Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Suspension

Comments

• tejasm5tejasm5 Posts: 1
    Our 2006 Mazda5 has developed the same problem. First, it was a metallic crunching noise from the right front. Dealer replaced the bushings and control arm, and everything seemed perfect. Later, some noise returned, and it's been back to the dealer several times. They swear everything is normal, but we're experiencing the same handling problems you describe. Every little bump, or roads with high crowns to them, causes the car to over-react, which makes it feel very unstable and unsafe.

We have figured out one small issue with noise. We have an aftermarked Mazda "bra" on the front of the car. When the car hits a bump (even at 15mph), the right front tire hits the fender and undoes one snap on the bra. This makes a loud metallic crunching noise, like a can being crushed. I wonder if the shocks/struts have gone bad, causing the front to dip more than it should, causing the tire to rub the body.
  • bman9bman9 Posts: 5
    Like tejams5, I've read comments from a lot of folks who mention a crunching noise from the front right of the car. In the first 6 months of owning my 2007 Mazda5 Sport, I had a noise I would describe as a "squeaking" that increased in frequency with speed. It was most noticeable at low speeds, but it didn't seem to be prompted by steering input, braking. It was a mystery. It ultimately went away - and I never had it looked at by the Dealer. I'm now wondering if I should get the same "bushing and control arm" repair you had.

I'm interested in what repairs other people have had for this same front right noise issue.

With respect to the unstable twitching of the car when going over a bump at speed, I've been paying more attention when it happens. It feels like it's the rear suspension causing the problem. It rebounds too quickly or bounces up and down immediately after the bump, which prompts the need to quickly correct the steering. In my mind, this is the most serious issue - as there appears to be a safety risk.
    I will be reviewing this issue with my Dealer - and will inquire about front struts and rear shocks. Thank you.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Posts: 314
    bman9,
    Just to piggy back a little. I have gotten all four shocks/struts replaced by Mazda. Replacing the front struts made a huge difference in ride, handling and overall feel. The rear however, although still fairly new and not leaking feel very weak. When going over a dip at a speed of about 35-40mph the rear seems to bounce a bit to much for my liking. I was wondering if anyone here knows if Mazda3 rear shocks fit our MZ5s? If so, I am going to be looking for an aftermarket GAS shock replacement rather then the OEM soft HYDRAULIC shock. Gas shocks tend to be a bit stiffer and provide a better sporty, handling feel IMO, and since no one I know makes one specific to MZ5s, then I want to see if a MZ3 will be a direct fit.
  • yuryyury Posts: 146
    Quick question in regards to suspension - are those issues still present in 09?
  • trishr1trishr1 Posts: 75
    Regretfully I am now amongst the many who have to yet again take my Mazda5 in for creaking, very audible noise from the rear suspension - perhaps even new shock ( ;) but I'm sure its the same old thing).
    TSB below (13 pages)
    http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda5/bulletin/02-001-08-1918.pdf

I was pretty sure I had read somewhere that a Class Action Suit was in the thinking stages. After reading other forums, it seems that the time is right for such as stand. Mazda (aka Ford) don't think they need any bailout, right now :shades: but I suspect that consumers are a lot less tolerant of inferior workmanship and of being lead around the block by idiotic statements like " oh that's normal noise" or "we can't duplicate the issue" or any other lame excuse. It is the consumer who loses in the end with time wasted in dealing with problems that have not been resolved for a long, long time and presented itself in other Mazda vehicles (Protege) before the Mazda5 came on the scene in late 2005. It just can't be that hard to fix.
    For myself, this is the last Mazda I will every own, not that I won't ever be caught with a lemon from another manufacturer, but I know there will be fewer to chose from later on.
  • drgnldy9drgnldy9 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006. I bought it with about 18000 miles. I have had it in to the dealer for a/c failure, door lock problems and the clunking suspension noise which has gotten progressively worse! They have replaced springs, bushings, arms etc. and nothing really helped. The last time they said a bolt was missing. I'm not a mechanic but the missing bolt was probably a symptom, not a cause. I took it to a local independent mechanic who said it looked to him like a manufacturing defect I live in AZ, so it's sure not related to cold! Now it's out of warranty, so I would sure go for a class action.
    I'm definitely not happy with this vehicle.
  • Forget the cold weather! I have a 2008 Mazda5 that sounds like an old squeaky sofa. I can't find a TSB that applies to this model. Anyone know of one?
    This is all I could find for now. I subscribe (for free) to MyCarStats and receive notificiations regularly for my Mazda5.

