Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5: Recalls

Comments

• If you have the tinting done professionally, you probably will have very limited choice of tint manufacturers. The people who do the tinting will have chosen the product(s) they like to work with and that have given them the best results.

The gilafilms link on my pagetuner page http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/windowtint.html
    about window tints was just so you could get more info about the particular product I used when I did it myself. I had purchased the gila film product at Autozone, and I specifically chose a tint that goes on without adhesive and that could thus be removed without trauma if I didn't like the job I did. It is not as clear as the adhesive films, but it allowed me to test drive the darker tint (which it turns out I like fine) while leaving myself an escape clause.

pagetuner
    http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    No new information, really, but at least now the dealers can't say they 'dont know' what the problem is.

Don't make assumptions... The initial info from Mazda went out to us late friday via email. We all know alot of dealers arent real good with email.
    The folks on edmunds knew it before I did....I spoke to two other Mazda dealers today and they didn't know about the recall.
  • I called the NHTSA office of the Federal Trade Commision and there
    is no federal recall which means that Mazda is not looking to make
    this public. I also contacted the Georgia Governor's Office of Consumer
    Complaints in inquiring about the lemon law for this vehicle. Problem is
    Mazda has not attempted to notify either. Hmmmm. :lemon:
  • ffunffun Posts: 29
    I just talked to my dealer and he hadn't heard about it yet. He made some calls and got back to me in about 1 hour and told me to bring it in. That means this recall applies to Canada as well.
  • Well, from my own experience, u better request that u want a new MPV because they are gonna fix the 5 up to a month. And they might give u small rental car if u don't request. Good luck
  • I work at a dealer and we didnt hear about this until this morning. i just got done talking to someone from mazda and they said that it has something to do with the exhaust hanger. that is all i know.
  • Ummm, this appears to be a voluntary recall on Mazda's part, not one that has gotten so bad that the NHTSA orders the manufacturer to issue one. So Mazda is doing the smart thing here. Also, lemon laws wouldn't apply here. I think Mazda gives you a copy of the lemon law with your owners manual so you can see where that might apply. I think it requires that the car be brought back 4 times for the same problem. Here is a link to an explanation of lemon law in layman's terms:
    http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_LemonSample.html
  • When I took our 5 in this morning we had a choice between the three remaining Mazda loaners on the dealer's lot, two 2004 3's and a 626. I was glad to get a yellow 3 with leather interior and moonroof. Even though it is an automatic, it is very fun to drive and the yellow is growing on me! The employee who handles loaners/rentals had just found out about the 5 recall this morning and mentioned to me the 3 was parked next to a new Strato Blue 5 the dealer had just purchased for loaner/rentals. Nice color in the sunlight! So, I'm wildly guessing this dealership has sold over 10 5's (It is one of the top 25 Mazda dealer's in the nation). I wonder if they will take the MPV $1,500 $50 a day incentive, and purchase several MPV's from their dealer stock for the other 5 owners. I'm happy to get the 3 :) .

Of course, I don't have to sit in the back... sorry kids.
  • I called the NHTSA office of the Federal Trade Commision and there
    is no federal recall which means that Mazda is not looking to make
    this public.

From the e-mail I received from Mazda:

We sent you this letter before the official recall notification, which
    you’ll receive soon, because we wanted you to have the opportunity to
    begin the repair process on your MAZDA5 as soon as possible.

I read this to mean Mazda has informed NHTSA (after all it is a safety issue) and in due time I'll be hearing from NHTSA. Also, I'm part of the public and I think Mazda was on top of letting owners know there was a problem and working to make sure this problem is address properly.

Sounds like you want out of your vehicle.
  • ffunffun Posts: 29
    If you put an armrest on the left side of the front passenger seat you would not be able to open the center storage compartment in it's current configuration. Even if you changed the way it opens it would not be very accessible if there was another arm rest there.
  • qnyqny Posts: 3
    You must mention the 1,500 + 50/day mazda incentive to the dealer in order to get a better loaner car. We do not know how long we're going to be stuck with it.

The dealer initially gave me an MPV with 12,000 miles but filthy interiors. After I complained and mentioned the Mazda incentive, they gave me a brand new Tribute-SUV with less than 300 miles. Mazda is trying to do things right. The dealer may not.
  • I finally talked to somebody at the dealership who knew what to do about the recall. They told me to come straight in and they would take care of me. The dealership was very nice about the recall. The guy told me they would keep it in a protected part of the lot and he did a walkaround to note that there weren't any dings or scratches for me. I hate the thought of leaving my new baby there for as long as a month, but they assured me they'd take good care of it and keep me updated as they get new info.

Now the not-so-good part. They don't have a loaner program but work with an adjacent Enterprise. They gave me the number and I set up an MPV loan. Got there and all they had was a Kia Sedona. I told the young lady at the desk that I had reserved an MPV and she told me that's what I was getting, a minivan. I explained to her that I had specifically asked for a MAZDA MPV and she said they don't have any, sorry. I had the choice of the Kia or a Chevy Aveo they had on hand if mileage was a concern. I took the Kia. I don't know if I'll be able to drive this thing for a month. What a piece of junk.

