Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic GX & HOV Lane Access

airmarairmar Posts: 10
edited August 17 in Honda
I just purchased a new 06 civic GX. My DMV form was returned saying that it was not listed as a hybrid. I'm not sure if that is what they meant, however on one of the CA ARB lists, the car is not listed yet. There are no 06 Honda cng vehicles.

Anybody else with a new vehicle run into similar problems. Also, it appears that when it is listed it will only qualify for the "yellow" sticker and not the "silver" sticker. Anybody know what the difference is? And any limitations?

Comments

• ngv123ngv123 Posts: 18
    Unfortunately I do not have any documents supporting this. I only know through my research in speaking with different auto manufacturers. You might want to contact Toyota directly. Good luck.
  • airmarairmar Posts: 10
    I just rechecked and it is listed now. But the question still remains about what color sticker it qualifies for and what is the difference?
  • ngv123ngv123 Posts: 18
    I also just purchased a new 06 Civic GX. On the DMV form, I checked off ATPZEV and Compressed Natural Gas squares. I am not quite sure why they would respond with the vehicle not listed as a hybrid? Hybrid stickers are yellow and NGV stickers are silver. They are separate sequence numbers.

I will post a message once my stickers arrive. By the way how long did you have to wait for the response from DMV?

Thanks!
  • epnfrnepnfrn Posts: 87
    You should be getting the silver stickers, and they are very different. the yellows (hybrids) get you access to the HOV lanes ... the silvers (alt fuels) get you HOV access AND free bridges 24/7. for me, that's $6/day savings (going up to $8/day on Jan 1 when they raise tolls to $4 each.)

i'm still waiting for my plates, but have been told that once registered, it should take only a week or so after submitting form to get stickys.

epi
  • I just got back from the Auto Club and I was told the silver stickers will ALWAYS have HOV acess, and the yellow ones are temporary, will only be good till the end of 2007.
    Mine are worn out ('99) and I have the form for replacements but will wait until I get my new license plates, then they said about a week in the mail to recieve them.
    Hope this helps.
    J
  • rstrst Posts: 73
    interesting responses. In 2005 I was rejected for checking the box marked ulev. I responded with checking the sulev box (and the natural gas box). I receive the stickers right away. I had no plates and on the form the stickers were attached to the license plate number was marked as "unk" A few weeks later I received a second set of stickers because it seems the dealer had also applied with the application for the plates. Don't bother going to the Auto Club, they can't help with the stickers. I applied about 1 month ago for the stickers for the 2006 and I have not received them. Maybe they now require the plate # before they will issue the stickers. My check has not been cashed either. Will post when I get the stickers.
    I sent the form in without having plates. I just put the VIN, which might be the problem. It did say Civic GX and CNG, I don't know why the thought hybrid.

When I added my car to my insurance they told me that the VIN was not "valid". I had to fax my registration just to get insurance. I believe that the fact that I listed no plates and the weird VIN probably confused the DMV.

One more question to everyone. Has anyone with a 06 actually received the silver stickers. Or are we going on the "sales pictch". I found on the DMV web where all ATPEZ cars get the yellow sticker.

Thanks
    Jim
    OK, I answered my own question. I just talked to someone at the ARB and was told that the cng vehicles are legislated in by Assembly Bill AB71 and the hybrids fall under a different law. The silver (cng) stickers have no cap and the hybrids are down to about 1500 left statewide. Whew!

My Phill is scheduled to be installed next week, I'll let you know how it goes. I got the 2,000 discount right off the purchase price.

Jim
  • AB 71 HAD a sunset clause in it with a cut-off date for first time stickers for ulev cng. The legislature changed that , so any ulev cng vehicle qualifies.
    My stickers for the 06 came in today. I do not have the plates yet, but the lic #'s are on the sticker paperwork.
  • What color are they?
    Are they still issuing the silver ones?
    They are the silver ones. It is my understanding that all sulev's get the silver.
  • Did you get 3 or 4?
    I noticed all the hybrids have a sticker (gold) on the front bumper, but the NGVs at the SCAQMD in Diamond Bar this morning have no front sticker.
    Also I have been trying to find info on the NGV Camrys, I know they only made them 98-01, haven't had much luck, there is a guy offering a finders fee for one.
    3: two large for the left and right rear and one small for the rear bumper
  • In my research I found that Toyota made only about 50 of them. It will be a mission to find one but all the best.

