Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Climate Control

Comments

• bigmercbigmerc Posts: 3
    Twocassels, Is it Hot!
    Not in my Merc, I made it a 'manual' automatic climate control.
    Since you have the same problem as I have I thought to fill you in on my fix.
    I use the vacuum supply line to directly connect to the actuators of the doors. Since it is about 95 degrees I choose to have it all come out of the vents as the car would normally do. Initially not as good as 'factory' until I added vacuum to the Air inlet door as well. This gives you the well known blast of cold air from the vents.
    The fix: Hope yours is like mine: Underneath the dash in the foot well there is a vacuum connector plug with multiple vacuum lines that goes to the Climate control unit. Disconnect this and use the male end to make the connections.
    Here is what is what on my 03:
    Black: Supply
    Blue: Panel door
    White: Air inlet door
    Yellow: Floor/defrost door
    Red: Floor door
    As I said, I used a vacuum hose directly from Black to Blue and White, needed for this is a short piece of vacuum hose with one T connection since you will use three connections.
    It works like a dream and the temperature control still works as before including fan speed control.
    Enjoy.
    Till I find a fix or a reasonable priced replacement unit I will live with this fix.
    For winter driving you probably will have to connect black to yellow directly.
    Happy cruising and playing with this manual fix. :shades:
  • jspikesjspikes Posts: 1
    I've got a '98 GM LS and the a/c only blows hot. I've checked around, and found out that the possible culprit is the blend door actuator. I don't think that the electronic climate control is the problem, but if you have any other ideas, please let me know. My question is this; Do you really have to pull out the dashboard to replace the actuator? Is it possible to go in through the glovebox opening?
  • I have the same freakin problem on my new ride 96 grand marquis Ls.
    I thought it was low on coolat which it was, it took like a gallon of coolant ... each time I fill it it goes down to nothing as i drive for a day until I finished a gallon and now It's stable (Level) but that noise is bothering me, you can hear the flow of the coolant with turbulence in it close to the firewall in the interior side of it.

Thanks
    sam,
  • While visiting my mother yesterday, I was driving her car and I tried to defog a slightly fogged windshield. Much to my surprise, the defroster started spewing its own fog onto the windshield to the point that I couldn't see out. The fog was so intense that the fog permeated the interior. Any ideas?
  • leaking heater core.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    I agree. New heater core. Requires removing the front seat, dash, console if any and at least eight hours of labor just to replace a $99 part.
  • I had great AC in the summer nice and cool. In the winter I still only get cold air!! and the AC compressor kicks in with the switch to full heat. The vacum system seems to work switching between defrost, vent etc. The temp contol in the dash has circuit board type sliding switch. Anybody have any experience with this problem. It was 10 degrees up North. I need heat! any ideas. Thanks.
  • If I am not mistaken on my 85 there was a valve (solenoid?) in the hose to the heater core. Again, this is from memory a long time ago, but I think this went belly up and all there is to do then is to replace it and you will be nice and toasty again.
    Your airconditioning should not be comming on when it gets close to freezing though! Hope it is of any help, nothing lost if not right?
    Good luck.
  • fred90fred90 Posts: 1
    Can any one tell me or post a picture of where the module is. My blower or fan motor checks out ok but my fan control only had high speed and now it does not work at all.
    I have also does the easy part - check all the fuses and relays but to no avail.

Help it get hot here in Houston
  • joevetojoeveto Posts: 2
    My Grand Marquis with the EATC had been blowing through the defroster mostly, and occasionally the floor. With 90 plus degree days, this wasn't going to cut it. So I took it into the dealer...

The problem was the EATC head unit. Apparently, as noted elsewhere here, the solenoids can go bad. The total cost was over $900 to fix. Roughly $650 of that was for the part, a little over $200 for labor. Then tax.

Not fun.

So be warned. It's a great car. I truly love it. But this hurt. The first unit lasted 87000 miles. I'm hoping this one lasts longer!!
  • Many thanks to BIGMERC!!! I had this same problem with my 2006 Grand Merc, I took it to my local mechanic and he was going to charge me around $300 to replace my air door actuator. I followed directions from BIGMERC and his suggestion fixed my problem. Great Job! I had a T in the shop so it costs me nothing! I'm cool and BIGMERC is SUPER COOL. Thanks.
  • hag100hag100 Posts: 1
    Brian,

Hate to sound stupid here, but when you say climate controller, are you talking about the in dash unit with the push-buttons on it?

Do you remember where on EBAY you find the unit?
  • This is about a 1998 Merc. Marquis. Air blows hot during vent and ac. Just like the problem jspikes wrote about on 7-2-08. Was there an answer to that problem? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Charlie
  • When I turn on heat my AC comes on.Samething.when I move the control to vent.When it moved to floor I get nothing.Always cool air.Can any one tell me something.
  • Have you checked the Vent Control unit in the dash . This is what changes the duct system from hot to cold . If its stuck to A/C side , then all you will get is cold air .
  • My '99 LS always blows hot air regardless of the temp setting I select or if I put on manual A/C or Max A/C mode. I checked the refrigerant and it seems fine. The lines coming out of the A/C unit are cold to the touch. Do these cars have a problem with the heater getting stuck in the "on" position? It seems to me that the heat would overwhelm whatever the A/C is putting out. Could this be a solenoid stuck directing the coolant always to the heater core? Or maybe a duct problem? --There does seem to be something stuck near the fan that makes a fluttering sound when the fan is turned to high. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks from Rhode Island home of the . . .well uh, me.
  • I have a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis. It has automatic climate control. The air conditioning compressor broke, I had it replaced and now the climate control system (the head unit) and the blower is acting goofy. The display lights flicker and the fan blows slow and fast, all at random. It used to work perfectly, smooth and precise. Now, it's just all over the place. This happens whether you run it in automatic or manually. When you run it in manual, the fan speed doesn't have a middle. It either runs full out or slow. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I don't even know where to start.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    Return the car to whomever worked on the A/C last. Give them a chance to correct their errors.
  • My 1997 Crown Vic LX automatic climate control started acting up about a year ago. When I started the engine a repetitive "thunking" would start and get faster and louder when I turned on the AC. Eventually the thunking stopped but now I have no hot/cool air control. But get this! When I make a sharp right turn I get hot air but if I make a sharp left turn i get cold air. Over a 6 month period its very consistent. Also there is no longer any temp control-its either cold air all the time or hot air all the time. Any ideas. I've been leery about pulling the dash because i would have to disable the airbags.
  • Thank you for your response. I did speak with the mechani8c who fixed it. It's a one-man operation that does great work for cheap, but he said that it has nothing to do with what he did. All he did was evacuate the AC system, change the compressor and and then refill the system. I halfway believe him and would very much like to have him help me fix it, but he may be right. He's not the best at troubleshooting specific make/model complicated issues. Sometimes, you just have to go to the dealer to get an expert and pay the price. I was hoping to avoid that.