Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Charger Routine Care & Maintenance

mm2097mm2097 Posts: 6
Hey everyone,

I have a Daytona and REALLY need to clean the interior. What is everyone using??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:

Comments

• A vacuum cleaner.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    Low gloss Armor All, small brush while I vacuum.
  • Im thinking this is the best place to ask this. Im am currently thinking of buying a Dodge Charger 2006 3.5L V6 SXT model sometime in the summer. Though the Charger has only been out in production 1-2 yrs now, is there any major mechanical problems on it?

Reason for this is because my cousin is scaring me that this vehicle haves many more issues than the 2006 Chevy Impala LT im looking into.
    I have a Pontiac Grand Am and its nothing but problems and im straying away from GM. Just want your opinions on the Charger than from what Im reading in magazine reviews.
  • xtecxtec Posts: 354
    I have the car your thinking about buying.I had my Charger 18 months and had so far no problems with it.I like the car very much and it has good power,fuel mileage is about 19-20 in the city.Great ride and enjoy driving it.I think its the best Dodge ever made.I been buying Mopars since '70,and hope to keep buying them in the future.Good Luck ,I hope this helped.
  • thank you for your response. It was well appreciated and I will take what you said into consideration when I look into buying this beauty.
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    Why a 2006? Are you looking to buy used?
    I have been happy with my SXT purchase but would buy the R/T if I had the chance to do it all over again.
    I drive in the city and with all the stop and go I have been getting 14-16 mpg.
    The V6 fuel economy savings is almost non-existant plus you have friends/coworkers saying "does that thing have a hemi"?
    There isn't much feedback with the Charger here. Check out chargerforums.com and you will get lots of help.

Funny you mention the :lemon: Impala. I purchased a new 01 Impala and it was nothing but problems. First the aluminum cradle creak then the steering, intake manifold and then the transmission. Even with my $1800 in GM Visa points I won't buy another GM car again.
  • Because of insurance reasons. Im only 22. I really would like to get the Hemi. be sweet. But I might lean that way. I sat in a buddies SXT and he said the same thing that fuel economy on the 3.5L is non existant. Plus looking into this car I shouldnt have to worry about that. Its a sports car = gas money spent.

Thanks for the respose though
    batista-
    Why does your mileage suck?My Sxt has been great on gas and lot better then my 02 Intrepid(Sxt) with the same engine.If thats all your getting,I would have it checked out.I got 18-19(city) with my Intrepid and was pleased when My Charger was better.As for the Hemi,its a great engine but eats gas,and the Hemi is only about 1 1/2 seconds faster.Plus I don't think the price of gas is going down to soon.
    It's not only me with low city fuel economy.
    If you check out chargerforums.com there are some members who report very similar mpg as the R/T model.
    The new more accurate ratings with the EPA shows 17/24 for the SXT while the R/T gets 15/23.
    My previous car was rated at 19/29 and I consistently got 16-18 so it's not a big deal. Plus, this car weighs 500lbs more than the Impala and more HP.
    I find the SXT model to be good in performance but not good at quick bursts of acceleration at highway speeds. I can live with this because I seldom drive on the highway. What helps is if you put in autostick mode instead of "drive" because that takes away the delay in downshifting.

Very true about the price of gas. That is why I chose the SXT and the fact that I rarely get the chance to open it up because of the city traffic.
    batista-

I just filled my tank,and I got 20.4 MPG.This is city driving only with no/ac.My last tank was 19.8.The last time I filled up I put a bottle of STP fuel injection cleaner in which gave me the 20.4.I use the STP cleaner every 4k miles,to keep the injectors clean.If your mileage is that bad ,you should try the cleaner and see what happens.
    Hi xtec.

That's excellent fuel economy the 3.5L Charger.
    My fuel economy is improving a bit since I only have 4500 miles on my car. My best so far has been 17.2 mpg (worst was 14.8) almost all city. I reset the trip odometer after each fill-up.
    You have an edge in fuel economy because of the warmer climate. I live in the pacific northwest and have yet to use AC because summer hasn't arrived quite yet.
    Once I have more miles I will try your suggestion of fuel injector cleaning.
  • Even when I "baby" my 3.5L SXT all the way through a tank, I think the best I have done was 18 MPG (city). It's just not nearly as fun though, so "Speed Racer" it is...

Next month, she'll be 2 years old. As of today, I wouldn't trade this car for ANY other car on the market (in the same price range). Now, when the new Challenger comes out, I may have to seriously consider getting a two door. That thing looks awesome...

As for the Hemi, when I bought my Charger, the only version they had with the Hemi included Nav, steering wheel controls, and some other features, all of which I would love to have gotten. The only thing was, it was $5500 more than the SXT, ant they were not willing to take ANY $ off the sticker. I left, hoping they would stop me on the way out, which they did not. I went back an hour later to "negotiate" on the SXT, and managed to get $2000 off...

CHARGE ON !!!
    I do have a advantage like batista says I live in AZ and its been in the 90s the last month or so,now its in the 100s and that helps.plus I run premium.I'm going to have to use my A/C so that will drop it around 1 mpg.Plus I drive like A old lady.With the price of gas im driving like there is a egg under my gas pedal.
    Why premium? Do you notice a difference?
    When I purchased my car the dealer filled the tank up (cheapskates) with regular and I wasn't happy about it because I had read that these cars require mid-grade. Have been using 89 almost all the time.
    I tried a tank of 92 and it felt a bit smoother but no difference in fuel economy. How about you?
  • I used to put 89, since the owners manual said too. But when gas went "RIDICULOUS" (here is So. Cal), and I had also read some 'expert' say you only need to use >87 if your car "pings" with 87, I tried the 87, and found no noticable difference or pinging...

At least gas is back under $3 ---> YEAH !!
    Yes I notice the differance,and I seen hot rod books which ran a car on all three grades, and premium had the best performance.The 3.5 is a high output engine,so you should use nothing less then 89 octane.If you have a engine thats not high output,premium would be a waste.I do recommend going up one grade to get better mileage,and performance.I proved it with my wife's 03 Mazda Tribute.It calls for regular,but I put in mid-grade.This is the 3.0 liter V6.Its mileage is rank 19city from the factory.I'm getting over 20 with A/C.little over 21 without A/C.Plus higher grades have more detergants to keep the inj. clean.And STP fuel Inj. cleaner every 4k miles.If you have a K&N get rid of it.It dragged my mpg and performance down.The stock filter is a high air flow and I found it was better then the K&N.
    http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=1210

Gains:
    9 RWHP
    17 RWTRQ

Xtec what do you think? Worth getting?
    It looks pretty good and good price.Add that to your duals and you will see a improvement,and it should help with the MPGs.I'm done putting money in mine,but if you have the bucks i think it would be beneficial.Let me know if you do it.The duals give you 10 HP and 6lbs. of torque.Add the headers your talking about 270 horse,not bad.
    Some R/T owners have reported error codes showing up when having headers installed. Not sure if its worth the trouble.
    Also, I am not a mechanic like yourself so I would have to pay for the install.
    I will consider it when other owners are satisfied with their results.

Also, a few people have superchargers installed w/3.5L engine. A manufacturer in Florida claims 65 rear wheel horsepower increase for $2500.00. Not bad but not worth it because it would void your warranty.
    I'm retired now with a bad back,so I would have to pay to get the headers put on.Thats whats kills me,I have to pay for things I use to do for a living and now only make sure I don't get ripped off ,like couple places tried to do to me,but caught them ripping me off.I still have the knowledge.As far as the codes showing up, they would have to reprogram the computer.Advance the timing,and adjust the fuel ratio.I would like to know how the 3.5 with the supercharger runs.By the time you put all that money into it,you could get the R/T.