Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Suspension

Hey, all!

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the following: My Mazda5 produces an ugly sounding crunching, grinding noise from the front suspension whenever it is cold outside and I go over a large bump of some sort like a speed bump or a deep undulation where the suspension really articulates. It only happens when it's cold out, and since I live in NYC and we're in winter it gets cold out here.

I took it to my Mazda Service Center - and my 5 is still there - and they have checked everything out and said that everything is fine with the car and that they didn't find anything broken or worn or anything in the front suspension. Of course, I asked: "Then why is it making such a noise?" They explained the same thing to me that they explained the first time I took it a couple of months ago (see, I was growing worried since the noise was very disconcerting to me), which is that the type of suspension that the 5 has (E-type) can make noise in the cold whether when the rubber components rub against the metal components and in the cold it makes a harsh noise over larger bumps.

They said that whenever I go pick up my car that they will put it on the lift for me and take me under it to explain what they mean. I look forward to that, but in the meantime I wonder if any of you - especially the ones in Canada where it's really cold - have experienced this.

On a side note, my car has a strange tapping noise emanating from the dashboard anytime I go over any size or type of bump on the road at at least 20mph. The tapping is not obviously heard by passengers not familiar with the car unless you pay close attention to it, but it drives ME and my wife absolutely INSANE - especially at night when I like to drive in peach and quiet and all I hear is tap, tap, tap over any road irregularity. They are taking my dashboard apart to try and find the noise since one of their "technicians" finally heard it when I took him along for an umteenth road test. Previously, they thought I was crazy since they weren't able to hear anything, but this time around the tapping/clicking noise was pretty obvious. Anyone experience this?

Comments

• wusterwuster Posts: 153
    The tapping noise on emanating from the dash may be the windshield wiper blades "popping" off the windshield when you hit a bump.

I had a similar problem with my Mazda3 till I replaced the OEM wipers with an aftermarket wiper.

It was really strange. Almost seemed like the OEM wiper blades was too light.
  • isda65isda65 Posts: 74
    I have the same suspension noise problem. Have brought it to the dealer twice now and they don't have an answer. They are quite accomodating though. They always tell me to bring it in if I have a problem. But I always leave empty-handed. I read in another Mazda5 forum that Mazda is already aware of this issue and in the process of redesigning a suspension component to fix this. In my case, my right rear has had the crunching noise starting a week after I took delivery. The front noise only started about a month or two ago and is loud on cold mornings or rainy days.
  • Hey, I actually never thought of that. Perhaps, that's it. Though thinking back on the noise it may not seem to me right now that the wipers could be the problem, perhaps they are and there is no hurt in finding out if it's so. When I get my car back, I will tape the wipers to the windshield and see if it continues making the tapping noise. Thanks for the insight and feedback!!! I REALLY appreciate it. You have NO idea how much that noise drives me INSANE!

By the way, what does OEM mean?
  • You do have the same problem? REALLY? Thanks so much for letting me know. I appreciate it. I have posted about this before and no one has replied to it, so it's good to know that I'm not alone.

Now, where did you find out that Mazda is aware of this problem and that they are doing something about it in order to fix it?

And you are right, my Mazda service center is always very nice and accommodating, but I always leave empty handed since they always say that my car is totally fine. And you are right about the cold mornings and rainy days. That's exactly when I have the noise problem. It may not be anything important, but it sure does sound like something's broken. Thanks so much for responding to this. If you hear anything new about our problem, PLEASE keep me posted. Thanks!
  • isda65isda65 Posts: 74
    Here's the link: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=194

Click on the "5 Suspension, Rims and Tires" forum. There you will see the thread entitled "Front Right Suspension Crunching". You will find that we're not the only ones having this problem.
    OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer aka the car maker.
  • Regarding the tapping/clicking noise - whenever I am going between 5 and 35 mph and take my foot off the gas, I hear a clicking/rubbing noise from behind the dash. As soon as I put my foot back on the gas it stops. It is very annoying :mad:. As a result, I cannot stand to drive the car without the radio on. Does this sound like your problem or something different? BTW I have a 5 sp. manual.

I have heard the suspension noise a few times, but haven't worried about it. I live in a warmer climate than NYC.
    Does it happen all the time or during or just after making a turn?