http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/NHTSA__MAZDA_MAZDA5_technical_service_bulletin_- 234359.html
    NHTSA Item Number: 10023313
    Service Bulletin #: 0102206
    Replacement #:
    Vehicle/Equipment Make: MAZDA
    Vehicle/Eqipment Model: MAZDA5
    Model Year: 2008
    Mfg Component Code: 021000 SUSPENSION:FRONT
    Date of Bulletin: 2007-09-07
    Date Added: 2007-11-14
    Summary: FRONT CRANKSHAFT BOLT SERVICE WARNING. *NJ
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    Could it be possible to post the detailed TSB instructions? The component code and the summary above do not seem to make sense, especially for suspension noise.

Here is the latest TSB I know of, but does not apply to 08+:

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda5/bulletin/02-001-08-1918.pdf

Thanks
    Thanks, Trishr1 for posting the link to this Mazda5 bulletin. Very, very helpful for those of us with noisy 2007 Mazda5s.

Much appreciated.
  • drb05drb05 Posts: 24
    I had rea suspension noise - sort of grinding whenever I went over a hole or speed breaker. It was quite pronounced in cold weather (canada).

Dealer tried changed few thingsbut it still persisted.

I have moved back to US to a hotter west. I haven't noticed that noise any more (or atleast it is very very less pronounced).

I have 08 car. This wasmy first mazda car. I should say - bit disappointed. as I already had 2 major issues. Signing up for totalcare from mazda as I foresee lot of issues with this car in the future.

drb
    Thank you for the kind words. I only wish that there were no TSBs but no vehicle is perfect.
    I find it quite astounding that Mazda can't or won't provide customers with a permanent fix.
    One pst mentioned that "new parts" are warranted for a year, but interestingly, my dealership service department differed with that and said 30 days is the maximum. Could it be that various dealerships offer different warranties? Wouldn't make too much sense to me.
  • vicenacvicenac Posts: 229
    Hi all!
    I'm looking at buying Mazda5. I saw a consumer review on edmunds that slammed the vehicle for "wobbling" in the back at high speed on highway. The reviewer claimed the problem exists on Mazda3 and 6 but it is less apparent.
    The reviewer claimed to have tested 3 cars and drove a loaner for a week. Rear occupants experienced car sickness due to the wobbling.

Anyone experienced this?

I like this vehicle so much I'm willing to modify it, installing better shocks, stiffer sway bars and so on. I wonder if those will fix it.
  • YES! Mazda continues in '09 to have service bulletins for the same issues from '05-'08. Why? Because it is cheaper for them. Most people do not want to invest the time and energy into pursuing getting what they paid a premium price for in the first place because of the run around and half truths they are met with when they try to honestly resolve their car issues. Why did Mazda go from a 4 year/50K mile to a 3/36K bumper to bumper warranty? Was it because no one was using the 4th year and the other 14K miles for warranty issues? I dont' think so. Was it because they sacrificed quality manufacturing for short term gain? Maybe. Mazda used to have a great reputation for being the car manufacturer that offered affordable luxury extras as standard in quality cars that were a fun driving experience. I would like to see them rebuild that reputation with honor, integrity and high quality standards. Why do manufacturers and dealerships continue to operate from a "lack consciousness?"

The web of dealership/manufacturer excuses and put-offs, even with their most sincere tones are very frustrating to deal with over and over and over again. Not many people have the time available to continue to take their car to the dealership over and over again to hear these putt-offs, half-truths and best excuses. However, empower yourself. Post car issues on these forums, post them on the Mazda forums, contact the Attorney General's office and Better Business Bureau in your State and simply let them know of your frustrations - even if you don't have a long history of problems. Understand you will be met with form letter responses and directions to an even longer arbitration process but your letter will be on file and when enough letters are on file, people take notice. Visit the following sites:http://www.free-lemon-law-guide.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-act.php
    and http://www.lemonlaw.com. read all of the information all over the sites.

