Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Audio/Entertainment Questions

Comments

• ben911ben911 Posts: 12
    I agree. I have XM, and really only listen to the Comedy Channels, and the 80's station.

Probably cancel mine soon as well.

Ben
  • I have a problem with my sound system in my o6 Jetta. While im driving the sound goes up and down with my speed. Now im the type of person who likes my music loud, so I dont want it turning down on me while im driving or anytime rather.

Although I know that its a feature in the car but I want to know if there is a way to turn it off. I called the dealer to see if he could tell me but he really wasnt that much help. So if there is someone who knows some kind of way to turn it off or control it please let me know.

Thanks,
    Kiyah
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    The radio in my 2003 Jetta has a "feature" that changes the volume with roadspeed. The intent of this feature is to overcome the noise of the tires and wind as you go faster. There are several "adjustments" for this feature. It can even be turned off if you dislike it.

As for most of the "complaints" in these forums... the answer is READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL FROM COVER TO COVER. I am certain you will learn a lot about your new car that you did not even know existed.
  • Any help please ? My friend has a 97 Jetta and went to start her car after it being turned off for about 20 mins..her radio is stuck in safe mode (which she knows how to take care of) but her car is completely dead/no lights/no nothing...any suggestions ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
    Thank you !
  • zmillzmill Posts: 3
    sorry i cant help you with your problem but recently after i replaced my ecu my radio got stuck in safe mode how do you reset that?
    Like most of the questions asked here.... the answer is "Read your owners manual"

The details on how to unlock the radio from "safe mode" are spelled out in the owners manual.

There is a unique "code" for your vehicle that has to be entered.... lets hope you have not lost your radio code.
  • zmillzmill Posts: 3
    there spelled out ay well i cant read them o ya thats write i just bought the car and i dont have an owners manual . but thanks for the help anyway.
    Most people INSIST that a car comes with Spare keys, owners manual and the radio-code before they get their checkbook out. (or take about $500 off the price so you have the $$ to pay for them yourself)

Your only recourse may be to take it to dealership to have radio unlocked. Dont forget to INSIST that they give you the radio code when they are done.

======SAFE MODE INSTRUCTIONS============================

* Turn on radio -- the word "SAFE" will be displayed.

* First press the MODE button and then press the SCAN button and hold them down simultaneously until "1000" appears in the frequency display. Release the buttons. Do not, under any circumstance, continue holding the buttons down or press them once again. This would cause the radio to take the number "1000" as the code number.

* Using the first four radio station buttons, enter the code number found on your Radio Card. Use button 1 to set the first digit of the four digit code, button 2 to set the second digit, etc. The first digit of a four digit code must be "1". If your code number has three digits, the first digit on display must be set blank.

* Once the code is shown on the display, press and hold the MODE button and SCAN button simultaneously until the word "SAFE" appears in the frequency display. Release the buttons. A radio station frequency will automatically be displayed. The radio will now play once again.

If, when cancelling the electronic lock-up, a wrong code number is entered by mistake, the word "SAFE" will appear in the frequency display first blinking, and then continuous.

You can now repeat the entire cancelling procedure but only once. The number of attempts will be shown in display.

If the wrong code number should be entered again, your radio will be locked up for approximately one hour. The radio will not play. Leave the radio switched on. After an hour, you can cancel the electronic lock-up as previously described.

This cycle, two attemps - one hour lock-up continues again.
  • I just leased a 2007 VW Jetta 2.5 that is equipped with an MP3 player, or at least I thought it was an MP3 player. It may just be MP3 readable CD player. The salesperson pointed to a spot in the glove compartment and said that is where I'd hook up the MP3 player, but she really didn't know much more than that. Can anyone help? I have an iPod that I'd love to be able to connect through this device, I am really just clueless on how to use any part of this MP3.
    I find it interesting that some people think an "ipod" can play "mp3" files.

Too bad an "ipod" does not really play "mp3" files... an "ipod" only plays only the special propriatory files which Apple has licence for. (quicktime files)
  • I appreciate your reply, but I'm really looking for helpful comments here, not condescending ones. According to the experts at Apple, "The iPod is an MP3 player and so is your stereo. If you want to connect the iPod to the stereo, you need a USB port or a 3.5MM aux jack on the stereo." Therefore, if anyone has any more information on how to do this, I would appreciate it.
    Your contention that there are "experts" at Apple is itself questionable. As you have learned - the SALES people will say almost anything to get you to spend your money. Beleive me, an iPod DOES NOT store nor play MP3 files. (no matter what they say) And your stereo dosent giva a crap what the "source" of the music is. So a stereo is NEVER a 'player' of MP3 files.

Now on to your original question:

If the owners manual for your car audio system does not mention the ability to play/control a music device, then it most likely does not have that ability built-into it.

If your current car radio does NOT have this built-into it... There are several "options" for folks that wish to listen to the music from their iPods on a VW.

