Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Suspension

Comments

• riproyriproy Posts: 57
    After hounding the two local dealers and Mazda Canada, MC called last week to say that they have ordered new bushings for the stabilizer bars to address this problem. They have yet to arrive and of course winter is over now, so when these parts are replaced, i will anxiously be awaiting what happens in November. If there is no relief, then we will be trading it off the following spring as i can't live with the noise all winter every winter which for us is almost half the year.
    I am hopeful but realistic after being let down so many times before. And it looks like MAZDATIRED may have had this done already with no success.
  • trishr1trishr1 Posts: 75
    It sure took them a long time to offer you any assistance.
    So far I have been crunch-free since December 17th 2007.
    Another owner is also crunch-free so far.
    The parts numbers should be (CC29-34-156C (front) and C243-28-156D (rear).
    Best of luck, let us know how it works out in the fall.
  • Back in Jan 08 I took my car to the dealer and finally convince them to perform the TSB released/revised 12/07 in regard to my numerous complaints about the crunching suspension issues many here have complained about.

Now the TSB does not specifically mention alignment of rear but does about the front end. There are bushings on the rear that were replaced as result of this TSB as well. Is an alignment a MUST when replacing rear bushings?

On the invoice there is no mention of front or rear end alignment, only parts replaced. The reason I mention all of this is because this is my 2nd set of tires and the rears both times had inside tire wear. When I brought the car to the dealer 1/08 they made no mention of wear upon their 'full circle inspection'. I brought to them again 2/08 and they said I have uneven inside tire wear on the rears and need an alignment which would be out of pocket expense.

Through course of time while vehicle was under warranty I complained about unusual loud rear end noise when driving and bumps. My assessment is they did not perform alignment and are negligent from their work performed as a result of incorrect assessment on 1/08. My 5 has since gone off warranty.

Please add you comments as I am gathering as much input as possible before sending CRRR letter to Mazda NA.
    I had to copy your email as I was astounded by what you wrote. I am no expert but I will comment under your email message in bold.

Back in Jan 08 I took my car to the dealer and finally convince them to perform the TSB released/revised 12/07 in regard to my numerous complaints about the crunching suspension issues many here have complained about.

Did the cruching start recently and therefore they elected to apply the TSB that was issued for the front end? and not apply the previously issued TSB which covered both front and rear? Was your VIN not within range for the first TSB?

Now the TSB does not specifically mention alignment of rear but does about the front end. There are bushings on the rear that were replaced as result of this TSB as well. Is an alignment a MUST when replacing rear bushings?

The second TSB was a fix for the front end because the previous correction for the front did not work; therefore they reworked the bushings for the front. For my own car after the first TSB fix, the rear end was what went first. After calling the dealership, they told me they could fix the front (which wasn't a problem - YET), so I called Mazda Canada. When I took it in, they fixed both front and rear. The front started shortly after I had called.

On the invoice there is no mention of front or rear end alignment, only parts replaced.
    After speaking to independent mechanics (two of them), they both indicated that it would be normal procedure to do an alignment. There was no alignment done on the first fix, but soon after that fix my car started pulling to the left. Alignment was done under warranty even though the dealership said it wasn't needed. I did obtain a before and after print out which shows it was changed (remember they said it didn't need it so why change it).

The reason I mention all of this is because this is my 2nd set of tires and the rears both times had inside tire wear. When I brought the car to the dealer 1/08 they made no mention of wear upon their 'full circle inspection'. I brought to them again 2/08 and they said I have uneven inside tire wear on the rears and need an alignment which would be out of pocket expense.

Unbelievable. There is lots of discussion on excessive tire wear on the original tires (as well as poor traction in wet road conditions). Most people just dump the tires after the first year. This ends up being an out of pocket expense but it could be a safety issue. There are a few more Mazda forums so if you can't find the discussion on this one through a search, try the others. Some even post the TSBs.

Through course of time while vehicle was under warranty I complained about unusual loud rear end noise when driving and bumps. My assessment is they did not perform alignment and are negligent from their work performed as a result of incorrect assessment on 1/08. My 5 has since gone off warranty.