On the first site, read about the complaint process and learn why manufacturers and dealerships respond with, "we can't duplicate the noise or problem" or "we test drove your car and everything was fine" and many of the other lines we hear. Read about why you can go beyond manufacturer's that insist on arbitration and why it may be more profitable for you to do so - the second site, lemon law.com is offered by a group of lawyers in a small grouping of States and if they take on your case, you don't pay a dime. According to the first site, manufacturers are well aware of many recurrent problems from year to year and do nothing about it. In the long run, if someone chooses to obtain a lawyer and file a case, it is cheaper for them to settle the case before it goes to court. It is even cheaper for them to wait it out knowing that most people grow tired of 800# customer disservice help, being transferred from one service person to the next only to be lost in the miscommunication of the many "helpful" people and repeated visits to dealerships. They know that most people will not choose to find a lawyer and will usually give up and either keep their car and shoulder the burden of problems or sell their "lemon" and buy a new vehicle.

Is this not what put the auto industry in the precarious position it is now finding itself? People spoke loud and clear with the cars for clunkers - Oops!, I mean clunkers for cars program (mistake intended). Was the message not obvious from the public to the manufacturers? Sell cars at reasonable prices and the public will buy them. The next loud message needs to be about selling quality cars to begin with so that these frustrating, time consuming and expensive car problems can give way to higher quality maintenance. I know I would spend more money on preventive maintenance to keep my car running in tip top shape if I didn't have to be concerned with being nickled and dimed ($50's and $100's) by manufacturer defect problems that ultimately cost me in many ways.

Yes, please keep posting car issues. It is so helpful to many of us that use these forums to empower ourselves. I am finding issues with my '09 sport manual - car pulls to the right (even after many attempts by the dealership to correct), there are strange noises from the right front passenger's side engine area that have been diagnosed as: water from a/c condenser splashing on exhaust, condenser switch, condenser thermomister, water not draining properly from condenser. Nothing has been done to correct the problem as each time, with each new diagnosis I am told everything is normal and fine. I only hear the noise while the condenser is engaged and the car is moving (best heard between 15-40mph. The noise is not heard in idle. If it were a switch or thermomister, should it not happen all of the time while in idle or at high speeds? I also experienced a high vibration at highway speeds in my '09 sport manual. The left rear side and passenger's seat shook violently. Even though I was told it was "normal" vibration, the dealership did replace two tires. There still is an abnormal vibration at highway speeds although the vibration is less than before the tires were replaced. Even though the dealership insists everthing is within manufacturers specifications and everything is fine, no one will guarantee the alignment and vibration issues will not cause excessive and abnormal tire wear such as has been huge problems with the 2006 models that ended up in Canada and the UK.

