Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Electrical Problems

Comments

• Well okay, checking for a battery drain should be simple enough. That seems the logical next step.
  • this morning went out there and the car started right up and has been working fine all day... still no auto up on the window. Maybe a relay or a regulator?
  • Has the car been scanned for codes? Maybe there is a module or relay that's malfunctioning and it might store a code.
  • I got a question about my car i was driving it home one day and i stopped at a light and the car just died. soi get to the side of the road i mess around with battery cables and nothing so i call my friend and have him jump my car and its on and running perfect again. Until i turn my car off then it wont start so i get my battery checked and its bad i replace it and get the alternator checked its good.So im driving and the battery gauge on the cluster is flickering back and my electric locks,interior lights, and speedometer is not working?????????? but my car is running just fine. So my check engine light comes on and i have a scan tool in my car and when i plug it in it wont pick up the cars computer???finally i was going home to visit my parents and i pull over to by a drink when i come back outside my car sounds like its dying like its not getting fuel i had a full tank??????? but when you shut my car off it will start just fine.could it be water in the electrical????ground?? I dont know. any suggestions? :sick:
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Posts: 317
    window auto up needs to be reset after power failure. consult manual.
    Have read above posts. Have had the same problem w/ '05 GT off and on: Get in, engine turns over very slowly. Get "low battery" readout on the radio and my radar detector. Time on radio needs to be reset. CD changer clicks thru all CD's.

Problem is NOT battery. When battery tender is hooked up, green light indicates battery fully charged. Thus there can't be a drain on battery or alternator problem.

I always leave radio turned off.

Once during routine service at dealer, was told battery not charging properly. After 35 min's, manager came back and said it was OK. He probably couldn't figure it out.

Empty the CD changer? Leave it in the garage without turning on antitheft? Why not. I'll try anything.
    Btw, how do you lock car without turning on antitheft? Lock it with key?
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,626
    don't go by the battery tender's assessment. Unless you load test a battery, you really can't tell its condition. When the tender flashes the OK, all it means is that the battery won't take any more charge---that could mean it's full, or it could mean it's faulty.

You are probably right, but the one thing that always trip people up and makes them crazy when working on a problem, is making assumptions that something is okay without really verifying it. It's time-consuming to be thorough but it pays off.
    Right you are, Host. Battery was dead as a door nail the next morning. Who has patience (or time) for this kind of mechanical failure? Following day got replacement battery, 40R Sears Die Hard Gold -- don't you love that allusion to corporate overcoming of death?
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,626
    If your battery hadn't died so hard, you'd have found the problem earlier! :P Lay down already!
  • ricker113ricker113 Posts: 2
    Hey Dieseltech, I had a very similar problem happen to me today. Started with a bad battery. Changed that. Checked the altenator. That was ok. Then driving around my stereo stopped working.It turned back on, then my dash warning lights started blinking. Exterior car lights went off. Door locks and windows stopped working. Car engine died. All happened in about 10 minutes. Now even with the car off and no key in the ignition the dash and interior lights are blinking/flashing totally randomly. This has all happened in one day.

Did you ever get your issue resolved?

Thanks!
  • Hey all:

Mustang has a battery light that is on until you rev to 2500 rpm's. Took to have battery checked, good but low, charged it and still problem exist. At the same time, had the alternator checked - it is perfect. I am assuming since belts are good, is it cable short or something much easier?? :confuse:
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,621
    How do you know the belts are good? The fact that it varies with RPM indicates either a belt that's slipping at lower RPM or the alternator is bad. The belt is cheaper - replace it and see what happens.
  • ricker113ricker113 Posts: 2
    I did get the issue resolved.It was a combo of a bad battery and bad alternator. I replaced both and everything has been working perfect since.

Thanks! -Rick
  • jmarounjmaroun Posts: 139
    It's consistant. Whenever my wife is in the passenger seat of my 2010 Ford Mustang GT, invariably, everytime without question, the fking passenger airbag is off signal pops up after we've been driving for a few minutes. My wife doesn't usually ride in my car..but on occassion when she does, like this weekend, this issue always occurs. This ANGERS me so much since it places my wife in danger.

Now, I've already spoken to Ford designers and a Ford dealership about this. Both give the same annoying response like questioning about propper seating position or if my wife weighs less than 50lbs! They offer suggestions like moving the seat back or to move around a bit in the seat to get the sensor active. What a bunch of BS. My wife sits propperly, and weighs around 110lbs or so. Furthermore, moving the seat or seat position does NOT help. There is NO F'king excuse anyhow..the airbags should reliably sense if any adult is present. PERIOD! I will bring this up to my Ford dealer again on Monday. If I get the same BS casual indifference..I will take it to a higher level. Damit!

Joseph
    San Diego
    I'm not convinced that passenger airbags are all that useful if the passenger is wearing a seatbelt. That said, I understand your concern. Next time it happens, try switching seats (without turning the car off) and see what happens. If it stays deactivated then it's a bad sensor. If it only deactivates with your wife, try adding some weight (5 or 10 lbs at a time) until it changes. If you can prove that the weight threshold is over 100 lbs then there should be no argument. If you can't get the first dealer to fix it then try another dealer. Then go to Ford. It's difficult for Ford to do anything without a cooperating dealer.
  • While driving 60mph at night my wife lost all her lights and every warning light on her dash went on. After making it off the road she turned off car and put it in park. After a few minutes she could start the car with everything back to normal except the check engine light was on. She had it towed to the nearest dealer who has not been able to diagnose the problem after 1 week. She does not want to drive it again until someone can tell her what went wrong. She wants to sell the car if this issue cannot be remedied. 06 'stang GT 44,000 mi.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Billy C.
  • I am asking for help with my GT. Today all of the sudden, my turn signals went on. My head lights and brake lights don't work. My windows won't roll up or down. My stereo doesn't work. My locks don't work. The fob won't work. I am a total loss! Please help!!!!!
  • 99 Mustang Convertible....So I have no power locks, no door chime when door is open with key in ignition, no keyless entry remote (wont even open the trunk) and no windshield wipers. Has anyone seen anything like this? None if these issues have happened before, no intermittent problems or anything. Other wise the car runs great....OK, I've checked the grounds, still nothing. I rechecked all the fuses also. I'm at a loss.....

Eric
    Could be the FEM (front end module).