Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Suspension

Comments

• jeff39jeff39 Posts: 10
    Our '06 had both ends replaced last winter and the crunch is back as loud and clear as ever! It seems impossible to me that such a widespread problem could be so confusing to the dealers... and so difficult to correct.
  • trishr1trishr1 Posts: 75
    Jeff39 - have you had any dealings with the APA in Ontario? I did have the opportunity to speak to the head fellow awhile ago and he had not heard of this problem with the Mazda5 - it wouldn't be broadcast by Mazda that's for sure. It would be very interesting to hear what the Automobile Protection Association had to say about this ongoing problem.
    It is truly a very strange situation to have some vehicles fixed without any recurrence of the crunch, and others to have the same problem come back time and again? What does Mazda Canada or Mazda USA which controls Mazda Canada have to say about this? I think they should be forced to extend all affected vehicles' warranties (in an expression of good faith to customers and an effort to maintain their credibility.
    I have a survey to complete and return to Mazda Canada after my last servicing - I am going to pose this to them I will not complete the survey online, I want a record of this communication.
  • jeff39jeff39 Posts: 10
    I've let ours slide for quite a while now... I guess after a bit you just learn to live with it. I haven't spoken to anyone but Windsor Mazda and the dealer just outside of Chatham, both in Southern Ontario.
    I'm going to get started again... we coughed up for an extended warranty (first time for everything). Thanks for your comments.
    Skiff01 - we may have someone here in the city who can fix our problem - stay tuned - he fixed the Mazda P3 bushing problem which has plagued that model since 2001 - 2002 onwards - most posts were on another Mazda Forum website. Since this site does not offer Private messaging, I will send you this fellow's website once I have confirmed he can fix ours as well.
  • I have posted my last fix below and suggest that you might want to look at your invoice/service report to see if any of the bushings match the 156D and 156C - feel free to post your fixes. Currently I am almost 60 days without a crunch (fingers, toes and anything else is crossed) ;)
    R0802BRX R&R Rear Stab links
    2 C243-28-156D Bush, Stabi
    XXB427R1 R&R Front Stabilizer Bushings
    2 CC29-34-156C Bush, Stabi
  • Vehicle is a 2007 Mazda 5. Location is in Sioux City, IA. Winters can be very cold. Suspension starts it's chattering when the temp falls below 25 degrees. Dealer replaced front rubber bushings on sway bar in March 2007. Noise was worse this winter. Dealer contacted factory engineers, again. Seems as though certain VIN series ALL have a concern, BUT unless you live in a cold climate and complain, you won't receive help. Dealer replace Lower Front Control arms, front sway bar bushings, and rear bushings (4 of them in the back). Colder than ---- out there today, and there is still LOTS of noise coming from the front. Next call will be to the factory,or the Iowa Lemon law may come into effect. I did sell cars for a few years, so don't let the dealership Bull you with stories. Do your research and then go after the dealership...
  • Would you mind sending the last eight of the VIN so that I can take the info to the local dealer? :(
  • riproyriproy Posts: 57
    This is a good idea. Can everybody experiencing suspension noise on their Mazda5 (06s, 07s, and even 08s) please list their VINs. We need to get an idea of how large this problem is. Mazda Canada has been very unhelpful to me (suggesting that we should expect noise from suspensions of new cars) whereas dealerships have been more helpful but in the end the fixes haven't worked. Individually we don't have much clout, but together maybe we can create some noise besides the stuff coming from our suspensions.
    I'll start:
    2006 Mazda5 GT
    VIN JM1CR293560126200
  • Grasma - can you post your replacement parts. What is important is the "letter" that comes after the bushing part number, such as XX-X125C or XX-X126D. The later the letter, the newer the replacement.
    It might help to explain why yours (and others) are still crunching and it might give you more assistance is getting the problem under control if they are using the earlier versions of the "defective" bushings.
  • trishr1(and all others) I live in southern Wisconsin and have owned my Mazda5 (2006) since 1/16/2006. I do not believe that there is a fix to the crunching, knocking, squeaking, and general suspension noises with these cars! I am speaking from experience. My car has been in to the dealer on six occasions for the mysterious noises since 3000 miles and they still don't have it right. They have lubed sway bars, replaced a rear damper and coil, changed bushings twice (156C), changed both lower control arms, and some other "hocus pocus" stuff. But the noise is STILL there. The last time in they found the stud that holds the the right damper had failed. The body shop had to burn it out and weld in a new stud, but "it's not a big deal" they say.

