Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Climate Control

Comments

• Many thanks to BIGMERC!!! I had this same problem with my 2006 Grand Merc, I took it to my local mechanic and he was going to charge me around $300 to replace my air door actuator. I followed directions from BIGMERC and his suggestion fixed my problem. Great Job! I had a T in the shop so it costs me nothing! I'm cool and BIGMERC is SUPER COOL. Thanks.
  • hag100hag100 Posts: 1
    Brian,

Hate to sound stupid here, but when you say climate controller, are you talking about the in dash unit with the push-buttons on it?

Do you remember where on EBAY you find the unit?
  • This is about a 1998 Merc. Marquis. Air blows hot during vent and ac. Just like the problem jspikes wrote about on 7-2-08. Was there an answer to that problem? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Charlie
  • When I turn on heat my AC comes on.Samething.when I move the control to vent.When it moved to floor I get nothing.Always cool air.Can any one tell me something.
  • Have you checked the Vent Control unit in the dash . This is what changes the duct system from hot to cold . If its stuck to A/C side , then all you will get is cold air .
  • My '99 LS always blows hot air regardless of the temp setting I select or if I put on manual A/C or Max A/C mode. I checked the refrigerant and it seems fine. The lines coming out of the A/C unit are cold to the touch. Do these cars have a problem with the heater getting stuck in the "on" position? It seems to me that the heat would overwhelm whatever the A/C is putting out. Could this be a solenoid stuck directing the coolant always to the heater core? Or maybe a duct problem? --There does seem to be something stuck near the fan that makes a fluttering sound when the fan is turned to high. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks from Rhode Island home of the . . .well uh, me.
  • I have a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis. It has automatic climate control. The air conditioning compressor broke, I had it replaced and now the climate control system (the head unit) and the blower is acting goofy. The display lights flicker and the fan blows slow and fast, all at random. It used to work perfectly, smooth and precise. Now, it's just all over the place. This happens whether you run it in automatic or manually. When you run it in manual, the fan speed doesn't have a middle. It either runs full out or slow. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I don't even know where to start.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,324
    Return the car to whomever worked on the A/C last. Give them a chance to correct their errors.
  • My 1997 Crown Vic LX automatic climate control started acting up about a year ago. When I started the engine a repetitive "thunking" would start and get faster and louder when I turned on the AC. Eventually the thunking stopped but now I have no hot/cool air control. But get this! When I make a sharp right turn I get hot air but if I make a sharp left turn i get cold air. Over a 6 month period its very consistent. Also there is no longer any temp control-its either cold air all the time or hot air all the time. Any ideas. I've been leery about pulling the dash because i would have to disable the airbags.
  • Thank you for your response. I did speak with the mechani8c who fixed it. It's a one-man operation that does great work for cheap, but he said that it has nothing to do with what he did. All he did was evacuate the AC system, change the compressor and and then refill the system. I halfway believe him and would very much like to have him help me fix it, but he may be right. He's not the best at troubleshooting specific make/model complicated issues. Sometimes, you just have to go to the dealer to get an expert and pay the price. I was hoping to avoid that.
  • jet1936jet1936 Posts: 1
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 2003 MERC GRAND MARQUIS. I CAN'T FIND A DRIP HOSE FOR MY A/C SYSTEM. THE WATER USED TO GUSH OUT AND LEAVE A LARGE PUDDLE. NOW A GET AMBE A SPOT ABOUT THE SIZE OF A HALF DOLLAR. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE A/C DRIP LINE IS?
  • dudatdudat Posts: 3
    My ventillation syatem started acting up and for a while when I would switch between Vent , A/C, Floor, Defrost, etc.. the dampers would hang up, slowly change, and take a long time to shift to the selected mode. Now it is stuck on Defrost. The A/C blows out the defrost ducts, the heat does also. Any help out there?
  • nwraaanwraaa Posts: 159
    Either the electronic automatic temperature control is defective or the blend door actuator is defective. The temperature control is easy to replace but the blend door is not.
  • thetazthetaz Posts: 8
    I have a 2002 Crown Victoria LX Sport, the one with center console. The AC works fine and blows cold air but it keeps switching from dast to floor. If you take your foot off the acclerator it switches back to the dash. If you put the car in a pull, up hill etc., it switches back to floor. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks
    thetaz
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,619
    That sounds like a vacuum leak to the blending door actuator

Thanks, I will test the vacum system next time I get home
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,619
    It makes sense, since engine vacuum drops as you go uphill or press on the throttle---so with a leak to begin with, any drop in vacuum would put the actuator in a default (no vacuum) mode. Once the throttle is released and it hardly cracked open, you have high vacuum and so the actuator is pulled to the position you set originally.

