Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Caravan Door & Window Problems

Comments

• This question shouldn't be under windows, but I'll answer anyway. My 02 T&C also makes a sheet-metal rattling sound, only at idle, getting louder. It is worse with the blower on and also w/ AC. Totally gone above 1000 rpm. I can't locate the source using a hose to the ear. With a stethoscope, it seems to come from the AC clutch bearing, but doesn't sound like a bearing. In better weather I'll put it on ramps and take off the serpentine belt to insure.

My current hypothesis is the catalytic converter is broken, i.e. ceramic chips rattling around inside. Reasons:
    1. At higher engine speeds the exhaust gas may hold the chips so they don't rattle.
    2. It sounds exactly like sheet metal raps, but the heat shields are tight.
    3. I read a post where a guy thought valve lifters, but no luck after replacing. I don't want another engine project, so that is not considered.
    4. I had almost the same sound in my 96 Voyager 2.4L several years ago. I finally figured out it must be the catalytic converter, replaced for $200, and the noise disappeared. Also, we had barely passed emissions the time before, but with the new cat emissions were extremely low. Indeed, so near the limit I had to go to a special testing center the 2nd time (strict CA laws).

When I resolve my 02 T&C, I'll post the fix (not under Windows & Doors). Or someone replace their cat conv first and let me know.
  • bas1124bas1124 Posts: 2
    Have had numerous problems with this van.. Motor replaced in side sliding doors.. After 4 visits, replaced motor on back hatch door ..Brakes & rotors replaced at 18000 miles.. Have 37,000 miles on van now.. About once every 3 or mos. the car would start and I have no power to accessories, i.e.. windows, lights, radio.. Mentioned to dealer when I took it in for oil change and they did system updates... Now it's happening 1 -2 times a week, but of course, never when they have it. It does kick back on after 2 or 3 minutes of driving ... I have to agree.. this is a piece of [non-permissible content removed] and always something new going wrong!
  • moosetntmoosetnt Posts: 18
    I hear you. I started having brake problems at 17K miles (I've posted before so you can check it out). Had a full brake job (4 rotors, pads replace) cost $600. Filed a complaint with Chrysler. Still waiting for a check. Back seat still does not work right. Air conditioner not cooling properly. MGIG radio looses info (dealer updated software but I still have problems). BTW: after my brake job at 17K miles I had to have the fronts replaced again after 2K miles (dealer claims brake pads fell apart). I'm starting to think the 2008 T&C was built at the YUGO factory in Yugoslavia. Doors don't close right, brakes suck, seat motors don't work, NAV/radio goes out. Transmission is clunking. WHAT A PIECE OF SHI*$T!!!! I paid over $40K for my van (limited with every option except the engine heater). Unfortunately a lot of the options don't work. I'll keep going back to my dealer to get this crap fixed. This is probably the worst van Chrysler has ever built. WE ARE SUCKERS FOR BUYING THIS CRAP!!!!!!

mk.
  • Purchased 2008 T7C Limited with 2miles (Brand New) in July 2008. Two sets of front disc brakes and rotors in 25,000 almost all highway miles (6 cross USA trips)!!!! Dealer says it's an real problem with this model, yet no help from Chrysler...normal wear and tear???? Check engine light has been on for thousands of miles and although the dealer "fixes" it , the light come back on within a day or so after leaving the dealer --- yet the van seems to run okay!?!?

Chrysler needs to own-up to the brake issue (under-sized brakes for wgt of van) and provide replacement free of charge or with a small deductible!

Other than these issues, the van is superb.

