Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Electrical Problems

Comments

• oyokidude1oyokidude1 Posts: 20
    Okay, i replaced the front door lock actuators on my windstar, that's why they wouldn't open. As far as the alarm do you mean keyless entry (replace the battery)? It could just be that it needs to be reprogrammed. Somehow mine came undone. Look online anyways. I think to reprogram it. You get in your car with the doors CLOSED (if not all the doors are closed it won't work). Anyways you turn the key to the off position and from there you rotate the key to the ON position (the engine is not started just to that notch before you start the car) anyways rotate doing that 8 times (ON - OFF) do not start the engine. After the eighth time your car doors should lock and unlock press the lock button on your keypad and it should be programmed. As for the back windows don't worry all windstars have that problem don't even bother having the motors changed (i have had 2 windstars) with the same problem.
  • wlee1wlee1 Posts: 2
    :lemon:
    Brought this damn thing new... a few years after I had it my passenger electric window quit working, drive side was ok...

Read a few articles as this problem grew...there's a wiring harness (wiring bundle) that was supported by some brackets. Apparently, where the wiring was resting, the bracket was sharp enough to cut through the insulation and shorted it couple of wires that powers the electric window.

Ford knew about it, technical bulletin was issued, but no recall. Can't seem to track this problem down.

Does anyone know, where the short or it's location of this problem?

If this post is similar to another post that I'd missed, please re-direct me...

thanks in advance...any help is appreicated
  • bubbatbkbubbatbk Posts: 1
    Brought this damn thing new... a few years after I had it my passenger electric window quit working, drive side was ok...

Read a few articles as this problem grew...there's a wiring harness (wiring bundle) that was supported by some brackets. Apparently, where the wiring was resting, the bracket was sharp enough to cut through the insulation and shorted it couple of wires that powers the electric window.

Ford knew about it, technical bulletin was issued, but no recall. Can't seem to track this problem down.

Does anyone know, where the short or it's location of this problem?

If this post is similar to another post that I'd missed, please re-direct me...
  • 800613800613 Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 Windstar and recently the instrument panel goes "Hay-Wire" with all the needles of the speedometer/tachometer/fuel/temperature going wild pointing up/down... around back and front... I noticed this usually happens more frequently now after not using the van for a few days.I have yet to consult with Ford technicians but realized you guys might be able to help me with this problem. Has anyone experienced the same problem and do you have a CURE or solution??? Thank you :cry: :mad:
  • 800613800613 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2000 Windstar... Did you get the problem fixed??? How??? Please let me know... Thanks :confuse: :cry:
  • a1mike1aa1mike1a Posts: 9
    After checking everything around the cruise control I gave up.
    My wife told me that the brake light on the dash stayed on, and sometimes the rear brake lights would not go off. I remembered reading in this forum about the brake pressure switch leaking and causing short circuits and sometimes fires. I removed the air filter hose and checked the pressure switch under the front of the master cylinder. Sure enough it was wet with brake fluid. A new switch from Ford cost about $14.00. (they have plenty of them)
    I disconnected the neg bat wire and cleaned off the wiring with a contact spray for electricals. The new switch screws right in without loosing any brake fluid.
    Now the cruise works and the brake lights function as they should.
  • bobsteerbobsteer Posts: 2
    Mine was doing the samething. I was told that behind the instrument panel there is a wire harness. Hit the dash above the cluster panel (may need to try different spots) and if you here the chime and the cluster works properly you probably need to clean the wire harness. All you have to do is take off the cluster panel and the harness is right behind it. Clean the contact points on the harness and that should solve the problem. I would suggest using something that has a grease based product in it (vasoline) to put on the conectors so they do not get corroded again. Hope this helps, I have seen numerous post about this with no clear cut answer, this has solved my problem.
  • I'm experiencing the same entertainment electrical system failure. I rely on being able to plug things in my car so its a pain.

I also master cylinder problems and fixed it at dealership.
    I also experinced probs with doors not closing/not latching.

Last summer my car door on the driverside passenger seat would not close at all, I heard a loud snap and though the kids broke something but, it was the wiring harness I had to drive to local Home Depot with my kids in the third row while the window was open. I closed it by using a tree limb cutter on it. But, now there is no more power door.