I would print off some of the comments from other forums and take those to them. I should share with you that I was advised by the salesperson to dump the tires after the first year. You might check MyCarStats as well, you can sign up can get notices automatically sent to you.
  • Thanks for your reply.

"Did the cruching start recently and therefore they elected to apply the TSB that was issued for the front end? and not apply the previously issued TSB which covered both front and rear? Was your VIN not within range for the first TSB?"

The crunching started the first year of purchase, (4/2006). They refused to address the TSB in winter 06 when I noticed the crunch sounds. Basically they could not replicate the sound so it was dismissed. The VIN was not in range, barely, but this was not an issue with repair.

One thing I did notice about the TSB repair they performed is the workable hours exceed the time range on the document. They did not present me with before and after alignment specs, so I assume it was not done. Since they submit the work invoice to NA, this may constitute fraud?

Well, I am so fed up with the dealers in this area I basically refuse to bring the car to them unless NA enforces directives to them at their cost. I will prepare letters to NA at this point. After the TSB repair the idiot at the desk 'assumed' I was going to perform their 50k service plus flush the brake fluid system, power steering resevoir and cooling system as well as change the air filter, all at a cost of over $900! I said to him I do not need those things and can do some of that work myself if necessary, and mentioned the costs were prohibitive especially at the $95/hr labor rate. When he broke down the charges, $50 for the air filter boiled me (I bought it from Mazda @ 12 bucks and took me 5 min). Once I refused he said I was 'insulting' them because I entrust my car for warranty work and not regular maintenance! Incredible! This is only one of many issues....

I have a 1994 626 and never had as many issues as I have with the 5. This will be the last Mazda I ever buy.