The steering and brakes are horrible and it handles like my friend's Suburban. It has a bit more low-end power than the 5, but with all that extra weight and size, it's still a pig. Of course there isn't a sunroof or climate control and the rear seats don't fold flat, but I could deal with those issues if this thing was at least going to give me some driving enjoyment in the meantime. Alas, I might end up having to call Enterprise and exchange it for something smaller. :(
  • I too ended up at a nearby Enterprise. Right now I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. All I can say is that this car really makes me appreciate the 5! The dealer was cool about everything and did their best to make it work smoothly. I miss my car already... :(
  • Brought our car in this evening- as others have stated, the dealer has no information, though they were accomadating with a loaner. Originally they were going to give us an 6 Sedan, but I requested an MPV since I sometimes need to carpool. I hate minivans! The MPV is such a boat to drive- it makes me like my 5 even more than I did before. The only cool thing is the automatic sliding doors. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.
  • I feel sorry for you having to take a Rendezvous. That was one of the only cars that I test drove before I bought my 5 that I new instantly that I didn't want. I couldn't judge the distance of the front and when I looked out the side window I was looking straight into the side mirrors! It was a bad fit for me!

I love my 5 and can't wait to get it back!
  • kevkkevk Posts: 4
    Got the call from my dealer this morning. Took my 5 in at noon and there were 5 other 5s in the service bay. I think Mazda is handling this efficiently and properly. They knew we were coming in and had brand new (mine had four miles on the odometer and all kinds of options) MPVs all lined up and ready to go for us. Obviously Mazda is reimbursing them for what will be "used" MPVs when they come back and handling this properly. If your dealer isn't providing you with an MPV or a nice alternative, I'd try taking it to another dealer. The sales guys were a bit upset because they have to fix all of our 5s before they even look to service the new ones on the lot and it sounds like they were doing brisk sales of the 5.

On a side note, if you are looking for a great deal on an almost new MPV with a thousand or two mile on it - there should be a bunch showing up in a month! My service guy figures they'll be loaning out about 20! :)
  • kevk,

That's great service from your dealer. I learned about my recall from these boards over the weekend.

Most of the posters here received proactive calls from their dealers about the recall.
    However, I had to call my service manager on Monday morning to talk about the recall and ask for a loaner for my Mazda5. I requested a MPV because I needed the space.

When I arrived at the dealer, they were not a bit apologetic and treated my loaner car transaction as a matter-of-fact incident. When I picked up my car from the service bay, a service technician pointed to a Mazda 6 sedan and said 'this is all I got'. I said that can't be right because I arranged for a MPV. The service technician then picked up a key from the key box, walked me over to a MPV and just walked away, not even explaining why he offered me a 6 in the first place.

The 2004 MPV LX had 10k miles on it, less than 1/4 tank of gas, and was filthy inside and and out. It also smelled of smoke. yech. It was a long day so I just drove away from the dealership.

Today, I called the service manager and asked if he had new MPVs for me to switch and mentioned the $1500 incentive from Mazda. He got defensive and said 'Where did you hear that from!?". I explained to him that I heard it from the message boards and he said 'it's a choice they have and they do not plan to exercise that choice'. Well, I respect that but I just wish that they could make this experience a more pleasant one.

I'm just going to take it to a carwash and clean it inside and outside and not ever take my car to the dealer/service station again. It's tough to get some love here in NYC Metro area.

PS - I asked the service guy if they notified any other Mazda 5 owners, and the guy said 'No - not yet'. yikes!
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    After I complained and mentioned the Mazda incentive, they gave me a brand new Tribute-SUV with less than 300 miles.

Just to clarify: the dealer only gets the $1,500 + $50/day incentive if he loans out a brand new 05 MPV, right? How does the dealer benifit by giving you a brand new Tribute? Or does the dealer get the $1,500 no matter what he loans out? I'm curious because the used Mazda6 that I got as a loaner certainty isn't worth $1,500 + $50 per day.
  • The MPV I got also smells of smoke- it's just rude to smoke in a loaner, especially a minivan. I have a helpful hints book that says that you can put little bowls of vinegar in a room to get rid of smoke smell- we are going to leave a little cup of vinegar over night in the car and see if it helps. At least it is nice out and I can just leave the windows down all the time, though we miss being able to put down the windows in the back seat- such a great feature of the 5.

We are also in NYC metro, wonder if it is the same dealer.
  • Well I do not know about you guys but the management
    at a local dealership just north of the Atlanta area do not
    seem to keen to following the procedures of the $1500 of
    incentives and the consumer is loosing out big time.

There is a saying that once the car is off the lot, the value
    of the car is 20% less. With the fact that there is a recall
    on these depreciation just went through the roof. Case in
    point is the Nissan Quest which sold at $23,000 new and
    used with 3,000 miles sold for $16,500.

Mazda is somewhat being proactive, but their efforts are
    being hampered by greedy dealerships who would prefer
    to pocket the money rather than use it for customer
    satisfaction. At the same time they are trying to keep the
    issue quiet on a national level.

I do not know about others here but my dealership did not
    contact me at all even a day after the recall. Driving family
    in the vehicle that has the potential to overheat and catch
    on fire seems like good reason to contact the customer
    immediately.

If there was a way to get an equivalent or better vehicle for
    the same price and take my check back, I would. Unfortunately,
    there are no other vehicles in this category. Mazda should be
    contacting us as to
    1) When the car will be repaired
    or
    1) Giving an option of a upgrade car replacement due to the
    indefinite time the car will be undergoing repairs.
This discussion has been closed.