Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Audio/Entertainment Questions

This car is my second VW. VW's are known for their radios. This Jetta 2.5 has by far the worst FM reception of any car I have ever experienced. I have contacted VW, and the dealer has looked at it twice and tells me it is functioning fine. I am extremely disappointed with VW's response thus far, as they don't seem to have a solution for me. I am told it is not possible to put an external antenna on the car, and according to the dealer they can't or won't put a different radio in unless it was ordered from the factory. I feel that the Radio and/or the window antenna are poorly designed. I feel VW who markets the car as having an outstanding stereo should be more responsive to this problem. Are others having problems with their radios?

Comments

• I agree with the poor radio. AM stations (talk radio) is great but FM stations are terrible at the least.
  • bcnyabcnya Posts: 1
    I have a 2005.5 TDI that had the same problem, took me a while to figure it out. The FM reception would always suck in the morning but would be OK any other time. Turns out that the window antenna was conflicting with the rear window defroster (that I would use only in the morning). My VW dealer replaced the rear window and the issue was resolved. Good luck hope this helps.
  • tuffy2tuffy2 Posts: 1
    I have 2000 & 2002 Jettas. I would like to add an AUX jack so can plug my MP3 player directly into the stereo. Is there an Aux input in the back of these units (2002 is a Monsoon; 2000 is stock w/o CD)? The 2000 was set up to have a CD changer in the trunk - but I think wiring was removed by dealer when I negotiated without it. Any tricks to removing the stereo on either car?? Thanks for any advice!!
  • tdidrvrtdidrvr Posts: 1
    I just bought one of those cassette tape insert units for less than $10 and get great play from both of my cars. I was looking for an Aux jack too, but this is much simpler.
  • jiclarkjiclark Posts: 4
    I'm desperately looking for a relatively cheap line-in connection for my iPod in my '05 Jetta TDI wagon with the Monsoon sound system. I have a tape adapter currently, and it's surprisingly good, but it just makes me drool for line-in, knowing how much *better* it could sound!

I've done a bunch of research, and definitely found that there are probably several options that would hook into the place in the back of my wagon that is reserved for a CD changer. The problems I see are that I'd either have to leave the iPod in the little compartment back there, or have a long cable somehow snaked up to the front of the car.

Has anyone here found a solution they could recommend, hopefully including a website link or something? I would very much appreciate it!!

Thanks,
    John
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    Have you considerd one of those FM modulators that plug into your iPod? Then, you just tune in your monsoon to the frequency and enjoy.
  • mariarkomariarko Posts: 1
    want to know if anyone else is having problems with the radio volumn randomly fluctuating. just bought my jetta and noticed problem. after taking it in to the dealer, they told me that they knew about this problem with the jettas and that vw was in the process of dealing with panasonic. panasonic is the one that supplies the radios on most jettas. don't know if on any other vw's. until the issue is resolved between vw and panasonic i have to wait. they won't put another radio in as it is a software problem and in the meantime i have to live with it. please pass the word on. this is very deceptive on vw's and dealers part.
  • kuenskuens Posts: 2
    I have purchased one of those FM Transmitter from ebay. It works very good. Here is where I bought the item.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Risefull-Direct
  • I have a 2006 jetta tdi package 2 with nav radio. dealer put new radio in after 2000 miles radio reset and keeps scanning the xm station. I was told software will be done in november. radio also losses presets.
  • Can anyone solved my XM radio problem? XM is playing and I turn off motor and leave car. On return when I start car the radio display says "NO SAT RADIO". After several minutes I can get the XM to work. Dealer has swaped out the XM modul in trunk. Any thoughts? :) AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE CAR!!!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    Is this when you park at home…or office parking underground?