In order of cost; (also better fidelity as you move up)
    1) FM transmitter.
    2) Basic "cut in" to the antenna wire.
    3) Possible conneciton (replacement) to the trunk-mounted CD player/music-stroage device.

The #3 above has the ability to CONTROL an iPod which can be hidden away in the glovebox. You would have access to the playists and some other features of the iPod right from the radio controls. (The radio "thinks" it is controling a trunk-mounted CD player)

Here is how I would approach it.
    1) Go back to that salesman and insist that they show you how to use the "bill of goods" they sold you.
    2) Read your cars owners manual from cover-to-cover at least twice. (There are features that you dont even know about!!)
    3) Spend some time in a "Best Buy" or "Circuit City" in the car-audio section. They are TRAINED to sell you somthing that works. (and install it too)
    ...but beware - in the end they are SALES people and I often catch them trying to give me a line of crap. Given I am trained in electronics and computers - I can tell when they are feeding me BS. (Apparently, you may not fare as well)
  • Hello. I also have a 2007 Volkswagen Jetta and use my iPod with my car. I also happen to be a Volkswagen Sales Consultant. in order to plug your iPod into your car you have two options. Your first is to buy a cheep 1/8" stereo plug and it will plug into the jack inside the glovebox. Your other option is to go to your local dealer and have them put the iPod adapter in. The iPod adapter will not only let you control your iPod from the stereo but also charge it. Hope this helps.
  • Yep - you guessed it - the radio antenna on my 1992 Jetta took it on the chin going through the car wash. Before I rush to replace it, though, I want to ask the forum experts a few questions - I want to make an informed decision about replacing the antenna. 1] Can I just get away with buying a replacement antenna without having to also replace the cable and the fender mounting and all the parts? If yes, how do I do that? 2] Can I get an antenna that I can actually remove (no, not retract, I mean remove) before going thru the car wash. 3] If your answer is no, can I get a short little antenna that's not as susceptible to the fury of the car-wash? Now, if you all can email me, that would be great, as I'd
    to get some sort of response pretty quickly. Thank you.
  • When I turn on the car, evertything lights up and works except the radio. I had a completely dead battery, had a new installed a couple months ago and there were no problems. Recently, the temps got super cold here and my battery completely died. I had the car jumped and they accidently crossed the hookups. I checked the #42 fuse and it was blown out with some white residue around it. I put a new fuse in and it still not working. What other fuses should I check besides the drivers side fuse box? This is not the SAFE issue since the radio doesn't turn on at all. The security light does not even blink. Any suggestions?
  • Not sure if this a problem but sometimes when I start my car, my XM radio starts up with the "PREVIEW" channel, which is channel #1 instead of the last station I left it on. It doesn't always do this so I'm not sure what causes this behaviour. I haven't really tracked whether it only happens overnight or short trips. I'm wondering if anyone out has the same issue. It has exhibited this behaviour from day one and the radio memory was updated once while it was in for service. I will ask about it at next service but sometimes the dealers seem clueless when you ask them about what is and isn't normal.
  • "Can anyone solved my XM radio problem? XM is playing and I turn off motor and leave car. On return when I start car the radio display says "NO SAT RADIO". After several minutes I can get the XM to work. Dealer has swaped out the XM modul in trunk. Any thoughts?"

I have never experianced that issue but occasionaly when I start my car, it reverts back to the preview channel. Not sure if we have the same radio but I have a 2005 2.5 "NEW" Jetta radio without NAV.
  • Hi! I was shocked to find someone else who is having the same problem as I am. I replaced all the fuses that were blown after I had to jump start my car ( exactly the same situation ) and now the radio is still dead. I can't get it to turn on at all however the rest of the cars electrical system seems to be functioning perfectly. If I figure it out I will let you know. Do you have a 200W Monsoon Amp as part of your OEM Audio system? I do and I was wondering if maybe the Amp has a seperate fuse that may be blown and is causing the problem. :confuse:
  • mdl70mdl70 Posts: 3
    Beleive me, an iPod DOES NOT store nor play MP3 files. (no matter what they say)

What are you talking about? Obviously you have never looked at the tech specs for them -- let alone use one. So all the MP3 files....yes, MP3....I have on my current iPod aren't there? They don't exist? I'm not talking about what I've purchased from iTunes. These are the MP3s I've ripped from ~100 CDs.

Given I am trained in electronics and computers - I can tell when they are feeding me BS. (Apparently, you may not fare as well)

Apparently you are not trained in all electronics. Please do some research.

FYI, here's what the iPod does play:

AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV
  • Thanks for clearing that up for us ;)

BTW WRT my Jetta Stereo... It was just a fuse in the dash behind the deck. The dealership just pulled the deck out of the dash and replaced the fuse for me today. No charge! :blush: Thank you Hammer Lane VW, Stockton, CA... I will not take my car anywhere else, and that is a promise. You Rock!!! :D