Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Electrical Problems

Comments

• soestersoester Posts: 1
    I have an electrical problem with my mustang for a while and fixed it by changing a fuse once in a while. the fuse is a blue no. 15 and is for the brake lights and turnsignal. three days a ago the lights stop working again, but this time the a/c stop blowing cold air and the engine idles rough. i had a tune up not too long ago where i changed, spark plugs, sparkplug wires, airfilter, fuel filter and oil. but now changing the fuse doesn't help anymore and somebody suggested to me to change the relays, so i did and nothing changed. changed the flasher as well not too long ago but problem consists.so if anybody experienced the same problem and found the solution please let me know. a car is vital in orlando fl. p.s. due to a minor accident the bumper and fender got fixed and the left headlight and turnsignal replaced. that's when the trouble with changing the fuses started
  • Did you ever figure out what the vibration problems were? I have a 2000 v6 stang and I'm in the same situation. It seems to be getting worse :(
  • just today like 2-3 hours ago while driving my lights inside my car, more specificaly the lights in the dash board more importantly the instrument cluster lights shut off and WILL NOT come back on. i was wondering if it may have been a fuse. checked... nope, no fuse was blown. anybody have any ideas on how i can fix this problem...???
  • while not trying to be funny but did you check the bulb, some times this condition is caused by the filliment or a short in the front if it is the rear one that stays on and vice a verse
  • I have a 2005 Gt. About a month ago my check engine light came on and my car would crap out. We thought it was a fuel problem but it turned out to be the alternator. We replaced the alternator and everything was great until this past Friday. The battery light came on and we had a message on the dash, "Check charging system" We figured it was the battery since it ran completly down when we changed the alternator. We went down and bought a new battery and it seemed to work but then on Sunday the battery light came back on along with the same message. Thinking that we must have a bad alternator we replaced it and it worked great until Monday morning. Same thing, battery light came on with same message, "Check Charging System" I was able to go to work and back home(approx. 60 miles). I went back out and tried to start it but it was completley dead. HELP!!!! Does anyone have any idea of what it could be? I have not had any luck with Ford service departments either. I have 78,000 miles and nothing is under warranty anymore. I have had the same problem as some other posts, fuel tank, radio,etc. I have learned to live with the gas tank after they repalced it twice. I have found that id I go to certain gas stations I can't get past $20.00 but if I go to Chevron or Shell I have no problem. I have come to the relixation that the gas nozzles might be a contributing factor. If anyone has any suggestions on the electrical problems please let me know
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,834
    Well first thing I'd have the alternator TESTED for actual quantitative output.

If you are buying alternators from big chain stores this might be the problem as their failure rate is rather high.

But anyway, batteries and alternators can be tested. You don't have to guess on this problem. Also the car should be tested for a large battery drain.

• I have a 2005 Mustang (v6), and when I get in it in the morning the car struggles to start. Also as of late the windows wont auto roll up or slightly go down when the door opens like it normally does (doesnt matter if its morning or afternon). Also the windows wont roll up all the way. Sometimes when I start it up the radio resets and you can hear it cycle through the cds (even though there is none in there). When it is warm outside the car seems to start fine but windows still have the issue. I have had a battery put in there by Ford last year, for different reasons.

I have checked all the fuses and they are all fine.
    Okay, same advice for you. Have the alternator output checked, the battery load-tested, and a test for "starter draw" (amperage draw when cranking).

• starter draw and alt. charge is normal. Battery seemed to be drawing power when we cleaned the terminals (sparking). Also the passenger door works fine and the drivers door won't auto roll up and won't auto roll up the 1/2 inch or so it does when you shut the door.

Any suggestion?
  • I posted on here about an electrical issue I was having with my 2005 Mustang GT. I had changed the alternator 4 times 2 ourselves and two by a automotive shop. Each alternator was bought from a large chain dealer. We found out,finally, that the alternator we were buying were not compatable with the card. We ended up having to go to Ford and have a Ford alternator put on. It cost of $800 for parts and labor but I was willing to pay anything to figure out why the alternators kept going out. It has been two months and the card runs great. I was told by Ford that it is some type of chip that needs to be compatable with the computer. At this point I didn't care because my card actually is running now.
    Well okay, checking for a battery drain should be simple enough. That seems the logical next step.

• this morning went out there and the car started right up and has been working fine all day... still no auto up on the window. Maybe a relay or a regulator?
    Has the car been scanned for codes? Maybe there is a module or relay that's malfunctioning and it might store a code.

• I got a question about my car i was driving it home one day and i stopped at a light and the car just died. soi get to the side of the road i mess around with battery cables and nothing so i call my friend and have him jump my car and its on and running perfect again. Until i turn my car off then it wont start so i get my battery checked and its bad i replace it and get the alternator checked its good.So im driving and the battery gauge on the cluster is flickering back and my electric locks,interior lights, and speedometer is not working?????????? but my car is running just fine. So my check engine light comes on and i have a scan tool in my car and when i plug it in it wont pick up the cars computer???finally i was going home to visit my parents and i pull over to by a drink when i come back outside my car sounds like its dying like its not getting fuel i had a full tank??????? but when you shut my car off it will start just fine.could it be water in the electrical????ground?? I dont know. any suggestions? :sick:
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Posts: 317
    window auto up needs to be reset after power failure. consult manual.
    Have read above posts. Have had the same problem w/ '05 GT off and on: Get in, engine turns over very slowly. Get "low battery" readout on the radio and my radar detector. Time on radio needs to be reset. CD changer clicks thru all CD's.