Tks
    Just for the record, I asked for the before and after wheel alignment print outs. The service manager was happy to give them to me once he clarified that I wanted a copy not the originals,which they use for billing.
    Once I am presented with the service report for review (and before they separate the copies) I freely make comments on the service record. I don't think they appreciate it but it doesn't matter to me.
    Since the last service visit, I won't sign anything until I check out the vehicle to ensure that they did what they are billing for, and I get what I want.
    Mmmm, sounds like some service centres have been trained by someone to get the response that you did.
    Perhaps you should escalate things - go to the Service Manager, then General Manager, then the area representative. It is an an eye-opener what you have been through and I would be ticked. I've heard of dissatisifed customers parking their vehicle near the dealership and put signs on it to warn other potential customers. I know one person who crafted a lemon and bolted that to his car with signs. It got their attention.
  • mnorahsmnorahs Posts: 1
    I too have had suspension problems with my 2006 Mazda5 Touring model. I purchased the vehicle in August 2006 and it has been at the dealer for service at least 7 times for the same problem. I live in Georgia in the United States and would hardly call this area of the south cold. I recently sent Mazda North American consumer relations located in Irvine, California a final repair attempt request as recommended in the Georgia Lemon Law. They called me back within 7 days and are flying out a Mazda technician/engineer all the way from California to Georgia to supposedly fix the problem (again). They have already replaced bushings, sway bars, struts, etc., not sure what this guy hopes to do that they have not already done. The dealership has been great and I really believe that they have done everything that they know how to do; but I am just tired of dealing with this problem - it is for all extensive purposes still what I consider a "new"car! These problems started within 3000 miles! My service appointment with the engineer is this coming Wednesday and we will see what happens. The rep that contacted me from Mazda assures me that they will do everything possible to fix the problem, including possible repurchase or replacement. I notice that alot of posters are from Canada - does Canada have Lemon Laws there? If you are not sure, I would recommend finding out and seeing what your options under any laws are. I found my initial information on line, but also found it in my owner's manual. I am happy with the quick response of Mazda so far, but it won't do much good if they can't fix the problem. At this point, I am just ready to be rid of the vehicle - I want them to just buy the thing back so I can go by a Honda - never should have strayed from Honda in the first place. I will NEVER buy another Mazda again, even if they make good on repurchasing or replacing the vehicle. :mad:
    I wish all dealerships/service centers were as attentive to concerns of consumers as the one you are dealing with has been.
    I also enjoy my vehicle and after many months of searching and comparing, I decided to purchase this one. Since Mazda had a fairly good rating and made decent vehicles it seemed like a good option.
    I can deal with problems arising, what I can't deal with is arrogant service desk people and service managers who tend to "blame the customer" for issues with the cars; or use the standard phrase "couldn't duplicate the problem" which seems to be similar to their first reaction to place the fault on the owner. This is particularly difficult to take when I have the TSB in my hand that says this is a known problem. Apparently it is only known to those owners who have to do their own searching to solve a problem, not to those who should know about them - that's why the car manufacturers post them. ;)
    Anyways, no Canada does not have Lemon Laws - it has been proposed in the past but it was struck down by one of our larger provinces - perhaps on that had a large number of car dealerships/manufacturers, or there was too much lobbying from them against it? The proposal was recently raised again this time because of faulty or damaged vehicles that were being imported into Canada, and unscrupulous dealers who were not informing unsuspecting car buyers that the cars were damaged or covering up the fact that they were defective. So it may become a law but probably not in my lifetime.
    I too had a recurring problem (due to an installation of a Mazda item by the service centre) and had reported it 4 times. On my fifth time I called Mazda and gave them an ultimatum - fix it or remove it and refund my money. Their response was we would fix it if the service centre told us what was wrong - take it in again. Good grief why am I doing all the leg work and inconveniencing myself. Why can't they find the problem, report it to Mazda if they authorization, and just fix it.
    It gets to be all too much.
  • athenasiusathenasius Posts: 118
    I am a bit confused regarding your warranty. I have one of the first ones made and yes I know the crunch sound well. In Canada the warranty was reset after the whole fire thing to December for everyone in Canada plus the money they gave us as a good will gesture. so my warranty does not run out until dec of this year even though I bought it in may-jun 05. Maybe it is different in the States.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    Warranty for US 2006 models got reset to December 2005 as well. 2006 models get 4 years warranty. 2007 and beyond get 3 years.
  • sofienycsofienyc Posts: 8
    I just got my 5 back from the shop...and the result in the quest of quieting the rear suspension was a fruitful one...finally someone got it right. The problem was bad read bushing on the stabilzer bar and a bad left rear shock. Now I have to wait for the cold weather to test it...but I think that it does feel better now and at least it does not sound like a squeeky old mattress.
  • kukareka1kukareka1 Posts: 4
    I agree with you regarding Honda cars. I've had 3 Hondas (brand new) before buying 2007 Mazda5 Touring. None of my Hondas ever ever had any problems (I stil own one with 80K). If Honda would have any similar car to Mazda5 (I know they do have them in Japan, [non-permissible content removed] are just too conservative with American market), I'd readily pay a couple grands more for Honda instead.
    Anyway, back to Mazda5,at 2.5K there was engine light on, so I had to waste my time to take it for check-up. Some sensor went bad, they replaced it. Then winter came and at freezing temps all these cracking noises came from rear suspension. After a few miles these noises would go away, but problem remained for all these cold days. Now, at 9.5K, I noticed really bad noise at the rear left. Went back to dealership, technician told me that it was very common problem. The rear left shock was replaced. This shock has oil, so I think it freezes during cold temps, and that's where the noise is coming from. I'll see what will happend next winter. I bet cracking noise will be there!! Do you want a bet?? This must be a bad design issue. So it doesn' t matter how many times this part will be replaced, the problem will remain!
    I'm just as frustrated and disappointed as any of you experiencing all these problems! How a brand new car can have so many issues in the first place, especially after a few years of production!
    I think the best way to have Mazda to issue a recall for all Mazda5 to replace faulty shocks is for each one of us placing these comments here on Edmunds, is to file a complaint at NHTSA website (it will take a few minutes to file, it is very simple). According to this organization, they don't wait for a number of complaints to pile up, they look into the problem right away, and if there is safety related issue (and it actually is!!!!) they will force car manufacturer to issue a recall and to replace the faulty part!
    Lastly, I'll wait another year, and if there will be one more problem with this Mazda5, I'll get rid of it and will never buy any other Mazda again!!! Stick with Honda!!!
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    Don't blame you, yet my last car was a Honda, which I traded in for a 2nd Mazda5. Honda is OK but I've been happier with the Mazdas so far (not that they are perfect, but my Honda experience was not very positive)...
  • drb05drb05 Posts: 24
    I bought my car 2 months ago. Because of moving didn't notice the rear suspension noise that came with driving over speed bumps etc. Now I very clearly notice that.

