Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 460 Owner Experiences

Comments

• jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Have you looked at the new Infiniti M series cars?
  • aklein2aklein2 Member Posts: 18
    No. What I've done now is drive and agree to buy the LS 460 Sport. They must have had me in mind when they put it out there. The Sport has a seriously different suspension, one that, driven in the "sport" suspension mode, did way more than correct the bad impression I had of the standard car's setup. (One can adjust it to a softer setting if road surface conditions are truly bad -- but I can't see doing that otherwise.) In the Sport I was much more certain that I would know what the car would do under stress -- it was steady as a rock in turns at speed and has huge, effective brakes. At the same time it made the car feel lighter on its feet. Acceleration lag remains to a degree, but seemed less so than in the standard versions. I continue to think that this is somehow connected to the new eight gear transmission and that, once I get more used to that and what can be done with it, this will improve. I am not mechanically knowledgeable, so I have no idea, really. Steering is still pretty numb, too, more so than in my LS 430, but that really doesn't affect driver confidence in his or her command of what is going on. Lastly, the car feels much faster than the Edmunds reviewer tells you it is. (Is it? Have no idea. But I think it is.) Last, had to make them give me all-weather tires since the summer tires it comes with are useless (and flat-out dangerous) in snow. What I mostly wanted was to escape the body roll and handling issues that, to me, afflict the standard version. I think I've succeeded with the Sport. Final remark: these cars certainly don't get any cheaper as time goes by. And I fear that the Sport will never be sold at much of a discount.
  • alex_888alex_888 Member Posts: 2
    Hello -- Can someone with Manheim access please post a list of recent 2007 LS 460 SWB sales? Manheim PA, if possible ?
    Thank you in advance.
  • ccardanccardan Member Posts: 2
    BEWARE!!
    One month ago I had the recall for my 08 LS 460 completed on this vehicle that I enjoyed as a lease for three years. A few days later I had to drive the vehicle 1500 miles each way with my three children to visit my ailing 90 year old Grandmother. Late the first day the vehicle started hesitating, couldn't accelerate past 60 mph or it would not go any faster. loud noise from engine, without panel notification. When I arrived at my destination I immediately brought it to a Lexus dealer and was told " the recall parts were defective and we have to replace the left lifter that's bleeding." They had the car for three days. When I returned to pick it up I was told " the previous Lexus dealership broke your radiator overflow tab and super glue it so we reinforced with superglue/epoxy but you will need a new radiator when you return home. In SHOCK I stated " A 72 K Lexus repaired with super glue?? That's unacceptable and I will complain with an investigation. Will my children and I be safe traveling back 1500 miles?" I was assured "Yes".

Needless to say the second day while I was driving on the highway where there was construction and no breakdown lane the engine overheated, panel warnings on, smoke. We jumped out of the vehicle called Lexus immediately and when we lifted the hood antifreeze was all over the engine and the hose was broken sticking up in the air. We were stranded for three hours and the vehicle was towed to the nearest dealership 50 miles where it still sits after 3 weeks and I'm still responsible for this lease that expired 2 weeks ago without any vehicle. I'm VERY thankful my children and I are safe from this ordeal. I wanted everyone to be aware of these very dangerous repairs, incompetence, negligence without compensation except for a $1500 credit for lease/purchase that was issued regarding the initial recall, NOT the ordeal my family went through, and continue to go through without resolve.
  • dcwalkerdcwalker Member Posts: 29
    That does not make me feel warm and fuzzy. My car is currently at the dealer having the valve springs replaced, and I might ad, they did not send me a recall notice. I had to bug them until they ageed to do the replacement.

Your experience confirms what I have felt for several years about the competence of the Lexus dealership mechanics. As I have said on this sight before, if the problem does not show up on their computer screens, they all stand around and scratch their collective heads while thumbing through their service bulletins praying for some light to be shed on the subject. I wish I could say it was any different at the German dealerships, but not. Too much money to pay for an automobile for this kind of grief. I am still in shock that they are going to have to replace valve springs because of a supposed metal defect, not just in the LS but many other models. Please.