Problem is NOT battery. When battery tender is hooked up, green light indicates battery fully charged. Thus there can't be a drain on battery or alternator problem.

I always leave radio turned off.

Once during routine service at dealer, was told battery not charging properly. After 35 min's, manager came back and said it was OK. He probably couldn't figure it out.

Empty the CD changer? Leave it in the garage without turning on antitheft? Why not. I'll try anything.
    Btw, how do you lock car without turning on antitheft? Lock it with key?
    don't go by the battery tender's assessment. Unless you load test a battery, you really can't tell its condition. When the tender flashes the OK, all it means is that the battery won't take any more charge---that could mean it's full, or it could mean it's faulty.

You are probably right, but the one thing that always trip people up and makes them crazy when working on a problem, is making assumptions that something is okay without really verifying it. It's time-consuming to be thorough but it pays off.

Right you are, Host. Battery was dead as a door nail the next morning. Who has patience (or time) for this kind of mechanical failure? Following day got replacement battery, 40R Sears Die Hard Gold -- don't you love that allusion to corporate overcoming of death?
    If your battery hadn't died so hard, you'd have found the problem earlier! :P Lay down already!

• ricker113ricker113 Posts: 2
    Hey Dieseltech, I had a very similar problem happen to me today. Started with a bad battery. Changed that. Checked the altenator. That was ok. Then driving around my stereo stopped working.It turned back on, then my dash warning lights started blinking. Exterior car lights went off. Door locks and windows stopped working. Car engine died. All happened in about 10 minutes. Now even with the car off and no key in the ignition the dash and interior lights are blinking/flashing totally randomly. This has all happened in one day.

Did you ever get your issue resolved?

Thanks!
  • Hey all:

Mustang has a battery light that is on until you rev to 2500 rpm's. Took to have battery checked, good but low, charged it and still problem exist. At the same time, had the alternator checked - it is perfect. I am assuming since belts are good, is it cable short or something much easier?? :confuse:
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,689
    How do you know the belts are good? The fact that it varies with RPM indicates either a belt that's slipping at lower RPM or the alternator is bad. The belt is cheaper - replace it and see what happens.
  • ricker113ricker113 Posts: 2
    I did get the issue resolved.It was a combo of a bad battery and bad alternator. I replaced both and everything has been working perfect since.

Thanks! -Rick
  • jmarounjmaroun Posts: 139
    It's consistant. Whenever my wife is in the passenger seat of my 2010 Ford Mustang GT, invariably, everytime without question, the fking passenger airbag is off signal pops up after we've been driving for a few minutes. My wife doesn't usually ride in my car..but on occassion when she does, like this weekend, this issue always occurs. This ANGERS me so much since it places my wife in danger.

Now, I've already spoken to Ford designers and a Ford dealership about this. Both give the same annoying response like questioning about propper seating position or if my wife weighs less than 50lbs! They offer suggestions like moving the seat back or to move around a bit in the seat to get the sensor active. What a bunch of BS. My wife sits propperly, and weighs around 110lbs or so. Furthermore, moving the seat or seat position does NOT help. There is NO F'king excuse anyhow..the airbags should reliably sense if any adult is present. PERIOD! I will bring this up to my Ford dealer again on Monday. If I get the same BS casual indifference..I will take it to a higher level. Damit!

Joseph
    San Diego
    I'm not convinced that passenger airbags are all that useful if the passenger is wearing a seatbelt. That said, I understand your concern. Next time it happens, try switching seats (without turning the car off) and see what happens. If it stays deactivated then it's a bad sensor. If it only deactivates with your wife, try adding some weight (5 or 10 lbs at a time) until it changes. If you can prove that the weight threshold is over 100 lbs then there should be no argument. If you can't get the first dealer to fix it then try another dealer. Then go to Ford. It's difficult for Ford to do anything without a cooperating dealer.
  • While driving 60mph at night my wife lost all her lights and every warning light on her dash went on. After making it off the road she turned off car and put it in park. After a few minutes she could start the car with everything back to normal except the check engine light was on. She had it towed to the nearest dealer who has not been able to diagnose the problem after 1 week. She does not want to drive it again until someone can tell her what went wrong. She wants to sell the car if this issue cannot be remedied. 06 'stang GT 44,000 mi.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Billy C.
  • I am asking for help with my GT. Today all of the sudden, my turn signals went on. My head lights and brake lights don't work. My windows won't roll up or down. My stereo doesn't work. My locks don't work. The fob won't work. I am a total loss! Please help!!!!!
  • 99 Mustang Convertible....So I have no power locks, no door chime when door is open with key in ignition, no keyless entry remote (wont even open the trunk) and no windshield wipers. Has anyone seen anything like this? None if these issues have happened before, no intermittent problems or anything. Other wise the car runs great....OK, I've checked the grounds, still nothing. I rechecked all the fuses also. I'm at a loss.....

Eric
    Could be the FEM (front end module).