Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• bob02hlbob02hl Posts: 3
    First time poster. Proud new driver of an 02 HL (wife's hand-me-down).

I can *almost* get the low-end that I want (mainly from recent Satriani cds) but some of the old lp-ripped stuff really needs some help. So I want to add a Kenwood powered sub to the factory JBL system just to "round out" the bottom end. The sub has both line level and speaker level inputs. (I want to keep the factory HU).

Reading back through the posts on the board (many thanks to Landdriver!), it looks like I have access to both types of outputs under the front passenger kickplate, line-level and speaker-level.

QUESTION: can I splice into the RR/RL line-level wires to run a cable with RCA plugs to the line-level inputs on the amp? Or is one of the speaker-to-line-out adapters a better choice.

QUESTION#2: Since I plan on leaving the factory amp intact. Would this "before-the-amp" splicing be detrimental.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Bob.
    Talked to the fine folk at Crutchfield and wanted to pass it along.

They show that the amp is a Harmon Becker (?) and has RCA line level intputs plugged into it. He advised that if I can get to the amp, I could use a "Y" to split off the signal to the powered sub. The only caveat is if the amp requires a specific "power" and that splitting might disrupt that.

As for splicing in to the wires, since the amp is hard to get to, his advice was to try it...it would either work or not.

I'm going to give it a whirl. I'm very interested in finding out if the Kenwood sub will give me what I'm looking for.

Just passing it along.
    The install went fine. I ended up tapping the speaker-outs at the factory amp plug.

The sound from the Kenwood KSC-SW1 is exactly what I was looking for. I simply put it in the rear, just behind the 2nd row seats. I'll use velcro to keep it from sliding around. Since I tapped the wiring at the amp (behind the 2nd row seats), all the excess wiring stayed back there under the carpet "flap". I had to run the battery cable, fuse box cable and the remote cable towards the front. I just tucked them under the scuff plates. The remote ran under the front passenger seat to the console.

If you're looking to enhance the low-end bass of the factory JBL system, I'd recommend this product. I can now run the bass on the HU at 2 or 3, turn down the mid-range a little, and fade to the rear a little for a surprisingly strong sound...especially from CDs.

Here's the link at Crutchfield if you're interested, although I found it much cheaper at Etronics online:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jqYuk2VSzNh/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=113KSCSW1&g=51000

See ya...
  • nevinsnevins Posts: 1
    Did you ever move your seat back? How did it work out. I went to a cutom shop that services hiend luxury cars and they said itr was a bad idea. I am intrested in getting a coulple more inches on the drivers side...

Thanks
    Tom
  • paul_bpaul_b Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Can anyone provide names of website from where I can buy floor mats. Dealer kept original mats and replaced with cheap-small-tan color ones. Can't believe these cheap tricks are done even today.

Thanks in advance.
    Paul
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    I hope you dinged them on the survey. Wouldn't hurt to write the owner of the dealer and Toyota and tell them your expectations weren't met.

Weathertech seems to be the most recommended brand on the forum, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• joconnorjoconnor Posts: 26
    Weathertec are the best. Have used them on several cars for well over a decade. Hold and catch everything..
  • garygary Posts: 39
    Without going all-out on an audiophile audio system for the HL, I would like to replace my stock system with and aftermarket system without excessive spending. I need personnal reviews on your aftermarket installations for a new head unit and speakers. Trying not to get in to the external amp setup. Just the 4 speakers and HU and leaving the tweeters alone.

I guess I'm looking for the best sound for the money.

(There have been numerous postings in the past but most involve external amps, subs, etc.)

Thanks in advance!!

2001 HL "Un"Limited (non-JBL edition)
    2WD Millennium Silver
  • slvrvetslvrvet Posts: 1
    Has anyone found seat covers for a 2002 Highlander with power seats and side airbags? How do you keep the seat covers from interfering with the side airbags?
  • lapvnlapvn Posts: 455
    Do they make a cargo cover for the 2007 Highlander w/ 3rd row. I would like to be able to put some things in the back that is out of sight from everyone, but can't seem to find one.
  • Can anyone recommend a aftermarket gps navigation system that they have or does Toyota offer a gps navigaton system for 2005 non Limited Highlanders?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    There's lot of aftermarket suggestions in the Navigation GPS Systems discussion, so check that one out too.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nomorebenznomorebenz Posts: 109
    I thought the cover was standard? Check the storage compartment in the back.
    Nomo, thank you. I found it this weekend nosing around the car. Another bad thing was that they never gave us the tour of the car, unlike the time when we bought the Ody. They showed us everything.

GPS, I have the Tom Tom 710 and I am very happy with it. The 910 comes with a 20GB HDD for updates and personalization and for MP3 music. However, I would not want to use it for that, this is why I went with the 710.

Any lower in pricing and quality, they tend to be the same I think. This goes for the low end TomTom's and Magellan and others. At least this is MHO.
    I bought a license plate holder just like mentioned here before. However the screws I bought also has the plastic back cover to be used on the inside of the front bumper. Anyone know if there is a permanent nut that I should be inserting these screws into inside the bumper?
  • a good place to start is Crutchfield. look on the web.
  • I just bought 08 Base HL and am looking to accessorize with following to avoid high dealer cost. Can someone help with online Toyota parts store?

Floor mats
    Mud guards
    Door edge guards

Thanks,
  • Toyota of Nashua! Fantastic prices
  • avuavu Posts: 6
    Try toyotapartspeople.com
    Good prices.
  • Has anyone able to get a hold of the Fog Lights kit? I have the 2008 base model and would like to add it to my HL.

Also anyone installed the Running boards on this bad boy yet? I would live to see how it looks.

thanks