Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture Fuel Pump

the other day my wifes '98 venture started to stumble after it started and died just like it ran out of gas, the fuel pump doesnt make any noise and it isnt pressurizing the fuel line, the fuel pump relay in the fuse box is clicking and the fuse next to it is good but I cant get any reading on my multi-tester to any of the wires under the van that go to the tank, theres 2 plugs I see, one looks to go the the fuel pump and has wires pink, white, green, purple, grey, black/white, black, the other plug has red, black, white, brown, this plug splits with white and brown going to what looks like maybe the fuel level sensor and red and black going to what looks like the brakes
I cant get a power reading to any of these wires no matter what I try...
I was thinking that maybe the fuel pump went out but now I'm not so sure... is there some inherent problem with these that would cause this problem? maybe a fuel line pressure sensor or something? the wiring in this van seems pretty complicated and I really have no idea on how to diagnos a problem like this with it, a new fuel pump is just under $500 so I'd like to be certain thats whats wrong before I buy one...
any help would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Shop around, the Venture vans actually have one of the easier gas tanks to disengage and lower. The new pump should be the majority of the cost. Check your fuel filter - if it is clogged, there might be some sort of safety cutoff. You might also want to have your computer codes read. Most big name parts stores have readers and will do this for you free of charge.
  • acgriffacgriff Posts: 4
    im haveing the same problem.....no power to the fuel pump. fuses are good..relay is good still no power, i spent 4 hours chaseing wires and im ready to pull my hair out at this point so if you found an answer to the problem please let me know thank you
  • I am having the same exact problem with my wifes 2003 chevy venture , it will start cold or cool but once it is driven or run for a while it either dies or won't start . when you go to restart it you don't hear the fuel pump run . If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it . All the fuses look good .
  • rosymrosym Posts: 3
    i have the exact problem that happened to me. i was told to replace the fuel pump but it doesn't sound like it because it runs good when cools down. i just finished changing the fuel filter and i am going to take it for a long ride and i will keep you updated.
  • rosymrosym Posts: 3
    This is an update of my 2208 message fuel problem that I had, fuel pump not working but worked great after it sat for a while or when cold. I tried a relay and it didn't work. Everybody was telling me it was a fuel pump but i didn't buy it because it started great when cold. I repaced the fuel filter and its running great, Went for a long drive, stoped it and starts no problem. I hope this works for you. Let me know, it was a $17 fix for me instead of $450.
  • homermedichomermedic Posts: 10
    The fuel filter should be replaced every year, especially if you use less than stellar gas brands. My Venture had fuel problems after it was sucking fumes at the bottom of the tank. :sick: No doubt it picked up some crud and clogged the filter. In any event a good maintenance item for less than $20. :blush:
  • I only have 10 pounds of pressure when the ignition key is turned on and the pressure drops to zero after 3 seconds.
    When I changed the fuel filter I left it off the see if fuel pump was working and it is. The fuel pump was replaced 3-months ago by Pep Boys. I am having it towed back to Pep boys
    to replace the pump its under warranty. I just don't think this is the problem. Any Ideas?
  • I am having a similar problem with my 95 Lumina. It wont start and there is no pressure to the fuel rail. I replaced the fuel pump relay and the filter. No help. Reading the service manual I see that there are 2 relays. The fuel pump relay comes on for 2 second after you turn the key to on,then shuts off if you do not continue to start the car. If you continue to start the car the other relay, when the pressure gets to 4psi, energizes and turns the fuel pump on. This relay also activates the oil light on the dash. So if the oil pressure gets to 4pis or below the relay denergizes and shuts off the fuel pump. I think I'll have it towed to the garage.
  • Just so everyone knows, a friend at a Chevy dealer told me that when you turn the ignition key to the ON position, the fuel pump only receives voltage for about 2 seconds. If it doesn't start, then the voltage is shut down to the pump. So don't tear your hair out if you find no voltage at the fuel pump after the initial 2 seconds!

Also, you should be able to HEAR the fuel pump run for those two seconds when you first turn on the ignition. If you don't, it is either the fuse (unlikely), the fuel pump relay (unlikely) or the pump itself. If you DO hear the pump for those two seconds, and it won't start, then there is a good chance it is the fuel pump. Just info from a friend.

