Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Transmission

Comments

• I JUST BOUGHT A 2002 FORD WINDSTAR SPORT VAN.WELL I STOPED AT A STOP SIGN THEN I WENT TO TURN AND ALL SUDDEN THE VAN MADE A CLUNKY CLUNKY NOICE AND NOW IT WONT MOVE.IT STARTS UP GOOD BUT IT WONT MOVE.WHEN I START IT IT MAKES A AWFUL NOICE .IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME PLEASE.NEED TO NO WHAT YOU THINK IT IS
  • WE JUST BOUGHT A 2002 FORD WINDSTAR SPORT VAN HAD IT FOR 1 DAY WENT TO STOP AT A STOP SIGN WHEN I GOT READY TOTURN ALL SUDDEN WE HEARD A CLUNKY CLUNKY NOICE AND THATS WAS IT THE VAN WOULDNT MOVE IT STARTS UP GOOD BUT WONT MOVE IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME PLEASE
  • I am going to remove the transmission from a 99 windstar and would like to know about the best way, I have heard that you can take out from top with engine attache and also take out from the bottom with the engine being supported from above. I have removed front wheel drive transmissions before but not from any vans. any ideas will be appreciated.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    When my engine had to be removed for gasket replacement, I was told they took the engine/trans assembly out through the bottom. This work was done at a Tech College. Ours is a '97.
  • I pulled mine out the bottom, I have a 2000
  • I have a 2001 Windstar and yesterday went to city walk i started to see the check engine flash and the car was rattling like shaking a bit but doesn't get heated up or anything and the oil on both the transmission and engine are fine. When in parking its fine but when shifted to any other one it begins to shake a bit. Any info on what could it be would be great. Thank You
  • Thanks I think I am going to remove from the bottom with engine supported.
  • scott119scott119 Posts: 3
    Our 1999 Windstar transmission began slipping today. It happens when we are accelerating from a stop, the engine revs as if the transmission is in neutral. If we back of the accelerator and try again, the transmission catches and goes fine. Again, but every time we stop it does it again.
  • my 95 windstar is doing the same thing. however, i changed the fluid and filter and it still will not shift out of 1 st gear only if i manually shift out of 1 into 2, but then it will not go into high gear. what can be wrong?
  • jeff371jeff371 Posts: 1
    I have 1998 windstar that starts and runs perfect. It will not pull in any gears it just quit pulling going down the road with no signs at all....Dropped the tranny pan and it was clean with no shavings or anything. Is there a sensor that would cause this?
  • boss302jboss302j Posts: 15
    It sounds like you might have the same problem I had, the torque converter stripped out. You could pull the trans cooler lines off of the tranny and start it up and see if it shoots fluid out or take off the side tranny pan and take the valve body/pump off. there is a shaft that runs from the converter to the pump, If you can turn it with little effort the converter is probably stripped out. supposed to be a common problem. If that is the case all you need is a converter.
  • conquestconquest Posts: 4
    had to replace mine,pump was gone and a bearing, 2200.00 later
  • louisg47louisg47 Posts: 1
    I replaced a trans in a 99 w/3.8 with a running unit from a wreck-I found out later that there are two different trans. for that year-the one i took out was working,but slipping --the new one will not go forward unless the overdrive plug is disconnected-its probably the other trans-is there anything i can do with the wiring or plug etc. to make this trans work==thanks
  • This one is a bit weird. This is a 2000 Windstar with an xaod metric. Same transmission my 98 has (17 bolt pan) but with the 3.8 instead of the 3.0 liter engine. Starts and runs like normal for about 1/2 mile, gets hot, starts flashing the od light and slipping. Stop and it pukes brown fluid all over the ground which does not smell burned. The fluid in the trans itself is still bright red. Let it cool down, add fluid and repeat every 1/2 mile (more going down hill ;-). This is acting like one of the cooling lines is pinched but I can't see anything wrong. Fluid seems to be coming from top of the transaxle. Anyone got an idea? This is the "s" trans not the "n" one with 19 bolt pan. It will probably need to be rebuilt regardless after overheating but I'd still like to understand the cause.
  • kringeringkringering Posts: 2
    I have a 99 windstar with a 3.8 engine with a bad trans I have a friend with a 97 with a 3.0 will the transmission match up
  • kringeringkringering Posts: 2
    I have a 99 windstar with a 3.8 engine with a bad trans I have a friend with a 97 with a 3.0 will the transmission match up
  • troundatrounda Posts: 5
    just wondering do i have to remove the cowl to take the tranny out it looks like ihave to remove the sub frame thanks
  • boss302jboss302j Posts: 15
    Yes you do have to remove the subframe. I believe I did remove the cowl . Not sure if it is a must though.
  • At a range of around 40 - 45 mph, the trans will "chatter", meaning it feels like you are driving over a rumble strip. It seems like the transfer of power from the engine to the wheels is interrupted (torque converter). Further, there is an alternate symptom where the chatter is lazier, more as if you have hit one or two small potholes where there is no pothole. This latter symptom can also occur at higher speeds, such as 60+ and also occurs on hills. Had fluids replaced - no difference. Also, electrical problems are occuring as well, especially the battery light coming on and going off. Have seen the headlights dim and brighten as well. Also, the ABS & emergency brake lights will come on for no apparent reason. Mechanic claims trans is shot. Not so sure that electrical issues are not related - they seem to have happened at the same time. Any feedback on similar experiences appreciated.
  • I have a 95 windstar that I have owened for about 5 yrs. now and I started having shifting problems about 4 yrs. ago. Took my van to 2 diff. trans shops to have them tell me I needed a new trans and that it is slipping. Well it is 4 yrs later now and IA finally burned that trans out cause no one could diagnose my problem correctly. My rebuilt trans is about 9 months old now and my van is not shifting right again. i was told there is a sensor that goes bad and causes this problem but I don't know what sensor it is. I replaced my speed control sensor yesterday. It is still not shifting properly. I was told there is a trans range sensor(neutral safety switch} which could be the problem. I am not sure where this sensor is located, or which one I need, there are 2 diff. ones for my engine. Has anyone had this problem with your car not shifting properly and actually found out what the fix for it is? I am affraid I am going to burn this trans out too.