Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Charger: Aftermarket Accessories & Performance Mods

Comments

• xtec - will do. It will probably be a couple weeks, as I want to burn through a couple tanks to get the numbers. I have been tracking my milage since I got the car, so I have a good history to compare too...
  • xtecxtec Posts: 354
    Thanks for your reply,I appreciate it.
  • losskilosski Posts: 12
    My mpg are good and went up and it sounds good.
    Disc-Have you come up with any numbers on your MPGs since you added the dual exhaust?Right now I'm getting between 19.8 and 20 in the city and don't want to mess that up.
    Thanks for your help with this.
  • I was just logging in to report...

If you are looking for or expecting "ROI" (Return On Investment) from this endevour, I wouldn't do it. The milage has improved 1 to 1.5 miles per gallon. That's maybe a savings of 1 gallon per tank (for me 1 tank per week), at about $3.25 per gallon, thats about $170 per year savings. It will take about 3 years to reach payback point. Actually, on second thought, that is not so bad, since I do plan on keeping it for at least 3 years.

I still would mention again how awesume it SOUNDS, and the increased HP is "very noticable". I am very pleased with the outcome.

I ordered a K&N Air Filter on Monday which I should get today. I'll see if that makes any noticable difference...

CHARGE ON !!!
    Disc-Thanks for the report.If it will give me better performance and MPGs,it doesn't sound bad.I will do more thinking on it.I plan on keeping my Charger for 4yrs.I put A K&N on mine and I lost power and 2mpgs with it.I sent it back to K&N and put back my stock filter,and now its back to normal.On the stock filter it says high flow on it so I think it out performed the K&N.Maybe with the dual exhaust,
    it will work better,you just have to wait and see what happens.Thanks
    Disc- Thanks to you and losski the cat back has landed for me.I gave it some thought and went for it.It looks awesome
    and sounds good.I paid $385+tax and my dealer installed it for $79.I thought it was a great deal so I didn't feel bad.
    I noticed on top of the chrome tip it says Borla.Those are one of the best systems around.It also gave some specs for the system.It says there is a 10hp gain 6ft.lbs of torque
    and 255cfm more exhaust flow.Thats pretty good.Borla wanted
    849.99 for their exhaust so I say we made out nicely.
  • xtec, congrats on your move. I'm sure you will remain very pleased with your purchase. I still crack a smile when I step on the gas and hear the roar. You got a great price all the way around. I paid $425 for the unit, and just over a hundred for the install, although the dealer in my area wanted about $200 for the installation. Sounds like you have a reputable dealer.

Any other mods to your charger? I got the dual exhaust, tinted windows, K&N air filter, and I removed the "3.5L HO" symbols off the sides of the car. I got the K&N after the exhaust, and I did not notice any difference with it.

Charge On !!
    Disc- I have the tinted windows ,alarm system,now the duals,and the one thing that made a big differance in looks is the SRT spoiler.Plus mine came with the 18inch R/T wheels.The dealer I go to has been very good to me and I
    have been going there for about ten years.I got the exhaust price cheaper because I got the mechanics discount,And I convinced my service adviser to install the exhaust for 50hr rate.As I said before I tried the K&N and was not happy with it.It seem to kill my power and lost MPGs with the K&N.
  • What's the deal on the Mopar cat back exhaust? Is it made for the Hemi engine? How much louder does it make the car?
    I went by the muffler shop that put duals on my 300M yesterday to see what we could do to the Charger and found that they are out of business. I'd like the Charger to "talk" to me a little more, but I don't want to wake the neighbors if I leave early some morning.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • I would recommend Zoomers Exhaust. Expensive but well worth it. They dont have the drone that most other catbacks have and have the perfect blend of sound. They also give a boost in horse power and a slight increase in MPG. Go to zoomersexhaust.com or read about zoomers versus Borla, Mopar and others at the Charger enthusiast site Chargerforums.com.
    I have the Mopar cat back on my SXT.It sounds great and it won't wake up your neighbors.The Mopar(Borla) exhaust gives you the closest to OEM .Borla has been working with Mopar for 28 years,so I would say they know Mopars the best.The
    Mopar cat-back will give you 10 more horses and more MPGs.
    My Mpg went up about 1.3 plus the extra power.There are some people on this forum with the mopar cat-back that are happy with their system.Good Luck
    What did you ever do about your exhaust?I'm totaly satisfied with my Mopar(Borla) exhaust.My nephew told me it looks better then the stock R/Ts pipes and bigger.I hope you selected something.The stock exhaust are restricted.
  • I found this mod for the SRT8 chargers brakeworld.com looks pretty sweet.
  • About 1.5 weeks ago, I purchased a Garmin Navigation system, model "Nuvi 660". It's an AWESOME Nav system. 4.3 inch screen, Bluetooth (for hands free phone), this, that, the other, etc.

