Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Doors & Locks

Has anyone had trouble with their keyless remote working? Mine used to work all the time, now when I click it to either lock or unlock the doors it only works maybe one in ten times. I brought it by the dealer and he said it is a radio signal and things must be interfering. I will now have to bring my Mazda 5 back in again so that they can reprogram something in the computer to hopefully make it work again. The list is growing! :lemon:

Comments

• yugoboyyugoboy Posts: 161
    Haven't posted in edmunds forum in ages however a vehicle like the mazda 5 warrants discussion as it is the first of it's kind in north america. I have the opportunity to get into a m5 gt model manual, my question is given the recall and other minor problems would the owner's of the m5 still recommend it. I know of no other vehicle that can transport 6 individuals and still deliver outstanding driving dynamic and fuel economy.

Also one last tid bit noticed that passenger seat does not have armrest?, and are audio control's illuminated during night time driving? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

High demand for M5 in western Canada.

Thanks
  • yugoboyyugoboy Posts: 161
    Sorry to clarify audio control's on steering wheel!!??

Thanks,
  • ffunffun Posts: 29
    I have a M5 Manual GT and I highly recommend it. I haven't had any problems with it before or after the recall. I haven't driven it with 6 adults but it performs well with 2 adults and 4 kids.

The passenger seat does not have an armrest. I believe this is because an armrest would restrict access to the storage compartments between the seats.

The audio controls on the steering wheel are lit at night.

I love driving a manual transmission. This is one of the very few legitimate 6 passenger vehicles that you can get with a manual transmission.
  • ffun is right: stickshift Mazda 5 is terrific choice. Gearshift and clutch are smooth and natural-feeling, and car feels light on its feet. The four back seats are in a different config every couple of days, depending on who and what is being driven where. Long-distance passengers can choose to sit in third row, with feet up on folded second-row, or in second row, with seat-backs reclined. Neither of these options is available in a sedan.

pagetuner
    http://pagetuner.com/mazda5
  • ffun is right: stickshift Mazda 5 is terrific choice. Gearshift and clutch are smooth and natural-feeling, and car feels light on its feet. The four back seats are in a different config every couple of days, depending on who and what is being driven where. Long-distance passengers can choose to sit in third row, with feet up on folded second-row, or in second row, with seat-backs reclined. Neither of these options is available in a sedan.

pagetuner
    http://pagetuner.com/mazda5
  • If I go out to the parking lot to find my 5spd crushed by a meteorite, I will go and buy another. (ah, that means yes, I'd recommend it)
  • Correct - - No passenger side seat armrest.... Yes, the audio controls (steering wheel) are illuminated during night time driving - as are the cruise control buttons.

I'd still recommend a 5 to anyone. Even w/ the recall, and now a new problem I'm having now that it is cold - my sliding doors will not latch. The latching mechanism is freezing, and so far, the only "fix" is to heat it w/ a hair dryer. I have an appt. w/ the dealer to get this looked at tomorrow....
  • hifivehifive Posts: 72
    Do you park your car outside? It has been extremely cold here (minus 3 degrees). I haven't had any problem with that, but rarely park outside for very long.

My car was finally fixed for the recall, I have been driving it since June when we bought it. I haven't noticed any difference in the shifting or anything. It seems a little smoother now, but could be my imagination. I had the oil changed at the same time though.

HiFive :)
  • Yes - we do park it outside, as we live in an older home w/a VERY small one car garage. We live inn S. WI, and this December the average temp has been more than 10° below normal. The problem started last weekend when we were in MN - near the Twin Cities. The car was filthy, so we went through a car wash (w/ dryer). When we got to my uncle's house, we could not get either door closed until we heated the latches w/ a hair dryer. Temps were near 0°F.... Problem has persisted, even thought temps have been warming all week.... Dealer called Mazda service, and they've had a few other similar complaints - it's in for service right now - not sure what the fix will be...
    I am in the Twin Cities, and haven't had that problem, but like I said, I rarely park outside. Good to know if it happens to me though. I hope they fix it for you, let me know what happens.

HiFive in Minnesota :)
  • edf4edf4 Posts: 65
    Could it just be a low battery? We've had our 5 for about two months, and like you, ours used to work all the time, and from some distance too. Now more and more, we have to be right up near the vehicle for it to work, but at that distance, we've never had it not work. It's our first car with a remote door lock opener so we thought it's just a battery issue. Let us know if it's more.
  • when I brought it to the dealer he said he did not think it was the battery. I used to have an expedition which also had a remote keyless entry and I never changed the battery in 6 years and never had any trouble with it either.
  • Keep us updated - I had the same problem in Central Ohio last week. The car was washed 3 days prior and the 'freezing' occurred in a parking lot. My wife drove the car 2 miles while I held the door closed from the front seat to the dealer. By the time we got to the dealer, it worked fine.

One thing that may help? The latch is in the rear of the sliding door and can be manually moved. I don't know if this would solve the problem temporarily or not.
    I had a problem with the keyless entry in October, I had driven on a very dusty dirt road, I think it might have been a salt sand mix on it also. The keyless stopped working all together. After i got the car washed, it started working again. I also noticed it doesn't have great range, I have to be within just a couple feet. I can be about 10 yards away with our Murano.

HiFive
  • Left it at the dealer for the day.... The say they fixed them - - fix = clean + lube of latch mechanism. Haven't had any trouble since. Though it's been 35°F+ and we've not had it washed.... Stay tuned...
  • See my earlier terply to this... Just want to put it out there to all M5 owners. If you're ahving this same problem - get it to your dealer to get fixed. The more they see this problem, the more like tech service is going to come up w/ a real remedy.
  • mkatmkat Posts: 8
    I've also been having the latch problem here in Chicago since last week. In my case, only the passenger side sliding door won't latch close in cold temperature. It only happens when the car sits outside for a few hours (car is parked outside during work) but the latch works fine once it sits in the garage for about 15 minutes.

Luckily, I was a block away from the dealer the fist time it happened. The service department was able to seal up the latch as a temporary fix and it seems to be working now. The service mgr told me they had 5-6 other Mazda5 owners at this particular dealer with the same complaint.

I also contacted Mazda USA to let them know about it and they said I should be receiving a letter from Mazda USA when a permanent fix is available. (Whenever that will be...) Not exactly sure why this is happening, but I was told that they will be re-designing the latch in the future. HTH.
  • I noticed today that since the keyless remote wasn't working, I had to open the driver's door with my key and then I pushed the electric unlock button on the door and it didn't work either. I turned on the ignition and tried again and this time it worked. I'm afraid I seem to be finding new problems daily.
  • thorwmthorwm Posts: 6
    The dealer's solution was to add some lube to the latch, even though 'there was enough on it already.' The service manager (and technician) said that they hadn't seen this with the 5 (there aren't many in northern Columbus - perhaps 10? - counting the 5 that I saw during the recall wait with 5 more waiting to be sold), They did say that freezing was common with sliding doors, especially after a car wash. It will be interesting to see if we get a letter from Mazda about a fix to this problem as noted by Mkat's earlier post).
  • acer5acer5 Posts: 1
    My 2002 mazda protege 5 recently had a drained battery, from a radio being left on. I tried to jump start it but it does nothing no crank ,anything.All the lights work and the radio and horn do since I charged it but still no start. Also I had to remove the horn fuse because it would not shut off. Help!