Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Transmission

Comments

• My brake light has been on for awhile but now I have a loud humming or something the faster you drive the louder it gets and I don't know if it is the brakes or if it is something else cause my husband has already changed the front brakes not even a year ago and it sounds like it is coming from the front I just don't know what it is. I don't want to pay to have something done and it not be the problem. Any ideas please help. :confuse:
  • mfacdgba33mfacdgba33 Posts: 19
    check the ball bearings, cv boots, and ball joints. it may just take some packing with grease or you may have a bad cv joint or ball joint. The ball joints and cv joints are factory sealed so you cannot add grease to these but you really must have the ball bearings inspected to make sure they are not broken or burnt up. If it is the ball bearings and they get worse you are risking the wheel to seize up. You also might also want to make sure there isn't a rock or a piece of metal from the wheel manifold isn't rubbing the disc. After all this is checked you should find your problem.
  • crs1890crs1890 Posts: 1
    hi i know it was 2 years ago but what was the problem with the transmission on your 98 ford windstar because the same thing is halping to me thanks you can email me at sharpie1990@verizon.net

Hello All;

My Ford Windstar (3.0L) has approximately 122,000 miles on it and has recently developed a serious transmission problem. The van will not start when Drive "D", or the first gear "1", or reverse gear "R" is selected. The only way it starts is to select the second gear "2" and move to "D" when it picks up speed. It then drives well and can even do reverse parking.

This causes probles at traffic lights, stop signs and other stoppages. I have to manually move the gear selector to "2" and then move it back to "D" when the van is moving.

It appears that my transmission is on its last legs. Any ideas/sugegstions for fixing this problem will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
  • 07exlres07exlres Posts: 11
    Mine is a 1999 3.0L Windstar w/180,000 miles. Tranny runs fine on initial start, other than maybe a bit more than expected of a clunk upon shifting out of Park into Reverse or Drive when cold.

After a period of driving (usually 20-30 minutes -- possibly heat related?) the O/D light begins to flash. At speed, there is no perceptible change in transmission performance when the light begins to flash. As I continue driving with the light flashing, if I slow to a stop and/or start from a stop, the downshift to/upshift from 1st/2nd is abrupt, especially if accelerating briskly. Remaining upshifts/downshifts not involving 1st gear seem normal.

Shutting the ignition off and restarting immediately will turn the flashing light off for a while but the flashing returns shortly, unless the vehicle sits long enough to cool, in which case the 20-30 minute time frame reasserts itself.

From what I have read, this "sounds" like a Transmission Range Sensor issue. Anyone have an opinion in favor or otherwise? I assume an OBDII can't read tranny codes. Would a Ford dealer be able to confirm the TRS as the culprit by reading a code? Wonder what that would cost? Might be cheaper to just replace the TRS and see what happens.

Thoughts?
  • moonie2moonie2 Posts: 3
    Well, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had the same thing happen right after I picked up my van after having the tranny completely rebuilt. Turns out it was a bad nuetral safety switch. Actually the OBDII can read it.

Since I just paid $2500 american to have my tranny rebuilt, they fixed it for free. I think it is around $100-$150 to have it fixed.

Good luck!
  • mfacdgba33mfacdgba33 Posts: 19
    try checking the speed sensor on the trans the clunk from park is usually caused by the trans being in a bind while in park. try setting your parking break before you let off the brake and shut the engine down this will prevent the trans from getting into a bind.
  • dolvoldolvol Posts: 2
    I was driving my Ford Windstar and all was fine, no slipping no jerking, nothing. Today I went to the store and all of a sudden I went from Drive to Nuetral and it will not go into any gear other than park. The shifter moves normally but nothing happpens. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or similar problem.