P.S.
    Love my Cheverolet pickup. Would not trade it straight accross for another LS.
  • smithgsmithg Member Posts: 9
    THIS IS NOT GOOD!!! I still have to take mine in for service. Ccardan, was this a small dealership or not. I have hesitation about having a dealership perform this service if they only do one or two. Am so sorry about what happened.
  • ccardanccardan Member Posts: 2
    All three Large dealerships. Thanks
  • mooheadmoohead Member Posts: 3
    Yes! Lexus better listen up. I have owned and driven 400, 430 and 460. I would say 430 is the best LS ever, I am displeased with 460 very much, I think my next car probably is going to be the Hyundai Equus.
  • rivergaterivergate Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2007 LS 460L and have gone through four batteries. The dealer suggests I get a trickle cell charger for the car or drive it more. I cannot go on vacation and leave it at the ariport. The car has 26000+ miles and is a pleasure to drive (nicer than the 2003 LS 430). I never see posts on the problem and wonder if it is just my car. They claim the battery drain is normal due to all the electronics.
  • edarteedarte Member Posts: 41
    Well I have a 2009 LS460 SWB and I left it for almost five weeks recently and it started up right away when I returned. I am not aware of any common problems with the battery in the LS. Check out the "clubLexus" web site where you should find the info you are looking for.
  • nick2007ls460lnick2007ls460l Member Posts: 3
    My 2007 LS460L (touring package) does the same thing. My car is currently at the dealer to have the valve spring recall fix completed and I mentioned this problem. I will post the outcome when I get the car back. Sorry to hear you are experiencing this problem but I am glad to know I am not alone.
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    My parents are visiting me in the Florida panhandle in their 2008 LS460. This is my dad's 5th Lexus and he stated clearly, his last. At purchase, the radio reception was horrible. After multiple dealer visits, they replaced the receiver module in the dash, after waiting weeks for the parts. A dead battery a couple months ago was blamed on a dome light being left on, although the doors supposedly close themselves and the battery is supposed to have rundown protection. Last month the recall for the top-end overhaul due to bad valve springs, supposedly with an extended engine warranty to 100k, although no document has shown up yet. Finally, New Years weekend the drivers seatbelt would not latch. Looking closely it appears the lighted portion of the latch broke off and has jammed the mechanisim. A weekend e-mail to Lexus resulted in an auto-reply stating a representative would contact me shortly. The nearest Lexus dealer is 100 miles away in Mobile AL, they advised me to bring it in, leave it, they'd order parts and I could pick it up when ready. His Atlanta dealer told him he could take it to a Toyota dealer they'd order the parts and he'd have to pay for the repair. Lexus would "probably" reimburse him if he mailed in the paperwork. As mentioned by other posts, none of this is the expectation of a 75k car, nor indicative of any "relentless pursuit of perfection". My expectation would have been that Lexus would have sent either a driver or flatbed with a loaner to replace dad's car while the seatbelt was repaired. The lack of regard for safety as well as local seatbelt laws is not acceptable in a 20k Kia, let alone a 75k Lexus.
    Sorry to report that the dealer told me there was nothing wrong with the brakes but they did "adjust" them. I have not had the problem in the past weeks so maybe this fixed the issue. Will post again if I have anything else to add.
    I had the valve spring recall completed on my 07 LS460L and am now experiencing sluggish acceleration. The day after getting the car back I was making a right turn onto a busy street and needed to aggressively merge into traffic. To my surprise the car barley moved at all and I was almost hit. After avoiding that potential disaster, I entered an inclined freeway on-ramp and gave it some gas. The engine strained and would not accelerate but the revs kept slowly climbing. Once I finally reached freeway speeds everything seemed fine. Coming back home I had to enter the freeway again but there was a Scion XA next to me so I floored the car to pass him up the on-ramp but to my surprise I was not able to pass this little car and had to break off my attempt to pass. Again the revs did climb slowly but did not seem to be putting any power down to accelerate. This was very frustrating that my 380 hp car could not get in front of a 115 roller skate.

I called the service adviser at the dealer who told me the transmission was reset and is now learning how I drive. This sounds very strange to me and I am not sure I like a transmission making decisions for me, I thought that is what the gas pedal is used for.

