Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Audio/Entertainment Questions

Comments

• ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 154
    What are people paying to renew their satellite radio? I have been on the XM/Sirius web site and some of there prices are crazy. Are there any deals that can be had???
    I have heard of a $77.00 per year special they are running but don't know the code to use.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    The deal is called the winback deal. Just ask for the winback deal. Might call a couple of dealers. For sirius there isn't a Winback deal. XM can use the winback promotion.
    Thank you.
  • Just recently picked up an 09 Jetta TDI wagon. Love the car. But...I have 2 other cars with XM versus Sirius. In digging around the net (Google is your friend...), I see that there is an XM receiver that appears to be a drop in alternative for the Sirius decoder in past years. Now, I know that SIR bought out XM, and so forth. But, I like (or am more used to...) the XM selections and offerings.

So..has anyone made the switch? I've got the 6 CD changer/AM/FM/Sat radio that's standard with the Sportwagen TDI; is the receiver that's been bandied about been tried on the latest models and has anyone had success with the swap?

I know I can take the spare XM Commander I de-installed from my trade-in and mount it under the back floor, stick the chicklet on the roof and run cables to the aux audio in jack in the armrest; I'm kind of looking for a more integrated solution.

Thoughts?

Thanks

BB
    09 Sportwagen TDI
    Life in the fast lane, with a DIESEL of all things...:)
  • On our 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI we have the same instruction in the owners manual. We found that a quick touch of the CD button toggles between the CD and the AUX input.
  • Please help!- Does anyone know the code for the radio when it goes into "safe" mode. 99 Volks. Jetta
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    It is in the owners manual when the vehicle was purchased new. The salesman should have reviewed the security code and the Keycode with you before you drove off the lot.

If you are unlucky enough to NOT have the code in the owners manual, then the radio needs to be removed and VW dealer can use the serial# from the radio to lookup the securitycode in their computer.
  • i find it funny how confident you are in your answer even though you are completely WRONG! If you have ever owned an ipod you would know that it will store and play MP3 files as well as AAC, WAV, MOV, MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, and AIFF files. You can look for your self
    http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/specs.html
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    You are getting confused with the word "supports".

Unless somthing has changed, an iPod device only *stores* music in the AAC format....no matter what format it is stored on your hard drive. The "iTunes" software does this for you under the covers. (during the 'conversion' part of the sequence)

The document you reference says it "supports" the other formats. This is accomplised via the iTunes software doing the "support" (by way of converting the files to AAC as they are sent to the iPod device)... not the iPod device itself.

And yes - I breifly owned a G3 iPod... it would only charge via a firewire connection to my computer, (would not NOT charge via USB!!) the battery was not user-replacable and the hard drive crashed. Apple informed me it would cost more than a new iPod to replace the hardDrive. I learned my lesson about Apple products and do not anticipate ever owning another one.
    For the 2009 model with Nav you will need 000 051 446 C which is the iPod cable for the Media-In interface. Supports both iPod and iPhone. Touch models also work. Charges the iPod/iPhone while driving. Your dealer should be able to order it and you can google the part number and find it as well. Should be around 40 to 80 USD but most people are getting for 50 to 55 USD.
  • I recently purchased my Jetta, and I am trying to get Sirius radio. Anybody know how to get the ID number to activate. The people at Sirius SUCK and could not help me. I tried to set it to 00. but no id number appears... anybody else with this trouble??
    When we purchased our Jetta last year the dealer had everything set up for us. Have you checked with your dealer???
  • pengwinpengwin Posts: 74
    check the trunk, there's a receiver mounted inside the ceiling of the trunk, maybe it has the info you need.
  • This is so not true. You have no idea what you are talking about. The iTunes does not transcode into AAC before syncing with the iPod.

The iPod merely copies the files from the iTunes library. It does not convert them to AAC unless you specifically tell it to compress them to a smaller size before syncing.

Don't correct people if you don't know what you are talking about.
    It uses 4 random letter names for the files. All iPod files are MP3 but AAC files are probably kept AAC.
  • What function does the iPod adapter provide vs the aux input? Can you control the iPod from the steering wheel? If the car doesn't had the adapter can it be added later?

Thanks
    Bluetooth can now be a factory option on a Jetta with nav. The kit does work on non nav units though. Option code is 9W3 and 09 Jetta TDI's and possibly even SEL's can order it. Bluetooth requires a MFSW and a highline cluster which only TDI, and SEL's have. TDI wagon owners will have to retrofit the MFSW in order to have it fully working which is very expensive. $275 is the price of the unit and it's pretty nice.
  • Well,now that I have my 09 TDI sedan with IPOD adapter for several weeks I can answer my own question! The car does NOT have the Navigation option. There' little value in the $200 IPOD adapter. Best that can be said is that it charges the ipod. Basically, it makes your ipod look like an external 6 disk CD changer. I grouped my favorite songs into 5 playlists that represent the 5 'CDs'. There's no track name displayed except 'Track x'. The 'Mix' function doesn't seem like it's very random, First song in the playlist/CD always plays first. This may be an ipod problem, not sure. Anyway, the standard aux-in would have been fine.
    VW is working on next gen radios that will work with the MDI. The RCD-310 and RCD-510 can't come fast enough. The RCD-510 looks a lot like the RNS-510 but has no HDD, and no Navigation feature. It does have a 6 CD changer but you can't play DVD's on it. One of them is called Premium 8. Once they come out you'll be able to retrofit the MDI and get full integration. You must buy a special iPod cable though.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,703
    You should have gotten 3 months of trial radio service. Your dealer is supposed to see that this is all set up at vehicle pick up. Unless your 08 was not a "new" car. I had both my cars that I leased the same day activated and ready to go. One car has XM and the other has Surius.
    I am not sure where to get the code. But, take it to your dealer to get it set up for you. They should go over it with you.