• boss302jboss302j Posts: 15
    Sounds exactly like what mine did, splines inside the torque converter stripped out that drive the pump drive shaft. I put a converter in mine and has been fine. Find a reputable shop if you aren't going to check it out yourself. I have the feeling a lot of trannys get sold due to this problem.
  • dolvoldolvol Posts: 2
    Thanks so much. My mechanic says that is the problem. :shades:
  • bozie100bozie100 Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my trans. Was wondering what you found out also. Please email if you can bozie100@hotmail.com

Hello All;

My Ford Windstar (3.0L) has approximately 110,000 miles on it and has recently developed a serious transmission problem. The van will not start when Drive "D", or the first gear "1", or reverse gear "R" is selected. The only way it starts is to select the second gear "2" and move to "D" when it picks up speed. It then drives well and can even do reverse parking.

This causes probles at traffic lights, stop signs and other stoppages. I have to manually move the gear selector to "2" and then move it back to "D" when the van is moving.

It appears that my transmission is on its last legs. Any ideas/sugegstions for fixing this problem will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sri.
  • After driving for a while transmission disengages. Pull over turn engine off, restart, van drives normal. After few minutes or if speed slows down at traffic light or to make a turn, transmission disengages again. Engine runs fine. After restart engine and transmission run again after slowing down, etc.
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    I have had my 00 transmission serviced every 30K or so.

Just before my last flush, at 130K miles, I noticed the TC shutter and a slight slip in OD when the van was under a load (mostly uphill in 4th gear).

After the flush, these problems disappeared. I am not sure how long this thing can go!

Maint Record:

30K drop plan and replace filter

63K Flush only

93K Flush and filter change

130K Flush only
  • I see that other people have similar problems to mine. The tranny seems to have lost 3rd and sometime 4th gear, I can start in 2nd, get enough speed going, and put it in drive, sometimes it slips and I have to slow down and do it again. I overloaded it with about 600 lbs or more of tools one day and it messed it up.
    I was just wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to pull the tranny out, Ive done many others and I am a good mechanic but never pulled any front wheel drives, so I'm lacking some confidence. I can get it rebuilt for about $600. but I gotta remove and install it myself.
  • I have a 2000 Ford Windstar, 3.8 v6. Does anyone know what other years of trans are compatable? Prefferably will a '97 fit a 2000?
  • I have a similar problem, so I was just curious, what was the diagnosis?
  • thought i would give this a shot here,see if anyone has any advice, besides dumping this 2000 Ford Windstar. It has a 3.8 in it too by the way. The transmission shifts fine,no clunking,between shifts,or hard shifts,just this whining all the way through all the gears. I took it to a transmission shop,they put it on the diagnostic machine,said it was the transmission range sensor. The odometer isn't working either or the cruise control. The transmission fluid is clean,no burnt smell to it. any help would be appreciated
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    You most likely have the classic brake fluid leak from the bottom (at the sensor) of the brake fluid reservoir

The fluid leaks down into the wiring that impacts the CC and other electronics.

There are a number of references to this issue in this forum. Good Luck!
  • just looking around saw your problem. i just changed mine in the driveway.not to hard average skill in my opinion can do this.but take your time dont rush. i left motor in van. you will need a 30mm socket to remove axle nuts.and a 18mm for motor mounts all the rest regular tools will do it. make shore all harness wires are unplugged.one more thing it took me 3 jacks to lift and line it back up slowly take your time. i spent 800. to rebuild mine way better than a used one .van runs fine now.wifes happy again hope this helps . theboss2
  • I have a 1995 Windstar. The transmission has been good till about 3 days ago. I drove te 20 miles to pick my hubby up and it drove fine. I let t sit and idle while I waited on him because it was like 5 degrees outside. I sat there maybe 20 minutes. After we started going it wouldnt shift out of first. We drove 20 miles at 15-20 mile an hour because it wouldnt shift. We got home and when I went out the next morning it drove fine. I went to pick him up and again let it run while I waited on him and as soon as we left it started it again. I drove it yesterday and it was fine. Why would it not be shifting after I let it sit and idle?