Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Edge Predicted and Actual Reliability

2»

Comments

• I should add that the reason I visited this forum (beside being on the payroll of all the foreign auto makers :<} - TIC) is that I am renting a car from a dealership for a roadtrip, and he's out of minivans and I am getting an Edge. I was here to check on reliability, mileage, seating etc... So far I am cautiously optimistic about this car.

IMHO the only way the Big 3 are going to win customers back is by people having positive experiences with their products. Rent a car from Hertz or Enterprize and fall in love with it while on vacation or business. Have your neighbor constantly tell you how much he loves his (Ford, GM, Chrysler) and how he never takes it to the shop.

Is their hope for Detroit?? I hope so, but having grown up there, the mentality of the employees, causes me doubt. As far as any of them are concerned they work for the UAW not Ford or GM etc.. Until both groups can get together and set a goal to please their customers instead of their stockholders or union membership, we have not seen the bottom.
  • I thought that I should post a follow up on my rental experience with the Ford Edge. I did enjoy driving the car. It had a very comfortable ride. The vehicle was quiet, and it cruised effortlessly even at 80MPH (so be carefull - you will be going alot faster than you realize if you don't pay attention to the speedo). The mileage was not great (avg about 19-20), but as I mentioned I was driving 75-80 MPH. Down around 60MPH I would expect the mileage to be much better. The car handled well. There were some interior trim issues, and the fit was not anywhere near foreign car quality (this was a design issue, not assembly). But I did have plastic pieces that came off the seat rails etc..( not very impressive).
    Overall I put 1400 miles on this vehicle in one long weekend. It was pleasant to drive. Would I buy one??? I do know how much they cost, but I would be reluctant to part with more than $21K for a vehicle of this caliber new. Given Ford's reputation for quality (or lack thereof) I would pay more for a Toyota or Used Lexus. I'm the kind that keeps cars for a long time, so quality and mechanical reliability are more important to me than style.

If this car (and the rest of their fleet) proves to be reliable Ford may be on the road to recovery. Let's hope!

OMG I just saw a profile view of the EDGE on the advertisement on the left side of this page.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/edge/index.asp?SECTION=PHOTO_GALLERY

The side profile looks IDENTICAL to the Lexus RX330 with the EDGE being perhaps a little squatier. Well, they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. How about imitating that Toyota/Lexus quality?

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rx330/2005/pictures.html#

Click Here to look at the 2005 Lexus RX330 on Edmunds. Flame me if I'm wrong.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    How about imitating that Toyota/Lexus quality?

If by that you mean transmission problems, engine sludge, frame cracks, exploding camshafts and folding tailgates - no thanks.
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Posts: 124
    You may well be right. If I had another 10-12K to spend on a comparably equiped 350, I would probably buy one. Really, I am not taking a shot here, but it seems unfair to compare the Edge to the 350 given the massive price difference. If it was the MKK you were comparing, I could more see your point.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    This person has obviously been out of the automotive market for far 2 long.

Mark.
  • fmichaelfmichael Posts: 95
    ...of smooth driving since my wife, & I brought the Edge home on 8-31-07. Now that we have an 8 week old little guy - we enjoy the spacious cabin, & comfort/safety that it brings us.
  • zekyzeky Posts: 3
    My new 2008 Ford Edge sunroof literally exploded from the inside out while driving down the highway at about 70 mph. The sunroof was closed at the time and there were no other vehicles around my car or overpasses nearby, when the sunroof exploded. The glass blew out from the center of the sunroof, creating a large hole, and all four corners of the sunroof are gone as well. Luckily no one was injured from the incident (from the glass shattering or from the scare of the explosion), and the car was able to be guided to safety. Ford, however, refused to repair the roof, stating that something must have hit the sunroof, therefore, making it our responsibility. Researching this problem I have found many reported cases of sunroof explosions, Ford themselves having similar problems with their Explorer model sunroof from 1991-1994. This was/is a very scary and dangerous situation. I am now leary of my cars safety and security. I caution anyone who is looking at the Ford Edge, not to get the sunroof! I also urge you to consider the fact that Ford, as a company, will not back-up their product.
    I hope you don't have the sunroof, as mine literally exploded from the inside out as I drove down the highway. I am lucky my family wasn't injured in the incident.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    That's the first I've heard of that problem on the Edge or any other Ford product the last several years. If it was a defect it should be showing up more. Glass may crack by itself but it won't "explode" without some force being applied and I don't see where that force would come from just driving down the road. This sounds like it was either previously damaged or something hit it causing the damage. Turn it into your insurance - it's usually covered 100%.

You'd get the same answer from every other MFR unless there is a pattern of failures.
  • my 2007 Ford Edge had the sunroof explode tonight. My wife was driving home and did not have our two daughters thankfully, but the sunroof exploded and was in shattered pieces. My friend owns a glass company and will look at it and another friend owns the local Ford dealership and hopefully we'll find out what happened. Nothing hit the roof. It just shattered and scared the hell out of my wife. We've had transmission problems, the driver door won't unlock automatically and now this.
  • You are not the only person that this has happened to. I am the owner of a 2007 Ford Edge with the vista roof. In May 2008, the sunroof glass randomly exploded over my head. Nothing hit the glass and there were not any other cars near me. I called Ford up immediately and reported the incident.
  • ngamezngamez Posts: 1
    I just took my 2008 Ford Edge into the dealership. My sunroof randomly broke on all four corners. It happened suddenly! And i was just parked in a spacy parking lot! I called the nearest dealership and made my way there. It was scary driving it like that. I drove with glass flying off; i had to drive it 40mph in order not to have glass fly to the car behind me! I baffled! It randomly just broke at each of the 4 corners of the first glass!
  • tom287tom287 Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Last fall, we purchased a used 2007 Ford Edge SEL with the vista roof also. Driving to Denver, Colorado from Loveland on June 30 our front panel vista roof exploded with a loud bang sending glass all down the back of the car. It appears to have exploded from the inside out? All of the edges were cracked except in a few places to keep the majority of the glass intact. I would guess we were going about 65 to 70 mph.
    Needless to say, we took the secondary roads home and drove much slower than usual.
    Thus far both the dealer and Ford have put the burden on us to repair the problem.
    Since the car only has 27,000 miles I think this is a Ford problem and they should fix the problem. I am now working with my insurance company. Just isn't right!
    Also we had the inside cover closed at the time if that is important.
    I talked to a telvision news show about the fact that ford wouldn't cover the same sunroof explosion. The reporter called Ford customer service, Ford semt a safety investigator to look at my sunroof. I never heard the results, but my sunroof was replaced free of charge. However, I have never felt safe in my car since and am now in the process of selling it. good luck.
  • The same thing just happened to me in my 2011 Ford Tauris. Traveling on smooth surface at 70 mph. 74 degrees outside, and Boom, sunroof blew out. We would have been injured if we had the inside sunroof "door" open. I really thought that someone had shot out one of the windows and it took a couple of minutes before I noticed the sunroof had a big hole in the middle and glass bent outward.
2»