Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• I am also having this same problem. Did you ever figure it out?
  • debdyatdebdyat Posts: 1
    I have a question for anyone who has a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis LS... does that year have automatic headlights? Any help anyone can give me would be most appreciated. Thanks.
  • ab5znab5zn Posts: 3
    If by automatic headlights, you mean headlights that automatically turn on when it gets dark, the answer is yes.
  • bar8bar8 Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Grand Marquis, When I start the car in Park, I can not move the shift lever in to drive. I found that if I turn the ignition switch to just before the accessories come on, I can move the lever in to Neutral, Then start the car and shift in to Drive.
    I took apart the column area and can not see any thing binding. A few months ago, the same thing happened for about an hour and then went away.
    Any Ideas what is wrong or what controls the release of the shift lever?
    Thanks in advance
  • bigguy313bigguy313 Posts: 1
    This happened on my 1993. It required a switch to be replaced on the brake system that unlocks the gear shift. It was done at my local Shell Station so it not any big thing.
  • gobiggobig Posts: 6
    I think Grand Marquis have something called Brake-shift interlock. This prevents the gearshift from being moved from Park unless the brake pedal is depressed. If you can't move it out of Park with the brake pedal depressed try the following.

1. Apply the parking brake, turn ignition key to LOCK, then remove the key.
    2. Insert the key and turn it to OFF. Apply the brake pedal and shift to Neutral.
    3. Start the vehicle.

LOCK is the one position toward you from the OFF position. If this doesn't work it is possible that a fuse has blown and the car's brakelamps may not be operating properly.

I hope that helps.
  • jrogjrog Posts: 1
    the check engine light of my 1993 GM won't go out and stays on when im driving. How do i solve this problem?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    Check the engine. You may be low on coolant, or some other fluid of a container under the hood in the engine bay. So, check the engine. :confuse:
  • esfoadesfoad Posts: 210
    A check engine light usually indicates a problem other than normal maintenance items.
    If the light is flashing, you should immediately shut off the engine and have the car checked by a qualified service technician.
    If the light is glowing solid, this usually indicates a failed sensor or something that is not dangerous to operate the vehicle. Autozone offers a service to read your computer codes for free. This should tell you what's wrong. Good Luck.
  • :sick: My 01 GM has the engine light on also. It's time to take her in to the shop to get a read out. She has been stalling like she's not getting enough gas. This happens every now and then and usually fixes itself but it's not this time.
    However, something else is happening that is new. The inside dome lights are turning on when the car is running and when I park it I have to re-shut the back door for the light to start to fade to turn off. The car has been parked for two days and this afternoon the dome lights turned on by themselves and went off by opening and shutting the door again.
    Please help! Any guesses would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • jfayjfay Posts: 1
    Went to work and the car was fine, went to get in it to come home only to find out I had no dash lights or tail lights. What could be the reason for this and where can I find the fuse to check and make sure that is the problem. I have a 1994 Crown Vic
  • The exact thing happened to me, I own a 1994 Grand Marquis Merucury. I had it checked out at Pep Boys, they didn't find anything. I went to a Ford Dealership and they said it was the light switch, it has to be replaced. They wanted $400 to do it. I will have my son change it out for me. I understand the part isn't too expensive. My other lights work fine.
  • 94 Grand Marquis headlights go off for a few seconds and then come back on. I hear a click in the dash area when this is occurring. Need to fix this problem fast - People keep flashing their headlights at me thinking I forgot to turn them on. Any help will be appreciated
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    There may be a circuit breaker in the switch requiring you to R&R the switch.
  • I discovered that electric door lock trunk release and auto window down stopped working .I replaced the 15 amp circuit breaker fuse and still no louck any Ideas thanks
  • i have a 1998 grand marquis about 3 weeks ago the oil light came on so i changed the oil and it was still on. then a couple of days later i was driving at night and all of a sudden the car just went dead it stoped running and every thing but only for a couple of seconds. so i was told the altanator was bad so i changed it it still happens every time i use more power the oil light gets brighter. i also put a new battery in if some one could help me find out what the problome might be i would appreciate it.
  • cardodcardod Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis and the headlight switch and plug melted around the part that controls the parking and dashlight. It happened once before and I replaced both parts. It happened again just recently but I can't seem to find a short or damaged wire anywhere. If anyone has any idea why this is happening I would appreciated the help.
  • ogdad223ogdad223 Posts: 1
    try checking for a bad ground on the dash itself sounds as though youve lost it there also check fuses and panel for blown then find short check batt post for good conection
  • texasgal1texasgal1 Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Grand Marquis. Recently had the transmission speed sensor replaced. Now headlamps and interior lights are going on and of by themselves. This goes on all night long. Had to turn the head lamps from auto to off to stop headlights from coming on. Could this be connected to the replacement of the tranny sensor?