The steering rack on the Mazda5 is electric, so sometimes you'll be able to hear the electric motor humming during a turn or just after the turn.
  • It happens a lot of the time - straight or turning doesn't make any difference. It is most pronounced when I am going about 30-35 in 3rd gear and take my foot off the gas, especially on colder mornings. I also hear it continually at lower speeds, it's just not as loud.
  • edf4edf4 Posts: 65
    Yes, here too in Connecticut. Our 5 was without any problems until we got it back from the dealer after its first oil change at 3,000 miles. While driving it home, I heard the very same "crunching" noise from the front end, and maybe the rear, whenever I hit the slightest bump, or dip in the road. On driveway aprons it is especially noticeable. I'm sure it's purely coincidental that it started after being at the dealer, but nevertheless annoying and I can't help but wonder if they "did something to it" by mistake at the oil change. I feel better knowing others have the same noise and will report it to my dealer this week.
  • bppbpp Posts: 3
    I am having the same type of noise coming from behind the dash as I take my foot off the gas. I also have a 5spd manual. I am in the Toronto area where it is cold.
  • Noise is noticeable in Washington DC when temps at freezing or below. We have a speed bump in our street and it's a nasty creaking early in the morning. Somewhat better if the vehicle has run for 15 minutes. I assume the suspension components have warmed through friction and radiational heat from the engine helps after a while.
    But it was a nice day today. Wife, two kids and the dog drove to a dog park in Virginia. Got lost a few times but that tight turning circle makes a breeze out of u-turns (should've got the nav :blush: ). Smooth, quiet, adequate power. And this vehicle is like Dr. Who's phone box, seems much bigger on the inside. Liking it better and better.
  • Does it bother you enough to take it into the dealer? I am considering calling my dealer to see if they can look into it, but I am not sure I will have luck. It is a pain to take time out to go into the dealer, but this noise bothers me. If there was a reason for the noise it wouldn't bother so much, but I don't like having to hear this noise every time I take my foot off the gas.
  • If it bothers you, take it to the dealership. Even if they don't have a solution for it yet, at least they will have a record that you have complained about it.

I understand Mazda is working on a solution for it - my 5 is in the shop today for this very problem, and they are replacing a number of parts in the hopes that it will be fixed.
  • I believe what the clicking/tapping noise we are hearing is commonly reffered to as "clutch chatter". I began to notice it as the weather became a bit colder. I experience it when coasting and while I'm changing gears. It seems to be temperature related because when it's warmer out I don't hear a thing. I've read several cars from different manufacturers have this issue. I need to schedule a visit to have it looked at, at worst case they give me a brand new clutch. No worries.

I also have heard the suspension noise when going over small bumps, again it's only when it's colder out. Other than that everything else is great.
  • Thanks for the input. I would be interested to know whether your dealer solved the problem, and what parts they replaced.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Posts: 155
    Seems to have mitigated the problem for now - they replaced the front left and right control arms.
  • bob_welshbob_welsh Posts: 16
    Brought my 5 in for oil change last month. Mentionned the noise when going over speed bumps or dips in the road. They told me it was the bushings on the stabilising bar. They also tried to grease them but that didn't work. So they ordered the pieces. It took 3 weeks. They replaced it yesterday and problem solved! Didn't want to say anything before just in case.

They still haven't figure out the acceleration hesitation problem though. Can't win them all.

Bob
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Posts: 135
    Hey, all!

I just wanted to inform everyone that my Mazda Service center has FINALLY taken care of this grating noise that my, and others', Mazda5's suspensions have. I am SOOOO HAPPY!

Some time ago, someone here posted a work order of what their service center had done to fix the suspension noise on their 5, and what I did was print out that work order along with all the posts in here about the noise and I took it to my dealer. I let them know that others have been experiencing the same noise and that I have a work order of a service center who took care of it. My dealer proceeded to do the same thing that was performed at the service center the work order came from. I got my 5 back and I am even MORE in love with it!

My 5 feels even newer now, like I just drove it off the lot. They replaced the bushings with the new redesigned ones and they replaced the stabilizer bars as well. The car feels FANTASTIC and BEST OF ALL there is NO NOISE coming from the suspension EVEN in LARGE potholes, bumps or dips in the road. This morning, I took it over a large speed bump in my neighborhood at speed and it felt AWESOME and didn't make ONE noise.

If you remember, I also complained about an annoying tap coming from my dashboard. They took apart my whole dashboard and told me they tightened up some things that seemed to be a little loose. That seemed to do the trick since I haven't heard it either. I am SOO happy about that since that noise annoyed me even more!

I'm so glad that my car isn't making any weird noises anymore and I just wanted to share this with y'all! If your car is making the same noise, please go to your service center and have them replace the bushings and stabilizer bars and you'll have a smoother riding, tighter handling, noise free perfect little micro minivan!
  • yarisyaris Posts: 3
    That's great news Nissmazlover. I could not find the previous post with the work order though. Could you direct me or possibly print your work order for us to bring to our dealerships? Thanks!!!