Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Electrical Problems

Comments

• When our '95 Windstar had the same list of problems (except for the radio) I sprayed some WD40 (or other penetrating spray lube) into each door (including the two hatch door locks, Left & Right sides) lock, then the problem was cured for another year or so. Any of the door switches not correctly setting or being intermittent could cause these symptoms. This may or may not be your solution..but it takes only a minute to do, without having to disassemble anything.
  • I tried spraying the locks of all of the doors including the hatch. I sprayed both locks on the sliding doors. I started the van up and everything works. Thanks for this information. Maybe someone should tell Ford how to solve this problem. What a savings from haveing to take it to Ford and still not get the problem solved as some I have read about. Yes event the radio works the way it should

Thanks again :)
  • I have a 2003 Windstar and every time I pull into a parking lot my wife always tells me where to park. Very confusing,,, WHY? Any suggestions will be GREAT! LOL
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I would try sitting in the passenger seat and see if the problem with the confusing sounds still occurs. Of course, you will need someone else to drive (your wife, perhaps?) as it would be dangerous for you to try to drive while sitting in the passenger seat.

:D
  • The Ford garage fixed my neighbor's window once, but it's doing it again. I just fixed my Town Car windows with the three little plastic lumps that go into the gear case, so thought I might take a stab at this. Problem is the window does not work from either driver or passenger switch. No noise or anything. Anybody had the same problem? Broken wire somewhere? Thanks-- Charlie
  • I have a 2002 Limited. We only drive the car on weekends now. Has 38k miles on it. We were out last weekend driving home from the store. We were at a stop light, the A/C shut off. We proceeded after the light turned green, then the a/c came back on. A mile down the road, it quit again, this time the information center went out, the car stating running rough, the windows would not go down and who knows what else. We were able to get home and the doors and locks would not open with the buttons. I charged the battery overnight, the next day, all was working normal. Yesterday, a week later, we drove on the freeway to a store and on the way home, the windows stopped working. My wife had rolled hers down, but would not go back up. I put the charger on the battery when we got home. 1 hour later, she went and tried the window, it rolledup just fine. What is going on? Help.
  • It was the Alternator that went bad.
  • I am having a problem with the rear window washer and wiper. The #7 fuse in the relay box under the hood keeps blowing immediately after installing a new one. I took it to a mechanic and he tried disconnecting the wiper and later the washer pump, but the fuse keeps blowing. He said it would take a while to trace all the wiring to find the short.
    Has anyone else had the same or a similar problem related to the wiring in the 2001 Windstar or close model years? I would like to know if there is a good place to start the search.