My XM would always go “out” when I passed into my garage…only when I passed the metal frame for the garage door…then it would reconnect once in the garage.
  • This happens when I am parked outdoors: no trees, buildings, etc. I switch the car off and when I get back in I get "no sat radio". In addition sometimes the preset default to chanel 1.
  • tafkamtafkam Posts: 3
    I got the same "no sat radio" message yesterday in my two week old Jetta with Sirius radio. I was at the post office, had the car off, put a package in the trunk and when I restarted the car and turned on the radio this message came up. Reception was not blocked, should have been picking up a signal, and to make matters even stranger, according to the manual this message applies to XM radio not Sirius.

Not much info on the web; the only thing I can think of in my case is when I put the package in the trunk and slamed the trunk shut maybe the wiring to the tuner came loose?

Does anyone know where the tuner is in the trunk? I have not explored yet, and also have not tried the radio yet after the car has been off all nite, will find out shortly.

I think you get a different message if the radio is not picking up the sat, but maybe I am wrong this is brand new to me......anyone have any ideas? Going to call the dealer today and see what they have to say about it.

Mike in TX
    When I started the car this morning the same error happened "no sat radio" even though I turned the radio on on the highway where there were no obstructions to the sats. I kept turning it on and off but same issue. Finally I put a cd in and played the first song and then pressed the sat button again, and then the sat radio worked again. Worked fine all day after that.

Strange. I found the tuner in the trunk and no wires seemed to be loose or anything. I need to call my salesperson anyway so I will see if the dealership knows anything about this issue. Anyone else with the "no sat radio" message? Please post and let me know......
  • mitchcmitchc Posts: 39
    I've had my Jetta with Sirius since October 2005 and periodically get "No SAT available" at random times for no apparent reason. It usually works a couple of minutes later. I strongly doubt this is a mechanical or electrical issue. It is likely related to intermittent problems with the satellite signal. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would say this problem crops up anywhere from 0 to 5 or more times a week.

People have similar problems with other satellite based systems such as GPS - although GPS has become much more reliable over the years due to improvements in the satellite coverage.

It may also have something to do with location as I live in Texas. Perhaps Sirius coverage is better on the east and west coasts?

It would be unrealistic to assume Sirius or XM has "perfect signal coverage" and immediately blame the car.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for the reply. I also live in Texas (on the border near Shreveport) and was using a plug and play unit that showed signal strength in my other car, and the locations where I got the "no sat radio" message I know to be areas with a good signal.

At any rate, do you know if this message means there is no or weak signal or does it mean there is a problem with the connection from the tuner in the trunk up to the radio?

I was thinking that if the radio was not getting a signal it would say something like "no signal" rather than the one I am getting?

Like you say, if it is just sporatic I can live with it but I want to make sure there is no issue with the hardware.....

Thanks again
    Mike
  • tko1965tko1965 Posts: 4
    I live in a major eastern metropolitan area (Philadelphia) and continuously have signal problems with my Sirius radio which came with my 06 Jetta. My previous car had XM built in and I rarely had dropped or lost connections. I'm not sure if it is Sirius or VW using a cheap receiver.
  • Hello everyone, I have been looking around the site and reading some info on other Jetta's. I am planning on taking out the TAPE player that is in my jetta(2000) now and puting in my own CD player. Now I have heard there is some problems we doing this. Any tips?? Thanks for your help!
  • I bought a Jetta A5 on February and it did not come with the satellite radio option. In the specs, it says that should be compatible with the satellite radio feature. I know that the factory cars have a modulator or receiver in the trunk + the stubby antenna on the roof + the SAT button on the radio (mine has a MIX button instead of).

My question is: can I get a satellite radio for my car (the same or similar to the factory one)? I do not want to buy another receiver to plug into my CD dash, I want to keep my car as original as possible.

Also, how difficult is to install the ipod adapter? I can get one but they want to charge me up to 100 usd for the installation.

Thanks. :cry:
  • My '06 Jetta TDI came with a Sirius satellite radio. Even though it came with three months of complimentary service I cancelled it. The sound is low-fidelity i.e. mp3 quality. Listening to the classical station was unbearable. OTOH, if you really need nationwide coverage of nfl and nba games its the way to go. Caveat emptor: the sound of satellite radio is awful!

Jay