Mazda does not seem very responsive and anyone who tells you that its not a big deal is lying. Your control arms and bushings are an important part in keeping your tires properly on the road. If they are not functioning properly how could you be getting the right ride. If they are binding in the cold then they can't act like springs, which is what they are supposed to do. How can bolts fail after only 28k miles? I no longer let my children ride in this car since I do not feel it is safe. What will break next?

By the way I have also had the lurching problem between first and second gear. They did a recalibration of the powertrain control module, helped a little. I have also had an ABS sensor cord short out as well.

I am desperately trying to get out of this nightmare but am not getting anywhere fast. I hate to share this bad news but I feel that I should let others know that they may have to look for other issues on their cars for the sake of safety!
  • kivokivo Posts: 64
    I am interested in getting a 2008. Do you know if these noises have been fixed?
  • I am not sure about the 2008 models. You would think that after two model years and numerous complaints they would have straightened it out but who knows.

To anyone else who is interested the latest bulletin is TSB 02-005/07. The only problem is it did not work either. I took it in again after they did this TSB, for the seventh time and Mazda refused to do anything but put some silicone lubricant on the front stabilizer bushings. Even the service manager thought this was a "band-aid" fix. They also loosened and re-torqued both lower control arms. Why they did this for a problem that is supposedly "not a big deal" I don't know. Good luck all!
  • kivokivo Posts: 64
    The new Consumer Reports Auto Issue shows a bad mark for suspension in 2006, but for 2007 it improves to very good. Let's hope they're right.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    Sounds bad. Call Mazda USA and give them trouble. Get a Call Center supervisor to call you back and escalate the issue if not satisfied. I mention this because sometimes the dealer is not that sympathetic with your issues but others are. I changed dealers for my services and OK since (I actually bought my 08 from the 2nd dealer).

I own an 06 and an 08 (both Mazda5s) and no suspension trouble. I live in the northeast US. The only issue that I've heard is that the dashboard crunches a little on rough roads when extremely cold (10-30F), but that is pretty much it. Now, I also heard it on my past cars (as well as squeaky suspension on my old Honda Civic on cold weather) so possibly I'm used to it :(
  • I have escalated this issue to the point that I am going in for arbitration to get a new car or my money back. Mazda has been very unreceptive to my concerns and continue to blow off my safety concerns. I am very glad that you have not had any of these troubles. I guess I just got one built on a Friday afternoon. I have a 1999 Dodge conversion van and a 2006 Ford Freestyle, neither of which have any of these issues. I had a 1996 Lumina and drove it for over 100k miles without any suspension problems. I am really miffed by my bad luck.
    Its understandable. On a side note my 06 was one of the first ones to touch NA soil (it is almost an 05 IMO). It was built around April-May 05 and, yes, I've noted they improved things with the 08, but no critical issues, weird.

Well, what can I say, best of luck!
    Replying to: mazdatired (Feb 28, 2008 7:51 pm) "kivo"
    The new Consumer Reports Auto Issue shows a bad mark for suspension in 2006, but for 2007 it improves to very good. Let's hope they're right.

I have my doubts about that since there are still numerous reports of issues with this car regarding a variety of problems. Also noticed that Mazda stopped advertising this vehicle for several months in the newspapers. This could be because they were pushing their other models. Recently I saw a TV advertisement for the "newly" designed Mazda 5. Exactly what they changed I don't know.

As I told Mazda Canada several times, I like this vehicle because it offers things that other manufacturers don't, but I really never expected to encounter such disregard for consumer satifaction. The Protege also had exactly the same problem and Mazda let the consumers down on fixing that problem once the warranty expired.
    Coolmazda
    I am still (touch wood) crunch free and it is still pretty cold here since my last fix. in December. Can you tell us what your bushing parts numbers are (specifically the "letter" after the part number (eg. 156A, or 156 B or 156C). Thanks
    N00b question trishr1, how can I find the bushings part numbers? I own an 06 and an 08, I'll provide both (if I can find them first :confuse: :D)
    The parts should be listed on your service invoice when you had your vehicle in for the fix. A couple of my posts earlier I listed my bushing parts number so that you can see what they look like. The letters indicate the newest parts(C or D) versus the older parts (A or B). Hope you can find them.
    Oh, apologies if I my reply was not clear earlier, I don't have the crunch on my 06 and I have not applied the fix... My 2 cars bushings are the original (from the factory) ones. My bad :(