I hear Clean Energy is offering special incetives on brand new Honda Civic GX.
    The Clean Energy incentives are a reduced rate for fuel for 18 mos. The rate will be $1.89 per gge. (only at selected Honda dealers and I believe by telling the dealer that you were referred by Clean Energy)
  • Do you have any documents/links that mention only 50 CNG Camry's were produced? I would love one also but they are very rare. I think AQMD has most if not all of them.
  • Correction to my comment on 9/4/06 regarding CNG Camrys. Toyota built 500 and most of them are owned by the cities and SCAQMD who owns several. They loved them and are not planning on selling them any time soon. It will be tough tracking one down for sale. I hope this helps.
  • 500 sounds about right. Any idea how many GX's have been produced for comparison sake? 96-present?
  • Unfortunately I do not know the figures for the GX.
  • How do you get free bridges with silver stickers? Are you in northern CA? Are you using a transponder (hybrid type)?
  • let me confirm with you later this week. i spoke to 2 different managers at fastrak to determine if i needed a transponder for the dmv application -- both managers said NO transponder -- the GX qualifies for free bridges. one said 24/7, the other wasn't sure if it was just carpool hours, or 24/7. both suggested that the handbook wasn't clear concerning CNGs. i also spoke to the DMV 'sticker' office and they weren't really sure how to treat them either (in fact, one person said THEIR handbook wasn't clear either!)

all that said, i submitted my application with a letter that spelled out what Fastrak told me, citing the manager's names, as well as an individual at DMV that was able to help another CNG customer out, as well as a big fat note to supply me with the silver stickers, and not yellow by mistake.

i'll write more once i've actually received the stickers (if i ever do!)
    epi
    edit: yes, bay area.
  • Let's try to get some authority, such as actual legislative language. I got replacement stickers (3, white) and have a hybrid transponder. But if the bridge access is really free, the transponder can be put in a mylar bag.
  • I have been searching, but cant find the info I read about a few weeks ago, anyway from what I understood, if you register a NGV in the 9 counties (bay area) you are required to get a special (FREE)transponder for FREE access to the bridges.
    I was under the impression if I drove up there I would have to pay. So maybe I will just put my transponder in a mylar bag and go for it.
    Down here in So CA we get no breaks on the tollroads, hopefully that will change.
  • Anyone know how long it takes to get the stickers? I sent in my form about 2 months ago. They cashed the check, but I still don't have any stickers.
  • hybrid owners i know have been getting them within 1-2 weeks. you should call!

back to the whole bridge tolls/ fastrak topic: (again, w/out legislative proof) ... i was told by 2 separate fastrak managers that there were no tolls, and therefore no 'special transponder' or use of hybrid transponder. however, they both said there was some confusion on the topic b/c it is such a low occurance request. but i feel the existance of two separate color stickers would support separate benefits ... and what else would there be than tolls?

can't wait to find out for certain! but just throwing more speculation out there ... where are all the bay area NGV drivers at? they should know.
    epi
  • From check cashing to mailing of stickers took 34 days, for me.
    the stickers arrived about one month after the date of purchase of the car I still do not have the license plates, but the plate numbers were on the sticker papers so the stickers definately can be cross checked with the car.
  • epnfrnepnfrn Posts: 87
    back to the free bridges debate -- i have spoken to Joni at Mel Rapton in Sacramento several times regarding this (she is the guru up here) and she has repeatably said that the GX qualifies for free bay area bridges during carpool hours only. she is currently trying to find the printout that Honda has provided her.

meanwhile, on the PG&E website, they list a number of incentives for NGVs, with free bridges being one of them. until i get the letter from honda, i printed this sheet out from PG&E and keep it in my glove box.

i have spoken to Fastrak and the DMV so many times that my head hurts thinking about it, and after all the talking, i've distilled three things:
    1) nobody talks to eachother in these organizations :)
    2) there is no bridge toll for the GX during carpool hours (you must have the stickers)
    3) there is no 'special' transponder or need to have a hyrid transponder. you may choose to have Fastrak for times in which you are outside of carpool hours, but having a hybrid version is mute as you'll never be using the flyover outside of carpool hours.

i received my stickers w/out a fastrak acct open for this car, but DID include a lengthy letter 'enlightening' them to these facts. i also put my phone number and demanded they call me if there is still confusion, rather than mailing it back to me 2 wks later. it worked.

i see several GXs up here on my commute ... haven't you folks done the leg work on this long ago?? what was your results??
    epi
  • ikirikir Posts: 11
    Epi:

Did you ever get clarification regarding no bridge toll during carpool hours or 24/7? Also how did you apply for the stickers before you got the plates? I thought you needed the plate number on the application form?
This discussion has been closed.