to spend 1 penny in advertising to reach a current customer), I recognize the value of the current customer relationship. Wasn't this taught in business 101? The executives at Ford need to fire whoever is responsible for this misguided policy or Ford will never recover. In the meantime, keep the faith. Together, we will hold Ford accountable.
    Mary Q,
    2 Things; First, it is amazing that you said that. I actually prefaced my whole conversation with those nitwits by stating that I was a loyal Ford customer and wished to continue to be. I further stated to them that, if the situation was resolved to my satisfaction that, not only would I continue to be a loyalist, but that I would also continue refering everybody I know to Ford. Still, they wrote me off and "drove me away." Now, I intend to be a thorn in their side until they step up and do the right thing. It is a shame too, because I told them all I would settle for 50% of the repair and they would have gotten the work! Second, I feel for you regarding the Neon paperwork. I am happy my wife read your post because she is always on me about keeping meticulous records and keeping them FOREVER. You never know when something is going to become useful again. Stay tuned to this forum. There is more to come.
    Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    Your story is another brick in the wall that will be our lawsuit. It is even more proof that Ford is engaging in CONSUMER FRAUD. I doubt it is a coincidence that every person who has had this problem is LIED TO and told that they are the first by the dealers. I would be willing to bet there is a memo or 2 floating around within the Ford organization instructing the dealers to LIE TO THE CUSTOMERS. It is just a matter of time before some disgruntled, recently laid off employee makes this type of information available to us. This is an intentional act by Ford to mislead its customers. I believe this is a crime. It makes you wonder if Ford is aware of the internet. This scheme sounds like something that a manufacturer would do in the time before the internet when it would have been harder for people to communicate about it. As I have said many times before, it is no wonder Ford can't compete in the marketplace anymore. I can't wait until my case gets in front of a judge. I will have mountains of evidence of this FRAUD that Ford is perpetuating on its customers.
    Kelly,
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I have been buying Fords for over 20 years and my family had been buying Fords for 40 years until this experience. Instead of retaining a customer for life, Ford has not only lost a customer but has also gained an adversary like none thay have had before. It has become my mission in life to keep beating this drum until these vans get recalled. Livers are literally at stake.With regards to Acura, my neighbor relayed the same story to us when she heard about our Freestar. Her daughter's transmission went out in her Acura and they replaced it - no questions asked. That is why Acura has a fiercly loyal customer base and they don't take it for granted like Ford does. I know of many Acura owners beside my neighbor who would never buy anything else.
    Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    We are sorry to hear about your situation. We too could not afford this repair. Ours went out right before Thanksgiving so, needless to say, Christmas was very lean this year. We too bought the Freestar based on Fords marketing it as, "The safest vehicle in its class." What a farse. Now, Ford is not only not stepping up and assisting its customers, but they are also engaging in sytematic, intentional FRAUD by misleading its customers when they get to dealership with this problem. Without exception, in each case, the customer is told that they are the first customer with this problem and that Ford has never heard of it. They even tell you that when you call the Customer Relationship Center, they also LIE and say they have never heard of it. While it is a little easier knowing that we are not alone in this, it is MADDENING that Ford continues to act in this way. It is only a matter of time before there is a fatality as a result of this defect. What is worse is that NHTSA, the federal agency that is supposed to be looking out for us is, apparently in Ford's back pocket becuase, to date, they have refused to even initiate an investigation into this defect. I guess thay don't care if someone gets killed because they probably can't be sued. stay tuned to this forum. There is more to come. And, most importantly, we will all be keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers.
    Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • tbrown61tbrown61 Posts: 9
    Sorry to hear your story too. I also was in the same boat, broke down..with no cash to fix it. yet still making payments for months to see the van sit in my driveway. I finally scraped the $$ up and got it fixed. Its a shame that the dealers lie to all of us. They act like its the first they heard of it, It makes you wanna (shake) the truth out of them. saying nicely. yes I did get in writing that the torque converter was the trouble, he said he never seen one fall apart so bad before. the one thats in it now is a custom rebuild, that he does himself. I sure hope the rest of the van holds up. Its a shame, Im a Ford loyal guy, I have 4 in my driveway. I bought this as well as the rest of you, thinking its a safe decent vehicle. I think the word is gettin out though, I cant sell this piece of crap for anything....guess ill drive it till the next part fails. I will not buy another Ford though, unless its a classic..the new crap is just that Crap!! :lemon:
  • vickekayvickekay Posts: 3
    I have not had a problem with my transmission YET but I have had a few problems and wondered if anyone else has them as well.