After one alignment done by the dealership (to correct the pulling to the right problem), when I started my car, the car violently rocked side to side and I heard a high pitch whine like a weed whacker noise or a forced air noise. The side to side rocking was during ignition and the high pitched noise lasted for about a minute or two. The car did this two more times that same day (only drove it a total of about 20 miles that day). Dealership told me I must have tried to start the car while it was already running - 3 times?! :lemon:
    I had Ford Freestayle that the dealers turned into a lemon (I've got my money back).
    I know how that feels. It seems to me that less and less atention is given to the expertise of the service departments.
    I think there is a general feeling that cars need ess and less maintenance. A few scripts are good enough to guide anybody through fixing problems. Obviously wrong.
    In the last years I've visited 3 Ford and 3 Mazda dealerships and found the same lack of smart mechanics.
    I have a friend who had Toyota religion all his life. He is stunned to see the same going down hill with his new Sequoia.
    I intend to to buy a new 2010 MZ5 because it is simple enough for me to maintain and fix myself. I have a MZ CX-7 now (lease) that has 20k miles on it. I am disapointed to hear and feel all kinds of vibration and steering noises. ALL apeared after service visits. It's a shame!
  • I have been absent for several months due to serious illness of a family member. To my friends who shared info with me (Petesmazda5, Raceymom, Sofienyc, & Trishr1) I promised an update on success (or lack thereof) in getting my 2007 Mazda 5 repaired. So, pull up a chair, pop in a Joe Nichols CD ("My Old Friend The Blues"), speakers turned up, and read on...
    Inner tire treadwear: my problems started with this issue. At 5K miles, after the tires were rotated, I noticed inner tread wear on all 4 tires. After the rotation, could hear tire noise because they were cupped out. At 8K miles, one of the service writers finally responded to my insistence to get this checked. She made a call, at 11K , my Toyos tires were replaced with Kumhos' (warranty).
    Next, enter the crunch/pop noise in the front suspension. It was cold weather as some of you mentioned when it happened on your vehicles. After several "not duplicated this visit" comments, a Master Tech observed loose play in the tie rod ends. They replaced the rack unit and the strut bushings. Problem solved for now.
    Also experienced popping noise in the rear suspension. A beefed up Ford(?) part was ordered and installed with new bushings. On the way home, every little bump and dip in the road produced a loud clanging in the rear.Returned car to dealer (you'll love this) the tech had installed the parts incorrectly. Parts reinstalled, noise now gone.
    The tire wear issue is still evident. 2 more tires were put on (warranty), refused to put on 4, even though all were worn inner tread. By the way, between 8K and 11K, the car alignment was checked, slightly high on camber (positive). For whatever reason, the alignment was outsourced to an independent garage. I spoke with the tech who explained to me that the Mazda 3's , 5's & 6's had no camber adustment, and that they ran a positive camber that made them very responsive in steering, but produced INNER tread wear. He said that adjusting the toe-in could "tweak it" a little. (Just passing on what an independent said, I'm sure a Mazda tech will argue that one). So, at this point, how many of you have had your Mazda 5 issues satisfactorily resolved?

Maybe I will see some of you if there is another "Cash for Clunkers" promotion. Until then, report every issue-call your state attorney general's office if nothing is resolved, and please keep me posted.
    Thanks ...
    Letzallwin
  • My wife and I own a Mazda 5 that has been serviced several times for suspension issues. The dealership has tried to repair the problem, but it comes back every Winter and sometimes in the Summer. We've been so unhappy with the vehicle that we were trying to trade-in for an 09, but after reading entries here- I'm not so sure. We tried sending a letter to Mazda USA corporate offices, but got some young guy in Customer Service that took his orders from the regional technician. The guy even went so far as to say we either accept one of two solutions or Mazda would drop our review- which we took as a threat. So now we're sending a registered letter to his boss, the head of Customer Service & Quality Assurance (Mr. Yasuo Kunita). You can google for the corporate address. We like the vehicle, but I'll be damned if I'll accept that Mazda won't do anything to address the problem and fix it right (if they can). I'm doubtful that we'll ever buy another Mazda, but frankly, Toyota is having quality issues too (now that their number 1). Left to either buy a Ford Fusion or a Honda I guess. We've spoken to a lawyer friend, but he takes 33% of any settlement, which is only a little less than our present costs with our trade-in. Speaking of trade-in, I've never been given a lower trade-in value before. Mazda will only offer the least amount on the trade-in, even though the value of the vehicle has certainly been affected by this defect in design. Go figure!
    Hey I'm just curious. Is this problem the squealing people complain about?
    I saw that TSB with detailed instructions on how to fix it. I'm waiting to buy a new MZ5, so I thought I may have the same problem.
    If I will, I will probably not go to the dealer the second time, since they applied the Mazda fix and did not work. I would find an independent mechanic and fix it for good with 3rd party parts. I may end up having a better vehicle. Better shocks the least.
    Mazda fix may be good, but execution often lacks at these dealerships, especially for warranty repairs. They get paid no matter what.
    The rubber bushings can be adapted from another vehicle and thus you can experiment. I will assume the problem is with the lithium grease and the way it is applied and also if it is retained or pushed out over time. Some kind of wrapping may help (not pretty).
    And this is all speculation. I'm wondering if any of the mechanics identified what is actually making the noise. I suspect that they just apply the prescribed fix without diagnosing much.
    Sorry for your troubles.