Dr. Thomson
  • judyjewjudyjew Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 dodge grand caravan with door problems. I have had problems with the doors opening by themselves since the day I bought it. I will never buy another dodge. The dealership sucks.
    they say it is impossible for the doors to open by themselves.
  • paintpro75paintpro75 Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I bought a used T&C touring with swivel and go back in January of this year. all was just peachy until I brought the vehicle back to the dealer for a software update that the salesman claimed it "had to have", immediately after, it started making an annoying roaring sound on the highway-but not consistently, it seems to come and go usually at speeds in excess of 65 MPH. I called the service manager as soon as I noticed it and he assured me that they did nothing that would have caused any changes in the vehicle's performance or operation. Ok, now I tell him that I've got nothing better to do with my time but fabricate merit less issues that would allow me MORE time to sit and rot away at the service department's luxury oasis. He tells me to bring the vehicle back so he can test drive it- again this problem is inconsistent, so it may or may not replicate whilst captain butt hole is at the helm. Anyone have a clue what im up against?
  • Not sure where my orginal message went. Intermitlently the temp gauage, speedodmeter and the PRND3L symbols shut down. It can be Ok for months and then act up for days or weeks. The symbols will light up with a square box around each, and occasionally when you hit a bump will all come back to normal operation but not always. The doors locks will lock after 15km speed and occasionaly it will sound as to lock again at higher speeds and the guages will come back to normal operations. Could this be the Body Control Module (BCM) or the Power Control Module (PCM), would a reflash and up date help to resolve this question. Or is this a short and possibly where. Your replies and thoughts would be much appreciated.
  • I also purchased my 2008 T&C Limited brand new in June 2008. I drive a lot of highway miles (1 hour to work), and at 4000 miles my brakes started making noises. Dealership just blew it off numerous times. Finally at 18000 miles, they told me that I only had 10% of brakes and they needed to be replaced ASAP. The dealership ate that and replaced the front brakes. It stopped the noise for about a week and then started in again. I'm at 45000 miles now and am having to get Front AND REAR brakes replaced AND ROTARS!!!! This is CRAZY! I had a yukon for years and never did anything with the brakes! So now the chrysler dealership is closed in the town I live in. The one thing I know is I will NEVER buy another P O S Chrysler!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, it is insane. I have a '98 DGC and have worn the front brakes less than 20% after 45,000 miles - I consider that "normal." Total, these brakes have 60,000 miles on them and are at ~70% in the front. Like you, I tend to drive many highway miles.
  • We replaced a wheel bearing in our 2008 T&C at 48K. A bad bearing will whine then roar. BTW my 94 BMW needed a wheel bearing at 130K after 14 years.
    I have a 2008 T&C limited van. I've had numerous brake problems on my van. I did a little research based on all the comments on this thread over the past year. RESULTS: Based on all posts the average brake life on a 2008 T&C is about 15,000 miles. My brakes failed at 17,000 (needed new pads, rotors for all 4 wheels - $600 bucks) so I believe these posts. So if the average person drives 15,000 mi/yr. you would need to have a full brake job every year. My prior 2 chrysler vans (1999, 2005) needed front brakes after 30,000 and rears at about 50,000.

I'm really pissed off at the fact that Chrysler can get away with this faulty design.
    I have an 08 T&C. I've noticed many times when I park my van and come back that the side door is opened. There are 2 possibilities for doors to open by themselves... 1) The key (with mine I can click twice and the doors open automatically) when in your pocket somehow got hit twice and thus the door opened. I've been really careful when I put my key away after parking my van but yet the doors still open.

2) the dealer is B.S. and there is a problem with doors.
  • kpot03kpot03 Posts: 1
    I bought my 09 Chrysler T&C brand new and ever since the driver side power slider has made creeking noises over small bumps, when accelerating and braking. The dealer tried cleaning and lubing, same thing. Once in a while the doors will stop and reopen.
    Any ideas?
  • cfli1688cfli1688 Posts: 3
    We had this problem on and off. Whenever it rains, we would have problem with the power steering. The other day it was raining, I turn in to a parking lot and suddenly the power steering stop working for a couple of second and it works again. Any idea?
  • prazeauprazeau Posts: 1
    Did that fix work permanently or have you had to follow with more extensive repairs?

I have a very similar passenger power window problem in 2005 T&C. I can hear a hum without the door panel off, but the window doesn't budge.

Thanks in advance for your response. FJP
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    So far, the fix is working. Window still works.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Sounds like a belt is slipping.
  • jrunyansjrunyans Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    I have a 2002 Town and Country. The rear sliding door lock is stuck in the LOCKED position. I cannot unlock the door with the key fob, the interior switch (on front door) or manually. This is a NON powered door. Any suggestions?
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Try some lubricant like WD40. Good luck.
  • tdavispttdavispt Posts: 1
    2003 Chrysler TC - Driver side rear vent window is stuck open. All other windows operational. I have the Panel off and now I'm stuck like my window...Any suggestions, please..