I will be bring the car back for a full check up and would appreciate any insight from you if you have experienced similar acceleration issues.
    Hey, I am still trying to get over that fact that this 70+ thousand dollar car needed a complete set of valve springs.

You have hit the two biggest problems with this car right on the head. The computer trys to learn how it is the driver is driving and then makes adjustments, I guess. That is why the car never drives the same way twice, at least for me. My wife and I both drive the car. The computer is always confused. LOL The dimwits who designed this system should be shot.

The other problem is the 8 speed transmission. At highway speeds, it is fine. At slow speeds in traffic, it shifts too often and at the wrong times. They cannot correct these flaws. You take it to the dealer and it is operating as designed. Of course it is! Anyone out there want a 2007 LS460?
  • smithgsmithg Member Posts: 9
    I am getting anxious about taking my car in for the recall. Am scheduled for next week. Anybody had it performed at Lexus of Orlando? Would like to know what your experiences have been in how the car performed afterward, and how long did it take. Also, what kind of rental did they give you. thanks for the info. I don't know why a $70K car should need this anyway.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    After reading these comments, I am amazed! My dealer (Lexus of Las Vegas) must truly be exceptional. I have had 3 LS', and since 2002 their customer service has always amazed me at how excellent it is. I always get a free Lexus loaner, they have always taken care of whatever I needed, also fixed the little dings on the car for me for very little money, washed the car well, and treated me with amazing respect and courtesy. It's one reason I keep going back. I've never been treated better at any dealership. Currently have a 2009 LS460, and have had no problems at all after 25,000 miles. Very happy with the car and the dealer. :blush:
    I am sure there are many who have positive experiences with their dealers. That may speak to the fact that you have been fortunate not to have some of the same mechanical issues others have had. I don't believe your 2009 is part of the valve spring recall and probably not part of a number of other issues that have been corrected in later versions of the LS since 2007. Having used three different dealerships in dealing with my own issues, I can tell you that none of them were able to duplicate my experiences or find something on their computers that would indicate I had an issue. Either I am crazy, or my 48 years of enthusiasm for all things automobile were not worth much. There is no doubt in my mind that many of the issues I have with my LS are issues that the company cannot fix. Thus, they give lip service to their warranty and hope that there are more people who are not quite as picky as I am.
    You're right about the mechanics of today, they're all just computer technicians, and if the light's not on, there's no code, therefore no problem. My only two problems I ever had with my prior LSes, were Lexus Link, and the Magic Steering Wheel, both of which throw no codes, but were obvious problems. They fixed them with no problem. I don't doubt you have issues, nor do I doubt your experience with the dealers at all.
  • houstondriverhoustondriver Member Posts: 5
    I have read about the "Executive Seats" which I think recline with a footrest. I looked thru the Lexus web site and can't tell exactly how you get this. It says it comes in a package but I can't find where it says what package. Package C is $9,200 and does not mention this but is the most expensive one. Anyone know whether Package C includes these seats?
    I think you get those in the L model. May take a special package, but it would only be in the L.
  • houstondriverhoustondriver Member Posts: 5
    If you get this are the back seats "bucket" seats such that you can only have 4 passengers, or does the center console fold away so that you could still have 5?
  • camryloyalistcamryloyalist Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased a 2008 CPO LS460L. A few questions: does Lexus provide a cargo mat for trunk or do you only get it yourself aftermarket? Rear rotors were rusted pretty good. Dealer claims they tried to clean them but "rotor was rusted through" and when they cleaned them they didnt come very clean. They look terrible. Should I push the dealer harder? I tried and he offered to buy the car back but refused to try cleaning any harder or replace rotor ("several thousand $$"). Finally, I just noticed some small wind noise at high speeds from driver side window? Am I missing something?
    The Cargo Mat is optional, or can be purchased from Lexus Accessories after.

The Brakes are not impaired from the rust, and depending upon the wetness of your climate, may diminish with use. Unless you are in the rain belt.

