Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will There Be A New Baja?

If Subaru does build a new Baja for 2008, do y'all think they would build it off of the Tribeca or would it be built off of one their other cars or would it be it's own thing.

Comments

• Subaru shares all of its platforms, except the Beca.

Impreza and Forester are on the same platform.

Outback and Legacy are on the same platform.

If I had to guess, there won't be a new Baja. But my hope would be that it would at least be on the latest Ouback platform, but better (for market demands) on the Beca platform.

I have stopped holding my breath though, Subaru most likely would have annnouced something this spring. Next month (supposedly) is the last month of Baja production. Bajas may be hard to find, and may go at a premium, come the fall of 2006.

John
  • JOHN,

WHERE ARE YOU GETTING INFO ON BAJA DISCONTINUANCE?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    not me, I am not spreading this rumor. Bob mentioned it in a blog a month or so ago (regarding Toyota taking over one of Subaru's production lines).

I hope it is still continued, with a few minor modifications such as getting rid of the moonroof, I would trade in my Forester.

John
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    from a Subie salesman over at nabisco/LegacyGT.com...

SOA Legacy wagon sales, year to date = 1856

SOA Baja sales, year to date = 1859

Yet, they are keeping the Legacy wagon, but have killed the Baja...

Obviously the Legacy wagon sales do not include Outback models. This guy hinted that if Legacy wagon sales don't pick up, that the only Legacy wagon we may see in the future will be wearing an Outback badge. I have no idea how much truth there is to that statement. I suspect he may have heard that from someone at SOA, but that's just a guess...

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Outback sedan sales are even lower, though.

Thing is, they have all the molds, body panels, so it doesn't cost much to keep making them.

Also, Subaru made a mistake when they dropped the manual trans Legacy GT wagon.

-juice
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    well, maybe they need to rev up the Baja again. It has to be looking pretty good at $3 per gallon, and no other small pickups available (except the Ranger, and that should be dead in the water a long time ago).

John
  • How Sad that the Baja is going away...I have a 2003 Outlander and was looking at vehicles tonight...finally found one I could love, the Baja..a SUV with a truck bed, that looks really cool and gets good gas mileage and they do away with it. We can only hope that before the Outlander dies, they will make another Baja.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    the Baja did not have the lower body cladding and oversized foglights I believe it would have had increased sales. The styling was very polarizing.
    Overall, the Baja was a pretty neat vehicle and I'm sad to see it go.
    ...that a new Baja may be in the works. This came from a dealer who heard it from other Subaru insiders. If it happens, Toyota may help them with factory space according to this guy. ...No, it won't be a rebadged Toyota truck if it happens.

Bob
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    A new Baja would be cool. Maybe by that time my wife will get her license and can take over the Outback. In which case there is no hurry from SOA :D .I've always thought of a Baja as a second vehicle would be fun.

Mark
    If so, I hope they base it on a stretched (yes, stretched) Tribeca platform.

Build a Ridgeline that isn't hideous looking, basically. Ridgeline is wonderfully functional but scares my kids from any angle.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Absolute agreement here. The Ridgeline is functional enough that I actually considered it despite its hideous appearance. My wife, however, was not so forgiving. ;)
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    They could put on a toyota plastic bed like the Taco has.

-mike
  • The Baja unfortunatly did not sell well at all. Even for us in New England. It is such a limited market. Subaru missed the mark with advertising. It happens. You won't see another one in a while. Currently Subaru has been discussing Convertibles and Hybrids.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I haven't heard anything about a convertible at all on my end. Hybrids probably will come from the toyota side of the house.

-mike
    The other day someone pointed out the Tacoma crew cab is a whopping 208" plus in length.

The Baja was, what, two feet shorter?

They should have stretched the wheelbase. As it was, both the bed and the interior were too small.
    Tacoma length? It's no different than other comparable trucks.

Bob
    Correct, but what I'm saying is that the Baja was a lot shorter than any other crew cab, and that Subaru should have stretched the wheelbase somewhat over the Legacy.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,583
    G'day

My guess is that it was the wrong product from the outset. Holden, GM's subsidiary in Australia also did a very good crew-cab in the previous generation of Commodore Ute. However nunbers sold have not warranted its continuation in the next generation Commodore. That is a real pity for the users who love it, particularly Police Forces who routinely run them with a small, washable, arrest van on the rear tray.

The supposed inspiration for the Baja was the original Brumby (Brat to you) which was a much smaller and supremely agile ute, much loved by farmers, rural workers and many off road users here in Australia. It would go places you would not beleive and used ones are still highly valued thirty years after its introduction.

The closest I could come to something similar would be a Two door Forester Ute. Now that would sell, Down Under!

Cheers

Graham
    I do hope Subaru brings back the Baja. Basing it off the next-generation Forester—and with the new boxer diesel and dual-range tranny, might not be a bad idea.

Bob