Latest issue is the lose of use of the entertainment area and front seat electrical outlets. I scheduled an appt to have it checked out for $99.

But now after reading all these problems, I'll wait to get another!

Thanks
    J. A., Maryland- owner 3 years, of a broke down expensive 2004 Ford Windstar
  • I'm experiencing the same entertainment electrical system failure. I rely on being able to plug things in my car so its a pain.

I also master cylinder problems and fixed it at dealership.
    I also experinced probs with doors not closing/not latching.

Last summer my car door on the driverside passenger seat would not close at all, I heard a loud snap and though the kids broke something but, it was the wiring harness I had to drive to local Home Depot with my kids in the third row while the window was open. I closed it by using a tree limb cutter on it. But, now there is no more power door.

Latest issue is the lose of use of the entertainment area and front seat electrical outlets. I scheduled an appt to have it checked out for $99.

Thanks
    J. A., Maryland- owner 3 years, of a broke down expensive 2004 Ford Windstar
  • cardavcardav Posts: 3
    let me know what they find. They told me i would need to send my tv out to new york to have it diagnosed. Our # 6 fuse is blowing on the fuse box every once and a while. We really like the van though. They stopped making it i think because they couldnt iron out the probs. I have always had good luck w/ Fords.
  • tim4746tim4746 Posts: 2
    3 months ago when you turned the key to start the van all the dash board lights came on, but it wouldn't turn over no click or anything. Tried jumping the battery, tapping the solenoid. The next day tried wouldn't start, the third day started fine the first time and worked for 3 stratight months. Last week same thing happened would not start but all dash lights came on. It was not the battery. It was 10 pm so we couldn't have it towed to a mechanic. The next morning it started fine and the dealership diagnostic came back fine. My guess is intermittent electrical in nature since somtimes our tail lights remain on when the vehicle is off and as we're driving down the road the dome lights may automatically come on. Any suggestions would be most helpful.
    Thank-you,
    Tim
  • See my post #89 on this board for some ideas on the fix
  • Auto part store tested my computer, and the code is "Misfire in Cylinder 1" What should I check first? Spark plug? Timing?
  • Pull the spark plug to see if it is fouled. If it is check the plug wire with a ohm meter.
    Your parts store should be able to help you if you do not have a meter.
    These plugs are hard to reach so they are probable original.
  • van7188van7188 Posts: 8
    I had the same issue with mine this spring. It was a real b*tch to get to the back plugs. The #1 spark plug in my engine had a crack in the ceramic.
  • I had the same issue with mine after having a trailer hitch and electrical socket installed for my pop-up camper. After playing around with the latches and having no luck, I tried checking the gasket to make sure it was put in properly. After fixing the gasket in 3 different areas around the whole lift gate, the door finally fit right and the liftgate ajar message went away.
  • oyevey1oyevey1 Posts: 2
    Our rear tail light on the driver side doesn't work (we've been pulled over 3 times by the cops), the rear heater goes on and off by itself, the dome light and side lights are like a disco from the 70's, the electrical door doesn't always work, dash board lights flicker, and I don't know where to start...

In reading the posts it sounds like I should start by looking under the air filter electrical components and wiring harness. Has anyone figured this out?

Thanks for your thoughts! :sick:
  • oyevey1oyevey1 Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure these problems out? I'm post #160.
  • did you find the solution ??? please help
  • newby here, not a mecanic, however, after experiencing the needle dance, I had a
    couple quick times the starter misfired-or whined, but still started, with a trip planned
    for this week-end, I had the mechanic pull it, and took it to a local "automotive electrical rebuild" shop, only a couple of teeth left on the gizmo, can't imagine why,
    it has only been started around 7,000 times in the couple of years I have had it, ye
    olde yard and garage sales, ya know, but, don't hold your breath, the berserkness
    has stopped for the moment, the mechanic is further checking some other electrical
    problems tomorrow, window won't work, cigarette lighter, etc., cost was less than
    1/3rd of auto parts place rebuilts-I called them all, of course, these forums are great,
    as I probably would have spent a lot of money for a "guess what it might be" trip to
    several mechanics, thanks so much to all, and this forum, I will be back with an update, asap, be safe, and help one another!