Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Electrical Problems

Comments

• Hello Folks,
    I started my Ford 1995 windstar and there was a wiff of smoke coming from behind the steering wheel maybe from the starter switch assembly. I turned it off and waited for the smoke to dissipate (5 minutes). Then I started the vehicle and made it home (45 minute drive) Later the van turns over well with a healthy battery but the engine does not fire. Just like a no gas situation. The starter tries but the engine just does not run. What should I investigate?

Please also note that I had recently changed my starter solenoid after what seemed like a dead battery situation only that all the lights worked well and strong. The vehicle worked well for a week after the solenoid change before the smoking issue above.
  • my 97 3.8 windstar started this bad idle low rpm when stopped in gear, like at stop sign or light and kept stalling.it got worse as it warmed up. i took it to my mechanic he said its :mad: to expensive to start changing parts, found no codes,he said take it home and try changing wires, clean fuel injectors,look for vac leaks,intake leaks. so i started looking, found this valve on front of manifold there are two of them, one had a blown diaphragm. they are on a intake manifold called split port induction.i think it only came on engine years 96,97,98. so i did a mickey mouse repair job and it worked very good. i found this part on ebay . intake control valve not idle control valve thats another part on the thottle body. its a dealer part at around $270.00.i have not ordered the part ($70). soon i hope.
  • My 2000 windstar just passed 80,000 miles and at the same time all this happened:
    ABS light - ON
    Parking Light - ON
    OD off light - flashing
    Spedometer - not working
    Odometer - not working displays ------
    The 10amp fuse that controls all of this keeps blowing. I had a service tech unplug part of my wire harness under the air filter box from a square aluminum box. This fixed the problem for about 5 miles! So i left the wire unplugged from the box and took the van to another service tech that blamed a leak from the master cylinder. he fixed the leak left the wire unplugged and the fuse quit blowing and all gages started working again. the problem that remains is now because the wire is still unplugged i have no horn or cruise control and when I plug the wire back in to the box i blow the fuse again.
    Does anybody have any ideas?
    Let me know. Thanks.
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    The leaking brake fluid make have damaged the wiring, repair or replace this wiring.

Good Luck.
  • Absolutely - I had the same problem. There's likely a fuse that's blown in the fusebox in the engine (pop the hood and it should be on your right side, assuming the engine set up is the same as my 2002). Can't remember the location of the fuse off the top of my head, but it was one of the blue fuses in my box. Pull the cover off the fuse box and look down at them. You should be able to see if the elements are either blown, or look corroded. Just pop it out, take it to the autoparts store for a replacement. Once you replace that fuse, you shouldn't have any more problems.
  • rs4cdrs4cd Posts: 1
    ....this is becoming quite dangerous. On many occasions this past 6 months the vehicle is stalling while driving. There are occasional shutters that the van makes. My first reaction was Water in the Fuel line or Spark Plug. My mechanic(s) have run Diagnostic Tests (5 in all) and are unable to locate the problem. I have spent over $700 in diagnostic tests (Ugh). Also while driving at night, the headlight will dim and then brighten back up. This does not happen at the same time as the shuttering (or at least I don't think so). When the van stalls out, it will do so unannounced at any given speed in any given traffic condition. I usually pull off to the side of the road, turn everything off and have no problem starting the vehicle back up. My mechanic suggests that we start with changing out the basics and working our way up. This could get quite expensive for something that sounds easy to find. Suggestions??
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Yikes, $700 in diagnostic tests and all you get out of it is: start with changing out the basics and working our way up (whatever that means).