TOok it to the dealer 2 days ago - he said the problem was rear stablizer bushing was dry and they replaced it. how could a brand new car go bad so quickly.

I just drove today (car belongs to my wife), and see that the noise is still there. Nothing was rectified.

Now after checking the forum, i see it is a big issue with mazda. I live in canada.

Can somebody post any solutions or how to take this up?

drb
    Can you tell us what year this vehicle is - 2007 or 2008?
    The problem has been present for sometime now (years) and Mazda has (hopefully) worked out the kinks, and crunches, and the following Technical Service Bulletin (which is available to most all service centers including independent ones:
    TSB 02-005/07
    One can only assume that your dealer's service center greased the bushings. If you take a look at the service record, it should tell you what was done. Most people who had this servicing applied to their vehicle only had the problem solved for a day or two.
    I would suggest speaking to the service manager about the problem. If you can't get a satisfactory resolve then perhaps going to another dealership service center will help. Otherwise, contact Mazda Canada - I prefer the email route as it seems to generate a fairly reliable turnaround and call back (plus it is documented).
    For most people, the full servicing as described in the TSB using the most current replacement bushings has resolved the problem. I am 6 months into a crunch-free period and judging by the quietness of the forum, others are doing okay as well.
    As my independent service centre technician said to me after months of trying to get the dealer to fix the problem "why are you doing all the work to find out what the problem is?" This is a known problem with a solution.
    Let us know how you make out. It is odd that your vehicle is making noise in above -10 degree weather, but others have had a similar problem.
  • drb05drb05 Posts: 24
    Year is 2008. Current temperature is 11C.

Noise is quite evident. It is like some sort of rod going through a hollow cylinder without any lubricant.

After reading this forum's postings yesterday I contacted the service manager - he said he will replace the shocks in the rear. Will that fix the problem?

I could not find the suspension issue's TSB http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/tsbsearch.cfm Could you please help?

I can ask service manager to see that TSB.

Note: this is my first Mazda and don't want to get disappointed. :-(

drb
  • dfz1dfz1 Posts: 6
    This is the worst car I have purchased in modern times. The rear end noise has been a constant annoyance. Yes bushings replaced etc etc etc. That is after they had it for a month to fix a water leak the month I took delivery. I have eight more months to go and will walk away from Mazda and Ford.

When the road is wet their is virtually no traction in the front end. My family does not feel safe in it. My wife hates the car and my kids hate the car. Yes I have changed the tires but once is enough. I have 24,000 miles on this car and have never looked forward to getting rid of a car more than this one.

The dealer is Scott Mazda Volvo in Allentown, PA. Scam artists extraordinaire. They tried to screw me on the deal and I had to go sit out in front of the owners office to get satisfaction. The service department staff is always changing and nothing ever gets fixed. I despise Mazda and Scott.
  • Most of you that posted about the crunching noises (front, mainly rear) don't mention tire wear. My problems started with inner tread wear, even though the alignment said that everything was "in spec". Do some people just not notice it, or some of you didn't experience it? My tires had just been rotated & balanced, the "full circle check" had no mention of uneven tread wear, but when I got home after that visit the front tires, which had been moved from the rear had easily recognizable inside tread wear. The rear lower control arms have been replaced-now I have the "crunching" noise that many on this post describe. Does that mean that they were replaced with a pre-2007 set with bad bushings?
    This is my first posting-could some of you "old-timers" direct me to the right path to get these issues repaired before my warranty on the 2007 goes out? I'm on my second set of tires at 25 K miles, the 1st were replaced at 11 K due to inner tread wear and cupping out. In turn I will share with you my success (or lack thereof) in getting the problems corrected. Thanks-Letz_all_win !
  • I have a 2006 Mazda 5 and had to have the tires replaced at 17K - it was covered under the warranty though and they put good tires on not those terrible Toyos.
  • I'm curious - what is wrong with the Toyos?