My 2000 venture won't start today, and I hear no fuel pump running.. just a static sound from under the dash when I turn the key (the starter runs fine, but engine sounds like it isn't getting spark). Mine has 117,000 miles, and I never replaced the fuel filter yet, but my problem is most likely a fuel pump. You don't have to buy the whole pump asm, I am told.. just the pump goes bad. Haven't tried to find just that yet, but thought I'd reply so people will know what is up....
  • kcmommekcmomme Posts: 1
    oh my we have had fuel pump problems we are on our 4th fuel pump and my car just stopped the other day i think i will try the filter solution first all though the mechanic said it was the sending unit the last few times .We filled it with gas (19 gallons)this time drove it for 60 miles then it just stopped onI-95 very scary and wouldn't start had it towed home
  • OMG.... THIS IS CRAZY. I JUST GOT MY CHEVY VENT ON JUNE 1 2007. BEEN REAL GOOD TILL NOW. WENT TO THE CITY AND PARKED WAITING FOR A FRIEND AND WHEN I WENT TO START IT , IT WAS ACTING LIKE IT WASNT GETTING ANY FUEL. I JUST FILLED THE TANK UP YESTERDAY, 45 DOLLARS OF GAS. REPLACED THE FUEL FILTER AND AFUSE IN THE FRONT STILL NO START. IS THERE A FUEL RESET BUTTON ON THE 98 VENTURE VAN? IF SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE. DONT HAVE 500.00 TO REPLACE FUEL PUMP IF THATS NOT THE PROBLEM. PLEASE HELP....
  • THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. I WILL KEEP YOU IN MIND ON THE PUMP. I MAY NEED IT. MY FRIEND IS GOING TO CHECK IT OUT TO SEE WHAT CODE IT SHOWS , THEN I WILL GO FROM THERE. GOT TO GO THE CHEAPEST WAY ICAN. PARTS ARE SO EXPENSIVE ON THESE NEWER CARS. THANKS FOR THE REPLY I WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED. THANKS AGAIN. JOYCE MADDEN
  • HERE IS MY EMAIL- JLM62040@YAHOO.COM. DO YOU HAVE A HANDBOOK ON THE VAN? IF SO LOOK AND SEE IF THERE IS A RESET BUTTON FOR THE FUEL. ON THE WINDSTAR I HAD THERE WAS A FUEL RESET BUTTON IN THE BACK PANEL WHERE MY JACK WAS. HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND PUSHED THE RESET BUTTON AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE. SO IF YOU KNOW OF A FUEL RESET BUTTON PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN TRY THAT FIRST. THANKS
  • wq2121wq2121 Posts: 7
    No problem, Joyce. And remember, if the code shows that it is that device that controls the voltage going to the pump, then you CAN just run voltage from an ignition source directly to the pump, and bypass the pump. If need be, I can go look at the wiring diagram again to tell you which wires those are under the car. Have a good weekend...
    Jim
  • Hey guys,

Didn't know where else to post...

I pulled my smallblock 350. When I pulled the fuel pump it just slid out. Now it's getting caught on the crossmember. It's a 45 degree pump. I thought I had to turn the camshaft to move the crossmember, but it didn't go. I think it's the crossmember. Whatever the rod is on the inside of the fuel pump housing on the block. It's the same pump and the same engine.

How do I get it back in?

Any help is appreciated.
  • Went through 4 fuel pumps now!

This last weekend replaced the fourth one, fuel filter, and flushing the tank thinking that would fix any issues I was having with the no start. Wrong! Still no fuel.

On a whim I replaced the fuel relay and cleaned the contacts in the fuse block that it plugs into. Started right off. The old relay tested good but when plugged back in, it failed to let the pump run.

So don't forget to clean all your electrical connections while diagnosing your fuel problem. I went so far as to clean and put electric greese on all the plugs under the van that went to the fuel system too.

I'm crossing my fingers that that will solve all my fuel problems.
  • IT WAS NEVER MY FUEL PUMP LIKE WE THOUGHT IT WAS. DONT KNOW REALLY WHAT IT WAS. ONE DAY MY 15 YR OLD SON WENT OUT THERE AND CHECK UNDERNEATH AND FOUND A WIRE NOT CONNECTED PLUGGED IT IN AND CHECK ALL THE FLUIDS, TOUCHED THE GAS THROTTLE AND A PLUG THING WHERE THE FUSE BOX IS IN THE ENGINE AND AMAZINGLY THE STUPID THING STARTED RIGHT UP. HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM SINCE. THIS IS WHAT I THINK, EVERYTIME I FILL MY TANK FULL AT QUIK TRIP I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WIT MY CARS. THIS IS THE 3RD CAR THIS HAS HAPPENED TO. SO I DONT FILL UP AT QUIK TRIP ANYMORE. I SAT HERE FOR 2 WEEKS WITHOUT MY VAN AND ALL IT TOOK WAS A 15 YR OLD TO GET IT RUNNING AGAIN. FUNNY HUH? WELL GOOD LUCK ON YOURS.. :confuse:
  • chaseschases Posts: 41
    After all the work done a couple of week ago.