They all have a little wind noise from the driver's window at high speed. My 09 does it too. It's not terrible for me, I can live with it for all of the beauty, quality and features of the car. But even if it really tweaks you, there is nothing that can be done so far.
  • edarteedarte Member Posts: 41
    There is a solution for the wind noise (go to clublexus web site and search for jmcraney.
  • aboabedaboabed Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I too have the same problem, have you got any cure to it.
    Thanks
  • roccodas5roccodas5 Member Posts: 1
    I have dealt with Lexus Of Las Vegas and Im very upset with how they conduct their business. They claim to do 161 points inspection to make a vehicle certified (CPO). I have several friends who bought CPO from them and it always turned out to have major problems. I had the same experience with them. This dealership is cutting corners. Dont buy anything from them !
  • alawoodalawood Member Posts: 3
    My Dealer tell me the ping is from the fuel pump.
    well, ok, but the fuel pump is in the rear inside the fuel tank, so I rather think the injector story makes more sense.
    I pressure injectors are the cause of the noise. The cause of the problem is Lexus engineers.
  • barrysantabarrysanta Member Posts: 1
    My LS 460 has 9600 miles on it. Since 1000 miles it has had a ping at idle..600rpm and up to 1000 rpm. It comes and goes. The sound is more like a high pitch "teek teek teek" above the normal engine noise. It sounds like it is coming from just in front of the firewall. Almost like a rattle or precombustion....or valve lifters or transmission bypass valve knocking.
    Ive had it in 5 times. Does it in forward and reverse but not park. Seems to kick in when there is a light load in the driveline and the rpm drops to a minimum 60 :mad: :lemon: 0.
    A mechanic told me the materials Lexus uses have changed over the years to more economic ones...and the engines are not as problem free as in the past.
    Do you think I should go the lemon law route? I live in CA. The new car is 10 months old.
    Been the Lemon Law route. Failed. They were so impressed with the LS, they could hear nothing. Total waste of my time. Your noise is high pressure injector noise. Comes and goes. Lexus won't fix it because they don't know how. Like everything else that goes wrong with the LS. I sold mine three months ago. Got tired of hearing the same answers every time I took it in for something. I gave the LS 18 years of loyalty only to be given the finger by Lexus. No more.
    Turn up the radio! You have to listen so closely to hear that tick, it is nothing to worry about, nothing wrong, and you dump your car or call it a lemon because of that? I've had all kinds of luxury cars, including Mercedes. None were better, certainly none were as efficient as the Lexus. And I don't know what "mechanic" told you Lexus is using cheaper engines, but he's talking through his butt. The 460 gets better mileage than the 430 did, and has 100 more hp! I say, bring on the ticking injectors! I'll turn the radio up for that kind of improvement and technology.
    Since you referred to "You Guys", I will opine. Having raced cars and worked on them for a living for part of my life, I think I understand the mechanics of these things a little better than the average Joe. You are right. There is nothing wrong with high pressure injectors. What is wrong is that Lexus sells this automobile as being the quietest car on the planet. When the windows make more wind noise than a pickup truck and gasoline engines start sounding like a diesel, then one might correctly complain that Lexus has an issue. Worse yet, they can't be honest enough to tell their patrons that the noise you are hearing is the noise of high pressure injectors. I had to tell them. As for myself, I have also owned most of the other "luxury" sedans you mentioned, including the LS for 18 years. I have been driving every kind of car on the planet in the past 50 years and I can tell you one thing. I have never had a car company have to replace both side door windows, rebuild the seats, replace all of the valve springs, replace the injector fuel rails, replace the brake actuator, and a handful of more minor issues, all within 40,000 miles. I would wish you good luck with your LS, but you have a radio. That should do the job.
    You are prone toward hyperbole, aren't you? :P Having had none of those issues with my 09, my 05, and my 02 LSes, and tens if issues with my 03 S-Class, I'm happy with a little ticking under the hood. And yes, I have the Mark Levinson, best system I've ever had.