First, when I'm driving down the road, the automatic sliding door unlatches and the lights come on and the dash shows the door being adjar. I was told by my service team at the dealership that it was impossible. I have had the problem since 2006 and they just tell me that they can not duplicate the problem, even though I have taken it in and they have seen it happen on 2 occasions! I finally came to the conclusion (at the end of my warranty) that they have been treating me like the "crazy lady". I did take it to another dealership and I hope they fixed it, they did at least treat me with true compassion and seemed very interested in fixing the problem! When I talked to the Ford Rep, it was like talking to a brick wall!!!!!! Pretty much a waste of time.

Second, when I'm driving down the road around 45 mph my van seems to "jerk" for a quick second. It does not happen all the time. Could this be signs of the transmission going bad????
  • Hello all, just wanted to add my story to the board for what it's worth. I'll give the reader's digest version:
    I am an active duty Soldier stationed in Germany. I bought a new 2004 Freestar SEL in July 2004 from a dealer in Mississippi and then shipped it to Germany when I was stationed here. Transmission went out on the German Autobahn in Sep 2007 (34,000 miles). Had it towed to one of the few Ford dealers here in Germany that are authorized to do warranty work on American spec Fords who quoted me a price of 5800 Euros (approx $8000) to replace, since it was out of warranty by 2 months. So far, not much differenent than everyone else's story.
    I decided to give the Ford Customer Relationship Center a call and beg for a little compassion and mercy given the circumstances. After explaining my problem, the rep said since I was located in Germany, they could not help me and said I had to call the CRC in Germany (I knew right away, this was not correct since I knew they would tell me they only service German made Fords, but I called anyway...and got that response). So, after calling the US CRC back and talking to 5 different people (supposed next higher, but most likely the guy/gal in the next cubicle), everyone said they couldn't even take my complaint because I was not in the US.

So, thinking how I was going to have the van taken to the strip yard at this point, the German Ford Dealer service rep suggested I calll a guy he knew at the US Military Car Sales here in Germany to see if he could help. (If you don't know, US Military Car Sales is a program around the world at US bases that allow Service Members to purchase American made cars overseas..usually no sales taxes). Since I didn't buy the van through them, I thought it was a long shot, but didn't have anything to lose, so I did. Less than a minute into the phone call to the rep of hearing the brief explanation of my situation, he said, and I quote, "NO PROBLEM, LET ME MAKE A PHONE CALL TO FORD IN THE STATES AND THEY WILL FIX IT, WITH YOU ONLY PAYING A SMALL DEDUCTIBLE, PROBABLY LESS THAN A $100). Then he took my information, made a call, and within two days, he called me back and said he received an email from Ford with all the information and approval to fix the transmission at cost. That day, Ford had a new transmission already being shipped from the states direct to the dealer and my van was fixed in a day, once the parts arrived. It did cost me a little more than expected....$300. I asked the rep (I don't want to give his name) for a copy of the email, but he told me he was not allowed to give me a copy or the name of the person at Ford he coordinated with, it had to be someone pretty high up (makes you want to go HMMMMMMMMM).

Bottom line, I'm glad I got it fixed, but it was like a bad foreign spy movie with all the secret, back room negotiations and cloak and dagger stuff to get it down. So, instead of Ford just practicing good customer relations and helping me directly, I had to get lucky and stumble on the secret passage to the promised land! It also seems to point to the fact that Ford knows about the problem. The CRC is a flippin Joke, along with Ford in general.....sad to say, I've always been a Ford man, never again.
    Vickekay,
    Nothing surprises me anymore with these cowards at Ford. The story about your door is very sad. I bet they would get right on it if someone fell out and was killed as a result. Oh, wait a minute, this is Ford we are talking about. If that happened, they would find away to blame it on you and bury their collective corrupt heads in the sand even further. What's next? Is the roof going to blow off while we are driving down the road? As for the momentary jerk you are feeling, it sounds exactly like the torque converter getting ready to fail all together. Imagine the splines on the part in your torqueconverter that will fail are like the cogs on a set of gears that are designed to mesh together as the assembly turns. If 1 or 2 of them started to round off, the gears would slip slightly. As time went by, the cogs would wear down even more and the uneveness in the motion caused by the original 1 or 2 would cause the whole assembly to move in a way that would cause the remaning cogs to be ever so slightly mis- aligned. This, in turn, would cause those cogs to wear in a premature and detrimental way. Eventually, enough of or all of the cogs will either break off all together or become so worn and mishapen that they would no longer be able to stay engaged and the whole assembly would cease to operate. I would recommend that you get your van to a reputable shop and have a qualified transmission technician dissassemble it and inspect it. At the end of the day, this willbe costly but it could literally save your life. If your transmission fails on the freeway while a semi is barreling down on you, the possibilities are pretty scary. I think the peace of mind you will get will be worth the cost. Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.
    Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD