Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Entourage: Should I Buy One?

Comments

• golddog1golddog1 Posts: 13
    I believe the quality perception of both Toyota and Honda are overblown (look at the new Camry transmission problems and the Avalons issues). I currently own a 2004 Sienna and quality has been marginal. Sunroof rattle, numerous squeaks, 2 recalls, trim issues (missing screws in interior and exterior wheel wells)liftgate drops in cold weather etc... Hondas have also had their share of problem with the Odyssey. I will definitely consider the Entourage for our next van and feel their quality has definitely improved.
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Posts: 122
    The only recurring issue that I've read about on the HyunKIA minivan is that drivers above 6'3" are often too crampt in the driver's seat and wish there was an additional 2" of seat track movement. Oh, and the occasional TPMS sensor error. Engine, Trans, drivetrain, build quality....all major issues are apparently near flawless.
  • Conventional wisdom says not to buy a car in its first model year. Since Hyundai owns Kia and Kia has been selling the Sedona (the same car as the Entourage) for a year now, would it be fair to say that the Hyundai has learned from the Kia experience and that the Entourage is not really in its first model year.
    I would feel better buying a 2007 Sedona (the second model year) but am I getting just as good car with the 2007 Entourage?
  • pelican19pelican19 Posts: 323
    YOU MENTION THE TPMS ERROR, can you explain?
  • hlphlp Posts: 2
    According to the dealer in San Diego, the Entourage has been on the market for 3 yrs. The Korean companies do not roll out their cars to the US first but try them at home and in other markets. If that is true, your concerns about this being an untested model are moot.........they've had 3 yrs to work out any bugs.

I've ridden in my friend's 3 yr old Sienna and before it had 20,000 miles on it, the thing developed all kinds of squeaks and squacks, not to mention the recalls for the fuel tank exploding and then seat belts not tensioning, plus the rear tires wore strangely due to poor alignment and the CD player went kapootz. Contrast that $30,000 plus car w/ our fleet vehicle - cheapest Dodge Caravan they make and it's amazing! I'm not fond of Dodge due to comfort but this car has over 77,000 miles on it and zero trouble. My friends Sienna, same yr but 30,000 miles less, isn't going to hold up as well at the same mileage.

Another friend has a newer top of the line Odyssey and the MPG has been most disappointing -- only 16 in town, where most minivan families do their driving -- might as well get a crew cab truck and use diesel! Seems that Honda & Toyota's quality has been hyped and that really, nowadays, unless you get a lemon, any brand should easily take you 100,000 miles.
  • I also had a problem with TPMS - in the cold weather it seemed to malfunction. Pressure was fine when I checked it (on all tires) manually. I've also had a problem with one of the sliding doors that occasionally doesn't want to latch closed. Gas mileage is just awful, but other than those 3 minor annoyances, the vehicle has been great. At 5'11" the driver's seat is just right for me - I wouldn't want to be any taller as I have it maxxed out.
    There are several cosmetic features the Entourage has the Sedona does not that attracted my wife and I. Chrome handles, spoiler with much larger 3rd brake light and a better looking grill. The only issues we have had are the same, gas consumption, driver side sliding door that refused to latch several times( corrected by dealer with minor adjustment ) and the TPMS issue from time to time. Overall a great Van.
  • Let me add to the other posters about my TPMS malfunction light coming on in my 2+ week old Entourage. Tire pressure is good, and no other cause that I can think of based on info in manual. Dealer said he would put vehicle on computer (had to update his computer for Entourage). Also have had one sliding door not want to latch occasionally. Other than those two minor problems, love the vehicle. Have put 1,500 miles on in about two weeks and have had no other issues. It's been a great road car.
  • Went back to the dealer today. He said that he was getting a code for the left front wheel (tire pressure is fine, so it is not the tire). But he said when he attempted to find, I believe, the receptor for the signal from the wheel transmitter, he could not find it where the Hyundai service guides said it was supposed to be. He said the Hyundai TPMS system is fairly new, and he has not had experience with it yet. He said he has a tech going to Hyundai training tomorrow and he instructed the tech to ask about the TPMS code he is getting and call him back during the day with the help from Hyundai (they were closed today for the holiday).
  • burnieburnie Posts: 10
    I ve had nothing but problems with my 2007 Entourage that I got 2 days before Christmas...I would have taken Coal instead..I m 8 months pregnant and I am living at Planet Hyundai In Las Vegas...The shimmy they thought was tires or alignment ...has now gotten to replacing the axle ...Still Shimmies at 50+..I m going to dealership again...My time and aggrevation.I would rather be getting the nursery ready, but I need a reliable vehicle to get to the hospital and home with a newborn....HYUNDAI doesnt cut it....Pay the extra $$ and buy Toyota or Honda... :lemon:
    Your dealer has let you down NOT Hyundai. Your dealer should be providing you with a loaner until the problem is resolved. Your dealer has given you an Entourage that IMO has sustained serious damage prior to delivery or the techs have no clue what they are doing.

If you have not contacted anyone but the dealer on this issue its time to do so. I have included a number for you to contact.

Let us know how you make out.

HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SATISFACTION 800 633 5151
  • burnieburnie Posts: 10
    Have been on the phone with corporate and seen factory representative on Friday...I think Hyundai knows the deal...I took a brand new Entourage off lot for a test drive & it does the exact same shimmy/vibration...the car vibrates soooo much my 4 yr old asked "Why I was driving on the Reflectors?"
    I think a major recall is in the near future..It s not just my vehicle...Take it for a test ride on the highway & 75-80mph the steering wheel shakes uncontrollably and the seats in the car shake...Not what you would expect for $27,000..They gave me a loaner-Sonata..but I BOUGHT a minivan because of the young one & #2 on the way,,,I do not want to live at the Dealership anymore...I think they have an engineering fault between 17 inch tires & suspension...BUT IT S NOT MY PROBLEM TO FIGURE OUT...I JUST WANT MY $$$ BACK AND LET ME GET BACK TO MY LIFE BEFORE HYUNDAI... :lemon:
  • josm100josm100 Posts: 30
    Hi Burnie, I'm sorry for your trouble. Your case seems to be isolated however as others are delighted with their cars. I read in another forum about a special balancing mechanism that fixes the problem. here is a link to the forum link title
    Otherwise, I've noticed your posts on other forums to the extent that as soon as I see a negative attitude before reading the posters name I find myself thinking "O! there's Bernie again!" I've also noticed that your approach has been slightly irrational, a calmer, more dignified, and reasonable approach may yeild much better results. Others, including me, have been delighted with the car and the service, try a different approach and maybe you too can enjoy your purchase. :)
  • tomcat5470tomcat5470 Posts: 8
    Burnie: I wish you a good resolution to your challenges.

To anyone else who is considering an Entourage, I would suggest a thorough test drive (or 2 or 3), and make sure it fits you well. I have had mine for a week now, and thought that I could make the seat slide back further (by modifying it after purchase (I am 6'4")). I tried tonight, so far, I haven't got it where I want it. Plus the seats don't actually pivot their backrests at the bottom; they kind of place the pivoting area at the bottom of one's back, and create a less comfortable seat than most. (especially on the 2nd row seats).

The safety features being standard on all trims, the great engine, and the price lured me to buy this, and I still will want to make it work out. Also, the suspension on the GLS is a wee bit stiffer than Grand Caravan, and maybe the Limited Entourage. Here again, I was tired of the Grand Caravan, and wanted more of a "driver's car" experience.

Hyundai is very close to being a large threat to Honda, Toyota, and Chrysler if they prove to have reliability, and tweak up the comfort a bit, plus come up with something like stow and go. The drivetrain is a tough thing to pass up, but make sure that everything else can work out for you.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Posts: 248
    Hey Tom
    If you have the Limited make sure the adjustable pedals are all the way down. I'm 6'5", mostly torso, with 34 inseam, but I'm comfortable without the seat being in the farthest back position.
  • tomcat5470tomcat5470 Posts: 8
    Hi Dave:

I have the GLS, and 36" inseam. I put in some washers at the front seat rack mounting point, to lift up the front seat cushion a bit, after seeing that I couldn't relocate the rack / rail back any. The Limited has a broader range of adjustments with its power seat - the manual adjustment for seat height on the GLS lifts the rear more than the front, very goofy, IMO. But having accessing to lowering the rear of the seat bottom, and raising the front of the seat cushion has always made more comfort for me. I probably should have looked at getting an SE, to split the difference on price between GLS and Limited, but still get the power seats.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Posts: 248
    Very clever of you, Tom. It's tough being tall in a short person's world ;) ......just kidding folks
  • scrazscraz Posts: 3
    Air pressure sensors are very accurate, but remember, air pressure changes with the temperature. I'm guessing you are in a cold climate. I had the same issue and the dealer pointed this out. Makes scientific sense. I have no problems with air pressure during warm months. Suggest putting an extra pound or two in during winter.
  • rav12rav12 Posts: 1
    I have Hyundai Entourage, when taking right turns that are slightly elevated for e.g. driving into my drive way, I get grinding/clunky noise from the front on the driver side. It is like dragging metal shovel on side walk/

I took it to the dealer, initially they suspected strut on the passenger side and replaced it but the noise was still there...then they replaced tie end joint...and then finally after getting some tech help from Hyundai techline they replaced the sway bar and some bushes, then they replaced driver side strut the problem is persistant and easily reproducible...

I am not sure what else is left to be checked or changed in the front suspension
    ...it has been with the dealer most of the time after I bought it...I am really being patient all these days :) but I am getting disappointed now...

The dealer is very receptive and trying his best but looks like it is going no where except me revolving around the dealership..

could any one please help..
  • genricogenrico Posts: 1
    I read that a Sacramento Bee reviewer warned that the Entourage's AC might not be strong enough for drivers in hotter climates: "The minivan's air-conditioning system struggled in the Sacramento area's summer heat, taking many minutes to cool down a moderately hot interior, even with the setting set at full-blast." I don't know which model year was tested. I am car shopping and would appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with minivan air conditioning after having to park in the sun in a hot climate.