All I stated was, the ticking was not a reason to flip out.
  • genec1947genec1947 Member Posts: 4
    I have traded my Ls460no more wind sound brake grabbing no more hard seat no more transmission shift up no down or ? no more whistling no more lexus .after15 years
  • jackscottjackscott Member Posts: 8
    What has experience with Lexus shown to be a great tire. I have Dunlop tires on a 2008 ls 460L. It is a terrible ride. I expected a much smoother ride. What type of tires would you suggest?
    I have the same issue with the 2008 ls460l. They are changing the strip on the passenger side. We will see if that works.
    I have Pirellis on mine, I think the ride is fine.
  • jmcraneyjmcraney Member Posts: 19
    Is the "same issue" you are referring to the wind noise/whistling that affects many of the 07-10 LS460s and LS600s?
    Bravo!
  • genec1947genec1947 Member Posts: 4
    goodreply who buys a$ 75.000 car to turn up the radio to cover up its noise.
    yes, i took it to the dealer but the fix was only temp. I expected the vehicle to be supper quiet.
  • jmcraneyjmcraney Member Posts: 19
    There is a permanent DIY solution for most of the "wind noise" problems. Check here: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls460-ls460l-and-ls600h/506217-instructions-for-- the-jmcraney-wind-noise-fix.html
  • apdxykapdxyk Member Posts: 6
    Not only it will take care of the pinging sound, it may also jam wind noise and an occasional police car siren. And the more DYI projects the better for the luxury car segment. This way these banking Presidents and CEOs will be immune from disconnect from Reality. Very characteristic for your industry of late..
    Thank you, dcwalker and others. You just saved me tonnes of money and aggravation..
    This way these banking Presidents and CEOs will be immune from disconnect from Reality.

Hey! While I am proud of my "disconnect from reality", (reality being a Saturn), I do know which end of the mower to push, ok? :shades:

HOWARD WILLIAMS
    CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
    B A N K OF XXXXXXXXX
    VICE CHAIRMAN AND CEO
    XXXX C O M M E R C E B A N K
  • klex460klex460 Member Posts: 2
    (12/30/11) I traded in my 2001 BMW 740il on Thanksgiving weekend, for a certified preowned 2010 Ls460. I made the switch based on consumer reports ratings, talking to a few owners of lexus vehicles and price conparison on repairs. After owning the vehicle for about a month and i have put about 400 miles on it, I can say that im quite pleased with my decision so far. It isn't as heavy as the beamer, but it has more bells an whisles than I will ever use. I am looking forward to putting it on the road from the Houston area to visit relatives in Louisiana in a couple of weeks. I will keep you posted. :)
    Having owned and driven both, I can predict you'll be happy with the quiet, the creature comforts, ride, handling is "good", and it will get you there with nothing failing to work. BUT, you'll miss the "driver's" feature of the BMW. There is a difference in handling that's difficult to describe, but you know it when you feel it. The Bimmer handles better than anything else I have driven in that class. If the Bimmer would stay out of the shop, I'd drive one. But the total cost to drive one is horrendous!
  • aardmanaardman Member Posts: 14
    I have to disagree with you on two issues. First, I too am experiencing the engine noise and have been told by Lexus first it was injector noise and subsequently it was mechanical fuel pump noise. It seems Lexus can't agree among themselves what the issue really is. I took a new 2011 out to see if it made the same noise and it did not. I replaced the recommended 0-30 oil with 10-30 and the noise seems reduced by about 30% i would estimate. This leads me to believe in the fuel pump theory. As for accepting this noise, that is total hogwash. I also have a ls 430 which is quiet, no such noise and by the way to your second point, gets better mileage, by about 1 to 2 mpg than my 460 in the same driving pattern. I first thought this might be due to the 460 not being broken in but the differential in mpg continues now that the 460 is broken in.

I am about to escalate the 460 noise problem with Lexus corporate, as the local dealer is able to do nothing for me. I feel that I have given them plenty of time to resolve the issue.
    I had two 430s, the 460 does much better on fuel and I haven't moved. It's a fact. Maybe mine is extraordinary, but I doubt it since the reviews on the 460 when it came out also corroborated the increase in mileage over the 430, as well at the extra horsepower - remarking, "how they do that"?

Didn't know they had a mechanical fuel pump???? WTF? Haven't seen one of those since my 1981 Fairmont!!

Still could care less about the click. Once I knew it was normal, and not a problem, I tune it out. It's what I do. Have much bigger issues in my life.

Go get an S-Class. Will be in for lots of malfunctions - but is quieter.