Well my van died again the other day going down the road. Same simptoms as before: crack but no start, just not getting any fuel. :confuse:
    Had it towed home and started metering from the ignition to the fuel relay then to the wire harness under the van going to the fuel pump. I was tracing the flow of power.
    When I got under the van and pulled the harness to get some slack and expose the wires to meter I asked the wife to turn on the ignition to give me power. Low and behold the fuel pump kicked on. The only things that moved under the van was the harness going to the fuel pump and the main harness plug going into the van just behind the drivers seat.
    When I unplugged the water tight plug one of the terminals was scorched black(its a white plastic 8 pin plug). That terminal is the 12v going to the fuel pump. My guess is it is arching and looses contact.
    Makes me sick to think that I have paid for 4 fuel pumps to be replaced and it might have been this all along. Just so happens that when you drop the tank that wire gets moved around and corrects the contact fooling you into thinking that the fuel pump was the problem.
  • I am new here. I am having a problem with my 98 Venture. The thing won't start. If I ether up the throttle boddy it will start until it burns the ether out but fuel is not getting into the engine. I have had the fuel pump replaced, and the switch checked. I have not yet had the fuel filter replaced. I'm at my wit's end because I took this thing down to Chevy and they didn't even hook it up to their machine. told me it was the camshaft and didn't even hook it up. One garage I went to told me it was the fuel pump and it was not. Then the Chevy dealer wasted my time and I should have charged him for wasting my time. I don't think it's the camshaft, I'm ticked and am going to take it to the Pontiac dealer to see if he would help me.
    When I got the Venture it needed fuel filter and it broke almost caught the van on fire and almost blew up. Gas was everywhere. So from reading these posts, it says to check the wiring harnesses? I'm going to replace the fuel filter besides it was due. If anyone has any suggestions for me before I take my auto motives down to the Chamber of Commerce to discuss mechanic quackery. Please let me know. I just want to get my van fixed.
  • huntrhuntr Posts: 2
    The gas guage on my '01 Venture is not working right. Fll then straight to empty at +/- 350 miles. Understand it's the fuel level sending unit on the fuel pump. How do I drop the tank to get to it? Something I can do in the driveway?
    yes...it is pretty easy...it is a plastic tank, so it is light. empty gas as much as possible and then depressurize the lines (simply remove the fuel pump relay from the fuse box while the engine is running, and that will do it!), turn off engine, disconnect negative battery terminal, disconnect the two fuel lines and the electrical connections and remove 3 bolts that hold the three straps up. then unscrew the huge lid on the tank, but be careful as you then have to tip the unit as you take it out, since the sending unit goes horizontal in the tank. Just do it slow, and you'll realize what I mean. Hope this helps...
  • criskimcriskim Posts: 1
    I am havinghte exact same problem! I climb under the van and wiggle the plugs and the van fires right up, but then dies in the middle of driving, have replaced the plug but now think I need to replace the actual module that it plugs into behind the drivers seat. Need to find the part but don't know what it's called? any idea?
    Hi,
    Which exact problem are you having? These threads don't seem to run correctly. Anyway, I ran 12v directly to my 2000 Chevy Venture fuel pump, bypassing the "module" that is to supply that 12 volts. I think it is called the ECM (electronic control module) or something like that. I would like to replace mine as well, so I can get rid of that direct 12v (fused, and only on when ignition is on) wire! By saying it is behind the drivers seat, you mean INSIDE the care, on under the car and behind the seat, right? Just curious.... I have no idea where that module is...
    Jim
  • dj_79dj_79 Posts: 1
    The gas hand on my van is floating and I need to know if there is a drain plug on the tank so I can change the fuel mechanism. Thanks
    Nope, no way to drain it other than sticking a hose down the fuel tank inlet, and syphoning it out. The tank is plastic, so it is light, even with a couple gallons left in it. Only three straps hold it to the underbody, so you remove 3 bolts, and the electrical connections, and the two fuel line connectors, and it comes off of the van. But it is hard to find just the mechanism... they want to sell you the pump and top asm complete for like $250-300 dollars. There is one place on the internet that sells the "fuel level CAM" for like 20 bucks, but I called them since there was no picture. They couldn't send me a picture, but told me to go online to another site, which I didn't have access to, so not sure if that is the part you would need or not. Let me know if you have success just buying that item, as I need it too.
  • navstarnavstar Posts: 3
    Thanks to all for sharing ....
    Wife's Chevy venture has been stalling and getting progressively worse, now won't start. I surfed the web this morning finding numberous builltien boards and a common theme in most, crank sensor, fuel pump, or the wire harness connector under car behind drivers seat.
    Easies (and cheapest) to check was electrical connector. First, confirm symptom, turn key and listen under car, no fule pump hum. Pulled connector and reseated a couple times, try again, car starts. Examine connector and sure enough the one pin is discolored around it in the connector. Clear sign that there is excessive current draw, causing heat, causing oxidation, etc. Eventually you end up with an "open circuit". Small file, contact cleaner and short time later, car starts better than it has in months. My experience in a similar inductry, this is a temporary fix. Once these connectors and pins get damaged, they will eventually need to be replaced. When that time comes, I will cut the wires and install another heavier connector for the fuel pump circuit.
    Thanks to all for sharing, it led me in teh right direction, and I suggest everyone wiht similar issue, listen for fuel pump hum when you turn teh key, and if you don't hear it, go to this connector first!
  • We have a 2000 Chevy Venture that was run out of gas. After refilling the van won't start. Changed the relay then tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery terminals, still it won't start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • azuazu Posts: 84
    Sounds like a clogged fuel filter or clogged fuel pump pickup screen. Most likely the fuel filter.