Thanks, Dale
  • I have a 2003 Windstar with 48K miles.....no matter how hard I slam the liftgate - the "ajar" light stays on. Yes - I have tried WD40 with no luck.......My battery has also died three times in the last 2 weeks. I have a 16 month old and a disabled husband....I really could use some help to try and fix it myself. I did purchase an extended warranty with the van but the dealer said they would charge me $80 - $90 just to diagnose the problem. :confuse:
  • drew77drew77 Posts: 1
    I just recently had my power steering fixed, when i got it back the radio wasn't working, before it was working fine. Now there is no sound, and the digital display is blank, nothing. Then later I removed the radio console to replace the heating actuator and when I put the radio back in place the rear control for the radio began working. Now it is just the front radio control console that isn't working. All the fuses have been checked and are fine. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
  • I am having a starting problem with my 2000 windstar, when i turn the key dash lights up heater comes on but nothing from the starter, i am also having major charging issues, i have replaced the altenator, battery and still never know when it will be chatrged when i try and start it, sometimes it will be almost stone dead 5 minutes after turning it off.
    Please help ready to BURN this piece of junk
  • Hello,I have a 2001 Windstar and recently had problems with the electrical system too. However my problems were different from yours. Mine started with a rear wiper and washer pump that wouldn't work due to a blown fuse in the fuse block under the hood. Then a few days later, the fuse for the rear quarter windows kept blowing if you tried to open them, and my keyless entry pad would not work either. That fuse was connected to my radio so I couldn't live without that. I needed to find out what was causing the problems. My mechanic finally traced the problem to some melted wiring in the harness in the drivers side door. He traced the wire going to the rear windows from the fuse block under the hood and also from the fuse block under the dash on the drivers side. That one is the one for the rear windows and radio in my van. He literally had to tear apart the interior of my van to trace the wiring at a cost of $865.00, and that was with a 10percent discount because I bought the car from this particular lot. They first have to diagnose the problem before they can fix it. He charged $75 per hour do to that. They had the van for the better party of 5 days and he didn't even charge me the full amount of hours he could have. I guess he felt sorry for me. I had bought the car there only a year before. If you have the money to spend, I would have a mechanic begin to look at all the wiring and trace it along the way and see if he can find where the wires are shorting out. Maybe he will get lucky and be able to find it right away so it won't cost you so much money. If you have a mechanic that you use regularly, he may cut you a little slack on the labor. We had to find a new wiring harness for my van at a cost of $118.00 and it was the last new one in the country as far as the internet seach was concerned. But you may find one in a junk yard as I guess Ford doesn't make parts for these cars any longer. Good luck and I hope this has helped you a little. Dale
  • jkg3jkg3 Posts: 3
    I guess I'm not alone after reading these posts. My '99 Windstar will do things like flash all the interior lights a few times as you drive along with all doors closed, the rear AC system will start blowing intermittently without switching it on, and now the lights (headlights and panel) will dim for a few seconds and then brighten again. It's intermittent but will do it the whole time you're driving. Interestingly, now the van won't start when you shut it off after it's warm. It will crank, and almost start, as if out of gas, but no go. At best it will catch, run rough for a few seconds (low RPM's), then die. Wait an hour, and it will start. I was thinking two different problems, but now I'm wondering...any ideas?
  • I have a 99 also- a few ideas for you. A couple months ago mine was trying to start and barely running before dying much like you described and it was the fuel pump fuse # 5 in the engine compartment. Just a shot in the dark- but check that. As for the blinking lights, try taking off the plastic cover on the passenger side front pillar and examine the wires very closely- these cars are known for shorting right there because the wires rub- you should just need to cover with tape.
    Thanks for the tip, I have to find that fuse. The plot of my mystery thickens...

When I turn the key to the "On" position, prior to starting, I can sometimes hear the fuel pump hum for 2-3 seconds, building pressure, then shut off. When I hear this, the van starts every time. When I turn the key "On" and don't hear the pump - you guessed it - the engine cranks but won't fire.

Does this help anybody with a diagnosis? Thanks again.
  • ZUULUZUULU Posts: 2
    when I try to start my 2002 windstar all i get is a click click click click... noise and when i turn the key of and pull it out my front headlights flash on and off. stereo will not come on.... and it's hard to turn the key to the off position at times. happened 2 days ago as well but jumped it and started fine.. drove 300km home from parents with wife and kids and no problems at all.. next day tried to start and nothing but click click click click.... charged the battery..... and still click click click..... the only way i was able to stop the front headlights from flshing with key out and doors closed was to disconnect and reconect the battery......... does anyone know what i can look for to solve this issue.... my van is in a parking garage..... i'm going to try and tap the starter motor next.. however i do not know the location of the starter... need lots of help...... please reply
  • I am experiencing the exact same problem. At first I thought it might have been a relay. I replaced the relay but the problem still remains. Therefore I think it is the fuel pump.

Have you found a solution yet?
    No, sorry, I have not. I also replaced the relay after asking a couple of mechanics for advice. Immediately after replacing it, the van wouldn't start. I waited a bit, turned the key to "On", heard the fuel pump for a few seconds, and the van started. I have to believe that this is more common than just you and I, and somebody out there has to have the answer. I am a shadetree mechanic, but I don't think the intermittent problem is the pum itself.
  • This problem is almost always a bad battery. It most likely has a bad cell or two since it seems to happen in the am.Have your battery tested free at your local auto parts store.
  • I just put a brand new battery in my van. The problem still exists.