Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• njadamsnjadams Posts: 3
    That is what my problem was and I was quoted about the same prices. I searched the web and so did a friend of mine and we came up with a website that will send you a repaired one when you send them yours and it only costs about $99.00. We did this and everything is working fine now. http://www.autoecu.com/
  • davelaterdavelater Posts: 2
    Dealer reports I need new lighting control module YW7Z13C788CA to remedy turn signal problem. Lights work fine. Both turn signals work fine when engaged, but the "clicker" sound occurs randomly when the turn signal lever is in the neutral position, sometimes fast sometimes slow. No bulbs are missing, all work. Any advice to find a remedy? Replacement costs is $850 with labor. Is there a secondary market for working used modules? I want to keep the car because miles are low and it's in good shape, but ouch the cost of this one is high.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    Consider an independent auto electrical repair shop with either remanufactured or donor parts from a wrecking yard. Of course, bench test the replacement part 1st.
  • dudatdudat Posts: 3
    My headlights and cornering lights will not come on when the headlight switch is on. The "Flash to Pass" works to bring on the high beams. Then after an undetermined time I hear a relay click in the Lighting Control Module and the headlights and cornering lights start working. I have noticed that the headlight switch has been warm to the touch. All other lighting functions work normally. Any ideas as to whether it is the Lighting Control Module, the Multifunction Switch or the Headlight Switch?
  • dudatdudat Posts: 3
    I believe the Lighting Control Module is programmable so be sure that any used one is from the same model with the same lighting functions.
  • ant97cvant97cv Posts: 1
    I've had that with my 97 crown vic for the last year, and yeah it's getting worse. Now, if I turn off the AC, the digital display for the ac will flick light up the entire lcd and click repeatedly if i'm over 40mph. turning the ac on low keeps the voltage spike down some. The problem got a lot worse after I had a auto start installed by a non-dealer. had to ahve that taken out in the end. I've tried replacing the alternator, belts, spark plugs, and battery. None of that helps. It sounds like the problem may be wiring hooked into the light control module under the dash by the break pedal as described here http://p71interceptor.com/lcm/. haven't checked those wires yet, reallt not looking forward to replacing the lcm they run anywhere from 90 - 300$. Recently fried the turn signal module and electronic trunk release module.
  • hdave7hdave7 Posts: 9
    I have the same problem with headlights. Paid the Ford dealer $100 to diagnose and give me an $700 estimate to fix. Can you or anyone point me to information on locating and removing the lighting control module? I also need to replace some instrument dash lights, replace the drivers door power window switch and the hvac air mix/blower door actuator. Dealer wants $1,600 that I don't have to fix all these. Oh, and the cd player stopped working too.
  • davelaterdavelater Posts: 2
    The latest on my issue is that I paid the dealer a nominal fee to remove the LCM. I found http://www.autoecu.com through a Google search, contacted them, and was told that they could rebuild/repair it for $125. I am waiting now for its return. When it's back in the car, I will post an update. Good luck with your solution to what sounds like a similar problem
  • hdave7hdave7 Posts: 9
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the response. I hope to be able to remove the LCM myself if possible. Can the car still be driven, ie do the turn signals still function and most importantly do the brake lights work without the LCM installed?
  • njadamsnjadams Posts: 3
    My brake lights and back-up lights still worked but not the turn signals.
  • i'm looking for a junction in the wiring harness because i can't reach the individual door button switches in the door frames? only cause for all of the interior lites to remain on would be if the headlight switch is turned to the right. any other suggestions?
  • My mercury just started developing electrical problems today. I first noticed that the clock went out as well as the cig lighter and power point. I went out tonight after dark and realized too I have no dome light, head lights or parking lights. the turn signals and radio and everything else works ok. The only thing I have not checked yet is the wipers. I checked all the fuses in the cabin and they all check out ok. Any suggestions? I don't have much money but if someone can offer advice on where to look for the prob i will try to dig into it myself and see if i can fix it relatively cheap rather then pay a Ford dealer. Please help. I need my car to get to work and its is dark when i get off work, so i need working headlights
    On the driver's side of the engine bay there is a Black box containing a set of circuit breakers. Check it out according to your Owners Manual.

Try to reset the on board computer by disconnecting the Negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnecting it.

If you're good at removing the cable, remove both cablrs and clean the terminals with a post cleaner & use the wire brush end to clean out the center of the cables.

Corrosian diminishes energy to the accessories.
  • My auto headlights on my 2003 Merc Grand Marquis do not work consistently. They turn on intermittently and rarely when I need them at night. If I run the emergency flashers while driving at least 2 minutes they sometimes come on. Also, if I use the security keypad on my door to unlock the car they sometimes come on. I have been driving while holding the "flash to pass" control and will get a high beam that works for now. If I push the high beam control forward toward hood nothing happens. I'm out of work and am looking for some "do it yourself" suggestions. I'm not afraid to do the work but do not know my way around this car.
    Thanks
  • Thanks njadams. I will give them a try and post back when I run through the process.
  • jim416jim416 Posts: 1
    I have a 98 crown vic that the headlights quit working. the flash to pass will turn on the headlights when held but not the switch. I have tried a different lcm from two different lcms from unwrecked cars from junk yard. still no luck. when i turn the light switch to parking lights I hear the relay click and the parking lights come on. when i turn the switch to lights I hear the relay click but no headlights. since the car was new i have run it with the photo sensor covered with electrical tape to make it think it was dark so the lights would be on all of the time. i don,t know if there is another relay that may be having a problem. any ideas ?
  • My 2003 Grand Marq. mercury has been diagnoised as having a malfunctioning "lighting control module". I paid a mercury dealer $91.50 for this info. The same dealer wants $608.50 more to repair the problem. I need to know if this total of $700.00 is a reasonable price for this and,if not, what would be a reasonable charge. My lights turn off unexpectedly but shortly come back on. I am an older guy (WW II veteran) and on a limited income. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.
    Until the two fuse locations are checked out by an independent auto electrical tech I would hesitate on buying a new module. I believe there is a Black circuit breaker box under the hood. Hopefully, that is your source of the lights going out as that breaker opens and closes from time to time. The other fuse location, under the dash, contains fuses of different colors and when when of them blows - that's it until it is replaced. Since your lights come on later, I would inspect the breakers in the Black box under the hood.
  • My mercury grand marquis wipers do not work. I replaced the wiper switch because a mechanic told me they go bad a lot and they still do not work. Does anyone have a idea of what it could be?