Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Navigation System

Comments

• rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    The 05 LS is so similar to the 04 that the update procedure must surely be the same. But don't sue me if I'm wrong :-)
  • jerry5505jerry5505 Posts: 13
    I received a card in the mail which informed me the new map update is available from the Lexus dealer for only $265 MSRP which I think thats to expensive for the times I use it. Is there a charge from the dealer for installing it?
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    The card has an * (asterisk) indicating there is an installation fee. My dealer indicates it will cost $110 for install.
  • 49er49er Posts: 4
    The buttons on the lcd panel fade and are inactive when I try to enter address data even though the "GPS" indicator is on both before and after trying. The map works but only "home" and the last five locations can be selected to get route data.

Any ideas? Thanks.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    You have to be stopped to enter address data.
    To: rennybosch. I understand I have to be stopped and in Park or Neutral. That is when the condition occurs. I travelled to San Diego this week and found the system works sometimes here, but it did not work in AZ, including Phoenix. Perhaps there is a satellite problem.
    Did you select Mountain Area vs. the West coast area. You have to select the area of the US that you are in.
    Thanks for the response. Yes, the problem occurs when the correct region is selected. Also, when the problem occurs, I cannot "change" the region.
  • edurbinedurbin Posts: 5
    Lexus 430LS 2003 with latest map installed. Is there a way to disable the interlock that prevents the destination from being selected while driving?
    Is there a way to eliminate the legal waiver screen when starting?

Ed
  • abargerabarger Posts: 3
    We bought an off market 7.1 update for our 2002 Lexus SC430 and it loaded with no problems and was working, but 5 minutes later, it's showing disc not found. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I feel like there must be some kind of setting conflict or something. Any ideas?
  • edurbinedurbin Posts: 5
    Try removing the disc, be sure the shiney face is clean and or wash it off, dry it with a lint free rag and reinsert.

Good luck,

Ed
  • flyingjakflyingjak Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 LS 430 and I would like to install more current software in the GPS navigation system. The dealer wants over $400.00 for the most current upgrade. Expensive!! Does anyone know of an after market company that sells software compatible with Lexus Navigation systems?
  • jas5719jas5719 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 LS 430 and had it in for 120,000 mile service yesterday. Last week my Navigation system had posted a message on the screen that is was unable to read the data, check the DVD. My service manager informed me that I needed a new ECU computer chip and DVD. Cost $2400 OUCH! Needless to say I passed. Does anyone know of mechanics, etc in the Central Masschuetts area that work on Lexus's and can tackle this problem for a reasonable price?

Thanks for your help.
    Jerry
  • Why does my LS 430 navigation system continually want to take me off of the highway and take me through local roads? I went from Philadelphia to Baltimore and, obviously, I95 is the way to go but it kept telling me to get off and get onto other roads. Is there a setting to tell it to use highways only and, conversely, use local roads? Thanks!
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    There is a page with settings of route preference such as Allow Toll Roads, Allow Ferry, Allow Major Roads etc.
  • Thanks! I will check it out.
  • Jerry. may be too late, check ebay or do what I did call lexus and asked them to pay half for mine after 3 weeks they offerd 25% I told them i would not except that. They called 3 days later and gave me half ($1600 total cost)
  • I bought a 2006 LS 430, is there a way to override the Nav System so I can input address while the vehicle is moving? Also, how do I get the DVD upgrade for the Navigiation System?
    #7637 of 8240 Re: NAV/Phone quirks [dadcat] by newlexi Oct 04, 2005 (10:17 am) Save | Reply
    Replying to: dadcat (Oct 01, 2005 5:01 pm)

The suggested navigation override procedure (Menu->System Options-> top left -> bottom left-> top left -> bottom left-> bottom right-> override) works in my 2001 LS430. The problem is that it needs to be performed prior to moving otherwise the System Options button is disabled in motion. On my wife's new GS430 it can be performed (a somewhat different procedure) while in motion.
  • what is the procedure for the GS 430?

Ed
    I'll pass on this one, no knowledge or experience with GS 430.
  • I have a 2003, with version 6.1, Press Menu, when the screen comes up with the DVD button in the upper right corner.
    Press DVD,
    On the next screen, Press the upper left corner, lower left corner, upper left corner, lower left,lower right corner.
    A menu comes up.
    Press OVERRIDE until you hear a beep. Then Back.

I have to do this while stopped. It has to be done each time the vehicle is started.
    I have been told to be careful, the other menu choices can reek havoc. So only use the Override.

Good Luck
  • Thanks for your response. Unfortunately it does not work on my LS430 2005 which has the 7.1 version of the map data.

After pressing the DVD button, the screen does not respond to the pressing of the upper and lower corners.

Any more ideas?

Ed
  • timcutimcu Posts: 3
    When I turn on my ignition, the navigation system has a message saying "Unable to read data. Check to see if map DVD is correct". If I try to go into the maintenance screen, I get the same message. All the navigation buttons beep, but dont work. What does this indicate?
    Tim
    I just took the DVD out and the system know I removed it. It knows when the drive door is open or closed. I can read the text file on the DVD from my laptop. It says that it is 2001 ver.1. Is it possible that the DVD is just too old? It worked fine up until 2 days ago. My car is a 2003 Lexus LS430. Are all 430s voice controlled?
    .... the DVD should continue to work as it is not time limited. You can identify the source of the problem by borrowing another disk (if possible). If your system works, then the DVD may be scratched or something else with the DVD itself.

If it still doesn't work, the drive itself needs to be looked at for cleaning or replacement.

Good Luck!
    I think I have narrowed it down to being the drive. Do you have any recommendations on who can clean these thisngs?

Tim
    You could try blowing it out yourself, but you may knock the read head out of alignment. A good local stereo shop can repair it no problem I would think.

You could get a used replacement drive (cheapest option) or a new one from the dealer (very pricey) or hunt one down on the internet, new or used.
  • drarsdrars Posts: 3
    I've had a problem with my NAV in my 2001 LS430 that occurred after a data update. It was not fixed by the subsequent update or replacement of the NAV ECU (computer). All functions seem to work except the system suggests crazy routes. For instance, it plots a route from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe that correctly chooses I-80, but at one spot it directs me to go off the freeway, drive 20 miles down another road that runs more or less perpendicular to I-80, turn around, drive back those 20 miles and return to I-80 at the same intersection where I left I-80. There are many other examples, including selection of a minimum time route that the NAV predicts will take 1 hour longer than when I select maximum freeway driving. I have no avoid points programmed and my settings look OK. The GPS works fine. Has anyone else had such a problem?
    I have had the same crazy route problem since updating the NAV system 2 years ago. Occurs mostly with freeways in two forms: a rougly perpendicular route off and then back on the freeway adding 20 miles or so, or seeming to add a destination 20 miles beyond the designated one and then coming back by the same freeway. Would like to hear any suggestions.