Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Electrical Problems

167891012»

Comments

• Not sure about the 2003, but the 2001 has 2 sets of fuses, one block of fuses under the hood on the driver's side and another block under the driver's side dash, did you check both sets?

My radio and power windows are fed by a relay that allow them to be used for a few minutes after the ignition is shut off, perhaps there is problem with your relay, but that does not explain why your remote entry is not working.

One thing I have on my 2001 is a fuse you can pull under the dash sort of in the middle of the fuse panel. This particular fuse can be disconnected without removing the cover via a small knob that when pulled, disconnects the fuse from its socket. This will kill the radio and the remote key entry receiver.

This fuse is supposed to be pulled if you are going to be away for several weeks so your battery does not go dead. MAKE SURE this fuse is plugged back in all the way, perhaps somebody pulled it when replacing your battery and forgot to push it back in.

Other than the above I don't know what else to tell you. Hope this helps.
  • qusayqusay Posts: 2
    thank you for your quick response, we have checked the fuses & relays & found them intact , I have read the owner guide book & it is mentioned that fuse # 6 if removed the following systems will not be functinal:Radio & power sliding door & keyless entry system, & when the pull fuse is reinstalled the radio & etc need to be reset,the question is :
    How can I make reset , is it programing.
  • hlkaplanhlkaplan Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Ford Windstar LX and my gauges only work half the time. Can anyone tell my why this would be happening?

I have rebuilt my van and now this is happening.
  • haerohaero Posts: 1
    Hey, I have been having a look at an issue with my sisters van, a 2003 ford windstar, and narrowed it down to the FEM. the front passenger signal light non-functional, the FEM does not seem to want to alternate it on and off. Now that I have narrowed it down to that... I cannot afford to replace this part at the moment.. Does anyone know if it is possible to rig the front signal to run off the rear one, at least temporarily, or will that blow fuses or cause other issues.

Thank you.
  • i have a seriouse problem when i get to a stop light my van starts having some thing like a asthma attack and the reves go up and down till she shuts off any ideas of what that is
  • The only thing I can think of is it may have a vacuum leak. My 1993 Mercury Sable did that same thing and I found a vacuum hose disconnected, YES it was my fault, I forgot to put it back on after I had changed the spark plugs and spark wires. After I reconnected it all was fine again. If you cannot find anything as obvious as that, take it to an auto parts store that has free computer code readouts and see what is happening. It's a place to start.
  • fystywindstarfystywindstar Surrey, B.C., CanadaPosts: 23
    Wiremonster is correct. Also could be your intake manifold. My Check Engine light is always on(comes on after about 2 weeks after having codes cleared), & the code that comes up is "left bank lean.", as my star passed "Air Care" with no problems, I have ignored this problem as it is a small leak in the Intake manifold gasket & the cost to repair is prohibited & as it is running lean this means lest fuel. I had the same problem as firewolf1 but the replacement of the alt, reg & battery (all replaced by non Ford parts [Puralater]), I found that the Beast no longer stalls @ a stop sing etc. but still idles kind of rough.
    I also have both the brake warning lamps on & these also are being ignored as I have had system thoroughly checked out only to find that it is sensors @ fault & not the system. Door & window problems, first clean the door pillar contacts before tearing down the doors to replace solenoids etc.
  • i've checked the fuses inside the car and in the engine compartment and i didn't see any blown fuses. all this happened after i took apart the driver's door panel to fix the power window that wasn't going down. could there be a ground wire in there that might be causing the problem? or is it the rem? dang, i don't want to spend too much money on this van since it's a piece of junk but it's my only mode of transportation. help.
  • 1998 Ford Windstar , no break lights or shifter unlock. The break pedal switch is good , fuse 7 ( as well as all others both under hood and inside van ) are good. All relays I can find under hood and inside van check good . This Windstar was manufactured February / 1998 so it does not have the Rear Electronic Module in the jack storage panel . It has power in to dark green wire going to break pedal position switch and power out from the light green one. I have checked all grounds and wires I can find / trace and have found no breaks. All other lights and switches work as they should .I cant find a good print to locate all the related wiring and grounds . This one has me baffled . Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • When you say the "rear and interior lights are not working", just which "rear" lights are you referring to? Brake lights, parking lights, or the light at the rear door? Do any of your power windows work now? One thing you might try is working the "instrument panel light dimmer/cabin lights on-off" control all the way up until it clicks so the interior lights are forced on, do they come on then? If not, the control module that operates these lights may have a problem and off hand I don't know if its the FEM or the REM that controls them.
  • i have no power to windows, radio,interior lights ,no power steering basically nothing electrical working but will start up though. help help
  • I purchased my 03 Ford Windstar about a month ago. Within a week it showed signs of what I now know is a bad FEM. The van was taken to Ford who did a diagnostic test and they did verify the problem was in the front electrical module. Ford no longer makes the front electrical module. They did locate a used FEM but how dependable can it be? Now that you can't buy a new one will I be replacing the used one often? The FEM is a very important part of this van without it the van is not drive-able.
  • They did have intake manifold problems I THINK there was a recall. Call a ford dealer and ask if any open recalls on your vehicle you will need to give them the VIN#
  • fystywindstarfystywindstar Surrey, B.C., CanadaPosts: 23
    Thanks so much billy. I certainly will check that out. I am surprised that they didn't bring that up when I had the brakelight switch done. Cheers.
  • i have big electric problem i check all the fuse and relay
  • I've had this van for going on two years and had no problems till recently. Pretty obvious it's either in the fuel pump or security/electrical. Ran into a problem where fuel pump does not turn on when you turn on the key. It's done it twice now and the last time it took about 20 minutes for it to kick in and operate as though nothing had happened. Making me a little nervous of course since I was about 10 mi from home when it happened. Any ideas? I suspect an electrical or security system problem but checking out if anyone else has had this happen.

Thanks...
  • dnt2dnt2 Posts: 3

2000 ford windstar cannot find where a two wire plug goes after removing the cowl. Looks like maybe for a hood switch it is a 2 wire violet with orange stripe wire and a black wire that ties into the wire bundle that goes to the wiper motor. Best that I can tell the van does not have a switch? 6-30-2000 build date. I just do not remember seeing this wire before and do not remember unplugging it from anything. Please let me know if a 6-30-2000 build date Ford Windstar would have the hood switch or not. There is not a underhood light on this van I believe the hood switch would be part of the security system maybe? Security system seems to work just fine.

167891012»