Has it been to a Ford dealer for a diagnosis?
  • sal26sal26 Posts: 3
    New member hi! Big DIY guy wondering how to fix my pass side rear view turn signal light and how to find the keypad code without going to the $100.00 hr dealer. Lastly how easy is it to find performance parts for subtle modifications ie. brakes, cold air intake, suspention Any suggestions?
  • sal26sal26 Posts: 3
    Picked up this van and love it so far. A few questions to anyone that can help. The right turn signal indicator on the rearview went out recently easy fix or do I have to take it to the dreaded dealer? 2. How can I get the keypad code without using the dealer? Lastly any modifications avail ie. suspention, cold air intake, brakes?
  • My 2000 was doing that too but I got an idle control valve and it fixed that problem. Right now though it has other issues. The backup lights will not come on. The fuse is not blown. The van also is starting to buck, and the interior lights are flashing on and off. Anybody help me figure out this problem.
  • kweltykwelty Posts: 10
    I had this happening about a year ago. My husband decided it was the brake pedal sticking a bit and not coming up completely to switch them off. I don't remember exactly what he did that fixed it, but it stopped. I will ask him and post back. Knowing him, he got out some WD-40 and lubricated something. I don't remember purchasing a part. Hope this helps.
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    A little WD-40 on the brake light switch also fixed the problem on my 2000 SEL.
  • kweltykwelty Posts: 10
    No WD-40 was used to fix mine after all! He is home now and said the bracket holding the brake light switch was bent a little and he just straightened out. While it was bent it wasn't letting it "switch off"
  • I have a 1995 Ford Windstar. The right front turn indicator stops working at night. It works fine during daylight hours. What could be the cause of this?
  • jjsbgjjsbg Posts: 3
    We are having so many of the exact same problems as outlined here.

The interior dome lights coming on at will even when the switch is in the off position.
    The “Liftgate ajar” light coming on even when the liftgate is closed.
    The “right side door opening at will” or refusing to close, and having to be kept locked to keep this from occurring.
    The Battery going completely dead even after brand new batteries have been put in.

We have had it into Ford so many times in the last few weeks, and had to have it towed there again this morning (fourth time in two weeks). Has anyone been able to find out what is causing their problems, that might help?
  • jjsbgjjsbg Posts: 3
    Did you ever find out what your problem was with the interior lights and the power sliding door??? We are having so many of the exact same problems as outlined here.

The interior dome lights coming on at will even when the switch is in the off position.
    The “Liftgate ajar” light coming on even when the liftgate is closed.
    The “right side door opening at will” or refusing to close, and having to be kept locked to keep this from occurring.
    The Battery going completely dead even after brand new batteries have been put in.

We have had it into Ford so many times in the last few weeks, and had to have it towed there again this morning (fourth time in two weeks). Did you find out anything? They told us yesterday they cannot find anything wrong, have tested all the "modules??".
  • In my 2002 Windstar I am getting a message to check left front headlamp. I found that the lowbeam does not work but the high did. I replaced the headlamp with a new one and I still have the same problem. I have a new 15A fuse which I was going to put in and see if that made a difference, But, I cannot seem to figure out how to take the cover of the fusebox off. Anyhelp would be appreciated. I don't think replacing the fuse will work as it would seem that the high beam wouldn't work either. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Well, after starting my concerns I have just about given up. I resolved the issue with the vehicle not starting because it was an ignition switch problem. I know sometime back there was a recall on these switches. I have 2 of these Fix Or Repair Daily vehicles abd I firmly believe that Ford dealers do nothing if they find there is no immediate problem. Even if there is a call to change out a part. I am concerned that someone if not already will be hurt or worse killed.

My van still acts up with the internal dome lights,door ajar warning and the annoying ding ding ding as if the door was open.

I wonder why there is no class action suit against Ford for such poor vehicles. I am sure there are many more Windstar owners facing problems with the vans.
  • Taking off the fuse box seems complicated but it is real easy. Lie on your back and get under the dash of the drivers side. You can see it clearly above you. All you have to do is tug on it firmly holding the sides. The is a litle tool inside to hold fuses for removal and installation.

The book and the position of each fuse however did not make sense. I was really confused by the diagram and what I saw. There is no orienataion and any way I looked at it, it seemed different from the book. Good luck.

Owner of a Fix Or Repair Daily