For installation, I was not too keen on having it attached from the Windshield (illegal where I live (CA)), nor did I want it attached from the Dash itself. The first weekend, (Feb 24), I removed one of the Air Con outlets in the middle of the dash, the one closer to the driver. I then "plugged" the air outlet inside the dash, so no Air/heat would come out that vent. I installed the attachment arm inside the Air Con vent, so the Nav unit was just in front of where the air diverter was. I also wired in a new Cigarette Lighter receptical under the dash, and routed the power wire to this, so there was no cord on the outside. It wasn't bad, but even when I bought the unit, I had high hopes of installing it "IN-DASH". I am somewhat concerned about theft. This past weekend, I went for it. My neighbors must have thought I was CRAZY, as I had the center panel out of the car (the silver one that covers radio, air vents, air/heat controls. I had to use a dremel to cut away some of the molded plastic/rubber on the dash. The chips were flying everywhere, smell of burning rubber, etc. I had to cut and seperate the air con outlets, as they are a single unit for the two outlets. I could almost hear the "What the hell is he doing to his car"...

I can't believe how nice it turned out. It even exceeded my expectations. So now, instead of 2 air outlets in the center of the dash, there is a Nav system in the left one. I was sure I was going to have to install an external antenna, and possibly external microphone and speaker, but to my surprise, the system still gets FULL strength reception from the satellites. And even though the microphone on the front of the Nav unit is now covered by the dash, it still works just fine. People say they can't even tell I am on a speaker phone...

Can't wait to post some pictures. I may even go into business installing these things in Chargers/Magnums/300's... (LOL)

Anyone know how to post pictures here?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,026
    You can post pictures on your CarSpace page and then link them here using the IMG format tool beneath the post box.

How about creating a guide? I'm sure there are other do-it-yourself types that would appreciate it.

http://www.carspace.com/guides

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Thanks, Karen...

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,026
    Wow, you did a nice job! :shades:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

disc-You did a great job.Maybe you can get some work from your local dealers to install them.That fits in nice.
  • Thanks Karen, Thanks xtec....

I am very happy with how it turned out. There are some drawbacks. The unit is no longer "portable", and I will have to take it out if I want to update the software. but now that I know how, it would'nt take that long.

As for doing some side jobs, not sure if I want to risk cutting someone else's dash with a dremel. Then again...
  • Anyone know how many of these were made originally?
  • picking up my r/t steel blue on friday,i have not decided if i should get a spoiler or not any suggestions
    Yes!The spoiler makes a big differance.I have a SXT,and it improved the looks.I got mine from Sportwing.com.Great price, warranty,and they come painted if you want.If you get one ,get the factory looking one (Daytona-SRT).Good Luck with your R/T.
  • picking up my steel blue rt on monday.should i go for the tinted windows.should the front tint be lighter.what about a spoiler.any help appreciated
    Did you read my post the one before yours #58?Yes on tint,but find out what the law says in your state.Most of the time the front is lighter so the cops can see you when or if they stop you.I hope this helps.
  • Is anyone aware that it takes the computer some time to adjust to any modifications?? A simple trick is unhook your battery overnight and when you power it back up the system senses the changes and resets.
  • I just recently bought an 08 charger SRT8. I am thrilled with it but I have the performance bug! I added a K&N cold air intake system, Jet chip coming Monday, and I am putting on a magna flow exhust in two weeks. Is there any other addition
    I can make that will increase my performance without costing me thousands more like the supercharger?
    Headers,and high flow converters,throttle body spacer.I hope you can your SRT on the ground.Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.