• nebula7nebula7 Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem I would appreciate if you could reply back as soon as possible with the results, I have a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis.
  • mentormanmentorman Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Nebula7: I am having the exact problem with my 2003 Mercury Gand Marquis. But my repair shop is telling me the actuator is controlled by manual link, not vacuum. I don't think he knows for sure as he has young techs working for him. He says the dash has to come off to change it. But I'm reading on other sites that there are loop tools to take the digital climate control module (CCM) out easily and the actuator is right behind it. I hope someone educates me on this. --- I've had to replace two CCM's in the last four years. The last one I had rebuilt via an outfit on Ebay that guarantees it for life. But the symptoms are different, like the first post said, accelerating or up hill redirects to the defrost, then floor, then back to dash vents. When the CCM went out before, it would do so w/in minutes of the first redirect which I believe was unrelated to the acceleration. I'm really hoping this is a vacuum problem and the actuator can be changed as easily as I've seen on other ford vehicles with digital CCM's. I'll try to find your username and pm you if I find any info on this, try to do the same for me. Thanks
    It is vacum accuated and I can see it from the drivers side floor. Lots of stuff in the way to remove but it can be done. You can contact me at rnavdave@gmail an we can exchange phone #'s so I can call you when I work on it.
  • re55re55 Posts: 6
    I own a 2003 Crown Vic, the heater control went out about 2 years ago, it just went out again. When they go out all heat and air conditioning go to the defroster. Ford tells me this a safety feature. So when it quits you will always has a defroster, the heat and air are only a comfort issue. Nice huh. They are $650.00 and are on back order by 1069 until July 2010, at which time there is supposed to be more than two thousand available. Which tells me they should be put on a recall. When the guy replaced mine 2 years ago he told me they were very poorly designed. To compact area, so over heats and burns out. I'm still looking for the part. The last time I bought the part at a salvage yard for $150.00 and paid $100 to have it installed.
    my 2003 Crown Vic did the same thing for a couple of months before the heater control went out. now it only blows through the defroster. This the second time my has quit and both times it blew out floor, vent, or defroster and would speed up and then slow down. It didn't matter what it was set on.
    Its not stuck, your heater control finally quit completely. Ford tells me its a safety feature. When it quits, it goes to defroster. The heater and air are for comfort, but you need a defroster for safety. read my other posts for more info. I have had my heater control replaced about 2 years ago and it just quit again about a month ago,
    There is 1069 on back order, they are supposed to have them in stock in mid July for a price of $650.00. Does this tell you there is a problem with them?
    Read post #62, #63 #64
    Mine also opened different vents, when I would slow down it would go back to vent or floor, speed up it went to defrost. It did this until it completely quit both times. The new heater control fixed it for almost 2 years. Now it is out again.
    I was told it was probably a vacuum leak on my 2003 Crown Victoria when it did the same thing. It had nothing to do with the vacuum. It was the heater control. The guy who fixed mine the first time did it in the parking lot while I was in a meeting it took him less than 30 minutes. it worked fine for almost 2 years, It just went out again. looking for the part to fix it. read my other posts for more info on this.
  • pun461pun461 Posts: 1
    I have a '03 Mercury Marauder and I just noticed today that my A/C wasn't working. I tried switching to vent, floor, defrost, but nothing would work. I tried turning the fan to various speeds and nothing happened for anything setting. I can hear the compressor kicking on, but only a very little bit of air comes out. It is like it is stuck on low and neither the fan settings or the climate control makes any air come out anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions? And please tell me it's not expensive. Thanks
  • I have a 2007 Grand Marque and the blower motor runs at high all the time. I can't get it to shut off at all. the temperature control works fine as I can maintain any temperature I select. can anyone tell me how to cure this problem. Is it the Blower Speed Control Module?
  • hester22hester22 Posts: 1
    I recently experienced the same problem on my '06 Crown Victoria, after completely testing the vacuum system, found the Climate Control Unit to be bad. After finding out how much they cost, I started doing some research and found a guy in Los Angeles that rebuilds them and sells them on ebay. He offers a lifetime warranty with them, and even sent instructions for installation. Rather than shipping the core back to him, I stopped by his shop as I live in Southern California, and found that he services fleet vehicles for taxi companies. Solved my problem and I will never have to pay again if it breaks. He also rebuilds lighting control modules and a few other Crown Victoria parts.
  • pat2003pat2003 Posts: 1
    My 2003 Marauder blower stopped working suddenly. All else worked. I removed the electronic speed control module right behind the passenger valve cover on the duct. After removeing it, I opened the module. To my surprise the solder had cracked around one of the main terminals. I soldered and put it back together. Now blowing my socks off. Back in service in 60 mins. !!
    I hope this cheap fix helps you. Saved me $150.
  • snorkelbobbysnorkelbobby Posts: 19
    edited July 2010
    I just finished fixing a 2003 Grand Marquis for air blowing out the defrost only. This is the goverment mandated failure mode.
    The problem is that the vacuum harness is leaking vacuum where it connects to the back of the conrol head. The vacuum harness connection ports relax after several years. You can replace the vacuum harness (F5VY-19C827-A) $20, or just clamp it tight with 2 ten inch tie straps from the Lowes or Home Depot.
    Pull the trim covering the control head straight out. remove the control head (4 screws). Remove 2 torx screws holding the bottom part of control head in place. Feed a tie strap around this part so it clamps the vacuum harness to the control head. I put one tie strap on either side of the black vacuum supply hose in the center of the harness. Operate the controls to be sure it is fixed.
    If you wish, you can disconnect the vacuum harness under the dash for easier working room. It just pulls out.

I can post a picture if needed.

Gerry